Mario Kart 8 - Where is the love?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Mario Kart 8 - Where is the love?

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue May 27, 2014 5:30 am

So Mario Kart 8 is coming out this week and wanting to hear out what the fellow forum members are thinking i just find out that there is not even a thread for the game! I suppose no one own a WiiU like me in here?

Mario Kart 8 is the latest installment in the famous Mario Kart series. It will probably be the biggest title WiiU will get in it's lifetime. Reviews are out and almost all of them are ranging out between 9 and 10. The graphics look sick, especially the lightning and the gameplay will probably be as fun as ever.

There are some good WiiU offers where i live and i still haven't decided if will buy the console yet. Mario Kart 8 though makes it hard to resist though. I will probably wait for E3 to see what Nintendo has in store for WiiU.

In the meantime check the official site and the Wikipedia page for more info:

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_kart_8[/url]
[url]http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/[/url]
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Tue May 27, 2014 7:44 am

ill probably pick this game up for my birthday in june

of course i'm one of like 50 people that has a wii u and actively uses it tho (hey using the web browser counts dammit)
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Mario Kart 8 - Where is the love?

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue May 27, 2014 11:09 am

View Original PostDima wrote:I suppose no one own a WiiU like me in here?

You're definitely in the minority. If I'm not mistaken, the Wii U is the second worst selling Nintendo system after the Virtual Boy. I intend to get one eventually, but not before the library merits it, and that will probably be after I pick up a PS4 and Xbox One.

View Original PostDima wrote:It will probably be the biggest title WiiU will get in it's lifetime.

Uhhh... Super Smash Bros.?

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue May 27, 2014 1:01 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:You're definitely in the minority. If I'm not mistaken, the Wii U is the second worst selling Nintendo system after the Virtual Boy. I intend to get one eventually, but not before the library merits it, and that will probably be after I pick up a PS4 and Xbox One.

You are not mistaken it is the worst selling Nintendo system after Virtual Boy. Even Dreamcast was selling so much better at this point (it had an amazing library also).

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Uhhh... Super Smash Bros.?

Super Smash Bros. is coming for 3DS this summer and the WiiU version is coming Fall 2014/Early 2015 so i suppose the 3DS version will get the biggest share since it has a large userbase (40 million). Although the 2 versions are very different i don't think people who will get the 3DS version will double dip also the WiiU version later, especially when they don't own the console.

This doesn't mean that the WiiU version will sell bad but i don't think it will outsell the 3DS version, let alone reach Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) numbers.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue May 27, 2014 1:24 pm

Just a quick reminder for those people who will be buying Mario Kart:

Register MK8 between May 30 to July 31 (on Club Nintendo) to get a free Nintendo
eShop download code for one of four select Wii U games.

-New Super Mario Bros. U

-Pikmin 3
-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD

-Wii Party U

http://club2.nintendo.com/mario-kart8-promo/

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue May 27, 2014 1:30 pm

^

That's very nice. Thanks for posting that! If i am not mistaken they started doing the same with 3DS for some games. Wish Sony or MS could do the same with every new purchase but i suppose giving 2 games every month for free(PS Plus and LIVE) is nice too :lol: .

MarioAyanami128
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MarioAyanami128 » Tue May 27, 2014 2:09 pm

I will get me one in the next few months. We'll exchange Friend Codes thorugh here! :P And create a Torunament group "The Eva Geeks". :D

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:You're definitely in the minority. If I'm not mistaken, the Wii U is the second worst selling Nintendo system after the Virtual Boy. I intend to get one eventually, but not before the library merits it, and that will probably be after I pick up a PS4 and Xbox One.

Uhhh... Super Smash Bros.?

Indeed it is the second worst selling system, but it has only been out for a bit more than a year. Lifetime sales will exceed the N64 and GC numbers, you can count on that.

Also....
Super Smash Bros. doesn't move units like MK..
Mario Kart Wii is the best-selling stand alone game of all time, almost reaching 35 million units sold.
Super Smash Bros may be the most hyped game, but surely it won't sell more than MK8. Not only may this be the best entry in the series, but the innnovations it's bringing to the series' core gameplay may make MK8 the killer app the Wii U is needing. Also, the Wii U still has a larger install base than the X1....
The Eva-Zelda relations are way stronger than you can ever imagine.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue May 27, 2014 2:49 pm

View Original PostMarioAyanami128 wrote:Indeed it is the second worst selling system, but it has only been out for a bit more than a year. Lifetime sales will exceed the N64 and GC numbers, you can count on that.

