The most powerful scene in any Evangelion media

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Nightquest
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nightquest » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:01 pm

I think the lasts scenes of Misato in EoE were the most powerful. When Shinji was soo down that he can't even decide which way to choose: survive or die. Then, Misato dragging him to the elevator.. I love that part. Also, I love the "crying" scence on the elevator, when Shinji looks his hands with blood and his eyes are full of tears with a "devastated" and surprised face, and then he bursts into tears again. I should make a GIF of that scene.

And in the latest rebuild, when Shinji got mad in the DummySystem scene, and started to shout "stop it!".
"And extinguishing will now be the only way to diminish your sins,
This vortex can't be filled up again, a hole in space and time..."

Epica - "Blank Infinity"

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:39 pm

I'm sure the sandbox scene does have some deep psychological meaning or significance, really I am. I'm even sure that somewhere on this very site there is a brilliantly-researched treatise dedicated to unpacking that meaning. Try as I might, I still can't bring myself to give a single fuck about the scene.

I'd say the second half of 25' is the strongest part of the entire series, from Misato being shot to Asuka's last stand. The emotional blow of a double-love-interest-kill is one that almost no series ever pulls - one girl always dies heroically to open up the path for the other. Misato even tries to do that...and then it fails horribly anyway. The sheer hopelessness of that moment when Asuka finally bites it is enough to break something in me. I've never had any difficulty understanding why Shinji wishes for an end after that.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:35 pm

1. One More Final: I Need You
2. Yui munching on Zeruel
3. Komm Susser Todd
4. Reiquarium
5. Asuka's mind-rape
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

bananafaerie
Embryo

FOR MEN AND TRANSFORMICE.

•      
  •      

Postby bananafaerie » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:15 am

Komm, Susser Todd was really nice/out of place/just plain mindfucking. If this song played at the end of the world, you know.... It wouldn't be that bad. :X

Dear God Smugleaf, where do you get those pictures >_>
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:57 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:I going to try reading it once, but then I heard about a certain scene involving Rei and I decided it wasn't worth my time to try reading it anymore.

If you mean the scenes from the first volume, yeah, that was awful [Made me cry actually] but her character was handled beautifully later on near the end, and made me love Rei even more than I already did.

@ Topic: There were many striking scenes from Eva for me, I tend to base what ones are the most striking based on the ones I end up thinking about most.

The number one for me would be when Unit 02 is pierced with the lance and Asuka' scream of pain, followed by her frantic and frustrated screaming as she pulls on the controls trying to get her Eva to move and you just know she's thinking, "No, not again I can't lose again not now". That scene always makes me feel so sick in my stomach; Asuka spent the series having her will and pride destroyed, only for it to be redeemed by the fact her mother was with her all along and a few moments later, she suffers defeat again and it costs them both their lives, fulfilling Asuka's fear and Kyoko's wish of having Asuka die with her.

Others include the Sandbox sequence, which is the saddest moment of all of Eva for me, when Lilith is dying and you hear Yui's words, Asuka's mind rape, when Yui makes contact with Shinji when he's trapped inside Leliel and when Misato breaks down crying upon hearing Kaji's message and Shinji is too frightened to go to her.

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:57 pm

it's hard for me to think because i just finished gurren lagann and both of its movies.
komm susser tod because i love that song.
Asuka's arm splitting.
zeruel shooting off 01's arm.
01 drifting off in space.
bardiel.
both of you, dance like you want to win.
congratulations.

for just memorable, i would say Shinji's hand drenched in elmer's glue. i imagine that striking up eva with a casual fan would say "oh evangelion, that emo kid jacked off to that red head right?"
i want rebuild

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:22 pm

View Original Postevaunit13 wrote:it's hard for me to think because i just finished gurren lagann and both of its movies.
komm susser tod because i love that song.
Asuka's arm splitting.
zeruel shooting off 01's arm.
01 drifting off in space.
bardiel.
both of you, dance like you want to win.
congratulations.

for just memorable, i would say Shinji's hand drenched in elmer's glue. i imagine that striking up eva with a casual fan would say "oh evangelion, that emo kid jacked off to that red head right?"

Ha, yeah it that scene alone makes it hard to tell people to watch it.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Aozora
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Aozora » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:45 am

Why are people mentioning doujinshi like it's cannon? "What's the most powerful scene in Eva?" "that one scene in Retake..."
I don't get it.

I guess the scene that had the strongest effect on my was Asuka's mind rape scene. There are lots of other disturbing scenes, but this one still makes me flinch watching it.

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:07 pm

View Original PostAozora wrote:Why are people mentioning doujinshi like it's cannon? "What's the most powerful scene in Eva?" "that one scene in Retake..."
I don't get it.

I guess the scene that had the strongest effect on my was Asuka's mind rape scene. There are lots of other disturbing scenes, but this one still makes me flinch watching it.

Well the thread says any Evangelion media and not necessarily canon material.

