[LAEM] It's all up in the air

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:58 pm

I think they might do a NGE live action movie without fan service. I think the main issue is finding someone who would love to direct it, and marketing it since Evangelion is not very well known.

I'm not sure Anno would want to do a $100 million big budget american movie. Sure it might help him become more popular, but I don't see that happening.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:40 pm

Just in case people havent heard this:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2010-02-04
55:30 onwards.

'so theres actually movement on that project?'
'yes. Its not only just a movement, its very active'

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:07 pm

View Original PostJayfive wrote:'so theres actually movement on that project?'

They're been saying that for the last 5-6 years. And nothing has happened, not even a director being signed.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:44 pm

So nothing new in that podcast at all?

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

Postby GAP » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:13 pm

There is always Rebuild........
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Electric Sachiel » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Meh....i think i can kiss the dream of a well done Eva live action film goodbye. With recent Hollywood screwups like "The Last Airbender" (which by the way, couldnt even adapt a relatively simple hit cartoon like Avatar the last airbender) theres little hope that there would be a studio, crew, producers, and a director that would get how to bring Eva to the big screen.

Honestly, if theres one studio that might be able to do it, it may be Legendary Pictures. Their Batman the Dark Knight and Hellboy series were not bad. But alas i still have a bad feeling about Eva.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 pm

I hate to say this (and I know this makes me look like a pompuous ass), but in my mind there's never been anything else but a total confidence that should LAEM ever see daylight, it would be a total piece of crap. The only things that could even in theory be worthy of watching would be the CGI and ogleworthy not-exactly-14-year-old female bodies in skintight suits.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:03 am

Yeah, I can't see a very faithful adaptation of Evangelion coming out of the allusive LAEM project. If they want to make a movie about giant metallic-clad beasts fighting weird creatures from outer-space (or wherever) with a ton of philosophy, symbolism, and metaphors thrown in the mix, awesome! The Matrix proved you could be just as cool as Ghost in the Shell and Megazone 23 without needing to be straight remakes of them. Likewise, an Eva-esque film could be just as cool as Eva, but still make the changes necessary for an American audience and story-structure. That will create its own fan base and attract those interested into the inspiration behind the films, all without pissing off Eva fans because it wasn't "true to the original source material" or whatever. We already have Rebuild whiners, we don't also need LAEM whiners.

View Original PostJayfive wrote:'so theres actually movement on that project?'

Haha! "Movement".
"Active movement."
Beyond sounding like terms for the disposal of crap that this news resembles, I've worked on "active moving projects" before. Heck, I worked 2 years for a TV pilot that was 6 years in the making before I was even hired. This "active movement" sounds less active than that TV pilot project.

KogareruAsuka
Adam

Postby KogareruAsuka » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:24 am

DAMN YOU Live Action Eva!!! WHY MUST YOU ALWAYS DISSAPOINT!!!
Everytime I see something that eludes to it, it's always ruined by me realising that it was written in 2006 or that it's just the same old crap that's already been done to death.

I was looking forward to it a lot... even if it was crap, it wouldn't have changed my opinion on the original series... just would've been something new and shiny to look at... and maybe, just maybe, it would have been decent... but now I'm just so jaded by the whole shenanigan...

I'm going to reserve myself to waiting till someting concrete is revealed after rebuild is all over and old news... I don't wanna hear about "movement"... a chicken with no head still has "movement".. doesn't mean anything.

Oh and if they call Asuka Kate Rose, or whatever, I'll burn down New Zealand.
:asuka_geh:
Scheiss!... Even without my umbilical cable attached... I've still got 12,000 plates of fortified armor! And I've got my AT field!...There's no way I can lose! EAT THIS ARSCHLOCH!

TaintedHero
Adam

Postby TaintedHero » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:33 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Haha! "Movement".
"Active movement."
Beyond sounding like terms for the disposal of crap that this news resembles, I've worked on "active moving projects" before. Heck, I worked 2 years for a TV pilot that was 6 years in the making before I was even hired. This "active movement" sounds less active than that TV pilot project.

Sounds like what happened for the supposive halo movie, got a bit of attention, names were thrown around, fizzeled. They made some damn cool live action trailers which I always thought could have made a good movie. (I'd much rather of had a halo movie over a game, live action trailers were so promising)

I would be more then happy to see live action eva shorts for the fans, Maybe 10-15 minute longs burst of Eva-scenes in live action. Shorter segments means they could put a lot more effort into it without having to hold up the bar for a feature length film. It would be more for the current fans, unless done well enough to attract main stream attention outside of Japan. Alas it probably won't happen because I want it to happen.

After Avatar I have lowered my expectations and desires of any live adaptation of things i love. I feel they would have to go off on a completely diffrent side story or even new characters and story for it to really be something.

