Recommended games for the WiiU?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Recommended games for the WiiU?

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Wed May 20, 2015 8:56 pm

I bought my WiiU back in February and only really played Smash Bros. and art academy. Any suggestions on what I should get next? I'm really open for anything that isn't Splatoon. I haven't even played Splatoon and I'm already tired of it.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed May 20, 2015 8:57 pm

Splatoon.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Wed May 20, 2015 9:06 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Splatoon.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Wed May 20, 2015 9:42 pm

Bayonetta 2, Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors.

SPOILER: Show
Splatoon
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Thu May 21, 2015 12:38 pm

Adding to the above:
Lego City Undercover
I admittedly haven't played all Lego games, but of those I have, this is easily the best. The city is huge and there's stuff to do around every corner. The story is fun with lot's of references (mostly of old cop movies/series, obviously) while remaining it's own thing and a surprisingly epic ending.
The only big downside are the long loading times, but these are only when entering/exiting the city to the usual Lego-style missions and the police headquarter. You can spend hours in the city without a single loading screen. And even if you have to sit through one, at least it got some funky music.
If you like Lego and/or open world games, give it a try.

Pikmin 3
I'm apparently a weirdo that I loved the dungeons in Pikmin 2, so that remains No. 1 in the series for me, but 3 is a close second. Story mode is still decently long and mastering Missions gives you plenty to do on top of that.
Remember to use superior Wiimote + Gamepad control (though I've heard many like the later patched in touchscreen control, but you won't have instant map access that way).

Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze
What to say, it's frikkin Dankey Kang! ... Granted, I'm not feeling Retro's DKC games as much as most others seem to do. That's not to say that's not a good game. As said, I'm a weirdo.

Zelda - Wind Waker HD
If you haven't played the original, it's a must have. Otherwise, it depends if it's worth it for you. Personally, I loved the updated graphics aside from the light sources that broke the 2D look occasionally. The Triforce hunt never bothered me too much, so that streamlining was just OK for me. Swift sail was definitely a very welcomed addition though and being able to see yourself exactly moving in on a treasure mark on the map on the gamepad was neat compared to having to pause on and off to pinpoint the location.

The Wonderful 101
This is going to be a bit longer, but I feel it deserves more, as it's probably the very definition of an underrated gem with it bombed pretty hard. Certainly didn't help that it was released with barely any advertising and a demo that throws you into the cold water without much explanation of the controls and a larger starting group, making it a bit overwhelming and turning a lot of people of that might have enjoyed the full game otherwise.
Granted, there is a steep learning curve, but once it clicks, there's no going back. Getting the feel for the techniques, the enemies strength and weaknesses, buying more skills (having to buy the very essential evasion skills is admittedly an arguable design decision, even if you can do so pretty much after the introduction already), increasing your numbers - and then get to rip through the enemies that gave you trouble before feels so good.
Mind you, while there is a learning curve, I wouldn't say it's extremely difficult, as some may say. I've seen a few comments of people feeling Normal was too hard for them and switching to Easy, but I'm not quite sure why you'd have to do that. This was my first Platinum-style action game and still can't do the ridiculous combos, constant juggling of enemies or Pure-Platinum-ing every stage as the pros out there can, yet I still managed to beat it on Normal the first time through and to 100% it eventually (which includes hard and very hard modes and getting Platinum on every stage for one difficulty (Normal in my case)). Progress-wise it's as forgiving as it can be: You have unlimited lives/continues and aside from a few sections, you start *exactly* were you left off as if you'd just used a full health item, so you could in theory chip an enemy's health down little by little if needed (though no enemy should give you that much trouble). Dying "only" ruins your rank, but don't kid yourself thinking you can get Platinum everywhere on the first time through anyway.
And to go against some common misconceptions:
- This is nothing like Pikmin despite the many small characters, and you don't have to care (much) for anyone but the leader, the others are basically (and quite literally in the gun's case) the ammo for your weapons - the more you have, the more powerful your attacks can be. So you would want avoid too many of them getting hurt, but it's not the end of the world if they do. They don't die, can only be knocked out for a bit and you can revive them instantly by touching them.
- You don't "have" to draw on the touchscreen, right stick works fine/better. You don't even have to use the Gamepad if you prefer the Pro Controller, you can have a screen-in-screen setting for the few instances when the action takes place on the smaller/both screen(s).
- You don't have to match the weapon symbol perfectly. The Z-shape for example can be done by just flicking the stick right-left-right.
- You don't have to draw every time to get a weapon out, just pressing A brings the last one out again. You only have to draw to change the weapon or get a bigger one (and there's even an item that allows you to avoid the latter).

If you like (Platinum's) action games, super hero/sentai (tropes being made fun of), amazing soundtrack and ever rising hype-levels of the best "You've ain't seen nothin' yet"-kind, this is a must have!

Shoujo Kakumei Asuka
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shoujo Kakumei Asuka » Thu May 21, 2015 1:14 pm

The New Super Luigi U expansion pack is also a necessary add-on for New Super Mario Bros U. While the addons for Wind Waker are nice, I'd only pay that much for it if you didn't have the original. Otherwise, most of the best suggestions have already been made. If you don't have to pay much for it and will be playing it with other people, then Nintendo Land could be worth it, assuming you don't already have it.
I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over... - Spike Spiegel

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Thu May 21, 2015 9:47 pm

View Original PostShoujo Kakumei Asuka wrote:If you don't have to pay much for it and will be playing it with other people, then Nintendo Land could be worth it, assuming you don't already have it.

I think the MSRP for NintendoLand is now $20 or $30, so it's pretty cheap.

Sucks bonkers that it's not on the eShop in the US anymore cause a nice party game like that is definitely a game that should be accessible at any time.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat May 23, 2015 7:38 am

Mario Kart 8
Mario 3D World
Bayonetta 2
Zombie U
Splatoon
Zelda Wind Waker HD
Metroid Trilogy from eshop
Pikmin 3
The Wonderful 101

Games to look forward to: Xenoblade X, Mario Maker, Zelda and probably some other unannounced games.

Plus you can play all the Wii games.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”