Final Fantasy series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:09 pm

Is it really surprising, considering they also added the button-press to the gunblade or any other character-specific minigames just to activate limit breaks? I blame FF6 (specifically the mechanics of Sabin, Cyan and Setzer's special abilities) for this btw, which is another reason I rank FF4 slightly higher. They didn't particularly bother me at the time, but it started a trend that just won't die now.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:19 pm

Dissidia- Final Fantasy also since it nice to see villains that people pretty forgot about like Neo Exdeath, Cloud of Darkness, The Emperor and Golbez return in the game.

Forgive me, I will play the previous FFs, go to wikis, lurk in forums and right walkthroughs until I "know" the games as if I had played them myself!

Is it really surprising, considering they also added the button-press to the gunblade or any other character-specific minigames just to activate limit breaks? I blame FF6 (specifically the mechanics of Sabin, Cyan and Setzer's special abilities) for this btw, which is another reason I rank FF4 slightly higher. They didn't particularly bother me at the time, but it started a trend that just won't die now.

What is wrong with that? It is lot more fun that way and I didn't play FFIV.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:27 pm

NemZ wrote:Is it really surprising, considering they also added the button-press to the gunblade or any other character-specific minigames just to activate limit breaks? I blame FF6 (specifically the mechanics of Sabin, Cyan and Setzer's special abilities) for this btw, which is another reason I rank FF4 slightly higher. They didn't particularly bother me at the time, but it started a trend that just won't die now.

I really liked the use of the shoulder triggers for Squall and Irvine's Limits. It made a lot of sense.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Well If you liked the button mashing for limits or not, you're going to encounter them a hell of a lot when you play Dissidia.

for those who haven't already seen it, I cover some of Dissidia in the thread I made for it.
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=6131&highlight=

The Boost thing was rather tedious, more so in the fact you had to stop periodically or else you screwed and had to start all over, and by that time the summon animation was already done.

The Eva Monkey wrote:I really liked the use of the shoulder triggers for Squall and Irvine's Limits. It made a lot of sense.
I'll agree to that, seeing as how a lot of shooters on the PS platform used those as trigger buttons anyway.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:16 pm

As I haven't played any of the FFs past 6 (minus the first Crystal Chronicles), I can't really pass judgment on the games themselves, but I can pass judgment on all of the "fffff"-ing and bitching over what's better:

loldongs
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:24 pm

Omegagouki wrote:but I can pass judgment on all of the "fffff"-ing and bitching over what's better:

loldongs

A winner is you! :clap:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:28 pm

It came off as gimmicky to me at first, and just one more thing that was tedious as the game went on. it would be a better fit in a game that was real-time and focused on one character... in a slower, party-based game it feels at odds with the medium.

Don't get me wrong, I like action, fighting, FPS, rhythm, racing and puzzle games just fine. I just don't want to play a crappy, tacked-on version of them when I sit down with an RPG.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:32 pm

When will my two great passions in life share hot passionate love?

GF summon animations, and dance dance revolution.

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:08 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I really liked the use of the shoulder triggers for Squall and Irvine's Limits. It made a lot of sense.

I liked that too. I really liked Irvine's limits, especially the ones that resulted in giant energy beams or explosions.

When will my two great passions in life share hot passionate love?

Somebody, get Square Enix on the phone. We need a full-blown FF game that uses a DDR dancepad. Or a guitar hero guitar, THE POWER OF ROCK/DANCE OVERCOMES ALL.

--

Another awesome thing about FF8: Zell's desire for a hotdog. (Yes, yes... it was bread in the Japanese version bla bla culture yadda yadda dynamic translation is my homeboy etc etc) There should've been a hotdog sidequest where you have to procure a bottle of mustard, ketchup, a jar of relish, a pack of buns and a pack of hotdogs. Then you have to find a grill. Or else use the Ragnarok's engine. Your reward for finishing the sidequest would be the New York-style hotdog as an item (I don't know what it'd do) and the Guardian Force Chargrillion, dark god of barbaque and potato salad.

