What are you currently playing? [2]

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:30 am

Ah, good, somebody else posted. Now I can make this its own separate post instead of an addendum to my completely unrelated previous one:

Tonight's "beat" was Skyward Sword, finally, concluding a journey that began before last Christmas.

I have a whole lot to say about this game. More than I can think of at the moment so here are the things that stick out, narrowed primarily to tonight's experience:

What surprises me most about the ending, and for that matter the story about the entire game, was how
Entire story of Skyward Sword  SPOILER: Show

it "explained" absolutely nothing -- the entire story was the narrative equivalent of "God(s) did it".

This was supposed to be the start of it all -- the beginning of the legend, telling the tale of how the Master Sword was formed, where the reincarnating pattern of Link and Zelda and Ganondorf came from, and all that good stuff, but it all instead fell back onto something akin to an infinite regression turtles-all-the-way-down theorem.

So Zelda is the reincarnation of the goddess Hylia. And? This basic story had already been told to us by previous games -- that Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf all continuously reincarnate (except sometimes for Ganondorf, who has appeared multiple times in the same incarnation to different Links and Zeldas) to fulfill their roles in a recurring play set forth long ago by the gods. What this game failed to provide was a compelling and interesting reason or story behind why it was set in motion (or even how, really). Instead all it did was say "it was set in motion here". It was not so much a behind-the-scenes of how the eternal play came to be as it was simply its first performance. The only further information it really provided was that Zelda is the reincarnation of Hylia while Ganondorf is the reincarnation of Demise while Link is ... an arbitrarily chosen human just as he seems to be in every game that takes place after this one. There's still no compelling reason as to what set Demise and Hylia against each other, not that there needs to be, but when you're billed as an explanation you can't fall back on "it's just so".

I think the best example illustrating my point is the "story" of how the Master Sword came to be, which was what I went into Skyward Sword believing it to be primarily about. There's no story there at all other than "Sword that Link found in the shrine + 3 sacred flames = poof! Master Sword". Okay, so now where did the Skyward Sword come from? Yeah yeah yeah it's a sword created by the goddess to blah blah blah, that's exactly what every game before said about the Master Sword. All it did was set it back one further step. Now just repeat the same for Zelda and Ganondorf.

To be clear, it's perfectly fine for all this to be the case... but when it's what the game's story is supposed to be about, it's a cheap cop-out not to have "the reason behind" be a more compelling and complex tale.

To give you a perfect example of how it could have been done, look at Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. Yeah yeah, 3D Castlevania and all that, but it tells an actual story which both stands apart from and yet also explains the origin of the feud between the Belmonts and Dracula, and it does so in a surprising way with genuinely interesting twists and what I felt was some (not much, but some) compelling drama. It did not simply treat its subject matter as being just as elemental as every game taking place thereafter did. That is how you do a long-awaited origin story right. ...At least on paper.

The positive:
SPOILER: Show

That said, the very best of the story is in what it does that stands alone from its context within the barely-existing greater Zelda narrative.

* Groose's development was surprising and genuinely charming.

* I liked that "grannie" turned out to be Impa; even though I saw it coming a mile away, I still felt that it was a good twist. Not every twist has to be unpredictable to be good. (In fact, right after I figured it out, which was right after Zelda consigned herself to crystal slumber, I wrote a short lemon to myself about it, where after that scene, Link gets "comforted" by Impa just outside Zelda's room of repose then returns to his own time, notices "grannie" chuckling to herself, then figures out that he just fucked the younger version of her and feels kinda weird.)

* The way The Imprisoned was built up was tremendously awesome. He started out as a kind of malignant elemental force who seemed at once ancillary to the story yet also pregnant with great, ominous meaning. For him to turn out to be the very purpose of the seeming main bad guy Ghirahim's existence and therefore actually the whole point of the whole damn story came as a genuine and interesting shock. Also, the frequency with which you had to keep beating him back down only served to make him feel like more of a genuine threat rather than a chore. He evoked an excellent sense of dread, like some sort of sleeping cthonic horror you never want to see fully awakened.

* Demise had one wicked cool design, and his clear resemblance to Ganondorf only made it cooler. Kind of a pity how simple his boss fight was. Difficult, but simple, a mere two stages long. His turning out to be the proto-Ganondorf also gave him a sense of history that prevented a "so wait why do I care that he's the final boss?" situation.

