Fire Emblem Franchise

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Fire Emblem Franchise

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:22 am

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. 200,000 units?

Wat?

All this fucking drama over 200,000 units?

That's, like . . . not even a fraction of the gaming community. That's nothing, and yet you've turned it into some hill to die upon. This is asinine. Buy the butchered import if you want, buy the subbed Asian release if you don't. But whining so much about something so small . . . Jesus Christ, it's just pathetic. And you don't even know what's actually going on, because you're relying on freakin' Kotaku. What a fucking joke.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:19 pm

that's just a guesstimate based on the sales for Awakening in the US. Counting Europe and other english speaking territories the number grows exponentially, who knows how many people are were anticipating fates?

Give censors an inch, they'll take everything.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:59 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:that's just a guesstimate based on the sales for Awakening in the US. Counting Europe and other english speaking territories the number grows exponentially, who knows how many people are were anticipating fates?

Give censors an inch, they'll take everything.

Oh, please. You lose a fucking petting minigame and you lose your fucking mind. It's insane. You know what I wanna do? I wanna strap you to a chair and force you to watch Battle of the Planets, Voltron, and Robotech, and then compare them to their original releases. Then you might have a goddamn clue as to what censorship really means. Because this Fire Emblem nonsense? This ain't it. Just buy your subbed release and shut up already.

I mean, Christ, have you been paying attention to games at all in the past few decades? Have you not noticed how much titles like Soul Calibur and even Final Fantasy have changed, and not in ways your so-called SJWs would enjoy? Have you not noticed how ridiculous they've become? Wake up, man! The narrative you're preaching is completely at odds with observed reality.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:13 pm

Take to to the censorship thread Bags.

Regardless, I'm not buying anymore Nintendo products until they learn to expect better of their customers.

Mundane matt chipped in with his two cents.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwywGzRcSvk

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:26 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Take to to the censorship thread Bags.

...but...you're also complaining about censorship.....
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:41 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Take to to the censorship thread Bags.

Yeah, no. I'm talking to you, because even the people you quote seem to realize that this whole thread is utterly fucking pathetic. How can you expect Nintendo to expect anything of their customers when this is the precedent you set? "Oh nos, we don't have petting in the localized release, and we're whining about it even though we can get a subbed Asian release, oh woe is us!" Who on Earth would take that level of whining seriously? You might as well asK them to treat a five-year-old's rants as gospel.

Seriously, I don't even know why NoA is even releasing this game if they're that hung up about it. Just go the DoAE3 route and say "fuck it, let 'em grab the subbed version" and be done with it. This whole argument/debate is just stupid.
Last edited by Bagheera on Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:12 pm

No need for name calling, Asuka.

Not just the petting minigame. If they removed something as tame as the petting minigame then they're probably removing the bathhouse bonding too, plus the erasure of a Bisexual character due to a horrible misunderstanding, all on top of splitting the game into three seperate versions just to fudge profits?

There's a reason nintendo is 3rd place in console and product sales. People are only really buying their products for nostalgia value these days, most of their new products are for children. Occasionally youll get something like Bayonetta that isn't censored to death. But Nintendo fails to take that last step afraid of tarnishing their brands "kid friendly" image.

The more effort a customer has to go through to get a product, the more money we have to spend to get the product, the less likely we are even bother with it.

consumers would gladly import the Asian release. If Nintendo would join the 21st century and region unlock their consoles. But now I have to buy three versions of the game, and a new DS? Just to play a game I would've paid full price to buy at launch if they hadn't censored it in my country?

I don't know if the controversy will affect sales, but my money won't be part of the first 8 weeks that matter. If ever.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:49 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:There's a reason nintendo is 3rd place in console and product sales. People are only really buying their products for nostalgia value these days, most of their new products are for children. Occasionally youll get something like Bayonetta that isn't censored to death. But Nintendo fails to take that last step afraid of tarnishing their brands "kid friendly" image.

...wat?

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Nintendo aims at a different segment of gamers than Sony and Microsoft, namely casual gamers instead of a hardcore mostly male demographic.

edited for typo.
Last edited by Shamsiel-kun on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:22 pm

^

They do.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:01 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote: Seriously, I don't even know why NoA is even releasing this game if they're that hung up about it. Just go the DoAE3 route and say "fuck it, let 'em grab the subbed version" and be done with it. This whole argument/debate is just stupid.

