Souls Series (Dark Souls, Demon's Souls, Bloodborne)

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:About the ending you asked (Kinda): [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwUm_S1fedw[/url]

I knew it! I knew it! I knew something was fishy about the so-called "dark" ending! :hahaha:

I didn't watch the whole thing, my mind was blown as soon as he mentioned
SPOILER: Show

that the "dark ending" ushers in the Age of Man.

I stopped because he said that in order to understand the ending(s) you have to understand what's going on in the game and why it's significant. It's true, I had no idea the significance of the ending.

But I want to find out in the game if at all possible. Rather than watch a lore video, is there any way, any way at all, to understand the significance of these events by playing the game? Were there cutscenes I missed where someone explains the lore better? The ending I got didn't even mention the "*** of ***" that I mentioned in the spoiler box. Surely the lore can be figured out within the game itself because otherwise how would anyone even know about it to make a lore video about it?

Also, don't forget to play the dlc area, if you haven't yet.

:headscratch: Maybe I already have. What's it called? I played every area listed in the FAQ by A I e x that I used sparingly. (Prolific FAQ-writer, that guy, I've seen his name easily more often than any other, in fact he's the only FAQ-writer I could name offhand.)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:50 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:
But I want to find out in the game if at all possible. Rather than watch a lore video, is there any way, any way at all, to understand the significance of these events by playing the game? Were there cutscenes I missed where someone explains the lore better?

If you want to understand the lore without watching vids, then you have to read item descriptions, talk to NPC's.
Dark souls' lore is like a puzzle. (Amazing puzzle) You have to connect stuff together. (Like in Eva)

Though, it takes very long time if you want to understand it without videos.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote: :headscratch: Maybe I already have. What's it called? I played every area listed in the FAQ by A I e x that I used sparingly. (Prolific FAQ-writer, that guy, I've seen his name easily more often than any other, in fact he's the only FAQ-writer I could name offhand.)

Here's a video guide: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7eFaKCYWfA[/url] This shows how to get to the dlc area.

EDIT: New Dark souls II trailer just came out: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SJqRpvebCY&feature=youtu.be[/url]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:17 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:If you want to understand the lore without watching vids, then you have to read item descriptions, talk to NPC's.
Dark souls' lore is like a puzzle. (Amazing puzzle) You have to connect stuff together. (Like in Eva)

Though, it takes very long time if you want to understand it without videos.

:chinscratch: ...I just might settle for the videos after all.

Here's a video guide: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7eFaKCYWfA[/url] This shows how to get to the dlc area.

:jawdrop: Nope, didn't do that.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:51 am

Didn't read much of the rest of the thread, but I had been playing, well somewhat on my 360, and while I do have the Steam version, my PC doesn't have to specs to run it atm. (Specs issue I will resolve at a later date by getting a new PC)

I get that there always a much larger appeal for the game's PvP elements, I'm want o at least just clearing the story, if only just once before DS2 comes out. My only problem is figure how to properly build a character so as to bee effective for playing through the story.

I followed a video guide for a little while, and was able to follow it, and I ended up beating Ornstein and Smough on my first try.
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"
"Ephebophelia...? This is SHOTA!"

WARNING: Brik is being incredibly awesome

Join the Evageeks discord!

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:32 pm

"Early reviews for Dark Souls II have praised the increase in difficulty, atmosphere and visuals in the game, seeing it as a large improvement even over the first two installments in the series. The German magazine M! Games gave it a 90% fresh rating, with the reviewer stating that it took him upwards of 60 hours to complete."

Game of the century.

CANT. WAIT.

Also, those who haven't played the first game: No worries, you don't need to know anything about the first Dark souls.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:47 am

View Original PostKaminoyouni wrote:I followed a video guide for a little while, and was able to follow it, and I ended up beating Ornstein and Smough on my first try.

:hahaha: Where's the fun in that?
System Administrator

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:03 am

^Yea.
Reading Dark souls related guidebook or watching a playthrough is not wise choice.

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:23 pm

Oh so am I supposed to feel bad or something? I'm rather tired of people telling me how to my first play through of a game should be, it didn't spoil my experience at all. So what's it to you?
Proud Member of F.A.P.
"A twenty-nine year-old woman having her way with a fourteen year-old boy? This is perversion! This is ephebophilia!"

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:26 pm

How long did you watch that video guide? Few minutes? An hour? Two hours?