* Skyloft is by far the most personable town in Zelda history. What the game lacks in quantity is made up for in quality as far as on-the-side character interactions go. You start to feel like you really know these people, or at least as much as you can in a game that's not really about its characters.

* Lastly, the downer that I was expecting to come in the ending did not occur, and in fact the exact opposite may have happened. Some site or review I read made it seem like the ending would be a disappointment because of how it doesn't lead up to what the beginning gets you to expect regarding Link and Zelda's relationship. However, it's still entirely possible that they did in fact wind up together. The future is an open book for the two of them after that; I suppose the reviewer simply wanted a firm answer as to whether or not they do become an item. Maybe I'm happy with how it turned out simply because I had been misled to expect a complete downer.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:45 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Tonight's "beat" was Skyward Sword, finally, concluding a journey that began before last Christmas.

I echo your complaints almost exactly. The game felt like an unfortunate step backwards, which was a damn shame, because it had some damn good things working in its favor. I often hear people saying that this was the first game where Zelda felt like an actual character and people felt for her, but... Nope, I don't see it. She came off as a crude spouter of heavy-handed exposition in the beginning, then when she finally has her dramatic confession, we've been playing for twenty hours and it's far too little too late. Up to that point, the narrative is so vacuous that it relies completely on the petulant nagging of one of the most obnoxious exposition fairies in the history of gaming, and lots of tripe about fate and destiny.

I don't mind a simple story. Some of the best Zeldas have had simple stories, but they knew when to shut up. What I mind is that what should have been narrative minimalism is so bogged down with shitty writing and mercilessly padded out. If they had kept all the character stuff, streamlined the world building, and cut like 90% of that shit about being a chosen hero, it could have been a delightfully charming little tale instead of inspiring noxious sighs.

Oh well. At least Ghirahim was fab-u-lous.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:33 am

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:Just finished mass effect 3 over all I’d say it was a great game. Although I did not particularly like the ending.

Conveniently I just finished it a moment ago.

I haven't been this mind fucked since the ending of Eva. I have no clue what just happened, I think I'm in shock at how "WTF" the ending was.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:19 am

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:Just finished mass effect 3 over all I’d say it was a great game. Although I did not particularly like the ending.
Personally I think it should have ended with Shepherd and Anderson staring out at Earth from the catalyst, or at least should have gone in a different direction after that point. Once I saw that god damn kid walking up to me I knew we were about to jump the shark and badly.

Speaking of which I think that in the dreams the kid should have been replaced by people you actually know who died in earlier games, so that the dream has, you know, actual relevance to the player.

I went into this game expecting shit through-and-through but I'm pleasantly surprised that this was only the case for the last 5 or so minutes.

It's disappointing that all the effort you went through throughout the game doesn't really affect the finale much. Besides Joker addressing each of the races you've recruited they don't affect gameplay much. In fact, I don't even know what my war assets actually affected. My ending options maybe?

Most of the stuff in London was brilliant though, particularly the desperate survival when you're defending the missiles against 3 banshees at a time, 4 brutes and countless Marauders. Seeing your squad mates get killed right in front of you as you charge towards the light beam was very effective.

Now we just need to wait for the "Take back Omega from TIM" DLC and whatever DLC effects the ending.

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:11 pm

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:
Personally I think it should have ended with Shepherd and Anderson staring out at Earth from the catalyst, or at least should have gone in a different direction after that point. Once I saw that god damn kid walking up to me I knew we were about to jump the shark and badly.

Speaking of which I think that in the dreams the kid should have been replaced by people you actually know who died in earlier games, so that the dream has, you know, actual relevance to the player.

I went into this game expecting shit through-and-through but I'm pleasantly surprised that this was only the case for the last 5 or so minutes.

It's disappointing that all the effort you went through throughout the game doesn't really affect the finale much. Besides Joker addressing each of the races you've recruited they don't affect gameplay much. In fact, I don't even know what my war assets actually affected. My ending options maybe?

Most of the stuff in London was brilliant though, particularly the desperate survival when you're defending the missiles against 3 banshees at a time, 4 brutes and countless Marauders. Seeing your squad mates get killed right in front of you as you charge towards the light beam was very effective.

Now we just need to wait for the "Take back Omega from TIM" DLC and whatever DLC effects the ending.