View Original PostBiQ wrote:... worthy of watching would be the CGI and ogleworthy not-exactly-14-year-old female bodies in skintight suits.

I am sure hollywood will find a way to get 18+ women to fill the role, not like they haven't put fully developed adult actresses in place of what should be there. Hollywood does not care about you, only the paying masses who see a busty redhead in spandex blowing up crap in a giant robot.

KogareruAsuka
Adam

Postby KogareruAsuka » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:36 am

did anyone watch DBEvolution?

that was an abortion of a shitheap... hope they wouldn't do anything that bad

EDIT: sorry- in hindsight I should have said "that movie should have been an abortion... "
Scheiss!... Even without my umbilical cable attached... I've still got 12,000 plates of fortified armor! And I've got my AT field!...There's no way I can lose! EAT THIS ARSCHLOCH!

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Electric Sachiel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:02 am

View Original PostKogareruAsuka wrote:did anyone watch DBEvolution?

that was an abortion of a shitheap... hope they wouldn't do anything that bad

EDIT: sorry- in hindsight I should have said "that movie should have been an abortion... "

While Dragon Ball Evolution was a steaming pile of crap, it still wasnt nearly as bad as "The Last Airbender" Honestly from initial conception to the technicalities of using the correct choreography and pacing. Its all wrong!

At least Dragon Ball had a director that didnt have an odd fascination of having EXTREME close-ups to the character's face in a really uncomfortable awkward manner. Damn you M.Night!!!! :fistshake:

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:02 am

It would be nice to think that future anime live-action adaptions learn from the mistakes of DBEvolution and Airbender. After all these were box-office disasters aswell.

Chief among these mistakes is 'dont get a director whose last work of note was 'Mark Wahlberg running away from killer wind'

Also (and this is from wiki):
Peter Bradshaw of The Guardian noted an unfortunate linguistic problem that reduced British viewers to "a state of nervous collapse". In British English the word "bender" is slang for a homosexual male, giving an entirely different meaning to lines such as "I could tell at once that you were a bender, and that you would realise your destiny."

:fuyu_facepalm:

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:32 pm

I think someone can make a good or great Eva movie depending who writes or direct its. The Last Air Bender is not even a anime live action movie and I wish people would stop calling it one.

Also saying a Eva movie can't work because Dragon Ball Evolution and Speed Racer is like saying people should not make superhero movies because of "Howard the Duck" (1986), "Steel" (1997), "Batman & Robin" (1997), "Catwoman" (2004), and "Johan Hex" (2010).

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Electric Sachiel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:19 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:I think someone can make a good or great Eva movie depending who writes or direct its. The Last Air Bender is not even a anime live action movie and I wish people would stop calling it one.

Its true that the Last Airbender anime live action movie, but the source material, the way its executed is pretty close to that of an anime. Im just using it as an example. If studios cant get simpler series right like Last Airbender or Dragon Ball then theres little hope for something as complicated as Eva to be translated faithfully on screen.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Jayfive » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:25 pm

The Last Air Bender is not even a anime live action movie and I wish people would stop calling it one.

I simply saying that any anime adaptions can learn from the mistakes of this adaption of an animated series. Anime or not, it was still a total cock-up. And for easily identifiable reason.

They could also learn from some of the mistakes of the two transformers movies - in that you make the robotic protagonists a bit more easily identifiable so that it doesnt look like an amorphous gear-shifting mess when they are fighting.

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Grimmjow » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:52 pm

New activity? Orly? Awesome.

Oh wait, they said the same exact thing last year....

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:17 pm

the live action movie will (not) advance into production
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:12 am

I think this project will be dead for a very long time unless someone else picks up the rights. I think the main trouble would be finding someone would want to direct it. Most directors might look at Eva as a cartoon and will pass on the project.

CORE
Embryo

Postby CORE » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:43 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:They're been saying that for the last 5-6 years. And nothing has happened, not even a director being signed.

Same thing happened to every other established franchise that made it to film.

Being delayed to watch transformers performance and extended production time due to Rebuild are perfectly fine excuses for the long absence of talk on it as well.. Not to mention the way weta workshop talk about the project now is not that its off but that they want to get back on it so perhaps they where replaced.
Which is the most telling. If you drop Weta off a project your obviously very serious about it.

Also if you want design to be as close to the series as possible daunt go asking for 14 year olds cast!!!! require a dropped rating for demographics and end up like early Harry potter and you would not be able to do the eva gore and would just generally ruin the feel. I would hope for a M15+ at least. And dream for a a R18 Tarinteno budget Cult.
We should be hoping for M15+ and older castings than mentioned (so unsupported!) in series at least if you want to be even slightly pleased with the result.

Has any one seen Battleship Yahmato? Perhaps a Japanese production is possible but i wonder if they would go with a European cast like AVG suggested originally. I think that film had some strong CG and production displayed. Still yet to see it.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”