Metal Gear Solid

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:10 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:

SPOILER: Show
Venom: "What in..."
Miller: "This is what I've been trying to tell you about, Boss. He does this whenever you're gone for longer than expected. He's got over a half gallon of whiskey in him right now."
Ocelot: "Mrrrowwww~!"
Miller: "Boss, this kind of behavior is unacceptable for a Diamond Dogs officer. We need to punish him, preferrably something harsh. I like harsh."
Venom: "Wait..."
Ocelot: "Who wants to pet this kitteeeeh!?"
Venom: "Quiet, what's your opinion?"
Quiet: "..."
Venom: "Great idea, I knew I could count on you." *Walks toward Ocelot's puddle.*
Miller: "Wha- Quiet outranks me now!?"
Venom: *Begins playing in the puddle like Ocelot* "Yeah, snap a salute when she walks past you."
*Quiet and DD also get in the puddle, followed by about 15 Diamond Dogs soldiers*
Miller: "Really, so it's just me, huh!?"
Skullface: *Parachutes onto the platform* "Big Boss, I've come to settle this once and for-" *Notices everyone playing in the rain, and begins stripping down to a pair of swim trunks* "Such a lust for raindrops... WOOOOOOOOOOO!" *Dives in*
[Redacted]

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:02 pm

I'm disappointed MGSV didn't inherit MGS2's "model swaps as an unlockable bonus" thing.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:49 pm

MGS5 is getting costume DLC! Tuxedo and MGS3 sneaking suit confirmed as well as Eva's outfit and The Boss' white sneaking suit.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5-adding-human-and-horse-costume-/1100-6430691/?ftag=YHRe6a6b70

Oh man I am so glad they're actually going to support this game with new content post-launch.
[Redacted]

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:58 pm

The fact that the tux is DLC is disgusting.
Thanks konami.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:10 pm

I thought that DLC stuff was weeks old news by now? Huh.

There's been lots of hilarious model swapping on Youtube the past month, but this is probably this best one so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ1d2PQ2f1s

Just plain fun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1TlnH42_TU

An excellent read/discussion on MGSV's ending, link in spoiler tags:
[url]http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-8968/the-ultimate-ending-discussion-spoilers-1781915/[/url]

Having a night to think about MGS overall, I wonder if, say,
Probably my new internal head canon  SPOILER: Show
an in-universe explanation for the MGS video games could be Otacon wanting to tell the true story about Snake and Big Boss, no embellishments about their legends (which, of course, happens throughout the series itself). I mean, probably not, but it's a nice, dorky, way for Otacon to pass on his buddy's story. ;)

I think the MGS4 line that hit me with the most feels in relation to MGSV is Sunny's "We don't speak the same language, but we're having fun!" But Here's to You in 4 and MGSV GZ is a very close second.

Speaking of, in MGS4 when Snake first visits Naomi's office, there's a cut scene of 2 blank "In Progress" games below 4. MGS Peace Walker and MGSV? Fiddles, played, etc. :lol:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:02 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Speaking of, in MGS4 when Snake first visits Naomi's office, there's a cut scene of 2 blank "In Progress" games below 4. MGS Peace Walker and MGSV? Fiddles, played, etc. :lol:

Probably Peace Walker and the cancelled Rising game. Around the time they were in development, Kojima said that instead of new numbered titles, he planned to split the series and continue Big Boss and Raiden's stories. He said, paraphrased, "Peace Walker and Rising are both Metal Gear Solid 5, and Peace Walker is the 5 inside of me."
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:38 pm

That Giantbomb article/post was beautiful and it, combined with extensive research and discussion afterwards, have put all the ducks in a row for me. :bow: I am left with very very few questions anymore about the series as a whole.

MGSV major ending  SPOILER: Show

So here's the story, as best I understand it:

MGSV is not the story of the fall of Big Boss. Instead, it is the story of how Big Boss's legend as a hero was built (or at least grew, given that the building started as far back as Peace Walker) while the real Jack was off building the real Outer Heaven off-screen. Which incidentally means it was falsely advertised from the start. :lol:

In Metal Gear 2, (the real) Big Boss explains to Solid Snake that the man he killed at Outer Heaven was a body double. I went into MGSV not knowing this or having forgotten it, but now I understand that the twist ending fills a hole in the series chronology, not that it exactly needed filling. I mean it's not like we needed to know who the body double was or how he was established, but it's still nice to realize that this body double business had a place to fit into the larger story.

In that same game (MG2), Kaz calls Big Boss a monster. In V, after learning that the Boss he'd been serving all this time was a "phantom", he promises that he will make Boss's phantom and son stronger -- that he will side with them against the original. So, Big Boss's fall into true villainy probably does actually happen (unless that is also misinformation that even Kaz came to believe), just off-screen.