Couldn't agree more, you basically summed up my feelings entirely. But those nightmare sequences...that intro... anytime that little shit was involved I wanted to just turn off the game. It seems to be a recurring theme with Bioware lately, they're games have great peaks, such as Mordin dying, Legion dying, thane dying ;_;, but they also have deep valleys, such as the Kid and nightmares. I also feel like the side missions, even the N7 missions, were just, in general, much worse than ME2. Which is sad, because I felt that was one of the few things ME2 did good. Bioware just...they can't make an all around great game lately. I don't know why, but it seems like they're last few games have really good strengths, but the weaknesses are just as weak.

Oh well, I think, excluding the ending, ME3 was still better than ME2. And like you said, now we just wait for The End of Mass Effect.

Oh and two things:
1) I'm not 100% sure, but I'd guess if you don't go into the ending with enough war assets you get screwed. Screwed being, in this case, either squad members die from the ship getting hit, or the entire fleet getting wiped out and that being your "Ending". Similar to ME2 in that case.
2) Regarding squad mates getting killed in Harbinger's laser.... I had Tali with me on that mission, and yet Tali came out of the Normandy when it landed on Jungle Planet. Not sure how that happened, but it lends more credence to the theory that the entire ending was a hallucination. Then again, it's Bioware, so I don't know whether it's more unbelievable that they thought that through that much (There's some detailed threads discussing why people think the entire ending was a hallucination brought on by indoctrination), or whether it's more believable that Bioware just screwed up and let your squad mates magically live through that somehow.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:31 pm

@ CJD and liquidus118

I completely agree with you guys. Mass Effect 3 had some great moments but that ending man I don’t really understand it.

I felt they could have done some things better in regards to the lead up towards the ending, I really wish we could have had a conversation with Harbinger he was a major antagonist in ME2 and all he does is just show and fires at you and your squad. I also felt the final confrontation with the Illusive man could have been handled a little better but I am glad they threw out the idea of him turning into a monster and serving as a mindless creature last boss.

And on the war assests they affect your end in some way I have heard that if you have enough there is a extra scene where Shepherd is alive or something like that.
Last edited by Final Messenger on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Still playing The Sims 2.

Since I moved the Ayanami family to a mansion, the family isn't a mess as much.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby CX1329 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:49 pm

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:Still playing The Sims 2.

Since I moved the Ayanami family to a mansion, the family isn't a mess as much.

I assume the main perk of playing as the Ayanami family would be that no attention needs ever be paid to the "Social" need bar, as it's always maxed out.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:02 pm

View Original PostCX1329 wrote:I assume the main perk of playing as the Ayanami family would be that no attention needs ever be paid to the "Social" need bar, as it's always maxed out.

Bah, I be using cheat codes to max all the bars out.

Then I have Rei making a delicious meal for her family, realizing that everyone's bars are full, then as she serves the meals, go to each family member and drug the hunger bar down to about 30% or so.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

CJD
Banned

Postby CJD » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:50 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:@ CJD and liquidus118

I completely agree with you guys. Mass Effect 3 had some great moments but that ending man I don’t really understand it.

I felt they could have done some things better in regards to the lead up towards the ending, I really wish we could have had a conversation with Harbinger he was a major antagonist in ME2 and all he does is just show and fires at you and your squad. I also felt the final confrontation with the Illusive man could have been handled a little better but I am glad they threw out the idea of him turning into a monster and serving as a mindless creature last boss.

And on the war assests they affect your end in some way I have heard that if you have enough there is a extra scene where Shepherd is alive or something like that.

I read that it's 4000 effective, and you have to choose the "Destroy" ending. You can find it on youtube, it's awfully ambiguous either way.

Eh, on another note, this is for future reference for myself, are we allowed to talk like this? Is this considered off topic?

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:22 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:I'm always cautious about spoilers, just because I'm always courteous of peoples' virgin game experiences, but I was talking about some specific events. Did the articles go into specifics on
who the Zeldas really are and why Ganon is reborn so often?

I can finally reply to this post from page 30 (back in December) now that I've beaten the game.

...No, they didn't.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Xous
Lilith

Postby Xous » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:52 pm

Just finished my second playthrough of Dark Souls and moved on to New Game++. I still haven't played anything aside from Offline Mode since I'm sure I'm instantly doomed against anyone using magic (I'm pretty much pure melee) but to spice up this playthrough I may consider giving online a try.
Current Eva-related project: Drawing Angels #1 - 17. Progress: Sketching Ireul. [On Standby]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:30 am

Tonight's "beat" was Xenosaga episode 1, completing a playthrough that I started 10 frickin' years ago in sophomore year of high school.