In other news, I've played a little of FF12 recently and I like it; I'm so happy that random battles have been done away with in the mainline FF games. Looking forwards to FF13... the main one with the chick as the main character . . . you can't go wrong with a game that has a guy with a baby chocobo that lives in his afro.

[ragenerd rage]The other two "FF13's" don't interest me all that much, they just strike me as self-indulgent projects for Nomura. I liked his older character designs, but there just came this point (I think it was Seymour) where his designs went from modern and stylish to "lol wut" territory [/ragenerd rage from an Yoshitaka Amano fanboy]

Another crazy idea I had once: FF8 sequel, full-action, starring Squall's son, who is his exact opposite, voiced by Ryan Drummond. (AKA: Sonic the Hedgehog's only true and official American VA) It'd either be awful or awesome.
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:15 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:When will my two great passions in life share hot passionate love?

...you remember we're talking about Japan right?
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:53 pm

Good lord, what's wrong with all of you. Are you guys really so mainstream that you can't appreciate the true beauty of an end of console generation package? Don't you realize that before all the crap that was PS2 genre Final Fantasy, there was one final release that perfected the formula? My goodness people, have you not been exposed to the beauty that is FFIX?

Zidane might be the damn best protagonist ever revealed in a Final Fantasy game. Normally, you get some serious, superficial, emo character that goes through a quarter-life crisis in the second disk and becomes best buds with everyone (read: "Alright everyone, let's mosey!"). in a revolutionary turn, Squaresoft decided to make it so the main character was not, in fact, a blubbering pile of nerves and Linkin Park. Instead, we got what was essentially Goku with a ladies man personality.

Let us review:
* Monkey tail? Yes.
* Super Sayian Transformation? Level Four, as a matter of fact!
* Constantly cheerful despite bleak situations? Ray of sunshine on a dark day.
* Breaks the cliche? Starts off with a thief main character instead of a warrior.
* Sappy love crap? Save it for the fourth disk.
*Buttmonkey? Steiner, and even he is badass.

Not to mention an above average soundtrack and graphics that were beautiful despite being chibified all around. People love to lament about how the stories of FFVI and FFVIII are deep and put FFVII to shame. I lament that those people have decided since those are the best games, they don't need to try FIX since it will be "more of the same".
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:02 pm

The Bastard King wrote:Good lord, what's wrong with all of you. Are you guys really so mainstream that you can't appreciate the true beauty of an end of console generation package? Don't you realize that before all the crap that was PS2 genre Final Fantasy, there was one final release that perfected the formula? My goodness people, have you not been exposed to the beauty that is FFIX?

Zidane might be the damn best protagonist ever revealed in a Final Fantasy game. Normally, you get some serious, superficial, bosnian character that goes through a quarter-life crisis in the second disk and becomes best buds with everyone (read: "Alright everyone, let's mosey!"). in a revolutionary turn, Squaresoft decided to make it so the main character was not, in fact, a blubbering pile of nerves and Linkin Park. Instead, we got what was essentially Goku with a ladies man personality.

Let us review:
* Monkey tail? Yes.
* Super Sayian Transformation? Level Four, as a matter of fact!
* Constantly cheerful despite bleak situations? Ray of sunshine on a dark day.
* Breaks the cliche? Starts off with a thief main character instead of a warrior.
* Sappy love crap? Save it for the fourth disk.
*Buttmonkey? Steiner, and even he is badass.

Not to mention an above average soundtrack and graphics that were beautiful despite being chibified all around. People love to lament about how the stories of FFVI and FFVIII are deep and put FFVII to shame. I lament that those people have decided since those are the best games, they don't need to try FIX since it will be "more of the same".

