SEGA's pulling a Gainax

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

[Video Games] SEGA's pulling a Gainax

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:44 pm

Source: TSSZ News

The Blog Sega Doesn’t Want You to Read

Ryan Bloom, Editor | January 5, 2009

Detective work recovers candid tell-all blog of former Sega employee

Maybe you’ve heard of this story before, and maybe you haven’t: Back in 2006, an anonymous Blogger by the name of “jpeg” appeared, claiming to be somebody within the game industry. He made various posts about both his personal life and his job (like any normal Blogger), though never anything terribly specific. That all changed in early 2007, when he made a post about NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. He spoke on a great many things; he confided that he did not have much faith in the game, despite what he considered the best efforts of Sonic Team. He knew of the game’s troubled development, which he used as a segway to discuss the internal workings of Sega and how it related to Sonic Team, claiming that he knew Sonic Team, personally, “on a professional level”.

Given the deliberately anonymous nature of his blog, though, not many people knew whether to believe him.

A month after writing his post about NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, “jpeg” deleted all of his blog posts and bid farewell to his Blogspot users. Thankfully, however, the internet never forgets: after a little bit of figurative legwork from Green Hill Zone forums user FlashTHD, an archived version of the original blog post regarding Journey of Dreams has been recovered. By now, you are probably wondering why an unconfirmed blog post from an anonymous person on the vast expanse of the internet is so important. As it turns out, one possible reason all previous posts had been removed from the blog is because “jpeg” left a little hint at the end of the post about NiGHTS:

“Sonic Team are a relic from a past age who have overstayed their welcome. For the same marketing reasons that their name was initially kept (and has since backfired) they should be dissolved - it may already be too late for NiGHTS (and I really hope it isn’t and they manage to turn it around, which with Iizuka-san’s passion for the project is a possibility), but for the good of the company’s image; for the future of Sega’s other prestigious IPs and lastly for its iconic mascot it needs to be done… before they release another Sonic game with a transforming Evil ‘Night’ Sonic who looks like a werewolf and can stretch his arms out Dhalsim-style. It will happen, mark my words.“

Over a year before anybody had ever spoken the word “Werehog”, this blog user had tipped us off to the existence of Sonic Unleashed. Obviously, this most likely constituted an illegal breach of NDA, resulting in all posts on the blog being removed.

Today, his blogspot account is still active, containing only his “Goodbye” post. The sidebar of his blog now contains a typical “My opinions are my own and do not reflect upon my employer, and I will not discuss my job with you” disclaimer, but most importantly, reveals the blog owner’s true name: Ben Andac. Ben Andac, as it turns out, worked as a “Game Evaluator” and an “Admissions and Recruitment Executive” for both Sega Europe and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Ben’s job was most likely to evaluate the quality of products coming out of the publisher and potentially scout for new recruits to develop software. Ben now works for online gaming website Idle Thumbs, writing editorials and reviews. (TRISTAN EDIT: Since this story has been published, the Blogspot account linked above has been made completely inactive.)

By confirming Ben’s identity as an employee at Sega Europe, re-reading the March 2007 blog regarding the development of NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams shines a spotlight directly on a side of Sega rarely seen by the public. In particular, it reveals an internal strife between Sonic Team and Sega of Japan, highlighted by the fact that NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams was originally developed as an Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 title - going so far as to say he (Ben Andac) played an Xbox 360 build of NiGHTS at one point. Upon witnessing the overnight success of the Wii, Sega of Japan apparently forced Sonic Team to retool the game for Nintendo’s lower-spec platform, something its producer (Takashi Iizuka) was not happy about. Despite the shift in platform, the game’s fast-approaching release date and limited development budget remained firmly unchanged, giving Sonic Team roughly one year to rebuild NiGHTS exclusively for the Wii (when most games typically take two years or more to develop).

As it turned out, according to Mr. Andac, after Sega had restructured itself to re-integrate external development houses like Smilebit and AM2 back in to the main Sega offices, Sonic Team was kept external strictly as a sweatshop to milk the Sonic cashcow, assembly-line style. Sega of Japan had intended NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams as a brief rest from the never-ending onslaught of Sonic game after Sonic game. In Ben’s own words: “There’s no doubt that Sonic Team have lost their quality touch. They are worse than talentless: they are without passion. Bored, weary, closed-minded and out of touch with any sense of what makes games good anymore.” Quite simply put, after making so many of them, Sonic Team is tired of Sonic games - something Ben cites as a reason for Yuji Naka’s resignation in 2006.

In the end, what this blog really represents is that, even within their own ranks, members of Sega’s staff are unhappy with the direction Sonic Team as a development studio has headed. While it was easy to assume such, we now have confirmation of internal strife between Sonic Team and their parent subsidary, Sega of Japan. In relation, this goes a long way to explain the shortcomings of games produced by Sonic Team: They are forced to work on a franchise they no longer care about, and when they do get a chance to stretch their legs, it is under tight restrictions.

Stay tuned to TSSZ as we cover all aspects of Sonic the Hedgehog and his related franchises.

Well... that was kinda not surprising.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:04 pm

Huh. That game looked gay anyways. My favorite companies are Epic, Valve, Capcom (for the zombie games), Rockstar, and EA (for the Sims). As long as they still make quality games, I'm good.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:55 pm

Well, it sure explains a lot of things, I suppose.

Last Sonic game I played that I really liked was Adventure 2.... whilst I have played Heroes and Shadow I didn't really like them as much (though still to a point that I had some enjoyment, hell, I got all the emblems in Heroes, which can be and was a bitch).

I haven't played any of the newer ones after Shadow's solo game, nor the racing games (to me, R on the Saturn's the only one I found appealing), though I have heard many great things about Chronicles, the RPG made by Bioware (but hey, that's Bioware, who, yanno, made Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, not Sonic Team?)

