Metal Gear Solid

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:37 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:it'll take us 6 years to finish the damn game. :lol:

You mean to watch the cutscenes, right?
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:51 pm

^I really want to finish the game, but I can't stand the long movie cutscenes (I know I can skip them, but the story is important to me) not to mention that I suck at stealth gameplay.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:33 pm

Kojima stated that the long cutscenes thing is largely outdated now so he's obviously kept that in mind whilst making TPP. Also, considering how large the game is going to be, and if people play slowly, developing Mother Base and completing side ops, the story sequences are going to be stretched out in a good way.

Seeing as GTAV took me two to three months to complete the main story, this game is going to take me forever.

-o-;
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:41 pm

I not only never minded the "long cutscenes", I didn't even think they were noteworthy as such until I noticed a theme of people complaining about them. :lol: Even as recently as MGS4, I saw them only as a bonus, free movies to go with my gameplay and something to nicely break up the action, develop the story, and build up my hype. But part of this is a long lifetime of seeing cutscenes as a reward for making progress, as well as being raised on the likes of the Final Fantasies and Xenosaga.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:46 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:You mean to watch the cutscenes, right?

Actually they said there's going to be almost no cut scenes, and Big Boss will be a mostly silent protagonist.
[Redacted]

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:38 pm

"You're entering a world of Phantom Pain"  SPOILER: Show
Warren Peace, #643919

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:07 pm

John Goodman as Snake looks suprisingly awesome.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:37 pm

Reviews are in, if you're into that sort of thing.

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/metal-gear-solid-v-phantom-pain-reviews-rounded-up

So far it's god-tier. Nobody has rated it less than 9/10. Polygon says Kojima's name is featured dozens of times throughout the game as well.
[Redacted]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:49 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:So far it's god-tier. Nobody has rated it less than 9/10.

:guitarpunk:

Polygon says Kojima's name is featured dozens of times throughout the game as well.

Bwa? Did something change or were the rumors in error?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:29 pm

Did people seriously believe that Kojima's name was going to be cut from the game? I thought that was just a meme.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:47 pm

FOB microtransaction details:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5s-online-pvp-mode-locked-behind-/1100-6429981/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

Update:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/heres-how-payments-in-metal-gear-solid-5s-online-p/1100-6429981/

At least they're not mandatory like I initially thought.
Last edited by IronEvangelion on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[Redacted]

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:23 am

^Konami's business model really seems to be 'let's dig a big hole and see if we can keep going until we hit magma and burn to death' these days. [The above post said something different when this post was made; see ZapX's quotation of the original below. - Monk]
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:36 am

I am so freakin' excited for this game that it's hard for me to even try to preoccupy myself with other things. I just want to lay on my bed and stare at the ceiling until 1 September. I've got a small pile of comics and Silent Hill to try to finish before then but I can't stop thinking about TPP. Also, I'm going to see if I can get next Friday off work so I can get a long weekend in with the game (something my partner actually endorses, knowing how keen I am).
Warren Peace, #643919

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:44 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Well I was in a great mood until I saw this:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5s-online-pvp-mode-locked-behind-/1100-6429981/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

Konami are you fucking kidding me? Not only do we have to pay for PS Plus, now we also have to pay mandatory microtransactions in order to play FOB!? :facepalm:

Nope. This was clarified earlier. All that is is the typical "pay for a head start" thing every game has these days. You can play it legit for free, the transactions are just for buying your level ups.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:23 pm

^ Cool! That makes me very happy.
[Redacted]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:28 pm

Better edit your initial post with the update so innocent eyes don't stumble upon it and come away with the wrong idea because they didn't read further. :D
System Administrator

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:09 pm

^ Good idea. Aaaand it's done.

Here's a new playthrough video of the first chapter of TPP if anyone's interested:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/watch-metal-gear-solid-5-the-phantom-pain-episode-/1100-6430010/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage
[Redacted]

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:54 pm

Final launch trailer for TPP, edited by the man himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alxN1i1GagM
Warren Peace, #643919

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:15 pm

Very awesome!

I'm starting to get a bit concerned about my copy. I've got the PS4 CE on order but even today with launch a week out there's nothing about anything being shipped and funds have yet to be deducted from my account yet.

So I guess its very possible that I won't be getting it on launch day. Which blows. I know with FF14's recent expansion it shipped ~week before and arrived the afternoon of launch day, but funds were taken two weeks before shipment.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:02 pm

You should be alright, but maybe email your retailer and see what the deal is just in case. I was concerned about my copy too (althrough I'm only getting the regular Day One edition), as I've recently had issues with mail arriving at my work address. But after talking to EB Games customer service over the phone and recalling that I've had a previous order arrive here all well and good (my copy of Ground Zeroes - the postman even makes you sign for it upon delivery), it put my mind at ease.

Also, seeing as the PS3 version of the game requires an 11GB+ install on the console, and the fact that I have the 12GB Super Slim, I upgraded the internal HDD to 500GB. I've been meaning to do it for ages, but leave it to Metal Gear to get my arse into gear.

:lol:

So much better. Now I can have all my games on there at once without having to uninstall crap every time I want to put anything new on.
Warren Peace, #643919

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”