Well EXCUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSEEEE me princess. While I did try to borrow a friend's copy, his Disc1 was so scratched to hell I couldn't make it beyond the cut scene of the gang escaping on the airship after their facade of a performance to that fat ass Queen.
Proud Member of F.A.P.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:15 pm

Final Fantasy 7 has the whole nostalgia thing going for me. That's the first game that made me realize "Oh snap! You don't just jump on things!" And it was mature because the Mr. T stereotype cursed a lot. Fun game, great memories. Though all the spinoffs including that pretty Advent Children movie were pass for me. (The movie....not so good. Visually...I came)

Final Fantasy 8 I think has the more mature story. I haven't played it since I was...what....15? 16? When did it come out? Regardless I think if I played it now I'd love it a lot more because as much fun as I had with FF8 I remember in the story as a kid I missed the pointless cursing and lack of deaths.

Final Fantasy 9- That was the kicks! Loved it.

Final Fantasy X- I don't know how you can hate this game. It was fun fun fun. Sure the lead character was more homoerotic than a Gus Van Sant movie but he was a fun dude. And Yuna....growl.

Final Fantasy X-2 - That could be the best worst Final Fantasy game maybe. Aside from the rampant sexual innuendo's and the fueling of so many juvenile teenage sexual fantasies I don't remember much about it.

Sadly (?) I then got into college and haven't played the online game or Final Fantasy 12 (how was it? I've seen ads for the Bunny Girl but that's it).

If I can get my shit together and buy a PS3 I do plan to catch up and play Metal Gear Solid 4 AND Final Fantasy 13 (which looks AMAZING)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:16 pm

The Bastard King wrote:I lament that those people have decided since those are the best games, they don't need to try FIX since it will be "more of the same".

FF9 is the one that made me stop bothering. I hated the system in that game (the same idiotic weapons > abilities deal that FFTA had), didn't care about the characters except maybe the little mage guy and felt like the whole game was actually patronizing me by catering to the fantasy elements of the old games but in such a childish manner. What abslutely killed it however was that frog-beast tounge-waggling-thing I was supposed to let into my party. Oh hell no. When I saw that I just turned it off an sold the game soon after... no thank you, Squarenix.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:30 pm

PuppetChaos wrote:Another awesome thing about FF8: Zell's desire for a hotdog. (Yes, yes... it was bread in the Japanese version bla bla culture yadda yadda dynamic translation is my homeboy etc etc)

I think the cafeteria secretly employed Kazuma Azuma.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:53 pm

NemZ wrote:When I saw that I just turned it off an sold the game soon after... no thank you, Squarenix.
Squaresoft.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:16 pm

It might sound pathetic of me, but I liked nearly every FF game I've played so far (X-2 was the only one I recoiled in horror from), and I've played a fair chunk of them. I know that doesn't make me a super hardcore awesome gamer with serious gamer cred, dude, but really... I don't think anyone would give a crap about my opinion even if I had serious gamer cred. :grin:

NemZ wrote: What abslutely killed it however was that frog-beast tounge-waggling-thing I was supposed to let into my party.

I think Quina is a pretty cool guy, eh devours monsters alive and doesn't afraid of anything.

I'm resisting the urge to do the /m/ "BREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD?!?!!" meme.

BREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:12 pm

PuppetChaos wrote:

I'm resisting the urge to do the /m/ "BREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD?!?!!" meme.

BREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

Bread so good, it makes you do Martial Arts.
Proud Member of F.A.P.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:31 pm

PuppetChaos wrote:X-2 was the only one I recoiled in horror from

Everyone recoiled in horror from it. The only person I know to actually have actually enjoyed it has never not worn pink a day in her life. Take that for what you will.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:43 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I will say this about FF8: the Boost command has to be the worst idea in the history of Final Fantasy.

Could they not think of a better way of involving the player in the summon animations? Quite often, if it's not a major battle, I just let the shit play. I'm not going to bust my nads tapping a button as many times as possible.

I argee since that annoyed that the hell out of me but I did like Ultimecia more then Sephiroth.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”