Eh i wouldn't really and neither should you (i am telling this for you own good! :tongue: )

View Original PostMarioAyanami128 wrote:Super Smash Bros. doesn't move units like MK..
Mario Kart Wii is the best-selling stand alone game of all time, almost reaching 35 million units sold.
Super Smash Bros may be the most hyped game, but surely it won't sell more than MK8. Not only may this be the best entry in the series, but the innnovations it's bringing to the series' core gameplay may make MK8 the killer app the Wii U is needing. Also, the Wii U still has a larger install base than the X1....

Mario Kart Wii is not the best selling stand alone game of all time cause it is behind Super Mario Bros for NES and Wii Sports for Wii. Smash Bros is moving units (check Brawl) and it will move some Wii Us also but not enough since there is the 3DS version. Mario Kart Wii was a good game that deserved those sales but after one point the game was heavenly bundled with Wii's and from Nintendo official reports we know that they are counting also the bundled copies. (the same applies to Wii Sports which was literally bundled with every Wii console)

Also Wii was anomaly/lighting in the bottle that got the casual audience and not the traditional gamer (hardcore if you want) so it played big part in those sales. That's why third parties never really supported it and the software number for the third parties for 360 and PS3 are more higher than Wii's. Anyway don't except similar numbers for Mario Kart 8.

Also WiiU may have a larger install base than the X1 but one it out for one and half year and the other for only a half.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Tue May 27, 2014 3:35 pm

Still not sure whether or not to get MK8. The only Mario Kart I've played excessively was 64, most others I either dropped early or didn't get at all. Also just bought a new car, so I'm rather broke.
Free game is neat (Europe has even more to chose from), but I already have the ones I really want.

View Original PostMarioAyanami128 wrote:We'll exchange Friend Codes thorugh here! :P
It's NNID now. ;) "JimmyWolk" here (big surprise).

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue May 27, 2014 3:50 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Super Smash Bros. is coming for 3DS this summer and the WiiU version is coming Fall 2014/Early 2015 so i suppose the 3DS version will get the biggest share since it has a large userbase (40 million). Although the 2 versions are very different i don't think people who will get the 3DS version will double dip also the WiiU version later, especially when they don't own the console.

This doesn't mean that the WiiU version will sell bad but i don't think it will outsell the 3DS version, let alone reach Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) numbers.

The 3DS version will easily outsell the Wii U version, but not because it comes out early, but because of the install base of the 3DS. Knowing the Smash community, I forsee the serious players preferring the Wii U version hands down, because the controller being so critical, and I don't see the 3DS being all that comfortable for fighting games. Not to mention, it's all about getting 4 people around a TV. Not to mention the spectatorship that you can't have with handhelds.

View Original PostMarioAyanami128 wrote:Indeed it is the second worst selling system, but it has only been out for a bit more than a year. Lifetime sales will exceed the N64 and GC numbers, you can count on that.

Unless Nintendo realizes they "dun goofed" by releasing a system with the specs of the previous generation, and an awkward, unnecessary, and poorly realized gimmick, and decides to kill it hard and early in favor of creating a conventional game platform that doesn't rely on gimmicks and is more inclusive of third-party developers. I just don't see the Wii U having a very long lifespan.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue May 27, 2014 6:38 pm

I'm feeling the hype. Sadly have to wait a little longer than others (3 days), because on Amazon Spain it's only 45€.

About the library (what Eva Monkey mentioned) for me it's good enough. I will pick up the PS4 eventually, but I prefer the Wii U, because I want to play the Ninty games by release.

Oh and Smash. SMASH! It's one of my favourite series. This one looks sooo good. Brawl just was too slow, Melee to fast IMO. This one is just perfect.

The Wii U sure does have its problems, but people give it too much shit. But yeah people are stupid with that nonsensical fanboy mentality. The Nintendo games are top notch. The problem is the droughts, although I don't play that much, so I don't care.

Edit:
Unless Nintendo realizes they "dun goofed" by releasing a system with the specs of the previous generation, and an awkward, unnecessary, and poorly realized gimmick, and decides to kill it hard and early in favor of creating a conventional game platform that doesn't rely on gimmicks and is more inclusive of third-party developers. I just don't see the Wii U having a very long lifespan.

