Fallout

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Fallout

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:15 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:In a game where radiation causes beneficial mutations, big green hulks called Super Mutants walk around, and everyone can take multiple bullets without even slowing down and still speaks the same English as before the war even though as much time has passed since it as between America's founding and the present day, the part of the game that bothers you for its unrealism is... .50-caliber pipe rifles?
No, the unrealistic thing that bothers me the most is how Bethesda insists on making all their Fallout games look like the nuclear war happened 2 weeks ago instead of 200+ years ago. It made sense for the first Fallout game to look barren and desolate because it took place only 84 years after the nuclear war. FO4 takes place 210 years after the war, so show some damn human progress, Bethesda. What bothers me about the .50-caliber pipe guns and hunting rifles is that there's absolutely no visible sign that the gun has been rechambered. If they had changed the receivers and barrels to be much larger and heavily reinforced I wouldn't have had any problem with them.
[Redacted]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:21 pm

I die a little inside every time I realize that I'm carrying a ported rifle with a silencer attached to it.

The ported barrel was on the gun when I got it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:06 pm

:headscratch: What's wrong with a ported barrel?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:56 pm

A suppressor works by trapping and slowing down the gas escaping from the end of the barrel. The report of a firearm comes from two sources: Hot gasses escaping the gun and the bullet breaking the sound barrier, which is why silenced/suppressed weapons commonly use subsonic ammunition.

A ported barrel would defeat the purpose of the silencer. The back pressure of the baffles would force the gas out though the porting holes. Also, ported guns are generally louder because they spread the gas in more directions and generalize the direction of the sound.

This is the same reason why revolvers can't be silenced (as they can be in game, I think?) as the gasses will escape in from the gap between the cylinder and the forcing cone.

This is not true of a specific type of Russian revolver with a cylinder that pivots forward to seal against the end of the forcing cone when the gun is cocked, but virtually no other revolver does that. Rather than a better seal they rely on a big thumping cartridge and absorbing the recoil through sheer mass. That's why revolvers tend to be more powerful than semi-auto guns, they don't have to put the stress of the discharging cartridge on any moving parts like a slide or barrel linkage.

In short, a silencer wouldn't fix what makes a ported barrel louder.

Also suppressing a .50 cal would be impossible, as the bullets go way too fast to be quiet and the suppressor would have to be absolutely enormous. It's not impossible per se, just highly impractical. To give you an idea, check out this suppressed artillery piece:

Edit: Also, I don't use a .45 pipe revolver rifle in the game because I can't stand watching it in VATS. Revolver rifles were a thing in the past but they fell out of favor because you can't have a hand forward of the cylinder. If you held a revolver of any type the way your character does in third person when playing the game (handgun type revolvers are held correctly) you'd blow your fingers off.

Edit 2: Also it's a big of a misnomer to call them silencers. Even if you completely silence the report, the cycling of the action of any gun is pretty loud.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:05 pm

I appreciate the simple elegance with which FO4 implemented radiation sickness. Whenever another red pixel creeps onto my health bar, I'm struck with a sense of dread. The good kind of dread, that you want to feel in a post-apocalyptic game.

Back in FO3 radiation sickness was meaningless. Oh no, my endurance dropped by a level, guess I better fast-travel back to my apartment and heal it for free. Eh, nevermind it can wait.
Set phasers to thrill.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:14 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Also suppressing a .50 cal would be impossible, as the bullets go way too fast to be quiet and the suppressor would have to be absolutely enormous. It's not impossible per se, just highly impractical
Actually, they already exist.
http://www.barrett.net/firearms/qdlsuppressor
This one only reduces the sound by 23 decibels though.

*Edit* Here's another that gives a 32-decibel reduction.
http://www.advanced-armament.com/CYCLOPS_p_417.html
Last edited by IronEvangelion on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Redacted]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:19 am

I need to find a video of that firing. I find it hard to believe it actually does anything.
the prophecy is true

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:43 am

Unable to reconcile the tonal disparity between my character and his cripplingly yucky backstory, I've chosen to start over anew.

Her name is Roxanne, with dirty blonde hair and birthmarks that mar an otherwise attractive face. She has high charisma and intellegence, but everything else except perception is laughably low.

I picture her as the exceptionally clever socialite, made soft by 34 years worth of life in the upper middle class. She has the know-how to get by, but her lackluster physical situation puts her at an early disadvantage.

Things have been quite amazing so far, now that I'm able to get into a good roleplay mindset. Only one death so far... Goddamn rocket launchers.

SPOILER: Show
Edit : I've happened upon a Brotherhood gentleman named Danse and am currently helping him sweep a location. A strictly structured establishment based on honor and merit like the brotherhood appeals to my sensibilities... but their hatred of Synths does not. Artificial sentience deserves to live too, right?
Set phasers to thrill.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:13 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:One thing I'd really like to see in a future instalment is abandoning the player-character main quest entirely. They almost did it in Skyrim. You can legit play for hours and hours and hours and never go anywhere near the dragons, you can even make it so they never show up in game and you never learn to shout.[/spoiler]

I mostly agree cept for this part, sure the main questline in fallout's 3 and 4 isn't spectacular by any means but i greatly enjoyed the battle of hoover dam in new vegas and everything involving the master in fallout 1, plus the enclave in fallout 2 were fun to tangle with.
View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:No, the unrealistic thing that bothers me the most is how Bethesda insists on making all their Fallout games look like the nuclear war happened 2 weeks ago instead of 200+ years ago. It made sense for the first Fallout game to look barren and desolate because it took place only 84 years after the nuclear war. FO4 takes place 210 years after the war, so show some damn human progress, Bethesda.

