Do they still make games for PCs?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Do they still make games for PCs?

Postby cyharding » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:21 pm

That's the question. I'm asking because I'm checking some things out, and I want to know if that's still the case.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:25 pm

...are you trolling?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:31 pm

Fortunately no. All I hear about about are the big systems nowadays and I don't hear anything about PCs. I wasn't sure if they make them anymore.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:30 pm

Yeah, PC is becoming a more popular platform than console, along with mobile.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:45 pm

Pretty much every game that isn't a single console exclusive is also on pc, and due to the prevalence of modding they're often much better that way.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:13 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:All I hear about about are the big systems nowadays and I don't hear anything about PCs. I wasn't sure if they make them anymore.

Try googling "Steam". You will be amazed.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

Postby unz » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:53 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Yeah, PC is becoming a more popular platform than console, along with mobile.

Some even ignore consoles for pc and mobile (devine lu linvega comes to mind but there's more), while kickstarted/crowd funded videogames generally give priority to pc.
EU seems to be the most supporting place for indie devs too.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Re: Do they still make games for PCs?

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:10 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:That's the question. I'm asking because I'm checking some things out, and I want to know if that's still the case.

Yes. Makes me wonder how long until you realized that there are now games for the PC just as there are games for consoles, only that they're now very sophisticated yet the quality of content varies.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:19 am

When I saw the topic title I was like, are you shitting me? I have surely regaled the forum many a time by now with how I've become a nigh-exclusive PC gamer over time now that the market has gotten its act together. You name a big-name console game, it's probably on PC and better on it. PC has never, ever been as strong as it is right now, to my memory at least.

Backwards compatibility? Consoles don't even do that anymore, but I could play Deus Ex (original store-bought copy, not even a GOG release) right now if I wanted, some 15 years since its release.

Free online multiplayer? It's on PC.

Gamepads? PCs do that now too. They didn't used to (at least, not well), but now they do, and I can hook up any controller that I can figure out how to make talk to my PC. I can even hook up different controllers at the same time -- my friend and I play Resident Evil 6 with a PS3 controller in his hands and a PS4 controller in mine, with our buttons mapped to our preferences (I use L2/R2 for aim/fire, he uses L1/R1) and the in-game button icons set (via modding) to PS3 for his benefit.

My recent outings of Fallout 4, MGSV, Witcher 3? That was all on PC, and all with a gamepad in my hands and a TV (that I use as my monitor) before me.

The only downsides to PC gaming that remain are the ones more or less inherent to such an open platform -- such as the occasional compatibility issues that arise from a machine with variable hardware. And I say this as a guy who just the other day won the 2015 CSC-461 Optimized C++ Pot Noodle: Hardware differences matter. Some configurations might support certain special operations (like SIMD) that others won't and if you don't code for it the same game that works fine on one machine might run horribly or not at all on other machines (which, incidentally, is how a lot of my classmates wound up losing to me -- I stuck to the techniques the professor told us were going to work on the target machine). With a console, you are essentially guaranteed a certain fidelity of experience because of the predetermined hardware -- though I hear even that has eroded now that console games can be patched, leading to the saying "Release is the new beta". (Just ask IronEvangelion about that 17-gigabyte patch for The Witcher 3.)

I actually deal with these (hardware/software issues on PC, I mean) quite a bit. Just ask my friend the few times we've sat down to play RE6 only for it to take us some 15 minutes to get started because I had to fix something that went wrong. So I don't begrudge anyone who opts to avoid the situation entirely by sticking with more controlled hardware and software.

But that gap of how much of a special skillset you need to be a well-running PC gamer is shrinking all the time. Steam does so much for you that you used to have to manage yourself, like installations and updating, which I think is a huge part of what tipped that balance for me and turned me into such a complete PC gamer. It provides many of the same benefits consoles once did, and it's got competition keeping it on its toes, in the form of the alternative platform GOG (formerly Good Old Games, now an orphan initialism) which formerly traded Steam's ease-of-use for extra freedom but has been catching up to Steam in the ease-of-use department with their new (and totally optional) client GOG Galaxy.

IMO consoles are on notice -- especially this generation, which for me in particular has been the least compelling of any console generation.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:59 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Yes. Makes me wonder how long until you realized that there are now games for the PC just as there are games for consoles, only that they're now very sophisticated yet the quality of content varies.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:When I saw the topic title I was like, are you shitting me? I have surely regaled the forum many a time by now with how I've become a nigh-exclusive PC gamer over time now that the market has gotten its act together

Here's the thing: with the exception of creating this thread, I never go into this subforum. I have little to no experience with gaming in general. I remember one time back when I was working at a Target many years ago. A guy was buying a game and he asked me during checkout if I had played that game yet. I replied that I don't play video games at all and he looked at me like I had admitted to him that I brutally killed a person. Am I that out of the mainstream?

I wonder if I made a mistake in creating this thread.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

Postby unz » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:51 pm

You have so much to play. Buying a ps4 wouldn't be out of the question if you are new to everything but I never owned one. Feel free to ask me whenever in need for recommendations.

