Favorite/Least Favorite Eva Episodes and Why

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:48 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:Even despite its contextual necessity, as a standalone episode, 11 is just so much fun. How can you not love it?

Well I have no probelm with it, but apparently some people do...

Da Games Elite
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Da Games Elite » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:21 am

View Original PostChrad wrote:They're saying that, while at the same time fleshing out the characters so the eventual brain explosion is even more traumatic.
Even despite its contextual necessity, as a standalone episode, 11 is just so much fun. How can you not love it?

Episode 11 is very fun. My only complaint is that Rei looks like she just walked out of a UFO in some scenes, but beyond art style complaints, the episode is splendid. Not my favorite in the action arch, but certainly fine...but then again I also have no problem with episodes 7 or 10, so I'm one of those rare fans who like every piece of the collected whole. ^_^

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:46 am

View Original PostDa Games Elite wrote:Episode 11 is very fun. My only complaint is that Rei looks like she just walked out of a UFO in some scenes, but beyond art style complaints, the episode is splendid. Not my favorite in the action arch, but certainly fine...but then again I also have no problem with episodes 7 or 10, so I'm one of those rare fans who like every piece of the collected whole. ^_^

I'm with you. Like 7 and 10 as well.

Da Games Elite
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Da Games Elite » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:58 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:I'm with you. Like 7 and 10 as well.

I mean, I can see why people can hate those two episodes, but I never could relate. I know what they hate, it just never affected me in a negative way. You the same like that?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:48 pm

I'm surprised so many people thought episode 11 was their favorite. When I read the topic for this thread, I was like, "LOL WUT HAPPENED IN EPISODE 11 LOL."
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:27 pm

View Original PostDa Games Elite wrote:I mean, I can see why people can hate those two episodes, but I never could relate. I know what they hate, it just never affected me in a negative way. You the same like that?

Yeah. I think a lot of people think they were too goofy, but a little goofy anime humour every now and again isn't so bad.
Plus, if they weren't there, the dark turn the series takes wouldn't be so surprising.

I really like episode 7 for the interaction between Shinji and Misato.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:43 pm

View Original Postcd603 wrote:Well I have no probelm with it, but apparently some people do...

Well, at least some elements of the episode wasn't bad. There were some good humor and the Angel wasn't that bad... storyline should be more creative and clever, and character designs shouldn't be sloppy.
SPOILER: Show
(thank god this never replicated in Rebuild 2.22.)

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby cd603 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:36 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:Well, at least some elements of the episode wasn't bad. There were some good humor and the Angel wasn't that bad... storyline should be more creative and clever, and character designs shouldn't be sloppy.
SPOILER: Show
(thank god this never replicated in Rebuild 2.22.)

Amen brother, Amen!!

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Episode 11 is ass

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:06 pm

View Original PostCOACH wrote:Kinda weird... Did somebody else animate this episode?

Yes; none of the key animators on episode 11 have credits on any other episode.

View Original PostRamiel wrote:Studio Ghibli helped out, right? Or was it someone else?

According to the credits Vega Entertainment and Production IG co-produced episode 11.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:26 pm

View Original PostJoeD80 wrote:According to the credits Vega Entertainment and Production IG co-produced episode 11.

Well, Production I.G. co-produced The End of Evangelion, and that looked amazing! I blame all of the cheap shots on this Vegas Entertainment character.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:26 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I blame all of the cheap shots on this Vegas Entertainment character.

If only we could travel back in 1995-96 with our favorite DeLorean DMC-12 with a 1.21 Gigawatt flux capacitor to get rid of Vegas Ent. and just have Prod. IG to take care of Vegas' position. That would make my day (and make 11 better, which I'll end up saying "Great Scott, this episode was heavy!")

nomis1242
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:54 pm

(hopefully this isn't a "stupid newbie" post, I'm new here)

In Ep 11, I really dig how the kids are crawling through the ventilation shaft (Asuka whingeing the whole time, of course!), then they finally get to the cage to pilot their Evas and the next shot is the evas crawling through similar cramped shafts. Brilliant!

Watching Jet Alone without knowing the back-story, I really enjoyed it at the time. But re-watching it I found it frustrating because it's all inconsequential (eg nothing would have been different if the robot had been left to its own devices, meltdown would have never occurred anyway). Perhaps this is why people don't like it.

The only benefit of Jet Alone is that it shows how influential NERV is and how they are willing to stoop to such dodgy tricks.

Rei Makes You Go Splat
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Rei Makes You Go Splat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:36 am

Here's my top five TV Episodes:

1. Introjection
2. Splitting of the Breast
3. Don't be.
4. Take Care of Yourself
5. Those Women Longed for the Touch of Other's Lips, and Thus Invited Their Kisses

If EoE counts as two episodes:

1. ONE MORE FINAL: I need you.
2. Introjection
3. Love is Destructive
4. Splitting of the Breast
5. Don't be.
Evangelion extends life. Evangelion expands consciousness.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:49 am

"I don´t know what kind of expression I should make in this situation."
"Maybe you should just try smiling."
(or something like that)

,23 or 24.

bigbadtyrant
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby bigbadtyrant » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:53 am

My favorite episode is episode 22 because well......Rei gets to kill an angel without blowing up, nuf said.
From the shadows i come!!!

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:47 pm

Probably Air, oddly enough. 22' is also right up there for similar reasons.

xuefranklin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xuefranklin » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Episode 19 because the zeruel scenes were the only scenes that I remember about Eva when I was 5. Eva Unit 02 getting decapitated was a scene that I remembered especially

Sanger Zonvolt
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sanger Zonvolt » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:54 am

Episode 19 will always be my favorite, and will stick with me forever.

Everything about the fight with Zeruel was great, only surpassed by Asuka against the mass produced.
I am Sanger, Sanger Zonvolt! The sword that cleaves evil!

The Mari fan

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:59 pm

Episode 24, easily. Kaworu's descent to Terminal Dogma, with the Ode to Joy playing in the background, was awesome, and as a first time viewer, I was both really perplexed and extremely engrossed at the same time. And of course, the epic one minute pause where Eva-01 holds Kaworu with the music finishing in the background was simply amazing, and in many ways, is what I felt personally pushed the show over the edge from being "pretty great" to "holy crap amazing".

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Episode 16: I love this episode because it marks the point where shit really starts to hit the fan. All the characters begin to get more and more unstable and stuff generally gets freakier.

Episode 19: I think it’s the best episode visually for me, the decapitated Unit 02, Unit 01 busting through the bridge, Zeruel blowing stuff up and Unit 01 going into the berserk rage to end all berserk rages.

Episode 24: Kaworu + Ode to Joy + final Angel battle = win

As you can see I like the second half of the series better because it’s more complicated and added all the stuff that made NGE well NGE.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”