Video Games you love that nobody else has heard of

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:44 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:
Mech Commander 2

Second.

Total Annihilation

It's a game I love that is pretty unknown in comparison to that other RTS that came out months afterwards.

Singularity84
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Singularity84 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Anodyne:
Bought it for cheap on steam. Its a really awesome indie game that channels things like A Link to The Past and Earthbound. Every little thing in it that happened with a new level was awesome to me. It was just flat out awesome...and thats awesome!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:37 am

View Original PostSingularity84 wrote:A Link to The Past and Earthbound.

Those are two very, very different games, so how does it channel both?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Singularity84
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Singularity84 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:49 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Those are two very, very different games, so how does it channel both?

It has Earthbound's quirky sense of humor and atmosphere, but plays like A Link to The Past.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Thrill kill
The infamous fighting game that got banned/cancelled because it was too brutal. I got the pirated version of it on my Ps1 and I still play it sometimes. :exalt:

Omegagouki
Shikigami of the Castle
Shikigami of the Castle

•      
  •      

Postby Omegagouki » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Live A Live and Rudra no Hihou, SNES - or rather, Super Famicom. Great RPGs by Square that made it to the US that aren't as well-known as several other "No Export for You" titles.
PSN/Steam: Zentillion | Tum8lr
8luh 8luh
Sill (and always) promoting Homestuck

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Recca

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:45 pm

Recca for the Nintendo Famicom
Super rare game, but since they re-released on 3ds eshop you can buy it for 4 bucks
Basically it's a top down shooter. To summarize I'll post what Hardcore Gaming101.net
has to say about it

"From the very beginning, Recca is obscenely fast. Imagine enemy ships moving onto and off of the screen in as little as a second,
with groups of two dozen on screen at the same time, each of which is immediately replaced by equally large groups.
Hordes of ships and many, many shots will pour onto the screen without pause for the duration of the entire game"
"Bosses are often half the size of the screen and have huge limbs consisting of multiple sprites moving in unison.
You'll have to deal with dodging massive laser weapons from multiple laser turrets at once, or ships that literally fire
fountains of shots in a endless stream"

[url]http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/recca/recca.htm[/url]

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Re: Recca

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:06 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Recca for the Nintendo Famicom
Super rare game, but since they re-released on 3ds eshop you can buy it for 4 bucks
Basically it's a top down shooter.

Every time that game is mentioned, I remember when I was talking to my friend I were talking about it and then the Nintendo Direct that same day was the one announcing it was being released on the Virtual Console in NA.

I didn't buy it until a few months later though.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:44 am

Also I forgot to add that the music (for Recca) is something to behold. It's pretty amazing what that little game can put out on a 8-bit system.

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

AzraFell
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AzraFell » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:16 pm

Psychonauts - Ps2 - Odd and quirky game about a 10 year old boy running away from the circus to join a psychic camp :)

Dragons Dogmas - PS2 - Fantasy Rpg that did not get the love it deserved.

9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors -DS- Puzzle adventure about a group of stranger being trapped in a sinking boat. I've seen it talked about online quite a bit but no one know has ever actually heared of it so I'll put it here anyways.

Hotel Dusk - DS - Puzzle/Detective with unique visuals

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:31 pm

View Original PostAzraFell wrote:9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors -DS- Puzzle adventure about a group of stranger being trapped in a sinking boat. I've seen it talked about online quite a bit but no one know has ever actually heared of it so I'll put it here anyways.

This is easily one of my favorite series of all time. I've been telling all my friends with a (3)DS to go out and play this game (and the sequel if they can), but I've only very recently managed to convert one of them. I could gush for hours about its plot, execution, writing and ambiance.
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

AzraFell
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AzraFell » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:53 pm

View Original PostAgentomega wrote:This is easily one of my favorite series of all time. I've been telling all my friends with a (3)DS to go out and play this game (and the sequel if they can), but I've only very recently managed to convert one of them. I could gush for hours about its plot, execution, writing and ambiance.

I managed to get one other person to play it but they got so annoyed by all the talking apparently. They played for an hour, then never picked it up again XD

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:20 am

The Cat Lady: It's an amazing (is that the right word?) psychological 2D horror game; despite being only 2D, it's probably much more interesting and frightening than any horror game I've played recently; it reminds me a lot of Silent Hill but also has similarities to other games such as Yume Nikki and The Walking Dead and it really is a unique creature in terms of its storytelling and gameplay. Despite it coming out relatively recently in 2012, it doesn't seem to have become very popular despite being well-reviewed and being an excellent game. It's come out recently on Steam (which is how I heard about it) and has been available on GOG. I'd seriously recommend it to any survival or psychological horror fans, although you may need a walkthrough for some of the tricky or trippy puzzles.

There's also a spin-off prequel game called Downfall, I might check it out later.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:23 am

Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors - Totally underrated game for what it was worth. A rare gem for the original XBox by From Software in which you played between 6 characters drawn from Japanese mythology. through third-person. Of course you went around laying the smackdown on demons, but the graphics and gameplay were so smooth and fluent, it was a wonder to play. Traditional RPG elements where levelling stats was based on the frequency in which you used them, completely different abilities, weapons and styles of play, item adjustments, a good 22-25 levels excluding non-story missions, multiple endings in various levels, and New Game +. Unfortunately, the game being exclusive to the XBox, like the original (Myth of Demons) meant its fanfare was very small in Japan. Had it been on the PS2, I'll bet it would have soared.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZySNXLnCtQ[/url]

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:34 am

Virtual-On and Virtual-On Oratorio Tangram. Some Japanese arcades had a whole floor with these games alone back in the day, and for bloody good reasons.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Oh sure. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:19 pm

View Original PostAzraFell wrote:9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors -DS-

Own it, played it, jiggled Clover's goods.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:35 pm

For me Capcom's Rival Schools on the PS1. Think Street Fighter, but with High School . Teachers and High School Students fighting each other with things like rulers, Volleyballs, Baseball bats. It's equal parts hilarious and action packed. The characters are memorable, and well designed, it's got fanservice etc.

Regrettably, it never got as big a following as capcoms other fighting games like Street Fighter, or Darkstalkers. Which I think is a shame because I would really like to have seen a reboot with modern day graphics. Maybe after they've solved their financial issues. . .

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 pm

Rival schools was pretty nifty, yeah. Seemed to be built on the same game engine as EX. I especially liked the ultra badass science teacher guy with completely pointless shoulder armor plates. :lol:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:06 pm

FMA and the broken angel (on ps2). One of my favorite action rpg's in existence

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Solatorobo - Nintendo DS

Set in a fantasy world made up of floating sky islands populated by anthropomorphic
dogs and cats, the game focuses on a canine freelance adventurer named Red Savarin
who pilots a flying mecha. On a seemingly ordinary task to obtain a lost pendant, he encounters
a mysterious young cat-person named Elh, and becomes involved in a series of events that
reveal the hidden truth of the origin of his world and the ones who live in it.

Really fun game. The only downside is that it's super short and pretty easy
Everyone should play it regardless
(One of my favorite games on the system)
The game is the spiritual successor to Tail Concerto on the PS1

- Suicidahlia

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”