Another reason why new vegas is better......
Seriously It actually feels like in a few years there will be something resembling proper civilization back if the NCR win at the end of that game and its great.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:28 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I hope to God that Obsidian gets to make Fallout: New Orleans.

I just want them to keep away from the filthy unwashed East tbfh fam. Some game involving maybe getting stuck in with remnants of the Enclave would be nice.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:07 pm

Fallout: Hawaii.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:17 pm

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:02 pm

If they make a Fallout: Hawaii they must have bipedal, semi-intelligent shark mutants.
the prophecy is true

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:31 pm

I like both the Fallout: New Orleans and Fallout Hawai'i concepts. But if Fallout: New Orleans ever gets made, it must be named Fallout: N'awlins and the city must be referred to as N'awlins by the illiterate people of the wasteland (just like how Pittsburgh became The Pitt and Tucson became Two-Sun). And there must be a faction of human-sized intelligent crawfish with their own civilization.

Here's some of my concepts for Fallout games:

Fallout: Miami (Themed around gambling and organized crime)
Fallout: Orlando (Themed around the hedonism of the past versus the current state of the world. Lots of derelict theme parks to explore.)
Fallout: Chicago (Themed around heavily organized crime, all factions are gangster factions competing for control over resources and trade routes. Even the local Enclave have devolved into a mob.)
Fallout: Detroit (Heavy industry and pollution theme. Most of the game's civilization exists outside the city itself since Detroit's decaying factories leaking nuclear and industrial waste have turned it into a toxic hellhole. The entire city is covered by a red cloud identical to the one that hangs over the Sierra Madre, and there is lots of radiation as well. Venturing inside without protective gear is suicide. Basically The Pitt on steroids. The only factions able to survive inside the city are the feral ghouls, the ghost people (a la Dead Money), and an unlucky Enclave expedition that is struggling to survive. The human society outside the city has a Mad Max-style car-centric culture, and they have restored pre-war automobiles to full working order (meaning driveable vehicles and car battles). The player has to choose to side with the Motorists or Enclave if they want to clean up the city and make it livable, or side with the Ghost People or Feral Ghouls if they want to spread the pollution beyond the city and usher in a new dark age.)
[Redacted]

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:36 pm

I figured they'd call it Fallout: New Orleans and the city would be called Nawlins.

Most likely there would be multiple locations and factions tied to them, i.e. Nawlin's, the Quarter, etc. etc.

Fallout Detroit sounds fucking amazing but I doubt they'd give Obsidian the time or resources to produce a game with an entire new mechanic like drive-able cars. Bethesda would tackle that and it would suck. :(

It would be awesome to see though, especially with the car worshiping culture. I picture them like the Warboys in Fury Road.
Last edited by Chuckman on Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:40 pm

If the nuclear apocalypse happened in New Orleans. Over half the city would be underwater.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:57 pm

Floating cities, dude.

Also it might be a little crass (and a little repetitive since we have a stadium city in Fo4) but an aristocratic Superdome city. Maybe an Envclave remnant.

Edit: You know what would be totally awesome? Cosmetic capes and robes you could wear over the power armor. Make it a mod to the armor itself.
the prophecy is true

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:27 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Edit: You know what would be totally awesome? Cosmetic capes and robes you could wear over the power armor. Make it a mod to the armor itself.

:lol: Short of making it look like 40K... Oh yeah, the Beth devs do 40K on their spare time.

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:05 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:No, the unrealistic thing that bothers me the most is how Bethesda insists on making all their Fallout games look like the nuclear war happened 2 weeks ago instead of 200+ years ago. It made sense for the first Fallout game to look barren and desolate because it took place only 84 years after the nuclear war. FO4 takes place 210 years after the war, so show some damn human progress,[

Actually, its sort of justified.

SPOILER: Show
The Commonwealth would have had a NCR like government years ago, in the form of the Commonwealth of Allied Settlements. Unfortunately for them, the Institute crushed them before anything could ever become of it, and everything promptly went down the tube. So, they have tried, its just that there are other powers at work hellbent on keeping the Wasteland...the Wasteland.

Honestly though, the Commonwealth isn't really that bad. Back in the Capital Wasteland, Super Mutants seemed to have the run of the place and swept nearly everything aside until the Brotherhood got there. Honestly Fallout 4 reminds me less of Fallout, and more of Wasteland itself, which is kinda surreal.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:08 am

I regret not getting the PC version now. A simple mod that changes all instances of the word "Synth" to "Cylon" would have made this game of the year.
Set phasers to thrill.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”