Final Fantasy series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Final Fantasy series

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:43 pm

View Original Postrobersora wrote:Well, you've answered it yourself... Reddit. It's easily the community with the worst opinions I know of out there, they really shouldn't be taken seriously.

You know, you make a good point. I don't need to swear off the whole internet, just Reddit. :D
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:24 pm

@hui43210:

SPOILERS:
SPOILER: Show
The reason it's a shitshow is that they are selling something as a remake that isn't one. It's kinda like false marketing, though I don't want to be too judgemental,
it seems the latest trailer which I haven't seen yet shows quite a bit, so I guess they are kinda making clear it's not a remake and more of a Rebuild (heh). Still most people who haven't played OG FFVII (which they should instead of playing this...) will go in expecting a remake...which spoils story elements at the beginning, like Zack's identity. Those people have fallen into a trap basically.

Also, I'd be a hypocrite if I had something against the core of the idea when I enjoy Rebuild. I don't. My issue is,
as has always been, that I don't think Nomura is a good director. Compare how Kitase made Sephiroth the menacing presence we know and love and how Nomura tries to do the same. It's silly and Kitase is light years ahead of Nomura. I will always appreciate his amazing character designs for 97's title, but I just don't get why he's directing this.

Btw I agree with your comment about online negativity.
I don't like wjat I'm seeing of the remake but I don't hate the people responsible or anything weird like that lol
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:51 pm

I just find it funny that Nomura automaticaly gets blamed for anything people don't like even though Kitase is also directing this too, and it has exact same writer as the original.

I just find people's propensity to shit on things tiring at my age.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:57 pm

Kitase directed FFVII, but he is only the producer on Remake. And OG FFVII was written by Nojima and Kitase together. I think Nojima did an amazing job on FFVII, but in both cases, with Kitase and Nomura, every choice goes through them and they are the people responsible for the final vision.
Also everything visual definitely is Nomura, including designs and action scenes.
He is to be blamed or praised for the final result, depending on how you feel.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:53 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Also: Tread carefully, everyone: the final trailer is out and it's apparently spoiler-filled mess.

Yes, yes it is. And I saw everything! :w00t:

Hell, that trailer alone did what the one with the Turks couldn't make me do... Buy the game :tongue:
Now the wait game begins... It's not like I have anywhere else to go...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:05 pm

Thanks to glorious bestbuy, my summer 2019 pre order will only arrive next week, by which point I'll be spoiled against my will.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:00 pm

It took Zap and I from Thursday evening until Sunday evening and we're both absolutely in love, all over again. We nabbed digital Standard on PSN since Amazon said until Thursday proper that our physical Deluxe preorder (from E3 2019) was arriving today on the 14th (surprise surprise, it arrived April 10th, after all).

"Quite possibly the greatest game ever made" indeed.

I'm not about to spoil anybody here (trust me that you'll want to experience this on your own), but just to lightly touch upon some aspects without giving any full details:

Yes, the last two chapters do fly off the rails Rebuild-style, but honestly? That makes me love this Remake even more, provided the craziness has the necessary context down the line. Besides the ending, 7R's incredibly faithful to the original, and even gives us 3 different "date" (Resolution Scenes in Chapter 14) outcomes like the original.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:42 pm

Ohhh man!
The hype train will arrive tomorrow at my house :w00t: (Why don't we have a "hype train Smilie"?)
I've been out of Youtube and silenced any Reddit and Facebook communities for days as to not spoil myself.
I can hardly wait! :clap:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:29 pm

I'm looking forward to yours and everyone else's thoughts (admittedly I'm a little depressed by those who hated the wacky ending since the game itself was damn gold).

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:55 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I'm looking forward to yours and everyone else's thoughts (admittedly I'm a little depressed by those who hated the wacky ending since the game itself was damn gold).

I just passed the

mission with Avalache where you meet Roche -my opinion on him still pending-

Should we discuss here or is there a thread dedicated to the Remake? :uhh:
Arguably I could discuss in Reddit or the Lifestream, but I'd rather talk with people primed to overthinking stuff via Evangelion :D

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:43 pm

My copy of the deluxe edition came in but I will not play it until I finish Persona 5 Royal.

Tempting though it may be....
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:32 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Arguably I could discuss in Reddit or the Lifestream, but I'd rather talk with people primed to overthinking stuff via Evangelion :D

Exactly, I'd love to discuss things with everybody here~ I will say spoiler-free that IMO the Remake's ending is quite straightforward instead of, uh, the popular theories that have been taking shape. (And yes, of course Zap and I took the "frame by frame analysis" approach to the final chapter, why wouldn't we? :3 )

One very helpful thing to understand the story/character's feelings is reading the Story sections from the Map menu (L1/L2) where you can view chapter by chapter and different Discoveries, to boot!

A little game mechanics commentary, but no details on what/how:

I love how you can collect different Wall Market Dresses and there's even an Affection system at play (in Midgar of all places!), still!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:31 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Exactly, I'd love to discuss things with everybody here~ I will say spoiler-free that IMO the Remake's ending is quite straightforward instead of, uh, the popular theories that have been taking shape. (And yes, of course Zap and I took the "frame by frame analysis" approach to the final chapter, why wouldn't we? :3 )

Count me in!
Let me just finish the game :wink:

I just passed the scene where you meet Aerith...
that dream sequence before she wakes you up, though... Oh my! :nosebleed:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:59 pm

Replying to Seele-01  SPOILER: Show
Claudia looked so good! I was happy ^_^ I wonder if Tifa's dad will still be named Brian since that's his name in his old concept sketches?

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:31 am

Just reached Wall Market and I can already tell this is gonna be crazier and more roundabout than the original :asuka_miffed:

Also, that sequence with Aerith before, at the park, where Cloud literally blocks out Zack's name! Holy shit! :cringe:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:11 pm

Yeeep. Things get even crazier, regarding that situation (I absolutely love how they work in Cloud's white noise headaches this go around).

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:26 am

I still need to

beat the god damn hellhouse! My first attempt was 40 minutes long, so I must of been doing something wrong. Learned afterwards the color of the house indicates it's current weakness.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:59 am

They should have called it FFVII Rebuild. It's a weird sequel meta commentary that retcons Advent Children. Also I appreciate them saying that the original ending was a bad end.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:00 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I still need to...

YES!
OMG it took me six tries! :lol:

My method to beating it:
First thing I did was use the Asses materia. Cloud is equipped with every element and Aerith with as many as she could carry. Aerith's Arcane barrier/doublecast field is great in this battle.
When the barrier is down, cast the opposite element. Most of the trick is in attacking like crazy in the few precious seconds it's unprotected and in learning the attack patterns to dodge. When you need to dodge, take control of Cloud 'cuz he runs faster. :emogendo:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:46 pm

What's funny is in Hard Mode, a certain Boss battle is a yet another Evangelion reference like the old D-Type equipment. Sadly it's not reflected in the English version (information in tagged spoilers below):
Proud Clod Unit Zero (In English, it's called "Pride and Joy")

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”