Anime gags and Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:49 pm

It fits well during the earlier episodes, but definitley not the latter half. Just imagine what it would be like if someone did one of those gags when Asuka gets mind raped or when Kaworu gets his head popped off.
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Hoshikawa-kun
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hoshikawa-kun » Sat May 01, 2010 4:21 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:There should be a Pen Pen Gaiden video game.

It's called Evangelion 2 :nyao:

As far as the gags go...honestly, it made me think of when I watched Tenchi Muyo when I was ten.
Most of the time I couldn't help but look at it and feel bad for Shinji. And that Asuka needs pills for her chronic facefaulting disorder. When your face starts turning into a hot air balloon, that's when you know you need to see a doctor...

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon May 03, 2010 1:07 pm

i love visual gags. i could never mind them, they're hilarious. :toothy: and they weren't there just to be stupid, they were well-placed in EVA. and thank god they were there, if the whole thing had been like the last few episodes, i might've given up on on it early on. personally, i love the lighter parts on their own.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:05 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:Let me say one thing: never compare Tex Avery to anime... his techniques in animation is far more crazy than anime does...

Oh yeah, tell me about it. Comparing common anime techniques to the workings of Tex Avery is like comparing a punch to gut to one to the penis; although they're in the same principle, the effects are completely different, so what was the point of the comparison in the first place?

Not much else to comment on the 'gags' of the first half though; what's left to comment about? Either you find them funny and add to the charm of the first half, or you just find the whole idea to be unnecessarily quirky (my opinion is somewhere in the middle). Nothing more, nothing less. :shrug:
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:57 am

I think that the weird and out of place stuff make NGE what it is.

You know, things like dancing Evas and stuff.

Oh yeah and OP, Hideaki Anno likes Tex Avery.
I think he said that in an interview somewhere.

Rei Makes You Go Splat
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Rei Makes You Go Splat » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:53 pm

I've always enjoyed the anime visual gags. They really add light-heartedness and innocence to what would otherwise be an incredibly dark and depressing series. You have to have some balance, you know.
Evangelion extends life. Evangelion expands consciousness.

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:41 pm

I think they tied-in well with the first lighter part and I find them are very funny~ They are indeed things that define the more "anime-like" side of evangelion and they later help in the sudden collapse of the world anno wants to express, by taking these gags and slaming them through the wall
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”