Shoot 'em up games

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

[Video Games] Shoot 'em up games

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:45 pm

So I've been really into shooting games (I mean shooter shooters, not that Halo/Call of Duty business) lately. I'm mostly into the bullet hell variety like the Touhou series and Ikaruga. Also been playing some classics like Darius and Xevious and one called Kobo that's different from scrolling shooters. Anyway this thread is for shooting game recommendations, reviews, discussion, etc. Let's talk about STGs.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:50 pm

Since I got my Dreamcast, I've been playing a bit of Gradius and Super Contra via NesterDC. Man those games are tough.

I've always been a fan of the original Contra, as well as Lifeforce, which is a sort of spin-off of Gradius. I've also got Ikaruga. It's alright, but I hardly ever play it.

My girlfriend badly wants a copy of Radiant Silvergun for Sega Saturn. That game is expensive to come by on eBay.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:01 pm

Touhou is awesome though I'm still a newfag at it. :asuka_thumbsup:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:33 am

I've been known to dabble in the shooters from time to time, though it isn't my favorite genre. Personal favorites include:

R-Type Final
Einhander
RayCrisis
G-Darius
UN Squadron
Axelay
Super C
Silpheed
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

DIDDY
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby DIDDY » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:01 am

Last shooter I played was Super Dimension Fortress Macross​ on the NES. :w00:

NOT WORTH YOUR TIME.
ONLY SMART PEOPLE LIKE EVANGELION?

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:13 am

Silver Surfer NES - Got pretty close to beating it a couple of times. It isn't THAT hard.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:46 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:R-Type Final

Aw shit, I totally forgot about R-Type. I love R-Type. I've got R-Type Delta, and R-Type Final. I want to pick up the rest of the entries in the series, despite having never beaten either of them. Maybe I should do that first...

It's a little bit different than your typical spaceship shooter, but does anyone remember Sub-Terrania? It was a pretty tough game on Genesis. While difficult, it was more of a learning curve difficulty, rather than a memorization/white knuckle/luck difficulty like in games like R-Type, Gradius, or Ikaruga.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:27 am

Yeah, I played Sub-Terrania on SEGA Channel back in the day but I don't remember it well. I should play that again sometime. I should probably pop Super R-Type in my SNES someday soon too.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:53 am

Nothing tops Ikaruga. Best shooter ever.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:57 am

View Original PostZapX wrote:Yeah, I played Sub-Terrania on SEGA Channel back in the day but I don't remember it well. I should play that again sometime. I should probably pop Super R-Type in my SNES someday soon too.

Ahh... good ol' level 4. :nyao:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:37 am

There are some new Japanese doujin bullet hell shooters on PSN. I'm playing one calle Hitogata Happa that's pretty fun. It feels more like an arcade shmup. It has some quirks, like you lose a life when you bomb and you have to wait for the kamikaze bomb to charge. Also, you switch characters throughout the levels and you have to die in order to switch but you get used to it fast. It's on PC and PSN so check it out if you're into bullet hell.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:49 am

Back when I still had enough gigabytes to keep Linux installed just for the hell of it, I sank more than a few hours into a fiendishly hard game called Xsoldier.

There was also Xpilot, but I'm not sure that meets the OP criteria.

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:04 am

Gigawing, if only for the ludicrous scores. 1943 is one of my favorite classics, and if I ever get the chance, I'll try Radiant Silvergun on my computer via emulator.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

manny_kaltz
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby manny_kaltz » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Does the Metal Slug Series count as a shmup?
'RAWKET LAUNCHER!', anyone?

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:35 pm

Sunset Riders for SNES. Hard, still haven't beat the rose fella.

Nothin beats a good game of call of duty tho, my attention span is longer for fps.
Mikoroshi Tou Kara Zutto

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:34 am

I remember liking a scrolling shooter called Stinger for NES that my neighbor had. I haven't played it in forever, but it was a pretty fun game to me back then.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:17 pm

Well, this is a thread I just have to pop in. I'm a Cave fanatic these days... owning Espgaluda, Dodonpachi Daioujou and Mushihime-sama for PS2, Ketsui and Espgaluda 2 for xbox360, playing rest of them on mame quite lot. (Ketsui also on mame since the support materialized and I don't own the console itself yet...)

And yet, I pretty much suck at Cave's shmups, honestly I'm not sure if I'll ever clear any of them. Still I always come back to them to get my ass handed to me. Such is the way of Cave fanatic.

Some achievements, or how much I suck at them:
Dodonpachi: 1-6, score around 22M
Dodonpachi Daioujou, 1-4, score around 45M (different run though, ending after 1-3 midboss)
Ketsui: 1-2 boss, score around 7M ...but I haven't played this much yet.
Espgaluda: lvl. 4, don't remember score, not much
...and so on.

Ikaruga is quite fine too. Own that one for Gamecube, got as far as 3rd level boss.

I've always liked Gradius games better than R-type games for some reason. Maybe because I was exposed to Gradius first...? Only R-type I honestly like is Leo, which is the "oddball" R-type.

I used to play JRPGs, but then got tired and don't really have time to invest to them anymore. STGs are fun in the way you can pop it in and enjoy 10-30 minutes adrenaline rush and then go on other business.

Ili3kca3k
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ili3kca3k » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:53 pm

I've hardly played any I blame my lack of an older console. Been meaning to buy Rez for sometime if that counts.
Just who the hell do you think I am?!

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:19 pm

There are plenty of them on PC. The Touhou series is a good place to start. They're great games, just have some weirdos in the fandom.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:33 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:There are plenty of them on PC. The Touhou series is a good place to start. They're great games, just have some weirdos in the fandom.

Ever read Yukkuri doujins?
Anyway, Galaga is my favorite shooting game of all time. I've never had enough money to beat it, though.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”