Fire Emblem Franchise

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:53 pm

FE if is going to be coming out on February 16th and we're getting the collectors edition too
http://www.siliconera.com/2015/11/12/nintendo-tells-how-you-can-buy-fire-emblem-fates-in/
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Fire Emblem Franchise

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:26 pm

Given all the hullabaloo over removing sexual content from Games, is Fire Emblem Fates going to be the next on the chopping block?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YFFoqzBFhA0

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:30 pm

As someone who has played the Japanese version: so much has already been cut and you dont even realize.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:37 pm

That was just dialogue right? The whole "drugging/ curing the gay character" thing?

Is Nintendo USA going to take away the Waifu/Husbando petting simulator, cover Camilla's revealing outfit, and remove the Bathhouse?

The game is rated T! Nintendo In the name of Gabe Newell! Let my fanservice go!

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:45 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:That was just dialogue right?

Yes, its also the only thing I'm glad will be getting changed, also they seem to be keeping a certain characters bro/siscon tendencies if the smash trailer is anything to go by but I highly doubt that they will keep the romantic options there.
As for the fanservice, come to the EU where the only thing we censored in awakening was one single about tharja's boobs (since the US is the US i only foresee more camilla censorship).
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:07 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:As for the fanservice, come to the EU where the only thing we censored in awakening was one single about tharja's boobs

What was that thing?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:12 pm

this line:
The NA version is the accurate one because nowi says almost the exact same thing in the JP version.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:39 pm

Whoa! I would not have expected a line like that -- and yet it's in the NA version but not the EU? :lol:

Must be the only such direct anatomical mention in the game, unless my memory is really that short or I somehow haven't seen the others.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:29 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:
Is Nintendo USA going to take away the Waifu/Husbando petting simulator, cover Camilla's revealing outfit, and remove the Bathhouse?

Petting Owain's/EdgyGayOption's face was pretty much the only redeeming quality I could think of in the game...
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:42 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Petting Owain's/EdgyGayOption's face was pretty much the only redeeming quality I could think of in the game...

Well the english version will be even worse because it doesn't have Dio- I mean Takehito Koyasu as Zero.
Real talk though this was the worst fire emblem game i have played in a very long time.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:27 am

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016- ... ern-launch

well glad that whole drugging thing is gone although I imagine quite a few people are going to be mad that they're making Soleil not interested in girls
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:43 pm

Fates tackling of Same Sex couples isnt exactly great either way, both gay options are not what you would call ideal.
Also if they do change it so she isnt interested in girls any-more this is not making the issue any better, I would argue its just making it worse, they could just make soleil a gay option, someone on gbatemps managed to make the entire cast of awakening bi with a simple mod so it shouldnt be that hard.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:29 pm

I hate to say I told you so . . . But I told you so.

Nintendo Confirms Fire Emblem Fates to be censored for US release.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2016/0 ... n-release/

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news ... rn-regions

http://nintendoeverything.com/controver ... -the-west/

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:43 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:I hate to say I told you so . . . But I told you so.

Nintendo Confirms Fire Emblem Fates to be censored for US release.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2016/0 ... n-release/

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news ... rn-regions

http://nintendoeverything.com/controver ... -the-west/

I'm trying to see why this is a bad thing and I'm coming up empty. Because fuck gay conversion, and fuck drugging people so you can romance them later on, and fuck anyone who thinks that's okay.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:47 pm

Of course, censorship is only good when something YOU disagree with is censored.

If that's the case, can we get Berserk Volume 13 removed from store shelves? Of course not.

Even if it is disgusting thematically, it should be allowed to succeed, or fail solely on economic terms. If it's an otherwise good game, one controversial line isn't going to keep people from buying it.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:51 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Of course, censorship is only good when something YOU disagree with is censored.

Nice try, but no. It's good when it removes shit that spreads misinformation, and things that advocate hurting people. This is not exactly rocket science.

Even if it is disgusting thematically, it should be allowed to succeed, or fail solely on economic terms.

Why?
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:03 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Of course, censorship is only good when something YOU disagree with is censored.

If that's the case, can we get Berserk Volume 13 removed from store shelves? Of course not.

The main difference is that Berserk volume 13 is shown as being a BAD THING in case you forgot, Fates treats the entire situation like "oh whacky hijincks!"
Without saying buzzwords like "offensive" and "problematic" fates doesn't have the best writing in the world anyway but when the two gay options in the game are both kinda bad relationships if take realistically and all the other bi characters in the game are not even considered, adding this crap onto it just really reeks of some subconscious homophobia or at the very least not understanding gay or bi people at all.
Basically its bad writing and they are TRYING (will probably fail because if they make soleil have 0 attraction to girls that makes the implication worse) to improve it so im in full support of that.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:51 pm

The main difference is that Berserk volume 13 is shown as being a BAD THING in case you forgot, Fates treats the entire situation like "oh whacky hijinks!"

Because a few lines of poorly written dialogue that comes off as slightly homophobic, is just as bad as a 20+ page rape scene that fridges one of the only decent characters left in the whole story. No, the comparison is not valid, but that doesn't mean either of them deserve or NEED to be censored.

I really wish video game publishers would just avoid the controversies altogether by doing what Brutal Legend or Dead Or Alive did. Make it an option to turn off the explicit content if you don't like it. That way, people uncomfortable with the themes can turn it off, and people who want to enjoy some questionable themes can without having to import an english patched version.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:14 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Because a few lines of poorly written dialogue that comes off as slightly homophobic, is just as bad as a 20+ page rape scene that fridges one of the only decent characters left in the whole story. No, the comparison is not valid, but that doesn't mean either of them deserve or NEED to be censored.

If the comparison is not valid, why are you bringing it up?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:20 pm

One is tame, one is extreme. NEITHER OF THEM should be censored by their creators to avoid controversy.

It it was like the Street Fighter thing where it's (apparently) done to avoid an M rating, I could understand. But would one line of awkward dialogue really push it into M rating territory, would it make people so angry they'd refuse to buy the game because of it?

I'm just weary of censorship, self-censorship by companies or otherwise. Have Japanese companies really become THIS afraid of offending the American Audience?

Edit:

To stoke the flames of controversy further. Breitbart threw their two cents in

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/01/2 ... n-release/
Nate Church wrote:
The intent is openly conveyed; the protagonist wants to help Soleil overcome her psychological complex during the times they are together. Mechanically speaking, this is accomplished by continuing to build your relationship score by taking her along into battle. And while dosing her drink could certainly come across as creepy, in context it’s very clear that conversion is not the intent. In fact, the entire motivation is to help Soleil function around the women to whom she is attracted, not to stop her from being attracted to them.

As the relationship progresses, Soleil is a willing participant. As a friend of your character, she confides ongoing discouragement with the “training” being ineffective. She still feels useless and light-headed in the presence of women. She leans on her friendship with the player character for support, because, as she says, “Whether or not you’re using the magic powder, it’s fun being with you.

If you pursue the relationship to its conclusion, Soleil reveals that your efforts have caused her to fall in love with you despite your gender. No, she hasn’t been tricked straight. She’s still very much attracted to women. But like many people in the gay community already assert, her sexuality isn’t simple and binary, it’s a bit more fluid. Perhaps people outraged over Soleil’s decision shouldn’t claim to know her sexuality better than she does.
Oh, wait…

There’s one thing I’ve neglected to mention thus far. The protagonist of Fire Emblem: Fates can be male or female. So what critics are really arguing about is a plotline that is extraordinarily inclusive.

But for the love of a waifu, let’s not miss a chance to be outraged!

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”