Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue May 19, 2015 2:39 pm

Life is strange episode 3:
SPOILER: Show
oh man the gayness was strong in this one, hell yeah i kissed chloe, who wouldn't?

I'm calling it now with all these glaring hints rachel is an alternate version of max.

i know story purposes and all but i would have REALLY liked the option to NOT save william, seriously that was the dumbest move max has ever done, and now chole is paralysed neck down, GJ max, GJ.

Episode 4 will most likely be dealing with changing universe B back to universe A because otherwise all our choices in universe A will have been pointless but seriously max, dont fuck around with time travel.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue May 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Well. . . time to download the next episode I guess.

I didn't type about it earlier but Episode 2 of Life Is Strange hit me pretty hard . . .
SPOILER: Show
really those jerks at the school are monsters. They were recording it with their camera phones as it happened.

Poor Kate. . . she's like me at that point in my life. Bullied, alone, and the fact the developers made her a Christian? That really hits close to home, because it's too true. Which made what happened to her all the harder to take, I was in tears. I know you can replay the story to make it so she lives but I decided to just roll with it, an important lesson in Superhero origin stories is that you can't save everyone.

Seriously though, why don't Max, Chloe, and Warren just pack their things, use the time travel gimmick to convince their families and a few friends, and get out of dodge? That Tornado is gonna wipe the town off the map, there is no way to stop it, and it's not like Nathan's family is going to be gunning for her for getting their son suspended if he's annihilated in a Tornado.

But before they do that I guess, they'll have to fix the time travel induced crippling.

Also, I want Victoria and Nathan's heads on a silver platter for what they did to Kate! I know it sounds judgmental, but. . . Kate!

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

Postby ::KL7:: » Tue May 19, 2015 8:22 pm

A few months ago I went out and got Advanced Warfare and Destiny for the ps3. So far what I've played of destiny it seems enjoyable, just not the 10/10 game I was expecting. I really havent played to much to be honest it's hard enough to find time to play any game other than what I have downloaded on my phone. So maybe when I have more time, which hopefully by the end of this month I should, I'll be able to play it as much as I like. When I do have time though I prefer to play Advanced Warfare, its a lot easier to get started and just have fun playing the different online games like the Exo survival, Infected or Free for all.

This weekend I got 2 new games, Bayonetta and Ragnarock Odyssey Ace and also preordered MK X. I've heard good things about Bayonetta, And tried MK on ps4 and it was really good. So I'm excited to try them out.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon May 25, 2015 5:46 am

I've been playing the fuck out of Subnautica, a delightful early-access survival crafting game that (as you might expect from its name) takes place underwater. I'm becoming a connoisseur of the genre at this point, because I think of (and enjoy) the game in terms of what it does differently from all the ones I've played before it, especially what it does better (as opposed to just differently), like keeping the same raw materials that you collect at the beginning relevant many hours later -- you can never have too much copper.

Tonight I achieved a long-held goal of crafting myself a submarine. :headbang: By real-world standards it's a very small submarine, but by video game standards it's pretty big for something that exists in-world as a physics object (as opposed to being composed of static level geometry). There's not even anything particularly technically amazing about it, and yet I can't offhand remember ever seeing a AAA industry game do anything like it.

You get to name the submarine. I named mine "Nadia". I still get the warm fuzzies seeing its name in-game. (And while I considered "Nautilus" and "Wunder", I wanted the name to be both more original and more personal to me.)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon May 25, 2015 10:55 am

That game looks amazing. Definitely going on the wish list.

It reminded me of two other games, and I cannot for the life of me remember what their titles were: one was a lot like the film Gravity, in that you're an astronaut that survived an orbital disaster and now you have to try and scrounge the wreckage for a means to survive. The other was a very traditional stranded-on-a-desert island game, which was a pretty cool concept in that you had an extremely limited means of tools at your disposal for survival.

EDIT: Stranded Deep. That's the name of the island survival one.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Mon May 25, 2015 8:27 pm

Been playing Max Payne 3, now I don't know how this thing got so many rave reviews, Take 2 must have been handing out blowjobs left and right with this one, because this game is a veritable shit sandwich in many regards, primarily in how it shits on everything that the first two games gave us while taking the old style of the previous games out back and shooting it. First of all, is the setting, I can understand them trying to take it to a different place, but Brazil? I'm sweating profusely just playing the fucking game, I don't need the fucking setting to help me with that with its garish colours and poverty.
Now the big spit in the face is the gameplay, clunky as shit, you'll be dodging and ragdolling into the environment most of the time, while the ability to jump is noticeably vacant, as Rockstar successfully butchered the controls for this game, with features such as aiming and sprinting, the sprinting I might add, is totally fucking useless with probably a 10% increase in your already snail-like pace. The most unforgivable features in regards to gunplay is the mechanism that activates when you're about to die, the fucko who made this feature must have been a sadomasochist, essentially you get a chance to shoot the guy who is about to kill you, sounds okay, right? Wrong, this piece of shit only adds to your time wasted reloading, half of the time you've got no ammunition left in your magazine, the other half your opponent is behind cover, now I wouldn't be so miffed about this if it was for one thing: you can't revert back to checkpoint, specifically when you're in this mode, it's one of the most insidious things I've seen in gaming as of late. Which brings me to my next issue: You can't manually save. Yeah, yeah, that's standard operating procedure for todays wallet raping publishers and devs, but Max Payne is one of those games that greatly benefits from such a system, other big issues are the gratuitous cutscenes, essentially every second door you open triggers a new cutscene, where invariably, you lose one of your guns or you're switched to a gun with no goddamn ammunition in the mag. The other big issue was that they resorted to stuffing a QTE into one of the cinematics for the game, instead simplying having you shoot the guy you have to restle with the hairy bastard for his machete, simply because you lose your guns to two huehues a cutscene ago. I guess I'm old fashioned, QTEs like so just seem insulting on a few levels, especially when Max Payne hadn't had a new game in so long.