I'm not going to take sides here but i don't want any misinformation to be spread there is no official English subbed version of FE fates yes there is a English patch for the Japanese version but you have to do stuff to your 3DS for that and another barrier for importing the Japanese version of the game is a north american 3DS will not play a Japanese 3DS game but you can hack your 3DS to play Japanese games but I have no idea how one would do that, so besides going through and hacking your 3DS you'd have to learn Japanese to play the game or say fuck it like I did and play the game despite not knowing how to read Japanese.

as for the content being cut I really don't care if skinship is gone so long as they don't get rid of the live2D assets because cutting those from the game would be a bit much, just change the mini game to a dialogue based one and i could care less.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:22 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:I'm not going to take sides here but i don't want any misinformation to be spread there is no official English subbed version of FE fates yes there is a English patch for the Japanese version but you have to do stuff to your 3DS for that and another barrier for importing the Japanese version of the game is a north american 3DS will not play a Japanese 3DS game but you can hack your 3DS to play Japanese games but I have no idea how one would do that, so besides going through and hacking your 3DS you'd have to learn Japanese to play the game or say fuck it like I did and play the game despite not knowing how to read Japanese.

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

as for the content being cut I really don't care if skinship is gone so long as they don't get rid of the live2D assets because cutting those from the game would be a bit much, just change the mini game to a dialogue based one and i could care less.

Yeah. Games change when they're localized, it's a fact of life. As long as the designers aim to deliver a quality product to their customers I figure it's all good. That said, the whole three different versions thing . . . not really okay with that. Localization is one thing, but having to buy multiple versions to get all of a game's content is lame.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:46 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:I'another barrier for importing the Japanese version of the game is a north american 3DS will not play a Japanese 3DS game but you can hack your 3DS to play Japanese games but I have no idea how one would do that, so besides going through and hacking your 3DS you'd have to learn Japanese to play the game or say fuck it like I did and play the game despite not knowing how to read Japanese.
Learning Japanese and buying Japanese Nintendo hardware and games is actually my plan if the NX is still region-locked when it releases. Once I learn the language I won't even have to worry about what NoA is doing anymore. The localization changes aren't even the biggest factor in my decision, the way NoA is distributing games is just getting really freakin' weird. The Wii U Fatal Frame game (Maiden of Black Water) got physical releases in both Japan and Europe, but in the western versions they replaced a couple of bikini costumes with Zelda and Zero Suit Samus costumes, which wasn't that big of a deal for me, because the replacement costumes are admittedly pretty cool. But here's what got me. Instead of doing even a limited physical release in the US or a standard digital release, the only way you can get the game is to download the "free-to-start" US version. Basically you can download a good chunk of the game for free, but if you want to finish the game that part is locked behind a paywall.

Oh, and splitting FE Fates into 3 versions didn't only happen in the west, it was the same way in Japan too. There was a limited edition in each region that packaged all 3 versions together for $80, but they've been out of print for a while now. But here's the thing: In the special edition, all 3 versions are on a single game card. So in other words they could have put all of this on a single cart from the beginning, but they split it into multiple games because they could. I would have understood it if the other parts weren't finished at launch and you had to download them later like paid expansions, but they had the whole thing ready from the get-go. I really think the whole "multiple versions" release method needs to die unless the versions are on different consoles or something. It was neat back in high school with Pokemon when you could actually count on having multiple people with different versions of the game to trade with, but these days it's starting to piss me off because I run Pokemon games exclusively on emulators now and I have no known way of doing trade evolutions or completing the pokedex without some sort of cheat codes. Fire Emblem developers and Pokemon developers, please just make one version of your games. And Pokemon developers, while you're at it, how about giving us more than one save slot? It isn't 1995 anymore. Internal storage is a thing now, and it's measured in gigabytes.
[Redacted]

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:15 am

post/825058/Fire-Emblem-Franchise/#825058
post/825065/Fire-Emblem-Franchise/#825065
post/825073/Fire-Emblem-Franchise/#825073

These posts are perfect examples of how to not treat others, and a warning has been issued. Please respect your fellow forum goers, and do your part to create a friendly environment for all. Thank you everybody.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:26 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Oh, and splitting FE Fates into 3 versions didn't only happen in the west, it was the same way in Japan too. There was a limited edition in each region that packaged all 3 versions together for $80, but they've been out of print for a while now. But here's the thing: In the special edition, all 3 versions are on a single game card. So in other words they could have put all of this on a single cart from the beginning, but they split it into multiple games because they could. I would have understood it if the other parts weren't finished at launch and you had to download them later like paid expansions, but they had the whole thing ready from the get-go. I really think the whole "multiple versions" release method needs to die unless the versions are on different consoles or something. It was neat back in high school with Pokemon when you could actually count on having multiple people with different versions of the game to trade with, but these days it's starting to piss me off because I run Pokemon games exclusively on emulators now and I have no known way of doing trade evolutions or completing the pokedex without some sort of cheat codes. Fire Emblem developers and Pokemon developers, please just make one version of your games. And Pokemon developers, while you're at it, how about giving us more than one save slot? It isn't 1995 anymore. Internal storage is a thing now, and it's measured in gigabytes.

