Final Fantasy series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:44 am

Final Fantasy 8 is not better than any Final Fantasy.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 am

I love them both equality but FF7 has the best stroy and character devotement in the series in my opinion. I love FF8 as the next guy but FF7 will always be my main favorite in series next to FFX, FF4, and FF3.
Last edited by Guyver Spawn on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:53 am

This thread is now about Final Fantasy VI.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:01 pm

I guess hadn't been here that long but I would expect this some other user, not Eva Monkey. Still, FF8 is just as good as FF7 even if the materia system easier than the Junction system.

@Guyver Spawn, I agree while FF8 is a good game, FF7 does have a better story especially since it is not as convoluted when you reach the second disc and it doesn't focus two characters.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:24 pm

You know what was awesome about Final Fantasy VIII? Drawing magic. I could do that shit for hours.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:26 pm

And Quistis dominatrix meganekko teacher fantasies.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:10 pm

ZapalacX wrote:And Quistis dominatrix meganekko teacher fantasies.

BOING.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:11 pm

BattleMonkey wrote:Final Fantasy 8 is not better than any Final Fantasy.

It's better than Final Fantasy X, which is the worst RPG ever made.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 pm

7 had a good story but I hated the materia system, and it has only gotten worse from there. 9 was the last in the series that approached the more individualized style I prefer (characters are unique, not a graphic shell you pour any combination of abilities into that you like) but the overly forced style of that one just didn't draw me in. I sold it before even finishing the first disk and haven't felt compelled to play any FF game of a higher number since.

From my perspective 4 was the best of the series, with 6 a close second but also starting to go out on that ledge with the esper system. If it were possible to combine the individuality of FF4 with the unique advancement trees of Secret of Mana 3 (or DQ8, if you prefer), the teamwork techs of Chrono Trigger and make espers/GFs/eidolons/whatever bind permanently to a host once assigned I would be a very, very happy man.

As far as 8 goes, I never cast a single spell except by using items. Why bother? The system encourages you to just draw 100 of them to junction and let GFs or limit breaks do all the work. At least the card game was kinda fun though, for a little while.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:27 pm

Drawing magic. I could do that shit for hours.

Lol me too and I did that a lot when I first got that the game.

It's better than Final Fantasy X, which is the worst RPG ever made.

FFX sure beats the crap out of Mystic Quest IMO.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby PuppetChaos » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:58 pm

Eva Monkey wrote:Final Fantasy 8 is better than Final Fantasy 7.

Hells yeah. :peace:

Further blasphemy: I liked Squall better than Cloud. I think it was the jacket and that he actually got with one of the chicks as opposed to the "lol eternally unresolved love triangle" emotional constipation plot that the Japanese love.

And he did crazy shit like jumping down ten stories (after getting tortured for hours, at that) just to hamstring a random soldier, taking on a powerful sorceress just by himself; leaping into space to save someone and then finding a spaceship and killing monsters that came straight out of Alien; and lastly: storming a guarded cryogenic facility that belongs to a nation technologically advanced enough to blow the shit out of the faction you belong to, just to get his girlfriend back.

Oh, and he became the Fearless Leader of an entire mercenary organization.

The only real big thing that bugged me about FF8 was the convoluted menus. And Quistis' tutorials.

Quistis: Do you know how to use your Gunblade, Squall?

Squall: No, I graduated from an elite mercenary academy, becoming the best of the best, surviving real battles with magical creatures and giant robots, without having the damnedest idea on how to use my weapon.

The Draw/Junction system was awesome, I can spend 15 minutes just screwing around with the Junctions and enjoy it (I love character/stat tweaking, so FF8 was a wet dream for me), although I preferred refining items for spells.

I also liked Double/Triple and the Cerebus summon. It was FF6's Gem Box on crack.

Actually, a lot of things people hated about FF8 were the things I liked. I liked that FF8 was willing to use an 'unconventional' magic system.
Although when it comes down to "Best FF Evar" it's FF6, hands down. FF4's a close second, Cecil was one of my favorite RPG heroes.... a paladin who isn't a pussy? It's more likely than you think. I liked FF9 for all its oldschool flavor, but it felt like a little too recycled in places.

Worst FF? I really can't come up with one, because I haven't played them all... wait, FFX-2. God, what were they thinking? Even the skimpy fanservice dress-up thing and Rikku's yellow bikini top couldn't make up for the sheer pain... I couldn't make it past 20 minutes of gameplay.