They really did. :/
But they thought the specs were enough for the next generation (they consulted with third parties and Iwata said he expected PS4 and XBox to have similar specs), and PS4 was going to be weaker (Wii U has 2GB of RAM, PS4 has 8 but was going to have 4). Some say it's a conspiracy lol.

I still give them a chance with the GamePad. Nintendo Land is really fun. Zelda will make good use, I'm sure. But till now it has been good for off TV only. The applications in the games felt forced. The last chance I give them...

Also I think Wii U can reach GameCube sales (20 million, right? They have sold 6 million, I'm sure they reach 10 this year).
But...a question. Why are there no ads for the thing? Gamers hate Nintendo, those that don't will eventually buy the system, so the sales have to come from casuals now. And casuals do not know that the system exists!

I think Wii U will be on the market till late 2016/17, Iwata said costumers will be satisfied, and they have enough money.

Edit 2:
I like the idea of a Eva Geeks tournament.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue May 27, 2014 7:25 pm

I might have space for a WiiU if I carefully rearrange my existing console collection. Bayonetta 2 is gonna be a WiiU exclusive so that's reason enough to get one. I'd definitely get the WiiU over the PS4 or the Xbox One at any rate.

As for Smash...given the fact that the community will tear you limb from limb if you play the game the "wrong" way (using certain characters, using items, using any stage that isn't Final Destination...) I don't think I'm going to get it any time soon. Fighting games all seem to attract douchey "procore" types for some reason...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

MarioAyanami128
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MarioAyanami128 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:26 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Eh i wouldn't really and neither should you (i am telling this for you own good! :tongue: )

Mario Kart Wii is not the best selling stand alone game of all time cause it is behind Super Mario Bros for NES and Wii Sports for Wii. Smash Bros is moving units (check Brawl) and it will move some Wii Us also but not enough since there is the 3DS version. Mario Kart Wii was a good game that deserved those sales but after one point the game was heavenly bundled with Wii's and from Nintendo official reports we know that they are counting also the bundled copies. (the same applies to Wii Sports which was literally bundled with every Wii console)

Also Wii was anomaly/lighting in the bottle that got the casual audience and not the traditional gamer (hardcore if you want) so it played big part in those sales. That's why third parties never really supported it and the software number for the third parties for 360 and PS3 are more higher than Wii's. Anyway don't except similar numbers for Mario Kart 8.

Trust me. Over the next 3 months, the Wii U will sell big time.
Super Mario Bros and Wii Sports were 95% bundled with the console. Few MK Wiis were sold as part of a bundle. This is why I said that MK Wii was the best-selling stand alone console game. Also, I'm not sure if casuals make up the most of that number. I mean, I believe that most of these sales come from the hardcore Wii players. If Smash moved more than MK from the hardcore pov, it wouldn't have been so large the difference between sales number (more than 20 million more units were sold over Brawl).
Indeed, I don't think MK8 will sell as good as Wii, but I believe it will be the game that will change the console's destiny.

@ The Eva Monkey
The Wii U is actually more powerful than most people think. By now, it has the largest number of games confirmed to run at 60 fps locked, with some of them being full 1080p, while the X1 is having a hard time reaching that, with games running at 30 fps and 900-somethingp. :P
The gamepad has been put to good use by wonderful games like Nintendo Land, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, and ZombiU. I don't see it as a gimmick much, but if Nintendo actually marketed the damn thing and the press not being suckers at Nintendo with all the doom hype they created, the Wii U wouldn't be in the position it finds itself today.
I bet you 50 bucks the U will have a lifespan of more than 5 years. ;)
The Eva-Zelda relations are way stronger than you can ever imagine.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue May 27, 2014 7:34 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I might have space for a WiiU if I carefully rearrange my existing console collection. Bayonetta 2 is gonna be a WiiU exclusive so that's reason enough to get one. I'd definitely get the WiiU over the PS4 or the Xbox One at any rate.

As for Smash...given the fact that the community will tear you limb from limb if you play the game the "wrong" way (using certain characters, using items, using any stage that isn't Final Destination...) I don't think I'm going to get it any time soon. Fighting games all seem to attract douchey "procore" types for some reason...

I hate people like that and Smash is one of MAH FAV GAMES.
Don't let them ruin Smash for you. Just play! :sniffle:

Edit: 3D World is a masterpiece. Worth getting the console for.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Tue May 27, 2014 9:01 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Edit: 3D World is a masterpiece. Worth getting the console for.