Frankly, I don't understand this complaint. Making limited editions of games with additional contents has existed for a very long time, since at least the mid-1990s (in Japan especially). Special editions are marketed towards the diehard collector, who gets more contents, bonus discs, or bonus merchandise, usually in a "Deluxe" type of packaging, for a bit more money than the regular version. In exchange for this, special editions are harder to get, by making them only available by mail order or via web-order, selling them for a limited time only, or limiting the number of copies. This allows the maker to sell more copies and make more money, especially since some people will keep the special edition all minty and buy the regular version to play. This is a fair business decision and also a type of fan service.

Things that are not fair decisions, IMHO, are the following:
- Making a limited edition, then making reprints of the limited edition with no changes and selling them for less. Congrats, "Insert manufacturer here", you just screwed over your hardcore fans.
- Making a limited edition that is a glorified beta, then selling the final version as the regular release.
- Artificially limiting the supply of the regular version and/or jacking up the regular version's price for no good reason.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:12 am

But doesn't the advent of DLC obviate the need for different versions of a game? But then again I have no idea how that works for platforms like the DS and such.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:08 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:Frankly, I don't understand this complaint. Making limited editions of games with additional contents has existed for a very long time, since at least the mid-1990s (in Japan especially). Special editions are marketed towards the diehard collector, who gets more contents, bonus discs, or bonus merchandise, usually in a "Deluxe" type of packaging, for a bit more money than the regular version. In exchange for this, special editions are harder to get, by making them only available by mail order or via web-order, selling them for a limited time only, or limiting the number of copies. This allows the maker to sell more copies and make more money, especially since some people will keep the special edition all minty and buy the regular version to play. This is a fair business decision and also a type of fan service.
That's actually not what I was talking about. I have no problem whatsoever with limited editions or game-of-the-year editions. I'm talking about multiple versions, such as what the Pokemon Company does with their mainline games. They release 2 versions of the same game side by side, and it is impossible to 100% complete one version without owning the other or knowing someone who does and is willing to cooperate. And even if you do own the other version you'll still need a second handheld game system to put the other version in so you can trade between them. So basically instead of paying $40 for a game you can complete without any outside assistance, you're stuffing Nintendo's pockets with $280 because you can't 100% the game by yourself without a second handheld and a second copy of the game. I realize you can trade and battle pokemon with others over wifi now, but still you shouldn't need to rely on other players to help you 100% a single-player RPG.

Now when they take a game they've already released and make an improved version of it with new features and additional content later on, such as Pokemon Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, or Black/White 2, I'm fine with that. What I'd like to see them do is release a single version to begin with that has all the pokemon in it, then maybe a year or 2 later release the improved version with added features and content requested by fans who played the original. I think that would be ideal.
[Redacted]

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:31 pm

Anyways the Final Nail put in the coffin by IGN, along with any desire I had left to get this game.

http://www.gameskinny.com/d28wp/follow- ... med-by-ign

It's not all bad for those who still want to buy the game though. IGN also said that the skinship minigame will be replaced by another one. Using the resources of the minigame (the audio, the CGI models of the characters) for something 'dialogue' oriented. If its something just as good or better, I might reconsider, but I sure won't be buying it at launch.

I hope Nintendo reconsiders and re-releases the minigame as DLC or something. But I doubt they will.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:58 pm

polygon recently streamed the game the live 2D models are confirmed to still be in the game.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:59 pm

So In both the fan translated and localized versions of fates it seems to have something that kind of annoys me......a lot.
here we have the Kamui and Shara (lesbian option) support
Seems alright yeah? until you read the gay option support and almost every other support in the game, in those the words MARRY is mentioned several times explicitly, in the lesbian one? Yeah they say love a few times but after the whole Soleil thing and because Japan has this thing where when girls say love it doesn't actually mean as much for some reason......this feels like a very shallow attempt at hide your lesbians.
And I am NOT ok with that.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1r5CKzI2Lo

Check this out. There's something in it, I think you'll find interesting about lesbians in Japanese culture.

Skip to about 4:00-5:30.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”