Metal Gear Solid

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:26 pm

BattleMonkey wrote:It's expected also that they will announce new Metal Gear for PSP at the Sony conference later at E3, which most likely be Metal Gears Solid Portable Ops 2.

NooooOOOoooooooo! They'd better not bring back those awful cut scenes. I can't ogle Big Boss when he looks like a jumbled mass of black lines. And I still can't forgive Portable Ops for not rewarding me with a passionate boot-knocking scene after going through all the hassle to get EVA into my party.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:22 pm

It's been confirmed that Metal Gear Solid: "raiden" will also be on the PC yay!

As for portable ops artwork, have to disagree, Ashley Wood is an amazing artist. I did not care for his overly done art in the Metal Gear Solid IDW comic series, but they toned it down greatly for Portable Ops, was the highlight for me, and was pretty close comparison to the original Shinkawa works while still being actually coherent.

As for Kojima moving on.... it's known that hes working on a non metal gear related project and it sounds like rumor is that hes now involved with the new Castlevania: http://kotaku.com/5274898/kojima-taking-on-castlevania-with-lords-of-shadow

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:02 pm

MGS: Raiden? Where'd you hear that?

Because that's not what I heard.

Oh ho, 360...what franchises are left for the ps3?

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:28 pm

Notice the quotes?

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:47 pm

So now that it's "Lightning Bolt Action," what sort of experience do you believe we'll get from the game?

Seeing as the series is rooted in stealth gameplay, I'm sure there will at least be traces of it throughout Rising, but will it focus mainly on being a super badass ninja who can take out a small army?

I am glad to see the series coming to the 360, but this seems like it could be a complete departure from the previous games...then again, didn't Kojima say he wanted to do something new?

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:52 pm

Hence the Kojima team listing that they are working on Castlevania now too....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:07 pm

BattleMonkey wrote:As for portable ops artwork, have to disagree, Ashley Wood is an amazing artist.

Yeah, I noticed that lots of reviewers for Portable Ops gave the artwork thumbs up. I took the strong positive feedback into account when I viewed the cut scenes, but I was still unable to appreciate them at all. There just isn't anything about Wood's style that I find immediately appealing (though there are "incoherent sketchy mess" artists out there I do appreciate).

I wonder why they're using the title "Rising" (moar liek "RAI-sing", olololol). If Jacky-boy is all ninja, odds are -- to say the very, very obvious -- we're dealing with MGS2/4 interim. I hope we get to see when Raiden is tortured into a disembodied CNS. That would be awesome.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:28 pm

Thanks for listening.
sony lost the rights to 2 franchises

Metal Gear was never a Sony franchise since it was on other systems before. People forget that MGS2 was on the Xbox also. Anyways, Metal Gear Solid: Raiden looks great and I hope the gameplay as him is just like you when play as Grayfox in Integral. It looks Raiden is shown to be in the cyborg-ninja state he was in prior to the ending of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots.

This news makes me want to finish MGS4 now and replay the other three games again.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:39 pm

I'm gonna merge this with the MGS thread.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:34 am

Kotaku seems to have an "unofficial confirmation" that MGS Rising is coming to PS3, Xbox 360, and PC, as well as confirming a new Portable Ops for PSP.

[url]http://kotaku.com/5274844/metal-gear-solid-rising-destined-for-xbox-360-ps3-pc[/url]

I'm definitely intrigued as to what Rising will be. Ninja-Raiden definitely showed the potential in MGS4 to be a good action game hero, but I imagine the feel of the game will be markedly different from MGS4-- maybe even to the point where it resembles Devil May Cry more than a stealth game. Knowing Kojima, it should be a lot fun. And I've definitely been waiting for MGSPO2 for a loooong time. :thumbsup:

The rumors of Kojima producing a Castlevania game is definitely worthy of excitement as well. Aside from portables, the series has been in a lull ever since Symphony of the Night, so I can't think of a better guy to revive it than Kojima.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:37 am

Who cares if it on the Xbox360 or not? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it since it will be the same game. It nice to see that PC gamers can play the series again after six or seven years when MGS2 cameout. I hope that Kojima producing a Castlevania is ture since the series went down hill since it the 3D games cameout on the PS2.

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:48 am

Guyver Spawn wrote:Who cares if it on the Xbox360 or not?

I do, I own a 360. I also do not own a ps3, nor would I buy one.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:16 am

I'm glad to hear it's gonna be on PC, I will skip it on either console then for possibility of running the game at the highest possible framerate I can muster. Hopefully it's not delayed PC release like so many titles end up being.

Game seems very far off with no actual screens or footage and simply saying it's in development. Konami's press info doesn't list it along with it's 2010 games either so I don't think we will see Rising till 2011.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:27 am

This thread is about MGS, not which console/platform you like better.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:34 am

Portable Ops 2 looks great and it too bad that I sold my PSP (Maybe I will rebuy one), and I really love the first one since it was much better then the awful Ac!d games.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:21 pm

The Acid games were fantastic, I know they weren't traditional MGS games, which bothered some, but it was something fun and unique. It was Metal Gear tactics :P

If the name of the PSP title is any indication so far though, it would seem that it's not going to be a portable ops 2, but a new Metal Gear title completely possibly....

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:03 pm

i just got MSG2 Sustance and MGS3 Subsistence this past week. :yippee:
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:15 pm

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker announced for PSP, it apparently deals with the formation of Outer Heaven and it seems we will see multiple clones of Snake apparently.... hmmm. It doesn't sound like its like Portable Ops, and is going to be a traditional MGS.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:43 pm

So we get to see the war between Zero (patriots) and Big Boss (Outer Heaven) 1st hand after all ^_^ .

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:40 pm

GamePro wrote:Another day, another Metal Gear as E3 is shaping up to become Hideo Kojima's playground. Yesterday, Kojima surprised the gaming community by announcing a new game, Metal Gear Solid: Rising, for the Xbox 360. That game ended speculation as to the curious Raiden teaser image, as it was revealed that Raiden will be the protagonist of Rising.

Today, Kojima officially announced, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker for the PSP. The game is set to take place ten years after Metal Gear Solid 3, chronicling the rise of Outer Heaven in the 1970's, ending speculation on whether or not that Big Boss teaser image was indeed of him. Well, looks like it is him, only, there is about four different versions of him on screen at the same time, garnering the reaction: Whhhaaaaaatttttt??????

Kojima made it clear that he was deeply involved in the creative process of the game, writing and producing it, and having the team from MG4 working on Peace Walker ensuring that the game is not a spin-off or side story, but true Metal Gear Solid canon. From the trailer released, it looks like the gameplay will take a more traditional sneaking approach as opposed to the heavy gunplay found in Guns of the Patriots.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker is due out in 2010 for the PSP.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”