Kaminoyouni
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaminoyouni » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:02 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:How long did you watch that video guide? Few minutes? An hour? Two hours?
Again, what does it matter, to you?
Proud Member of F.A.P.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:35 am

Fine, don't answers my question then. =_=

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:56 am

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:"Early reviews for Dark Souls II have praised the increase in difficulty, atmosphere and visuals in the game, seeing it as a large improvement even over the first two installments in the series. The German magazine M! Games gave it a 90% fresh rating, with the reviewer stating that it took him upwards of 60 hours to complete.".

That's what it matters to me most. Since the unveil of the game there was this impression that the game might be more easy to attract new users. I am glad it wasn't true. I never had doubts about the atmoshpere though ^_^

It is my most anticipated game but the lack of free time and games like Lords of Shadows 2, Ground Zeroes, TLU Left Behind might hold me back from buying it on launch. Combine this with the recent comments of the developers that they may release DLC then it wont come as a surprise that after some time they will decide to release a complete pack with all DLC along with PS4/X1 versions.

Maybe i will go with Steam for start but i really enjoy playing these kinds of games on my PS3.
Dammit!
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:50 am

View Original PostDima wrote:That's what it matters to me most. Since the unveil of the game there was this impression that the game might be more easy to attract new users.

Yeah, Dsk II isn't any easier, it's just clearer for new players.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:22 pm

Famitsu review is in.

Dark Souls 2: 9/10/9/9 [37/40]

This is the same score they gave at Dark Souls. Also they gave Demon Souls a 27/40 LOL.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:30 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Famitsu review is in.

Dark Souls 2: 9/10/9/9 [37/40]

Not bad. :D
View Original PostDima wrote:Also they gave Demon Souls a 27/40 LOL.

Lol, wth. :hahaha:

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:20 pm

View Original PostGiji Shinka wrote:Lol, wth. :hahaha:

Yeah, what they were thinking? :lol:

So where you guys are planning on playing the game? PS3, 360 or PC?

Giji Shinka you will probably go with the PS3 version right?

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:54 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Giji Shinka you will probably go with the PS3 version right?

Yup. :asuka_happy:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:19 pm

Probably PC for me. I've got a perfectly good PS3 but consoles die eventually (and last-gen's consoles will die a particularly bad death once network support for them is dropped) whereas PC is forever, so for that alone (alongside countless other benefits) I always spring for the PC version where I can.
System Administrator

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:08 am

Yeah i am thinking on going with PC also. The only bad thing is that the PC version doesn't have a release date yet but rumors are pointing to an April/May release. I really hope the wait is gonna pay off and they will not treat the PC version like Dark Souls which was a piece of s**t at launch. It still is but at least now there is the Durante patch.

I was so mad with the way they treated the PC version that the next day i stormed a shop and bought Artorias of the Abyss for PS3.

Also for those who are interested in the original Souls game Demons Souls i must say that the sequel is probably underway for PS4 according to a Sony employee on GAF. The user is trustworthy and the mods have confirmed that he works for Sony. He hinted that the game is a collaboration of FROM and Sony Japan Studio (just like Demons Souls) and that Hidetaka Miyazaki the man who directed both Demons and Dark Souls will direct it. Miyazaki isn't directing Dark Souls 2 because he is working on an unknown project since 2012 probably Demons Souls 2.

Also the Sony guy said that the game may not be called Demons Souls 2 but it will probably have the Souls word on the title.

Usually i am very cautious with these thing but as i said the man works for Sony and other insiders have confirmed that Sony is working on a Demons Souls sequel. So yeah a Souls game is coming exclusive for PS4 but the full name and FROM's role will remain in air until the official confirmation.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:30 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Also for those who are interested in the original Souls game Demons Souls i must say that the sequel is probably underway for PS4 according to a Sony employee on GAF. The user is trustworthy and the mods have confirmed that he works for Sony. He hinted that the game is a collaboration of FROM and Sony Japan Studio (just like Demons Souls) and that Hidetaka Miyazaki the man who directed both Demons and Dark Souls will direct it. Miyazaki isn't directing Dark Souls 2 because he is working on an unknown project since 2012 probably Demons Souls 2.

Also the Sony guy said that the game may not be called Demons Souls 2 but it will probably have the Souls word on the title.

Usually i am very cautious with these thing but as i said the man works for Sony and other insiders have confirmed that Sony is working on a Demons Souls sequel. So yeah a Souls game is coming exclusive for PS4 but the full name and FROM's role will remain in air until the official confirmation.

Wait....[url]http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/28/atlus-demons-souls-2-100-not-happening#[/url] Well, Hidetaka is working on something, at least.

Also, I doubt that they are working on new souls game for PS4. It will most likely be spiritual successor to Souls-series.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”