Yeah, a game that takes me just over 82 hours to beat, with cheats for the last 5 or so hours, and then has the gall to not really conclude anything at all by its end, has no right to call itself episode 1 of anything. I think the cutting of the planned 6 parts to a mere trilogy will prove to be the best thing that happened to this series. At the very least, there's nowhere for the sequels to go but up as far as conclusiveness is concerned.

I just plain didn't "get" this game. Even having just beaten it, I couldn't tell you what the main plot actually was, because if it had one, it seemed like it had changed completely by the last eighth or so. I still don't really understand what the U-TIC is, and if I hadn't stumbled upon a certain wiki I would have beaten this game still thinking U-DO was some kind of organization and not the poorly-chosen name of some kind of primordial energy being (I think?). Even before the first time I dropped this game out of sheer frustration and boredom with its laborious mechanics and ridiculously slow pacing, I didn't understand most of what was going on in those poorly-directed, poorly-written, stiffly-acted scenes where doll-like empty-eyed nobodies spout constant cryptic nonsense from mouths that move akin to those of Team America puppets, or if I did, I didn't really care because I couldn't keep straight what this person or that person's significance even was.

All the big bombshells were far too obviously foreshadowed to have any impact, and then explained too improperly for what little impact they had to have any impact. It's like a double de-impactification! The fact that one of your party members turns out to be something called a "URTV" (trust me, that much is no spoiler) is severely muted by the fact that what a URTV is isn't even explained until right after they are revealed to be one, and when it is explained, the explanation does not put it in any terms that can be understood in the moment they need to be understood for the revelation to have any shock value. The explanation was tantamount to saying "this person ain't normal" but that was clear from very early in the game, so it was a pretty "well duh" moment. If they weren't going to explain beforehand what exactly a URTV is, then they should have at least explained it in the moment using some kind of analogy to something the audience will understand, like maybe if they had described a URTV as some kind of "ghost" (and I have no idea if that is an appropriate description whatsoever).

The revelation is also severely muted when you consider that out of the six members, not one of them is normal, and half of them are like, I don't know, one seems to be like they're probably the living avatar of God, and another seems like they might be the Living Key of Something Important and Powerful, or ... whatever. When every other character is some kind of mysterious living portent of ominousness, having one more turn out to be some kind of super special life-form thingie the whole time means absolutely nothing.

My "not getting" the game was probably not helped by the fact that I picked up and dropped this game a total of about 4 times over the past 10 or so years. So I get the feeling that I may have to play it again to understand, but faster this time, with cheats from the get-go, but I'm going to give it a rest for a while. Maybe then my opinion will improve.

As for what transpired in this session in particular, the whole ending was

one big load of manufactured drama that was not the least bit credible. Given the "super duper inexplicable cutscene power that for some reason can't be used in normal gameplay" power KOS-MOS displayed in previous cutscenes, I didn't believe for a moment that she was in any real danger by staying behind to make the Proto-Merkabah break itself apart. She previously displayed such abilities as surviving and moving freely in hard vacuum, so I didn't understand why everyone felt that they had to make the Elsa wait around to pick her up, especially when considering that right after the part where she re-boards the Elsa she then does just that in order to save the Elsa from the heat of re-entry, by flying out into space and shielding it with her energy shield (which, for that matter, if it was that strong, why wasn't she using it the whole game, or at least against the final boss?). If she could have done that the whole time, and she had already done it before, why was anyone afraid that she wouldn't be able to just fly out from the Proto-Merkabah by herself and meet up with them a safe distance away from it? It doesn't make sense!

Maybe there was a better reason, but if it was there, it was probably explained in some throwaway line like 10 gameplay hours ago and should have been brought back up as soon as it became relevant again.

The most annoying thing about this game is the fact that even as ridiculously long as it takes to beat, absolutely nothing is explained to any level of satisfaction. It drags its heels on everything, and in these last 7 or so hours of the game I didn't feel like I understood any better such things as who/what Chaos is (I refuse to spell his name in all lowercase as the game does) or why exactly Momo is such a special Realian (I refuse to spell her name in all caps as the game does) or what Shion's connection to Nephilim is. If they were ever explained, they were easily forgotten, and that is a testament to just how poorly written the story really is.
System Administrator

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:37 am

I'm sorry you didn't like it, Monk Ed. :dejected:

I suppose you won't be giving the others a try. . .
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:54 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I'm sorry you didn't like it, Monk Ed. :dejected:

I used to like it, back in the day. I'm sure there must have been a reason. But it'll take a while before I can give it another shot. Surely it'll all make more sense a second time through with cheats on to smooth out the design's rough edges. Or even if not, the other games will probably fill me in on whatever I missed in the first one.
I suppose you won't be giving the others a try. . .

