Super Smash Bros

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I'm very tempted to buy this game for 3DS but with all the other releases going on for other consoles (Alien: Isolation, Borderlands: Pre-Sequel, Bayonetta 2) I'd be stretching my budget for this month as it is.

I know, right?! Bayonetta 2 is coming out just in time for Halloween, and I'm like, dammit, I have less than 80 bucks left of discretionary spending until then after today's spree! (Hyrule Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles, at GameStop. Yes, they had it, I thought to ask, learned it was only $50, snatched it the fuck up.) Looks like I'm going to be eating very healthy for the rest of this month. (Fast food is under discretionary spending, not part of my actual food budget.)

:peace: Party AWWWWWN!

My wallet hurts.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:42 pm

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:06 pm

The only question now is whether to wait till ChristmbwaaHAAAA no I'll get it on launch day.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:30 pm

Christmas starts on November 21 :D

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:53 am

Man, Ike is a beast. I never paid him much mind until this Smash because only recently did I become a fan of Fire Emblem and only even more recently did I find out that he's into guys (useful for making more believable head-yaoi), but now that I've given him my attention I can't help but notice just how much ass he kicks in this game and it makes me wonder if it was true in Brawl too. I've heard in general that the bruisers from past games have been made much more formidable in this outing.

Oh Ike, how did I ever miss you? With your big shiny sword... and the roar of your voice when you up-taunt... and the sheer sense of power of your side-smash... and those muscles, below such a pretty face... and your gentle voice when you're not roaring mightily... and, and, and...
System Administrator

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:39 am

^Excellent :gendoscheme:

I don't remember playing much of Ike in Brawl, since I didn't try out many of the bruiser-type characters often, since they were fairly slow, I didn't really know how to combo Ike's specials well and his up-special could be hit-or-miss if you used it for recovery. But..I think I'll definitely be playing him a lot more now. :shifty:
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm not used to play as any Fire Emblem character either, except for Roy that, oh well you know he has made a plastic surgery and is now a very cute koopaling :devil:

From Twitter:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:10 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I don't remember playing much of Ike in Brawl, since I didn't try out many of the bruiser-type characters often, since they were fairly slow,

Same.

I didn't really know how to combo Ike's specials well and his up-special could be hit-or-miss if you used it for recovery. But..I think I'll definitely be playing him a lot more now. :shifty:

Ike's up-special is fantastic (in general I mean), dunno if it was in Brawl too, but also it's not his only recovery move. His side-special is really effective for that as well if you start from high up. Obviously it's a bad idea to use the up for recovery if you're horizontally far from the ledge; that's when you should use the side. Between the two methods, I had no particular problems recovering with him.
System Administrator

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:24 pm

I've read that Little Mac is OP. Is this true?
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:35 pm

I've played only one For Glory match so far (and it was against Sheik) so I can't comment. In For Fun, Little Mac often makes a strong showing but nothing OP; it's Bowser who tends to give me the most trouble, but a lot of that is because the way he fights is something I'm not used to -- I like to run under people and up-smash them as they fall, and against Bowser, that is a very bad idea. However I discovered recently that Ike's up-smash has priority over Bowser's butt-stomp :shifty:. In a match that I completely owned as Ike, no less.

Anyway, it's been only a few days since the game's NA release, and in most "pro" tier lists I don't usually see Mac up top. Top ten, but not #1. And tier lists are fluid so I wouldn't be too worried.

Of course that's assuming high-level play, and tiers vary at different levels, so maybe Mac is OP for mid or low play. :shrug: But not in For Fun, at least, and wouldn't it take considerable skill to take advantage of any OP character's ability?

I've really enjoyed the balance of all the characters, myself. Some are more challenging to fight only because they force me to rethink my strategy, as with Bowser, but that's not the same as overpowered. I think the fact that the tier lists differ significantly by region (Nintendo's actually keeping track) says a lot of good things for how well-balanced the game is.
System Administrator

xyz346
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby xyz346 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:19 am

I'm definitely enjoying this game so far. Shulk and Lucina are definitely my favorites so far. I like how much they improved a lot of the characters. Who's everyone maining?

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:55 am

I've been tearing it up as Ike. ZSS was my main, and is still in that top tier of characters I cycle through, but when I want to do my best I usually pick Ike now. As my skill with the game improves maybe ZSS will return to the top, but as it is I have a hard time doing as well with her as I do with Ike because ZSS doesn't have the same repertoire of power moves and her up-B requires a lot more precision than Ike's lovely sweeping swings.