There's at least a dozen of actually good sites but Killscreen and RockPaperShotgun are my picks, I still read Cara Ellison's blog and Tim Stone's pieces when they pop up.
Otherwise my sources of indies are the beautiful and welcoming Indiegaf threads.

http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1135109

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:55 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Am I that out of the mainstream?

Yes. Gaming has become a bigger industry than movies.

But being informed isn't a bad thing, so the thread served a purpose. It is a certainty that whatever sort of device you're using to view the forum will have tons of games available if you look for them. I don't care if you somehow have a browser running on two soup cans and a microwave, if nothing else you can certainly check out web-based game sites like Kongregate.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

Postby unz » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:44 pm

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17891/Free-games-you-like/

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:33 pm

If you're going to get into gaming, this is worth keeping in mind.

SPOILER: Show
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:26 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I wonder if I made a mistake in creating this thread.

Nope, you're just starting to discover something new.

Had a 2600 when I was a kid, but never grew up with NES/Famicom (very expensive at the time), but fell in love with the PS1 while in college, and built a PC four years ago.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

Postby unz » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:03 pm

In case this becomes a recommendation/wip games thread I'll just leave a link for the next year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnajEYPEKIQ

Also Transistor is a good pick for the steam sales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni02F7l4lAg

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:59 pm

Thank you all for all of the information that you have given me. I feel I should explain my situation a little better.

Last week Friday, I found out I'm going to get a bonus from my job this month. I don't know the exact amount, but I believe that it will be bigger than my weekly paycheck, if only a little more so. This would allow me to buy some things a lot sooner than I thought I would. As I was thinking about what I would get, my attention turned to videogames as an option as I've been always a little curious about them, but I have so little experience with them, I don't know where to start. I took a cursory look at both the XBox One and the PS4, and I concluded that even with the Christmas sales and that they often come with a complementary game, it could take up a large percentage of my bonus, and there some other things I know I want to use some of the money for. I realized then that I did get a new laptop back in September. I think the specs might work (1 Tb hard drive, an Intel core i7 processor & an Intel(R) HD Grpahics 5500 video card), so I thought it would be an option, but I wasn't sure what games were still made for PCs. As I stated, all you hear about is XBox One and PS4. The only games I know is for PC are translations of VNs. The only one I would seriously be interested in is Steins Gate as I'm a big fan of the anime. With that exception though, I'm not interested in something along the lines of Let's Masterbate Together Big Brother or similar shit like that. But I don't know what other genres are available (and according to my research, genre is based more on style of gameplay than the game's content). That's the story. In the meantime, and I have done some more research and I believe that I may found a potential game that I'm interested in, but more research needs to be done. Part of the problem is that a lot of this information goes on the assumption that the reader has played games since elementary or middle school, and thus will know some things. To these people, someone like me doesn't exist. I'll continue on anyway.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

Postby unz » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:32 am

Quick post because I've stuff to do, might elaborate or not:
-you need a better pc, a custom one, buy it only from online shops (not real life ones) depending where you live and you can find tons of sites helping you with that. Go to any popular tech forum and have users coming up with a build for you after you tell them a budget (500 euros/dollar is enough for a low end build), ask for a good online shop assembling your thing.
-genres do not exist, they are shortcomings from the press to describe games without exposing anything about design (it got much better in 20+ years).
-best Japanese things I have in mind right now are minimalistic stuff. There's a lot of popular shit to list everyone knows about (zelda/marios/bayo/shmups/ vns/mgs/dark souls/ valkyrie chronicles/ persona 4 etcetcetc) but Shadow of the colossus is amazing and you can only emulate it.
Ryme might be an option but that's console stuff, the closest thing pc gets to a sotc game is Vane.

http://www.friendandfoegames.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXe5t7iIzoQ

Have to admit I'm not big in VNs and can't remember which one I played, they all had crappy writing to begin with
Last edited by unz on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:48 am

Cyharding's notebook is perfectly fine for a ton of games. Maybe not the newest stuff with the graphics settings cranked, no, but for most purposes it will work well enough. He might want a better graphics card eventually (geforce 8k or so), but an i7 will get the job done for a while to come.

Genres absolutely do exist. What the hell are you taking about, unz?

unz
Israfel
Israfel

Postby unz » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:46 am

No, he needs a custom thing to be fine with upgrades for years. If it was a ps4 he'd have no need to buy anything soon (again buying one now isn't out of the question since he's new to everything).
No genres are just easy terms for reviewers in gaming. Games do not belong to one thing and tend to include more evolving designs at once to the point "action" includes 4+ "subgenres" and it comes down to whatever set of rules people make up.
For example this guy doesn't know what to do about it.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/08 ... ion-games/
Genres don't really mean anything to devs as much as to the press, I don't know if and how many times you' ll find genre terminology in devs' official main sites to describe products. Didn't find rpg in the fallout4 main site at least but whatever. Hell nobody can come down to roleplay definitions and most recent military fps games are great examples of roleplay more than shooting too.
Last edited by unz on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”