Fanservice in Evangelion: Good or Bad?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:51 pm

Yes, fanservice is acceptable. It's too bad that you don't enjoy it.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:08 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Like, even if there's no "purpose" to a sex scene, with the right style it can visually convey something that wasn't conveyed by the script.
True, and sometimes they can be there for pure aesthetic pleasure. Jan Dara is one of my favorite films of the last 10 years and even if it goes overboard on the sex it's filmed in such a sensually rapturous way I'd say it's (one of) the film's major strength.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:18 pm

On the issue of sex scenes, what say you all to how the sexual relationship between Ritsuko and Gendo? I mention them rather than Naoko and Gendo, because that was obvious, but, I would NEVER have guessed those two were at it off-screen if Ritsuko hadn't said so in 24 and, even looking back on all the 'hints' it was still so dubious, a really great example of how you can use sex off-screen for a major shocker on-screen.

I mention it in relation to this thread of course because it's a great example of non-fan service sex [Since it's gone on that tangent, it seems]

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:21 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:True, and sometimes they can be there for pure aesthetic pleasure. Jan Dara is one of my favorite films of the last 10 years and even if it goes overboard on the sex it's filmed in such a sensually rapturous way I'd say it's (one of) the film's major strength.

So it's just like...erotica? Great!
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:50 pm

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:So it's just like...erotica? Great!
I don't think I'd classify it as erotica, really. It's actually based of a classic, traditional Thai story. I actually think it walks that line between traditional plot/character driven film and erotica. It's certainly not in the same category as stuff like Emmanuelle, The Story of O, or the films of Tinto Brass or Russ Meyer. It's more romantic/sensual than pure erotica.
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:27 am

View Original PostHalicat wrote:On the issue of sex scenes, what say you all to how the sexual relationship between Ritsuko and Gendo? I mention them rather than Naoko and Gendo, because that was obvious, but, I would NEVER have guessed those two were at it off-screen if Ritsuko hadn't said so in 24 and, even looking back on all the 'hints' it was still so dubious, a really great example of how you can use sex off-screen for a major shocker on-screen.

I mention it in relation to this thread of course because it's a great example of non-fan service sex [Since it's gone on that tangent, it seems]

Exacly.
On screen Fan-service is open to speculation, but off screen fan-service is a mystery.
'Teh' I gues someone's gonna start complaining about that now.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:08 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Mm, you're right Yojimbo-kun. I was thinking about the writing, I guess. Like, even if there's no "purpose" to a sex scene, with the right style it can visually convey something that wasn't conveyed by the script.

In any case, my one point sums this up, if nothing more, it brings in the money of the pervert demographic. Marketing to pervs is a surefire money maker.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:28 pm

The majority of the sex scenes in Eva actually go quite far in subverting the fan-service nature of most conventional anime sex scenes. Not only do they have signifcant character development and narrative importance, but they aren't particularly revealing.

For instance let's take two scenes in EoE that are remarkably sexual.

[wkimg width=300]File:M-K_Sex_Scene_1.png[/wkimg]

This is the shot in which the majority of the sex scene takes place. The sounds are there, and there is some "imagery" there by the mise-en-scene... but with the exception of a couple of quick, still quite unrevealing shots, the fanboy pleasing visuals just aren't there.

[wkimg width=300]File:Asuka sex.png[/wkimg][wkimg width=300]File:Shinji sex.png[/wkimg]

And then in this scene we have Anno's biggest subversion of the hentai fanservice cliche -- it's the moment we've all been waiting for, Shinji and Asuka bumping hips! Oh... wait...

Episode 26' wrote wrote:Asuka:
Jeeez! I get so pissed off whenever I look at you!

Shinji:
Because I'm like you...?

Disturbed Fanboy wrote:I CAN'T FAP TO THIS.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:31 pm

I however can! =)

Check your scource though, that translation sounds iffy to me, possible, but iffy.
Interesting Quote:
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:38 pm

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:Like Misato and Kaji.

An on screen coitus is a double-edge sword. It depends on the previous character exposition and development. Most people fallaciously conclude that if people have sex, then they must sincerely love each other and not themselves.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:43 pm

I however can! =)

That's incredibly disturbing.

Check your scource though, that translation sounds iffy to me, possible, but iffy.

First question-- why? My "scource" was this:

http://nge.otaku.ru/scripts/episode25.htm

Is where I found the English Translation. It strikes me as fairly legitimate.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:End_of_Evangelion_Screenplays_(Episode_26%27)

Is the original version.

Asuka's line is pretty clear in both the text and the dialogue IMO. Shinji's is open to slight interpretation.

My moonspeak-fu is admittedly weak, but I honestly can't tell if the text is referring to "I'm" or "That's". My guess is "I'm" but I'm open to correction. Considering the context, however, and what that whole P3II instrumentality theme is trying to express, I'm inclined to use "I'm"

But if you're talking about the dub, we might as well end the conversation right here.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:47 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:That's incredibly disturbing.

First question-- why? My "scource" was this:

http://nge.otaku.ru/scripts/episode25.htm

Is where I found the English Translation. It strikes me as fairly legitimate.

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:End_of_Evangelion_Screenplays_(Episode_26%27)

Is the original version.

Asuka's line is pretty clear in both the text and the dialogue IMO. Shinji's is open to slight interpretation.

My moonspeak-fu is admittedly weak, but I honestly can't tell if the text is referring to "I'm" or "That's". My guess is "I'm" but I'm open to correction. Considering the context, however, and what that whole P3II instrumentality theme is trying to express, I'm inclined to use "I'm"

But if you're talking about the dub, we might as well end the conversation right here.

No, but at the same time I have seen some things horribly subbed as well. However it seems legitamate, or as legitimate as we can get unless we somehow got anno-sans original scripts. (hard copies.) Still, I may have a friend look into that. I don't know, my crazy fandom is subjective at times to the whims of my depression.
Interesting Quote:

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:00 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:[wkimg width=300]File:Asuka sex.png[/wkimg]

Fap to this: GET HELP! NAO!

This is why Shinji is messed up after all...

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:05 pm

That has got to be the most wrathful face I have ever seen.

You'd think she had posted in the Discussion forum.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:06 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:You'd think she had posted in the Discussion forum.

:lol:

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:06 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:That has got to be the most wrathful face I have ever seen. You'd think she had posted in the Discussion forum.
:rofl: That should be the new forum motto.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm fine with Fanservice.Eva is an excellent series and has some attractive females in it so Fanservice is allright with me.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:57 pm

Fanservice pampers my virility.

ReiIsTopTierWaifu
Embryo

When is fanservice bad?

•      
  •      

Postby ReiIsTopTierWaifu » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:50 pm

So when is fanservice too much in NGE, and rebuild, I think that in nge the scenes with Asuka and the Thermal Expansion jokes weren't bad, as well as the occasional nude shots with naked Rei, and top-hanging-too-low and showing there mammaries were pretty tame, but Mari in Rebuild was just stupid, especially how her introduction in 2.0 is talking about how her plugsuit is too tight, and when she first meets Shinji her introduction is her suffocating Shinji with her naughty bits, and it showing an ass-shot, as well as her climbing on Shinji to sniff him, for some reason, thoughts? :???:
Rei is the most beautiful cupcake in all of anime, I wish I could unwrap her and eat her, indulging in her perfect white cream

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: When is fanservice bad?

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:56 pm

Honestly, the only fanservice I have an issue with is the post-decapitation boob jiggle.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”