B-b-but PS4 and Xbone gamers said it was just 3D Land upscaled!!!
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue May 27, 2014 9:04 pm

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:B-b-but PS4 and Xbone gamers said it was just 3D Land upscaled!!!

:tongue:
I'll be honest, I feared that when I saw the E3 trailer (worst trailer ever), but I don't know how I could doubt EAD Tokyo. I feel ashamed.

BTW there's a neat app for 3DS, Photos with Mario, made by the same developers. I love their artwork. But Europe doesn't have it. :/

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed May 28, 2014 4:30 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:They really did. :/
But they thought the specs were enough for the next generation (they consulted with third parties and Iwata said he expected PS4 and XBox to have similar specs), and PS4 was going to be weaker (Wii U has 2GB of RAM, PS4 has 8 but was going to have 4). Some say it's a conspiracy lol.

Doubt this is true. Reports are saying that the developers had development kits of Xbox One since 2011 and it had 4GB. The same applies for PS4 but Sony decided to go with 8GB and MS followed. 2GB of ram can make a big difference and frankly it's not only the ram but also the cores and the graphics card. The truth is that WiiU is on par with PS3 and 360. Some developers even said that it's worst actually.

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Also I think Wii U can reach GameCube sales (20 million, right? They have sold 6 million, I'm sure they reach 10 this year).

They shipped 6 million not sold. This is a big difference. Probably it has sold somewhere around 3.5 and 4 millions. In their last report they said that they plan to sell 3 million WiiUs. 3 million for the year of Mario Kart 8 and Smash which translates to their best year. Imagine how hard it will be to reach 20 million.

View Original PostMarioAyanami128 wrote:The Wii U is actually more powerful than most people think. By now, it has the largest number of games confirmed to run at 60 fps locked, with some of them being full 1080p, while the X1 is having a hard time reaching that, with games running at 30 fps and 900-somethingp. :P

Just because it has games that run at 60FPS and 1080p this doesn't mean that it is better than X1. PS3 and 360 had games at 60FPS and 1080p does it mean that they are more powerful from X1? Just take a look at the specs and you will see that WiiU has nothing in front of X1 or PS4. X1 and PS4 are simply a generation ahead. EA said that Frostbite 3 can't even run on WiiU.

Anyways i think we talked enough of WiiU. This thread is about Mario Kart 8 so if you want to continue this discussion i suggest someone opens a WiiU dedicated thread.

I look forward to some Mario Kart 8 impressions soon. If nobody will post by the end of the week i will grab some from an other forum and post them here :lol:

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Wed May 28, 2014 6:41 am

View Original PostDima wrote:EA said that Frostbite 3 can't even run on WiiU.

I know you said we've talked enough about the Wii U, but I don't feel like making a Wii U dedicated thread just to point this out, but EA later said the Wii U could run Frostbite 3. Of course, it's not like EA is even a good company anymore.

Anyways, I'm hype for Mario Kart 8. I don't mind it only being 720p 'cause my TV is only 720p!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed May 28, 2014 7:23 am

This one year in high school, on the last day of school, I got roped randomly into a cable-connected game of Mario Kart on our GBAs with like two or three other people. I'd never even met them before, and they were all surprised when I kicked all their asses at it (using skills developed on the SNES version; I'd never played the GBA version). The instigator of the whole thing, an energetic and memorable Asian guy, energetically swore with a pleasantly surprised smile on his face each time I won, and I just sat there smiling.

Ah, good times. Wish I could remember exactly what it was he said to me each time I won. I just remember he swore a surprising amount (not at me, except in the most positive way, like "Shit, man! Holy shit!" or "What the shit!") and it made me smile.

I suspect the game by now has changed far too much for me to pull anything like that off again, especially across the world-wide competitive field that exists online, so, uh, I'm just going to quietly continue my retirement undefeated :hahaha:.

I've barely played any Mario Kart since then except for this one time renting Double Dash. And I barely even remember that game anymore.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed May 28, 2014 7:30 am

It has changed. But MK7 and 8 are the only ones I am really interested in since 64 and Super Circuit (the GBA one), and I don't remember Double Dash. DS and Wii were good entries, but, I dunno.
Also when you fall Lakitu takes you back the the race in miliseconds. That makes the game like 100 times better. That long pause in a racer...a sin.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”