Actually, I will. Like I said: Nowhere to go but up from here. And I have read that the others learn from the first's mistakes, and that the third is quite a climax. But I'll probably still cheat my way through for the sake of my own sanity. The battling in the first ep became downright tedious, and the game could easily have taken me 10 more hours if I wasn't one-shotting every enemy I came across.

I must say, I just don't get the battle system. What's the point of using any ability that's not in a hi-speed slot? For that matter, what's the point of using any ability except the one you've put the most T-points into to maximize its damage? I was nothing but punished the whole game through for using anything but Spell Ray with Shion -- nothing else did as much damage. Same thing with R-Cannon for Kos-Mos.

There was also an extreme lack of moves that felt truly devastating. I'm sure I was spending all the points I got on all the things I was supposed to, but I never got any really cool Ether moves. Nothing like, say, Lightning 2 or Luminaire from Chrono Trigger, for comparison -- relatively cheap, nicely devastating moves that make you feel really powerful against the random mooks. There was Kos-Mos's Satellite and Shion's spinning top, but they never managed to kill anything or even do all that much damage by themselves. The strategy also felt really simplistic and same-y.
System Administrator

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby liquidus118 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:46 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:
Couldn't agree more, you basically summed up my feelings entirely. But those nightmare sequences...that intro... anytime that little shit was involved I wanted to just turn off the game. It seems to be a recurring theme with Bioware lately, they're games have great peaks, such as Mordin dying, Legion dying, thane dying ;_;, but they also have deep valleys, such as the Kid and nightmares. I also feel like the side missions, even the N7 missions, were just, in general, much worse than ME2. Which is sad, because I felt that was one of the few things ME2 did good. Bioware just...they can't make an all around great game lately. I don't know why, but it seems like they're last few games have really good strengths, but the weaknesses are just as weak.

Oh well, I think, excluding the ending, ME3 was still better than ME2. And like you said, now we just wait for The End of Mass Effect.

Oh and two things:
1) I'm not 100% sure, but I'd guess if you don't go into the ending with enough war assets you get screwed. Screwed being, in this case, either squad members die from the ship getting hit, or the entire fleet getting wiped out and that being your "Ending". Similar to ME2 in that case.
2) Regarding squad mates getting killed in Harbinger's laser.... I had Tali with me on that mission, and yet Tali came out of the Normandy when it landed on Jungle Planet. Not sure how that happened, but it lends more credence to the theory that the entire ending was a hallucination. Then again, it's Bioware, so I don't know whether it's more unbelievable that they thought that through that much (There's some detailed threads discussing why people think the entire ending was a hallucination brought on by indoctrination), or whether it's more believable that Bioware just screwed up and let your squad mates magically live through that somehow.
Yup, it was all going well until Shep fell onto that lift...
Have you heard the extended dialogue with Anderson that was cut? It was so good. If they'd have included that and just faded to the Crucible finishing off the Reapers I almost would have been fine with a linear ending, I'd certainly be happier than I am with the current ending.

Also 4000 EMS = Shepherd lives in the destroy ending (it's a 5 second scene where he gasps for air at the end) or 5000 if Anderson is killed by TIM.

Speaking of which I thought the way they handled TIM's last lines was perfect. Same goes for Anderson.

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:@ CJD and liquidus118

Yeah, what we got was much better than TIM just growing all big and basically being an oversized Brute.

I'm interested to see what they do with regards to the endings. I have a feeling they'll do something, but what that something is I don't know. I look forward to watching the backlash if they decide to charge for whatever their solution is. Either way it'll have to be the first thing they do because no one's going to want to pay for the Take Back Omega DLC if they know that the ending invalidates everything anyway.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:09 pm

About 3/4's of the way through the HD remake of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. This game is every bit as awesome as I remembered.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Tarnsman
Faustian Iodide
Faustian Iodide

Postby Tarnsman » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:44 pm

Just finished Mass Effect 3.

