Microsoft doesn't like swastikas. Should STFU.

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:55 am

View Original PostNightweaver20xx wrote:Veterans still joke and speak glowingly of how many people they blew away or how they shot Nazi POWs in the head AFTER they surrendered, just because they were Nazis. It happens. That's life. It's goddamn ugly, but it's also fact.

Most veterans of any war aren't thrilled to discuss it, and anyone who would brag about killing surrendered troops is an asshole and far, far from the norm of military behavior.

Also, political correctness is a disease, but at the same time the makers of a game are under no obligation to give players the freedom to act, speak, or display images that they feel will hurt their buisness. It's almost certainly all listed in the EURL anyway, if only vaguelly.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Oh the hypocrisy. You can blow off a Nazi's head with a sawed-off shotgun or show a woman getting raped by a tentacle monster, but using a swastika or showing un-pixelated genitals is a no-no.

BTW: Swastikas were also seen on hoplite helmets and shields from Greece, in Native American iconography, and was mutated into the image of Mjolnar, a pagan icon devoted to Thor. The Swastika is an international and multicultural symbol that has been blackened by its connection to the Holocaust. Way to ruin it for the rest of us Hitler.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:57 pm

View Original PostNightweaver20xx wrote:Like it or not, Western society glorifies war.

[URL=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2486-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops]Relevant.[/url] Also, fucking hysterical.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:17 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:[URL=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2486-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops]Relevant.[/url] Also, fucking hysterical.

:hitthetable:

One of the best Yahtzee's I've ever seen

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:10 pm

You get to kill Nazis in CoD 1, 2 and Black Ops.

Not too surprising if you ask me.
In the country I live in (Austria) you can get arrested for that Hakenkreuz business.
Even the old Wolfenstein games had to get those blue-greenish crosses so that it could be sold to the general public.

Edit:
Call of Duty isn´t gory at all and doesn´t focus too much on it.

Sure, you get people getting their limbs shot off when you aim down the sight of your shotgun, but it´s still better than disappearing into thin air if you ask me.
It kind of gives their deaths some weight, or something like that.

(Did anybody notice that Viktor Reznov´s Voice actor kind of sounded like the soviet comissar in the volga river level of CoD1?
His speech at Vorkuta gave me the nostalgias.
Also, the german voice actors for the nazis kind of sound like the ones in CoD2, don´t you think?)

Animejunkie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Animejunkie » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:35 pm

You wouldn't be saying this if you were from any European country that actually had an invading army and didn't just fight overseas.

I laugh at this cause i grew up in germany and only moved to america 2 years ago. so i guess im kinda biased as well...
IS AMAZING.... Better than cotton candy... NO WAY JOSE

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:53 pm

nevermind
Last edited by backseatjesus on Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:08 pm

View Original PostNightweaver20xx wrote:Like it or not, Western society glorifies war.
I take it you've never heard of fukoku kyōhei, bushidō or Genghis Khan

anyway, freedom of speech either exists or does not

Microsoft is free to do this, and they're not the only ones to do this exact kind of censorship in video games, but it is revisionist and sorry, and we should criticize them for being so cowardly as a counterbalance
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Nightweaver20xx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Nightweaver20xx » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:00 am

Most Eastern societies glorify war as well. In fact, the glorification of war seems to be not only a human trait, but also shared among our ape and chimpanzee cousins. Wait, maybe I have some proof...

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/science/22chimp.html[/url]

Sorry I couldn't come up with something better. Point is, relishing in the taking of life in the name of a nation/religion/doctrine seems to be an essential part of who we are.
"The tranquil angel's thesis has ended, so now it is beginning/ Clinging tightly to the life you protect/ You will receive an answer from that dream~
--Epilogue of Evangelion

The story is never over as long as humans can still love one another.

[url]http://www.furaffinity.net/user/Nightweaver20xx[/url]

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Timstuff » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:40 pm

Since they moment a child can hold a stick they pretend that it's a sword or a rifle. Human beings are inherently violent beings and most of us have violent fantasies about wars, battles, fighting etc., especially males. Video games give people an outlet for these fantasies. Just like sexual fantasies are an outlet for people's sexual desires, video games are an outlet for people's fantasies about adventure and violence. It's a part of human nature that is going to manifest itself one way or another, whether it's through video games, hunting, fighting or war. I think for the most part we don't criticize people over what their sexual fantasies are, and for the most part I don't really see the value in criticizing people's fantasies about violence.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:15 pm

The glorification of war as propaganda isn't an entirely new thing either; nowadays, it's just more apparent in the video game medium. The government needs to get its recruits somehow. Video games have already gotten my younger brother dead set on enlisting when he's old enough.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:21 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Video games have already gotten my younger brother dead set on enlisting when he's old enough.

Your brother needs a dose of vicious reality.

Animejunkie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Animejunkie » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:02 am

unless he's been playing Americas Army... that games designed to brain wash u into joining the military... but its a really good games lolz
IS AMAZING.... Better than cotton candy... NO WAY JOSE

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:27 pm

With this thread, now I remember the notorious Habbo raids.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”