Ramiel
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:02 am

The most powerful moment for me was definitely Yui-sama going absolutely apeshit on Zeruel's hiney, crawling around on all fours and getting her munch on and whatnot. That episode was the one that really made me sit up and say "wait, whoa".

However, Asuka's whole fight from EoE comes in a close second. From 'oh my god, hi Mum! Hey, look, we can do anything!' to the MP Evas circling her (awesomely powerful image right there), to her kicking all nine butts in a row, to it being revealed as just a Hope Spot as they all come back to life and right up until the moment she bites the dust... heh, I can't even explain it coherently. But you know what I mean.
I frequently herp where I should derp. Also music.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:10 am

I'll second that, Ramiel-chan.

Asuka taking on the mass production units during "End of Evangelion". Not only is it the most incredibly animated fight sequence in the whole canon but it is also a cathartic moment. Asuka is finally blissfully happy and delighted. It is like... a tearjerker moment of badassery.

To emphasis how beautiful the animation is, I'd like to draw attention to the sense of weight and scale. You really get the sense that these are giant entities fighting it out. Every movement has that sense of weight. Evangelion is great for this, but so much anime (and animation in general) fails to capture this incredible sense of scale.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

SaikiEva
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SaikiEva » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:01 pm

Shinji during instrumentality struck me hardest. He wanted unambiguous truth. When all the souls entered Lilith and he got what he desired, after all those flashes of truth, he seemed extremely happy, never mind the fact that everyone hated him. The swing from the sandbox scene is back, and it's moving again! It was simply disturbing.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Fuyutsuki making Shinji look more like Yui.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

ThirdEye
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ThirdEye » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:52 pm

EoE when Shinji starts to reject Instrumentality, with the choking of Asuka and the somewhat cute yet sadistic drawings...idk... :shinchair:
The All Seeing

facespace
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby facespace » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:11 am

Honestly I found that the end of the sixth episode was the most powerful, Shinji telling Rei to smile was very touching and it is one of the few lovely moments in the show.
PEWPEWPEW

Tails_night
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tails_night » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:42 am

Hmmm Mine is either the part in episode 24, from the part where the music starts playing, I think Beethoven, during Kaworu's decent to dogma, then his fight with Shinji, to the end of that episode is probably memorable to me.

Then there's also the one where bardiel takes control of Unit-03, and then we hear "Activate the Dummy Plug!" form that to the scene where he crushes the Entry plug actually is one of the few scenes that both make me sad and piss me off in all of anime.

Then I think from after the explosion unit-01 has from it's ehhh "awakening" to about the end of the movie touches me. In a weird permanently-mentally scarring aicid trip way.

Idk really, there's a few of them between the manga's I've read and the shows and movie's I'm watched.
My heartbeat stumbles and my backbone crumbles, I feel, is it real, as the lynch mob doubles. They want blood and they'll kill for, drain me and they'll kneel for it. Burn me at the stake, met the devil, made the deal for it. Guillotine dreams, yeah, their guillotine gleams. The blood of their enemies, watching while they sentence me. Sentencing ceased, sentence deceased, and watch them bask in the glory of their holy disease.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby tehprognoob » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:56 pm

i love eva, but, at the same time, i wish I'd never seen it. everything after episode 18 makes me want to sit upin bed in the middle of the night and SCREAM. Asuka finding her mother again... that shit made me cry. Asuka dying made me wanna go and stick the lance of longinus up sadamto-san's ass. sandbox? i think i fast forwarded; it was just wtf until i read evageeks' interperatation. then i was like oh of course howd i miss it lol.

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:31 pm

View Original Posttehprognoob wrote:i love eva, but, at the same time, i wish I'd never seen it. everything after episode 18 makes me want to sit upin bed in the middle of the night and SCREAM. Asuka finding her mother again... that shit made me cry. Asuka dying made me wanna go and stick the lance of longinus up sadamto-san's ass. sandbox? i think i fast forwarded; it was just wtf until i read evageeks' interperatation. then i was like oh of course howd i miss it lol.

I figure no pain, no gain. The best stories are the ones which do effectively control you. However, I do regret watching episodes 20-24 all in one day last weekend. It toke me about two hours of just lying down with the lights off for me to finally pass out and sleep. The funky music they use for the mental trips just kept repeating endlessly, and I just felt to sad about those episodes. Next time I re watch, I'm going stick with one per day. Maybe per week would be better.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:03 pm

If there is a reason why I love Evangelion so much is because it's filled with powerful moments, however the next two are the ones that struck a chord with me.

The "Komm, Susser Tod" sequence in End of Evangelion. The movie was already leaving me in a mess and this was just too much for me. I had to leave the room for a while to recover and finish the rest.

The ending of "You can (not) advance" is a very close second. When I first saw it, I thought it was a damn great sequence, but the second time around, I was nearly shaking in my seat. A really, extremely powerful scene and a damn good way to end a film.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:08 pm

From what I have seen, its a tie between the live action scene in instrumentality and the komm susser todd scene. Both were moving both philosophically and theologicaly.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”