I used to be a lot more active in the Sonic fandom an-- guh, I'll finish this post tomorrow.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

wander
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby wander » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:52 pm

that kind of sucks. the sega.com userbase seemed to be very positive about sonic unleashed as well.

i don't play many video games these days; i'm pretty much settled on atlus as my favorite developer these days.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:19 pm

is this news? sonic hasn't been good for years.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:47 am

slothen wrote:is this news? sonic hasn't been good for years.

I can't even remember last time sonic was good... it's been long, long time

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:57 am

SA2 was the last truly great sonic game, everything after that is pretty bad. But now it kinda makes sense why the games would be so bad lately. If you don't have a passion for something, especially something that is going to take at least a year or two to develop, its going to be very hard to do a good job on it.

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:49 am

:sonic_idle:
As I was about to say before the staff told everyone to leave the computers so they could shut down for the day...

I used to be a lot more active in the Sonic fandom an--

--d eventually, all the naysaying and complaining in it irritated me, I was getting tired of a bunch of whiny-ass loser children complaining about something going into a shithole that I didn't think it was going to at the time, so I began to isolate myself from it, while a certain other fandom ate me alive like a pro cumslut.

I still occasionally participate in it by making fanstuff (like a certain crossover), and reliving the glory days through memories and playing my favorites, but it's a far cry from how much I used to do (despite not being actually popular in the circuit).

I suppose I still have a small amount of blind faith in the blue blur, however. I try not to make a big deal out of such things anymore, but sometimes I can't help myself. :pwnd:

Anyway, that's enough of my faggotry, not like most give a damn about my opinions anyway, lol.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:29 pm

This would probably be a good time to reminisce on discontinued Sonic Megamix. Ahh, Megamix.

I still remember when a leaked beta was released in the IRC, and Tweaker started freaking out. I called it ver. 3.0hfuck. Then I was kicked from the channel with everyone else.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:09 pm

slothen wrote:sonic hasn't been good for years.

Yes.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:43 pm

The milk the poor guy for all his worth with all these gimmicks they are doing and it just doesn't work. Sonic is not meant to be bound by anything, he is meant to run wild at insane speeds and be free but it just feels that with all these new characters and gimmicks, it is just not happening.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:58 am

IrkenEvangelion wrote:Huh. That game looked gay anyways. My favorite companies are Epic, Valve, Capcom (for the zombie games), Rockstar, and EA (for the Sims). As long as they still make quality games, I'm good.

Myself, I liked Sonic, though after 3 and Knuckles, it became gay. And Capcom is one of my favorites too (for the two-dimensional animated ass-kicking).
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Chowwow
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Chowwow » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:53 am

My God, this is unsettling. I knew times were tough for Sonic Team (and perhaps Sega in general), but I never would have thought Sega of Japan could do this to one of their teams.

This doesn't bode well with me; I've been a huge Sega fan since the Saturn days and I particularly enjoyed the two Sonic Adventure games for the Dreamcast back in the day. This blog is haunting not only for its foresight into the latest Sonic development, but for what could happen in the future for the entire company. Yesh, looking at the state of Sega is like looking at the state of the US economy right now.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:07 am

Chowwow wrote:Yesh, looking at the state of Sega is like looking at the state of the US economy right now.

lolwut.

Also, the last sonic game to get good reviews was made by bioware.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:21 am

And before that, it was Nintendo with Brawl.

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:03 pm

I have to be the guy who says this, because anytime Sonic is brought up lately, someone has to say:

"His portable games are still really good."

Hey, at least when I say it I mean it.

But that is kinda the problem - Sonic is traditionally a home console type of character whose games appeared on home consoles. While Sonic Adventure and SA2 were pretty ok, I yearn for the glory days of Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles. I used to play those two every day, I kid you not.

I hope Sonic finally, miraculously, recovers from Sega's obscene mishandling of him in the gaming market lately.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

Deathmask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Deathmask » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:16 pm

Truth be told the only Sonic games I liked were Adventure 1 and 2.

They were fucking awesome though.
<X> i dropped my book for this conversation
<ZapalacX> i dropped my pants for this conversation
<Anti> I wasn't serious.
<ZapalacX> i was
<ZapalacX> i'm not even joking
<ZapalacX> look at my face
<ZapalacX> :|

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:51 pm

Yeah, fellow evageeks user Hellfire is a big SA fan. He's one of those guys who loves the character, so he got into the comics and stuff. But he's not all that skilled with side-scrollers so he really liked the Sonic Adventure games since they weren't side-scrollers.

Me, I loved the Sonic side scrollers. In fact we were having a discussion the other night about how the Sonic Team needs to be disbanded because they've put out a ton of crap over the last several installments to the series. A new Sonic Team should be re-formed with people who actually want to make an awesome Sonic game.
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:35 pm

I'm just still in shock that there were ever people who though sonic was good. All the way back to the genesis days I haven't seen much fun in a game designed to move faster than the controls will allow you to respond.

I'll stick with megaman and castlevania for my 2d platforming needs, thanks.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:02 pm

Well, I thought it wa good but kind of agree with Annihilationscape, something needs to be about the current sonic Team. Sonic needs to be Sonic-y again but if Sonic Team won't clean up their act, I am afraid that they many of their fans and later on, money from the people who buy their games. Their use to be a time where I couldn't wait for another Sonic game but nowadays I find myself being slighty disgusted at the Sonic series had evolved from a exceptionally platformer that allows to go at high speed while having great control over the character to this...well, I will try come with something witty later but I wish that Naka was there to make Sonic games again.

Perhaps it is time for Sonic to say 'Kudos' to everyone and just disappear but as long as it makes money for Sega, it may not happen anytime soon nor do I want it to happen.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”