Metroid series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:42 am

How the heck is that a bold statement? Zero Mission moves better and flows smoother than Super. You feel more in control. I didn't realize there was any controversy around it.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:51 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:How the heck is that a bold statement? Zero Mission moves better and flows smoother than Super. You feel more in control. I didn't realize there was any controversy around it.

Me neither. I suppose Super Metroid has fell into the unassailable Fortress of 90s Nostalgia along with Ocarina of Time and Doom. Yes, they're classics, and they're good games, but they have been surpassed in quality and they aren't perfect. Try telling fans that though.

*Rassafrassa bloody 90s kids mutter mutter...*

Also there's the fact that A: Zero Mission was made in the 2000s and according to Internet GroupThink, anything made after 1999 is shit and ruined their childhoods, and B: It's a remake, which are inherently evil.

For the record though, I love Zero Mission- and I say that as someone who hates the original Metroid for the NES. I haven't played enough of Super Metroid to compare the 2, but I remember finding Super Metroid a little awkward controls-wise. Also I remember getting stuck on the Chozo Statue mini-boss (although I really don't like Metroidvania bosses, I will admit). So I'm with you on that one, Monk.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:39 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:How the heck is that a bold statement?

I didn't notice much of a difference besides the ledge grab and the in-game navigator telling you where to go (the latter being a negative imho).

Mostly I was just hoping to prompt a rant out of you on the subject, because I want to read that rant. :lol:
Last edited by NemZ on Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:40 am

Happy Birthday Metroid!
You're 28 Today!

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:03 am

^And yet still no 25th anniversary event.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:30 am

Maybe the 30th will bring something?

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:57 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Me neither. I suppose Super Metroid has fell into the unassailable Fortress of 90s Nostalgia along with Ocarina of Time and Doom. Yes, they're classics, and they're good games, but they have been surpassed in quality and they aren't perfect. Try telling fans that though

The Ocarina of Time nostalgia is especially funny when you remember Majora's Mask being better in every way.

Still, though, when the hell is a new Metroid coming out?
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:16 am

Samus finally returns!.... kinda

Metroid x Monster Hunter

- Suicidahlia

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:15 pm

*gets excited*

*sees video*

What happened to her face?!
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:22 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:What happened to her face?!

Thank the low resolution 3DS for that

- Suicidahlia

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:32 pm

Low resolution has nothing to do with it. Samus looks better in Smash than she does there. Now obviously, Smash has the benefit of an arena rather than an open world, so there's more polys to spare on character models instead of the environment, but that version of Samus there doesn't even have the right eye color, and besides that the whole character of her face is just wrong. She looks like a Bosmer. And that's no insult to Bosmer, I think they're cute, but that's not Samus.

Now maybe it's not actually supposed to be Samus anyway, but a lookalike or just an equipment set or something. That would be a different story.
System Administrator

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Well the game isn't coming out until early next year so maybe she'll look better by then.

- Suicidahlia

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:06 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Low resolution has nothing to do with it. Samus looks better in Smash than she does there. Now obviously, Smash has the benefit of an arena rather than an open world, so there's more polys to spare on character models instead of the environment, but that version of Samus there doesn't even have the right eye color, and besides that the whole character of her face is just wrong. She looks like a Bosmer. And that's no insult to Bosmer, I think they're cute, but that's not Samus.

Now maybe it's not actually supposed to be Samus anyway, but a lookalike or just an equipment set or something. That would be a different story.

Could be the game's art style. For example, contrast MP3: Corruption Samus with MOM Samus. MOM Samus has a much rounder face, green eyes, etc. MP1 Samus also had a very different face and lighter hair than her other incarnations. Overall Samus's appearance varies slightly or drastically depending on the art/visual style of the game.

So the crossover probably gives Samus a different face because that's what the characters in Monster Hunter are going to look like; they probably couldn't be bothered to design an entirely different facial structure to fit her.

On my part, I'd probably just be glad to play as Samus and wield that giant arm-cannon.

And I'm nothing like you

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:06 am

Well, if there was ever a reason for me to get into Monster Hunter, it was this.

Now I just need a 3DS...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:27 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Samus finally returns!.... kinda

Metroid x Monster Hunter

.......and with this monster hunter 4 went from "must buy" to "COME THE HELL OUT NOW!"
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:26 am

Worthy of a bump?

Metroid Prime Trilogy Coming to Wii U as downloadable title.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/01/14/metroid-prime-trilogy-wii-games-will-downloadable-wii-u

- Suicidahlia

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:33 am

when i saw the trilogy in the direct i was like "holy shit maybe new metroid game?"
sadly no........
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:42 pm

At least now it'll be easier to get the Trilogy, which was awesome but was produced in limited quantities so it's very difficult to find it nowadays.

I'm also wondering if the possibility of the Trilogy getting Wii U controller support could contribute to another Prime-esque Metroid installment for the Wii U.

And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:53 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:At least now it'll be easier to get the Trilogy, which was awesome but was produced in limited quantities so it's very difficult to find it nowadays.

I'm also wondering if the possibility of the Trilogy getting Wii U controller support could contribute to another Prime-esque Metroid installment for the Wii U.

I have Trilogy but am still already planning to get this Wii U version that I just heard about, because (A) I always love an excuse to play an absolutely beloved game (series) again and it's been a long enough time now I think and (B) if it's coming out for a new system there's always that off chance it will get something new added, like frickin' dual analog control support holy shit how cool is that, or hell even just the ability to play it like the GameCube originals would be freakin' sweet (and I say that as someone who VASTLY preferred the Wii remote style of play and saw MPT as the go-to example of how to do Wii remote controls right), and maybe hopefully also support to play the game in higher resolutions because why not that's easy to do with 3D graphics.
System Administrator

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:00 am

Quick bump

Prime Trilogy is out today on Wii U in the Americas
Also this week only (Jan 29th - Feb 5th) it's on sale for $9.99

Don't forget that OG Metroid, Super & Fusion are all also on the U too

- Suicidahlia

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”