Perhaps while Venom was building Big Boss's legend as a hero, Jack was off using Venom's former identity to build the legend of a villain, and then prior or during the events of MG1 the two switch identities again (as posited in that Giantbomb thing) so that the phantom is the one killed by Solid Snake at Outer Heaven.

One of the few questions remaining is how complicit Venom was to Big Boss's ultimate plan. It all comes down to, were they still on the same side by the time Venom died at Snake's hands?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:43 pm

It's a good article, but the first time I read it there were some inaccuracies. Maybe they've been fixed since then.

The whole thing with Big Boss' fall is that it happened in Peace Walker.
His great failing is that he misinterprets The Boss' will, as does Zero. BB believes that the way to unify the world is to make an army that answers to no government while Zero believes it's to control the world from behind the scenes. The point is that no one is truly evil in the series (other than the usual suspects like Liquid, Volgin, Skull Face, etc.) but just carrying out their own wills and interpretations. The problem is that their views are misinterpreted and spin out of control as time goes on.

We already knew how the "fall of Big Boss" happened from MGS4 anyway. Also, Kojima loves to lie and mislead in his trailers and he's been doing it since MGS2.

EDIT: and upon looking back on it, it seems the post on GB has been revised a bit and mentions what I did up there. Never mind, lol.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:50 pm

While strolling around my command platform I noticed I picked up a guy somewhere named Dire Slug.

You know what a Dire Slug is, right? :wink:
[Redacted]

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:10 am

PEACE SHITPOST  SPOILER: Show
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:37 am

ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:31 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I thought that DLC stuff was weeks old news by now?

Yeah, I've heard it before.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:43 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:BOSS, GET DOWN!

Why is this so perfect? :hitthetable:

So, the biggest error of Peace Walker is not including Ocelot. I mean, can you imagine how his Side Op Date wouldv'e gone? "Meow, meow meow?" "Meerw!" :lol: (Complete with Miller's angry/jealous sobs in the background...)

But seriously, Peace Walker is pretty much BB's "heel turn", so it surprises me too that people expected something more in Phantom Pain. Like Zap wrote, most of the characters are shades of gray then outright villains or heroes (with the exception of some asshole characters, urgh).

Related, it's still a bit weird in Phantom Pain to see Ocelot so chilled out in comparison to Miller's RAEG-mode, but it's a good balance between them and fits pretty well when you look at MGS 1, 2, 4, etc. Big Boss really is the glue that holds Mother Base together...

Edit: This is a pretty good story that makes me wish
Major  SPOILER: Show
EVA was in Phantom Pain...It would have been pretty interesting to see how she'd react towards the Medic vs Ocelot's and Miller's reactions: http://archiveofourown.org/works/4906354

Semi-related: Jack/Big Boss in Silent Hill: http://archiveofourown.org/works/4806125/chapters/11001788 I wonder if PT-Ghost will show up? :cringe:

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:18 pm

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:39 pm

/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:40 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Probably Peace Walker and the cancelled Rising game. Around the time they were in development, Kojima said that instead of new numbered titles, he planned to split the series and continue Big Boss and Raiden's stories. He said, paraphrased, "Peace Walker and Rising are both Metal Gear Solid 5, and Peace Walker is the 5 inside of me."

Partly true. When Kojima started working on Peace Walker the full title was Metal Gear Solid 5 Peace Walker and he wanted to keep it that way. It was Konami who didn't want the next numbered game on a portable and this is why they removed the 5. Even the teaser site for Peace Walker had a 5 number (or an S letter, but it was probably a 5). One of the early logos for the game.

There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:33 pm

Kojima stated he wanted Peace Walker to be MGS5, but didn't want a main MGS numbered story to be on a portable system only. The "In Progress" was in reference to MGS Peace Walker and MG Rising though Kojima didn't fully work on Rising of course (Just Kojima Productions supervising the overall plot and Raiden's character design).

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:48 pm

Came back after a week of not playing to do some side ops I've yet to do.

FOB got hit twice, both times my troops defended successfully. :smokin:

The only times any A.I defense has even been successful for me. Still kinda irritated about being able to be attacked while offline, but it seems my A.I troops are decently equipped and skilled now to deal with some people.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:20 am

MGO's out today as well as a day 30 patch: http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/tpp/en/news/day30.php5

Grade 7 weapons and single player FOB missions is pretty cool, the rest is micro-transaction BS.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:39 am

"Your FOBs are always at risk of coming under attack. Now, you can rest easy with FOB insurance (paid service)."

:mayano:

I didn't have to read that far to know where it was headed -- the title "FOB insurance" said it all. And it doesn't even cover everything!

On the bright side, they're adding FOB missions that bear no risk of reprisal, so that at least gives me some incentive to try it out. I previously saw no reason whatsoever to bother with FOB stuff.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”