Some things I really, really enjoyed.
The game shitting on itself and nearly being ruined forever in the last 10 minutes.
Ruining the Reapers.
Kai Leng, possibly the worst character in all of Mass Effect. (And his stupid ninja Phantom cohorts.)
Lack of massive trolling via Harbinger for 95% of the game.
Cerberus' actions making no goddamn sense.
The Illusive Man wants the Crucible so that he can control the Reapers... but he does everything in his power to prevent the Alliance from effectively being able to finish the Crucible. At least Saren's actions while indoctrinated made sense. He could claim he still had free will because his goals went along with the Reapers. The Illusive Man's logic on the other hand is "we need to delay the completion of the Crucible because that would benefit the Reapers and do absolutely nothing to bring me closer to my goal, but I'm totally not indoctrinated."

How boring the homeworlds of the other species are.
The return to Earth.
I really didn't want to see all of my allies teaming up and kicking ass, seeing my choices and accomplishments actually reflected in game play. Nope, running through dull gray streets and fighting a million and a half brutes is where it's at!

The lack of a critical failure BAD END.
EDI's new (we totally didn't just do this for fetish appeal) redesign.
Everyone on the Normandy but Cortez (because he only likes men) trying to screw my Shepard.
The SR2's redesign and overall lack of flow.
That damn loading door between the CIC and the War Room.
The reporter. (The one you can't punch.)
Liara constantly needing to be told that I do indeed wish to continue having sex with her blue ass (despite constantly reminding her through out LOTSB that I still wish to tap that, and at the beginning of the game, AND fifty million more times before she finally got the hint.)
The lack of Adam Baldwin.
...and having Reegar die in an email.

The entire Quarian race being full retard.
MANguard being reduced to easy mode: charge -> nova -> charge -> nova -> charge -> nova -> charge -> nova -> I win the game forever on any difficulty setting because with 200% power recharge speed I can spam charge and nova indefinitely.
The entire game being piss easy.
70% of the dialogue being reduced to a pathetic 2 options.
Garrus and Tali hooking up. Garrus and Tali hooking up is like watching you best friend and his sister hook up.

How the only option that allows Shepard to live in the end was the "destroy" option which was supposed to destroy all "synthetics" yet EDI still survives along with Tali (who is heavily augmented) and Shepard (who is also heavily augmented). So not only is the Catalyst is a lying bastard, the renegade option was the least crappy one for a change.

The kid. Forced, obtrusive, unneeded, and completely hollow "drama".
The Catalyst.

Seriously though, fun game until BioWare decided that all those choices you made through out the game were totally pointless and the only way to end the game was to go completely off its rocker.

I just wanted to be "big goddamn heroes" with Zaeed! Was that too much to ask for!? At least Conrad Verner and all the gathering missions from ME1 finally paid off.
"You, sir, are the very heart of the rot that has corrupted humanity from the very beginning!" - tehprognoob
"I know that "chan" is Japanese for something like Mr. or something like that" - TSDA
"If I wanted porn without emotional damage, I'd watch Rebuild." - Azathoth
"because Evangelion and Pokemon are the same show when you really get down to it" - esselfortium
"i obviously have low standards, i liked Eva." - Seele00TextOnly

Kasowaree
Adam

Postby Kasowaree » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:55 pm

Whelp just finished ME3(After I was sadly unable to cancel my preorder).

It's a piece of crap. Honestly on of the biggest screw ups in recent years not quite as bad as Privateer 2 but bloody close. The dream bits made no sense they striped far too much of the RPG elements out the ending made Fallout 3 look masterful and the "From Ashes" DLC is shameful and disgusting.(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRRpGlmtws8&feature=g-all-lik&context=G295ede0FAAAAAAAAVAA yeah EA is really trying to one up Activision) I'd also like to add the Save import issues off animation lacking textures an utterly abysmal Collectors Edition and what is basically the removal of choice as reason why I don't like it.

Which sucks as I'm one of the biggest ME fans you'll find.Bought the first game and loved it preordered the second and loved it and preordered this one and really wanted to love it but I chouldn't as a squeal it was bad a game it's at best an average game tarnished by underhanded business.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAi4izfvXo4 Chameleon Circuit - An Awful Lot of Running
Scott Shaw Still A Massive Doucebag
I can now honestly say I've beaten vileSpanishiwa

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:27 pm

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:
Speaking of which I thought the way they handled TIM's last lines was perfect. Same goes for Anderson.

Yeah his final lines were pretty great the “earth looks beautiful” line was really great, but the game did not let me make the last Paragon dialogue option for some reason even though I was a full paragon.

On the topic of DLC yeah I do hope that they throw in one that can at least give us a decent ending.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”