This was more of a rant than anything, I plan on finishing off the game later this week, just got to the last segment of the game.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Tue May 26, 2015 12:41 am

Been playing Hyrule Warriors. I'm on like chapter (or whatever I don't recall what they're called) 5 or so. It's really fun.

Wish I actually owned this game.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dima » Wed May 27, 2015 5:44 am

I recently bought and finished in one sit Monument Valley for Android (also on iOS).

What a charming little game. The music, the gameplay and the graphics (very colorful) were amazing. Game is a little too short but there is some DLC that you have to pay extra. Game is not difficult but it will make you put some thinking in order to pass the next stage.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed May 27, 2015 12:57 pm

Yeah, that was kind of a fun little game.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:20 pm

Downloaded and played the tutorial of SMITE. Gotta be honest, I liked it- the 3rd-person WASD control scheme was a lot more enjoyable than the point and click style of stuff like DOTA. Also the concept is pretty awesome and the character designs are cool.

(I also find it hilarious that people were complaining about Kali being too sexualized when historically she's usually been depicted bare-breasted and with nothing save a skirt made of hands to preserve her modesty. Same with Aphrodite, pretty much the entire female Egyptian pantheon etc...)
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:51 am

Finished Assassin's Creed Unity a couple days ago. Several dumb design choices didn't stop the game from being an enjoyable experience, even if it did feel like a noticeable downgrade for the series. 7/10.

I'm now playing Persona 4 Golden and loving it! I think part of the reason I find it so refreshing is how non-violent it is. There's plenty of fun stuff to do in this RPG without even using a weapon. I'm over 10 hours in and there's only been one dungeon so far, but I'm still having a blast! The character writing is top-notch as well, they feel like real people instead of NPCs.
[Redacted]

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:15 am

I rented Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker from the library, so I've been playing that.

I'm addicted to the game, and I thought I'd hate it. (I despised the Captain Toad levels in 3D World)
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:13 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:so refreshing is how non-violent it is

Well...about the storyline... -o-;

Enjoy it. I only played original P4 once, hope to replay it sometime.

Check out Persona 3 (Portable or FES versions) too!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:08 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Well...about the storyline... -o-;

LOL, I was referring to the gameplay. In most RPGs you're whacking some monster or hapless villager every 10 seconds. In Persona 4 you can easily go an hour or two without killing anything. :lol:

Check out Persona 3 (Portable or FES versions) too!

I've been eyeing P3P on the PS TV's Playstation Store. I'll have to buy it after I finish 4.
[Redacted]

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:04 pm

Jesus yes, Persona 3 Portable. One of the best emergent stories I ever had the pleasure of being part of and manipulating myself. Fondest memory of a game soundtrack as well.

Reinstalled Deus Ex for the 6th time. Finally beat the Statue of Liberty level without dozing off. It's okay.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:26 pm

Deus Ex, you say? I'm pretty hyped for Mankind Divided...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG1qKzIsisU

Personally, I prefer P3 to P4, but maybe it's because P4's been so drawn out with the various spin-off games that I've found it tiring in that sense. -o-;
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Shantae Half Genie Hero backer only demo
Only gone through the demo once so far but it is really fun, the sped up transformations really help the flow of the game and from what i can tell transformations are going to be a thing you select at the start of each level, also levels lets talk about that.

So shantae started out as a metroidvania sharing a lot of traits with simons quest, risky's revenge was much more linear but still very much a metroidvania, pirates curse was even more linear as the world wasn't interconnected any-more and now split into islands and HGH seems like its just going for straight up explorative platformer which im fine with, the metroidvania elements in the shantae series were always the weaker elements and as long as the gameplay stays this good, the level design is still great and the writing is as good as it was in pirates curse i will be very pleased with this game :)
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:40 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Reinstalled Deus Ex for the 6th time. Finally beat the Statue of Liberty level without dozing off. It's okay.

I saw that pop up on steam earlier, heh. Earned a respectful irl nod.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:55 am

Finished Alien Isolation on hard difficulty. There isn't much to say, it was a great, always on the edge of my seat experience, just the right length as well. The flamethrower did prove to be a little too use full though, even with the limited ammunition in the last part of the game.

Finally completed Valkyria Chronicles 100%(no dlc). I've had the game for ages but only now did I gain the courage to beat those insane hard skirmishes. Still the best game ever.

Also, I've been playing Valkyria Chronicles 3 and it's an enormous improvement over the second game, which makes even sadder that we still don't have a official translation. It's a really long game too, over 60 hours now and I haven't even finished the main story!
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:57 pm

Went back to Doom only to be bitterly reminded why I stopped playing it. There's this level with these infuriating goat-legged bastards that throw green fire that kills you in seconds, and for the life of me I cannot beat them.

Oh well, guess I won't be playing that anymore.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”