EDIT (the next day): Much stiffer competition lately, and I'm loving it. I used to win consistently as Ike, but now it's a toss-up no matter who I play. I've been getting better as my other characters as well, but I've also developed a new main: Zelda.

Zelda's teleport is a secret weapon. Nobody expects it, and it's got some serious kick. Usually as Zelda I can hang back and pepper everyone else with fireballs while they duke it out, and then if someone comes for me, I can totally deal with it (actually that's what I'm usually trying to do in that situation, beckon someone over), but another option is to teleport into the middle of them and blow them all to kingdom come. :lol:

What I can't figure out at this juncture is what her down-B is for. I've yet to find an effective use for the Phantom Slash: it takes forever to charge to go more than a minimum distance, seems slow, seems weak compared to just doing a plain ol' smash, and after using it once there's considerable cooldown before you can use it again. What is the point of this thing? Zelda's other moves seem better than it in every way.
System Administrator

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:24 pm

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:34 pm

FFFUUUUUCK. YYYEEEEESSS.

I KNEW IT WAS GONNA HAPPEN.

Not Mewtwo specifically but new characters as DLC.

You know what this means? We can hope for Hyrule Warriors Impa.

Also Mewtwo better kick ass this time and not be so laggy. To make up for his prior exclusion.
System Administrator

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:43 am

I don't even know how to string expletives together anymore on account that I'm so pumped for this shit.

Hell, just the fact that there might be some DLC characters makes me giddy.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:01 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I've given him my attention I can't help but notice just how much ass he kicks in this game and it makes me wonder if it was true in Brawl too.

Ike was very powerful in Brawl. His B attack, fully charged, was only slightly weaker than the bat.

His weakness was his slow speed, and low jump height, but if his blows connected, characters would be sent reeling.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:31 pm

Owned the (3DS) game for a month now, finally cleared classic mode at 9.0 intensity and hit 1004m in the home-run contest. Having plenty of fun so far.

Pardon the expression- but Link has been my main pick since the N64 days and remains mah boi; his new dash attack can be a nightmare to use effectively in solo battles, but in free-for-alls and team battles it tends to clear the stage quite effectively.

My online record is unsurprisingly bad (I imagine that I do- in fact -suck at melee), but I find that most of my “for glory” team battles are victorious.
Robin is fast becoming my second favourite character and his/her spell attacks seem especially well-suited for the flat stages. Arc-thunder/Thoron-spamming rarely fails in team battles.
I’ve developed a fear of Zero Suit Samus, Yoshi and Sonic in solo battles; some of the fiercest players I’ve come across use these characters ridiculously well.

Seems that 90% of the time I encounter a Capt. Falcon player online- they invariably choose his white and pink gear. I just think that’s kind of funny.
I don’t think I’ve seen anybody play as Olimar online however.
Is there anything more annoying than the Villager and or Little Mac winning free-for-all battles? Well, laggy online battles might be one example, and the penalty you get for exiting a laggy battle and doing everybody else a favour by ending it might be another.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:14 pm

Having played the Wii U version of Smash, they really should have just carried over the unlockable characters, Smash Run, and the 3DS stages to the Wii U and not have bothered with the 3DS version. It feels like a glorified Newgrounds demo compared to Smash Wii U, which feels like a full game.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:52 am

I'm probably one of the few people who main Mario, and I'm pleased as punch to find out that he's actually pretty good all things considered. Still playing around with the characters, so I'll have to post about em at a later date, but I'm kinda digging Robin. Not betting it in For Glory mode just yet with him, but I might have give that a whirl.

General thoughts, the weirder their little Mii avatar looks, the better they seem to play usually. Ike seems to be peoples "I'm tired of losing" character, I have yet to find someone who plays as Bowser who doesn't spam, Yoshi is deceivingly good, I have yet to face a decent Pikachu player, Jigglypuff players spam their sleep attack (with varying success), Little Mac is worthless if you can jump and dodge, and I find fighting Captain Falcon kind of aggravating regardless of the person's skills.

I'll just twiddle my thumbs as Mario until there's a new rep for Donkey Kong, which is highly unlikely given Sakurai's stance on DLC for it. Sucks, I'm normally not a fan of DLC like that, but I'd might actually shell out if someone I like pops up.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:40 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Having played the Wii U version of Smash, they really should have just carried over the unlockable characters, Smash Run, and the 3DS stages to the Wii U and not have bothered with the 3DS version. It feels like a glorified Newgrounds demo compared to Smash Wii U, which feels like a full game.

I have the Wii U version now but I still play the 3DS version cuz it's a lot harder to carry my Wii U with me everywhere I go. They're different use cases and I use both so I'm glad for the existence of each.
System Administrator

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”