Mario 64 HD fan remake

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Mario 64 HD fan remake

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:27 pm

Yeah this is a thing.
Being made by fans:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLGMPLmgpv8[/url]
hopefully this isn't shut down by Nintendo.
Last edited by Rosenakahara on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Mario 64 HD remake

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:47 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:hopefully this isn't shut down by Nintendo.

If they are actually meaning to complete and release it to fans, then yes it most certainly will. Waste of time if you ask me.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:34 am

You should add to the title that it's a fan remake and not official cause the title you choosed is misleading and may dissapoint many.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:57 am

True, as a straight remake available for free it could hurt sales of currently available downloadable content and might cast a shadow over any potential official efforts at an hd remake in the future.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:55 am

We already got a ''remake'' for DS. If Nintendo wants to remake a Mario game it should be Galaxy or Sunshine.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:33 pm

That was more a port than a remake, and it certainly wasn't HD. Why shouldn't they protect all their options? It's their IP, and that's really all they have to stand on.

There's certainly a place for fangames but Nintendo would be fools not to stomp on this.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:54 pm

Well, Valve didn't stopped the Half Life fan remake (Black Mesa) and there are rumors that it will help the team that made it to release it on Steam.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:05 pm

^
Valve has a policy to hire the really talented modders (the prime example being those who made Counter Strike) and to let be the others as it's good with their PR.

Nintendo has a policy to keep total control over their production, which btw is why Nintendo games never lower their price.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:07 pm

Of course it's their policy and they have every right to protect any franchise they own.

Although this doesn't mean that Nintendo shouldn't be judged about how it operates for example when it comes to fan remakes that can't really harm them in a big way (assuming of course the project continues and Nintendo decides to stop it).

In general i consider Nintendo as a company with a ''hostile'' behaviour when it comes to collaborate with third parties or other competitors. And while with competitors someone could find it normal, Nintendo doesn't seem to appreciate neither the spirit/benefit of friendly competition, something that Sony and Microsoft are doing well.

But this is a discussion for an other time.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:36 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Nintendo has a policy to keep total control over their production, which btw is why Nintendo games never lower their price.

I always wondered why some of the Wii games at Gamestop are still so damn expensive. Skyward Sword is over $40 for a USED copy! I got a Wii Mini a few months back and I've been trying to pick up some interesting Wii games I never got to play, but damn, these prices...
[Redacted]

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:12 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:I always wondered why some of the Wii games at Gamestop are still so damn expensive. Skyward Sword is over $40 for a USED copy! I got a Wii Mini a few months back and I've been trying to pick up some interesting Wii games I never got to play, but damn, these prices...

Well I'm pretty sure Nintendo doesn't control the price for used games, that's GameStop's price gouging.

Also why the Hell did you buy a Wii Mini? That shit can't even go online and can only output in 480i...

Also, regarding the Nintendo shutting down this thing, I'm pretty sure Nintendo, as of a few months ago, their official policy regarding fanworks with their games is that if it doesn't make money, they have no problem with it.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:58 am

Price had more to do with it than anything else. The Mini was $100 bundled with Mario Kart Wii (which I also wanted, and which cost $25 if I bought it separately). All the standard Wiis I saw at that time were going for about $100-$120 by themselves. I only had $100 to spend, so I decided to get the Wii Mini bundle instead of getting the old Wii and having nothing to play on it for a while. Online play wasn't important to me as I almost never play anything online and Nintendo had shut down its Wii services anyhow. I didn't know about the resolution difference, though. Wasn't the regular Wii limited to 480i as well, or was that 480p?

Oh and on topic, I don't see how that fan remake is going to hurt Nintendo. There are already free mods which greatly improve the models and textures in the PC version of FFVII, yet a great many people (myself included) still want Square-Enix to remake that game themselves. In my experience, a fan remake is never as good as an official remake.
[Redacted]

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:22 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Price had more to do with it than anything else. The Mini was $100 bundled with Mario Kart Wii (which I also wanted, and which cost $25 if I bought it separately). All the standard Wiis I saw at that time were going for about $100-$120 by themselves. I only had $100 to spend, so I decided to get the Wii Mini bundle instead of getting the old Wii and having nothing to play on it for a while. Online play wasn't important to me as I almost never play anything online and Nintendo had shut down its Wii services anyhow. I didn't know about the resolution difference, though. Wasn't the regular Wii limited to 480i as well, or was that 480p?

Regular Wii could output in 480p if you had component cables. Also, while online on the Wii for most games, the Wii Shop Channel is still online, so you could still buy Virtual Console titles. Also, and I admit I don't know if this interests you, but the Wii Mini can't install the Homebrew Channel, as far as I know, so the system can't be made region-free and you can't install stuff like Retroarch.

And yeah, going on topic, I know this fan remake is still a work in progress, but it looks soulless. If they keep developing it, I hope they add some faux-Nintendo charm to it.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

xyz346
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby xyz346 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:22 pm

It looks like the game has potential but it remains to be seen if it'll be any good. I always enjoyed this game back in the day, but I felt like it really needed to be updated for modern consoles. I didn't really like the DS remake for it...I felt like that was the wrong console to remake it on. It should have gone on the 3DS and gotten the OoT/MM treatment.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:11 am

Mario looks like plastic in that video.

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Nintendo has a policy to keep total control over their production, which btw is why Nintendo games never lower their price.

I'd never heard this posited as a reason for why Nintendo games retain their value over time. The only reason I've ever heard is that people still want them that much even after all this time. Nintendo's products, I've heard, tend not to sell very well at the beginning but rather employ a "slow burn" strategy of selling "well enough" over a long period of time. I only just got my Wii U within the past 6 months or so, myself, so yeah, I'd buy that interpretation.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:54 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Mario looks like plastic in that video.

I'd never heard this posited as a reason for why Nintendo games retain their value over time. The only reason I've ever heard is that people still want them that much even after all this time. Nintendo's products, I've heard, tend not to sell very well at the beginning but rather employ a "slow burn" strategy of selling "well enough" over a long period of time. I only just got my Wii U within the past 6 months or so, myself, so yeah, I'd buy that interpretation.

I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

Hell, fuckng Mario Kart Wii is still in the top 100 best sellers for video games on Amazon.com at #73.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:21 pm

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

Hell, fuckng Mario Kart Wii is still in the top 100 best sellers for video games on Amazon.com at #73.

Just so you know, in general, Amazon best sellers are irrelevant for ''measuring'' the sales or the popularity.

Yes the list can give a good image of what's hot right now but it's very vague especially when it comes to old games and systems. For example i remember seeing the PSP quite high for some time (around Octomber i think) and the actual sales were under 5000 for the whole month in USA.

But truth is Mario Kart Wii is still selling well. It is in the Top 100 for 2014 in Germany

[url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146354807&postcount=151[/url]

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”