Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:58 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Which game is this?

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:16 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Thinking about moving on to Chrono Cross

I wouldn't recommend that.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:35 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I wouldn't recommend that.

Now why would you say that? I remember it being pretty good when I played through some of it back when it came out, and I've heard nothing but positive things. A bunch of people have told me that I should play Cross now that I've completed Trigger.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:42 pm

I say that because it's a decidedly inferior game with a tedious combat/magic system that almost entirely ditches the combo tech system and meaningful battlefield positioning, a huge cast of undeveloped nobodies that don't matter in the slightest, and a poorly structured narrative that takes a big off-camera shit on everything you accomplished in Trigger:

SPOILER: Show
everyone's dead, guardia kingdom has fallen, the masamune became corrupted and lavos wasn't actually finished off for good.

Aesthetically it's pretty good, though it doesn't have the same charm as Toriyama's work and the battle theme song is an exceptionally grating tune, to the point where it quickly begins to feel like you're being punished for getting into a fight... and since the game doesn't give out XP for random battles you generally don't want to do so if you can help it.

Then again you liked FF8 and I thought it was shit, so you might well like Cross. I might have been fine with just calling it an ambitious failure if it was a stand-alone game, but because of the tie-in this killed any hope for a proper sequel to Trigger.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:57 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:

Got FF:T WOTL on iOS to commemorate my future iOS slave race life

I'm so jealous of you.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Finished Resistance: Fall of Man on hard because of nostalgia. My memory did not fail me, it´s a good game and it is hard as hell.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Singularity84
Embryo

Postby Singularity84 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Replaying the original Half-Life considering one of my friends just bought it and Half-Life 2.
Also trying to actually beat Majora's Mask. I've never done a complete play-through before. Named Link: Dipshit, hilarity ensues.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:55 pm

View Original PostSingularity84 wrote:Half-Life.

If you enjoyed the original Half-Life, you should try Black Mesa. It's basically a Half-Life 2 mod that faithfully recreates the original Half-Life, except with much better graphics (quite a few steps above Half-Life 2's graphics), the inclusion of the Source Engine and with some alterations to level design. The arsenal, enemies, events and gameplay are mostly unchanged (crouch-jump is still required, for example). Almost all of the original Half-Life levels have been recreated in the mod, although the developers are still working on recreating the Xen levels. Overall I found it very enjoyable to play, and you should definitely try it out if you want to try playing Half-Life with Half-Life 2 era graphics. Also, it's completely free.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

nervshatter
Banned

Postby nervshatter » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:01 am

GTA 5 is pretty damn good. Trevor is by far the best character and pretty insane for a Canadian.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:47 am

I bought a new Gameboy.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:09 am

What kind?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Singularity84
Embryo

Postby Singularity84 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:12 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:If you enjoyed the original Half-Life, you should try Black Mesa.

I have, it was quite good. The only thing putting me off is the marines being too accurate on the Hard difficulty. I actually rage quit at the end of Questionable Ethics.
I think I'll try that part again now, wish me luck!

Fazmotron

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:11 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:What kind?

3DS XL

I got Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance, Rayman Origins (came with the gameboy) and Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!!.

Bought it for the new Pokemans that comes out next month.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:01 am

View Original PostSingularity84 wrote:I have, it was quite good. The only thing putting me off is the marines being too accurate on the Hard difficulty. I actually rage quit at the end of Questionable Ethics.
I think I'll try that part again now, wish me luck!

Good luck!

Now that you mention it, that part of the game really bugged me as well. There's probably a pro way to complete it that involves minimal damage and minimal ammo loss, but I managed to bull through it at the cost of most of my crossbow ammo, 75% of my health and I think I emptied my MP5 and Magnum as well. It's not an ideal solution if you want to conserve health and ammo (which you will need the very instant you leave the building), but alternate between the Crossbow/Magnum and the MP5 and don't be afraid to toss a grenade or two out there if you have to. The soldiers all carry MP5 or SPAS-12 ammo so use it without discretion. There is some ammo hidden behind a few crates if you need some. If you're really desperate, you could try unleashing the Tau Cannon, but I don't think you should waste the Tau's ammo this early on. It helps if you didn't completely use up the charger in the corner of the room, as well.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Played 20+ GTA V and 40+ will be broken within 4 days. Jeiiiii. :33

Those who have played the game over 10+ hours, what did you think of THAT part:
The part where you have to torture some dude as Trevor. I heard there was some controversy about this.

Personally, i didn't find it that bad.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby SimplyMason0 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:18 am

^
I didn't find it so bad. MGSV is going to be far more brutal as its played for drama. However I feel the writers wanted you to both love and hate Trevor giving him redeeming qualities while showing the bad side to him. Like Johnny

I am almost finished with GTAV. I seem to be in the last arc. After that I'm going to use some cheat codes and play it again being crazier. I'm also having a open world crime buzz so I might miss on Pokemon XY. I wasn't that hyped for it anyways.

I think I might play:
Red Dead Redemption(and beat it this time)
Deus Ex Human Revolution
Far Cry 3
Maybe a Yakuza game. Is the series able to play out of order or do I have to start with 1? Not really sure what tone it has for its story.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:57 pm

SteamOS announced.

All hail Steam.
Steam is love.
Steam is family.
My life for Steam.
My death for Steam.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:00 pm

:gasp:

An OS completely dedicated to gaming?! For free?! For PCs?!

A new PC master race is born... :pray:

(I don't actually know enough about operating systems to know how big of an impact it will be, but one thing I've always appreciated about consoles is the sheer consistency of their performance whereas I have never owned a PC that didn't hiccup unpredictably on occasion and I have always imagined that it's because of the unpredictability of what the OS is doing in the background so I imagine that an OS that's dedicated to gaming would eliminate that problem and produce a PC that runs more like a console.)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:46 pm

The big thing is that the OS isn't designed to be your main PC OS, and anyone who expects it to be is going to (likely) be disappointed. This is designed to be the OS on your hypothetical "Living Room PC," aka what you would replace or supplement a console with. Essentially it's what the Steambox would have in place of the OS that Xbox's and Playstations have (people don't really think about it but all consoles have an OS, they have to to run).

Honestly, though, as excited as I am about that, I'm just as, if not more, excited about the fact that movies, music, and TV are coming to Steam. Just think about old media on Steam sales. Jesus Christ, I might actually buy movies and music again!

Even more importantly, we're one step closer to this!

You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Finally completed The Walking Dead. On top of being one of the by far best written games I've ever played, the haunting soundtrack and merciless quick time events turn it into an unforgettable gaming experience. If I ever were to compose a top list of video games, I would include this one for sure.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”