There is no smiley appropriate for my response to that statement....

Well maybe: Image

tl;dr - I liked FF8.
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:35 pm

PuppetChaos wrote:(Squall) did crazy shit like jumping down ten stories (after getting tortured for hours, at that) just to hamstring a random soldier, taking on a powerful sorceress just by himself; leaping into space to save someone and then finding a spaceship and killing monsters that came straight out of Alien; and lastly: storming a guarded cryogenic facility that belongs to a nation technologically advanced enough to blow the shit out of the faction you belong to, just to get his girlfriend back.

Oh, and he became the Fearless Leader of an entire mercenary organization.

THIS

PuppetChaos wrote:Quistis: Do you know how to use your Gunblade, Squall?

Squall: No, I graduated from an elite mercenary academy, becoming the best of the best, surviving real battles with magical creatures and giant robots, without having the damnedest idea on how to use my weapon.

:lol:

PuppetChaos wrote:

The Draw/Junction system was awesome, I can spend 15 minutes just screwing around with the Junctions and enjoy it (I love character/stat tweaking, so FF8 was a wet dream for me), although I preferred refining items for spells.

I guarantee that if they had doubled the max number of magic you could stock in a single draw, the opinion of FF8's magic/junction system would improve dramatically. I really enjoyed it. I could stock and tweak excessively, and for those people that hate the tweaking, you can always just do auto config for defense/attack/magic.

PuppetChaos wrote:

There is no smiley appropriate for my response to that statement....

Well maybe: Image

NICE.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:40 pm

ZapalacX wrote:This thread is now about Final Fantasy VI.
:thumbsup: Best. RPG. Ever.

Well, it or Chrono Trigger.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:

Bitch, don't you know Parasite Eve 2 is the best RPG ever? That shit was the mad notes, son!

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:45 pm

I liked FF8, not as much as any other FF (which i haven't yet beaten any FF at 6 and under, hell I've yet to go through and play Chrono Trigger *dodges all manner of Objects, spells, and other projectiles thrown*)

The junction system at best was, a cool way to combine Magic and use it in another useful way then just beating an enemy with it's elemental weakness.

Myself, I am a big fan of 7's materia system, as NemZ said you could make your part have all the same abilities and such, but only if you grind for hours on end to level up all the materia you want copied(which is about as tedious as constantly drawing magic from enemies), which you only really need to do any of it if you're dead set on beating Ruby and Emerald WEAPON.

The story was... Okay I guess, but thinking about it more, the whole concept of Time Travel throws in a huge number of paradoxes. On the other hand I did like Ultimecia, though I thought it was a drag that we didn't get a good look at her at any point in the game until the very end, where as in any other FF you get to meet your main villain at several points though out your adventure.

Although anyway you slice it, both FF7 & 8 get a lot of slack for the whole emoX thing. as both of its protagonists start out as Loners who try to not give a damn about anyone but themselves
Last edited by Kaminoyouni on Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:47 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Eva Yojimbo wrote:

Bitch, don't you know Parasite Eve 2 is the best RPG ever? That shit was the mad notes, son!
PE2 = much under appreciated RPG indeed
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Final Fantasy X pwns all. At least story wise.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:56 pm

I haven't played enough of FF8 to know if it's better then 7 or whatever. I liked 7, have played the start of 8 as well as X and stuck somewhere in 9 last I tried playing. I think I played some of 6 too, but yeah, trying to have something of a life puts a damper in having time for gaming. -_-
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:00 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Bitch, don't you know Parasite Eve 2 is the best RPG ever?
I loved the first one; awesome story and atmosphere and a really cool weapon system (but picking up that junk to get the uber-guns was a bitch). Never got around to the 2nd for some reason.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:06 pm

xtr00kvltcorex wrote:Final Fantasy X pwns all. At least story wise.

No not really. Although the combat system was the most addicting I've seen in an FF game.

Kaminoyouni wrote:if you grind for hours on end to level up all the materia you want copied(which is about as tedious as constantly drawing magic from enemies)

QFT.

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Never got around to the 2nd for some reason.

It's a pretty big departure. Kind of at odds with itself. You have to like PE enough to want more, but not so much that a reinvention pisses you off.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”