Oh Look, Another Christ Thread. This Time, Judas.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Oh Look, Another Christ Thread. This Time, Judas.

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:11 pm

IRC wrote:〈NAveryW〉Wait, I just realized something obvious I don't think I've seen addressed
〈NAveryW〉I'd be amazed if it's never been discussed before, but I don't remember seeing it so
〈NAveryW〉If there are indeed 12 members of Seele, Keel Lorenz being the leader, that would make Gendo the "Judas", right?
〈ZapX〉no
〈ZapX〉go read the gospels again
〈NAveryW〉If the eleven remaining members of Seele would be considered his "apostles", that leaves Gendo as an honorary 12th
〈NAveryW〉And obviously he betrayed Keel
〈ZapX〉you're reaching even for an eva fan
〈Zent_Circle9〉so it seems
〈NAveryW〉I'm not saying this is definitely the case, I'm saying it seems like an obvious thing to come up that I don't think has come up before
〈ZapX〉it looks interesting
〈NAveryW〉Or that I don't think I've seen brought up before
〈NAveryW〉I'm sure it's been discussed
〈NAveryW〉SOMEWHERE
〈ZapX〉i miss the standard shooter games though
〈ZapX〉i want my 13
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:08 pm

:shrug: The major problem is that there isn't a Jesus in that equation...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:27 pm

Keel, obviously. He's mankind's savior and all.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Meh, this is one case of parallelism I can't get terribly excited about...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby evaunit13 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:39 pm

keel doesn't really strike me as a jesus-type figure other than his plans for saving mankind.
i want rebuild

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:43 pm

And that he's the leader of a religious sect/cult that appears to be based somewhat on Judaism (remember, Seele was originally Essene).

And that he has eleven followers as well as someone who appears to be a follower but who ends up betraying him.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby evaunit13 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:07 pm

i meant more along the lines of his attitude. the leadership/betrayal is set down. but he didn't seem like a friendly guy like what jesus is said to be.
i want rebuild

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:09 pm

Jesus will return, "but this time, he won't be as nice."

Wait a minute, isn't Jesus supposed to end the world when he returns?

Crap, I just proved that Keel Lorenz is the second coming of Jesus. NO ARGUING, I PROVED IT AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD FOR NOT THINKING OF IT FIRST.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby evaunit13 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:20 pm

i feel bad for not thinking of it first.
i want rebuild

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:30 pm

Um... there were 13 at the table during the Last Supper. 12 apostles plus Jesus equals 13. As a matter of fact, that betrayal is one of the reasons why people consider 13 to be an unlucky number.

Although, still interesting.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:34 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Um... there were 13 at the table during the Last Supper. 12 apostles plus Jesus equals 13.
Twelve members of Seele plus Gendo the betrayer equals thirteen, silly.

C W St. J Nobbs
Embryo

Postby C W St. J Nobbs » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:36 pm

So, what you're saying is that someone is going to nail Keel to a tree?
There is something Pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

London calling, see we ain't got no swing/'cept for the ring of that truncheon thing

Boards don't hit back. - Bruce Lee

I do not fear the man who practices 10000 kicks once. I fear the man who practices one kick 10000 times. - Bruce Lee

ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION. AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END SOME DAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS. LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN? - DEATH

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:38 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Twelve members of Seele plus Gendo the betrayer equals thirteen, silly.

Oh, that's right. Sorry. It's late and I'm on caffeine.

In that case, very interesting.

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:47 pm

Damnit. Why do I never spot the cool things?
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:08 am

View Original PostBeoX2 wrote:Damnit. Why do I never spot the cool things?

You mean to say, "Damnit. Why does NAW always spot the cool things?"

Kiel = Jesus. NAW proved it. /thread
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:50 am

Obviously Shinji is Jesus. He saves the world and everything.

Shinji wrote:Father...Father betrayed me!
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Sun Stealer » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:10 am

Sometimes, a tophat is just a tophat.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Halicat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:07 am

So much for those 'Kaworu died for your sins' bumper stickers then :lol:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:05 am

View Original PostHalicat wrote:So much for those 'Kaworu died for your sins' bumper stickers then :lol:

I thought that was Optimus Prime...

Seriously though, I'm not sure how much we're supposed to keep some of the religious materials within its original context. I mean, Christianity is not a "mainstream religion" in Japan like it is in most Western cultures. So Japanese creators, such as Anno, feel better about cherry-picking whatever part they like and sticking it wherever they like.

So even though Gendo (could be translated as "Words" or "Conduct", a possible reference to John 1:1), Shinji (could be translated "Son of God"), and Rei (could be translated as "Spirit" in some spellings, a possible reference to the Holy Spirit) could refer to the Holy Trinity, or at least Gendo's shoty attempt at Godhood, it's also very possible that Gendo could also be a reference to Judas Iscariot. Not everything has to be in original Biblical context in EVangelion.

But if you do want to keep the religious references in Eva within their original Biblical context, one could argue that Gendo is a reference to Satan. In Scriptures, Satan is always copying everything God does. God has a Trinity? So does Satan in the book of Revelation. And so does Gendo. And scripture also says that Satan entered the heart of Judas, keeping Gendo's parallel to Judas intact. So this parallel doesn't really fall that far from it original Biblical context in that light.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Halicat » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:12 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:one could argue that Gendo is a reference to Satan.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I always thought the only references to Satan in Eva were the fact that Lilith/GNR and Yui both sport 12 wings in EoE, but more in a symbolic sense to say that 'instrumentality/trying to be God = bad' and anything bad = Satan. Rather than anything Satanic itself. That and Sammael in the Opening credits.

Buuut you can again refer both Lilith/GNR and Yui back to Gendo, so, perhaps.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”