What was the saddest part of Eva for you?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Wed May 05, 2010 11:07 pm

All the parts that may have been sad were also intensely interesting so I didn't actually feel sad when watching them.

TheSophist
Embryo

Re: What was the saddest part of Eva for you?

•      
  •      

Postby TheSophist » Fri May 14, 2010 1:29 am

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:What was the saddest scene/theme/song/realization for you regarding the series proper?

Did a character's backstory seem slightly worse than the others to you? Did a scene tug at your heart? Did one particular moment feel more depressing to you?

For me, ironically enough, it's a tossup between Shinji and Asuka, considering both of their backstories tie into my greatest fear. (Which shall remain unsaid.)

What about the rest of you?

I think the most I felt sad for was ritsuko with gendo (moral judgements aside) that she was being used and was actually very depressed and miserable even though most of the time she doesn't show it

I suppose another way of saying it, is she never got to be in a loveing relationship. I felt sorry for her..

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Rei has the universal appeal of a kicked puppy.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Mon May 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Rei II's death.

...which is what my answer would be before a previous post reminded me of Kaji's post-mortem message left on Misato's answering machine. Thanks, Carla. Now I'm depressed.

OH GOD WHY. :shinchair:

broham513
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby broham513 » Tue May 25, 2010 10:38 am

Any scene involving Asuka's former family life. The sequence in which she walks in on her mother's hanging body makes me tear up.
ummmm butts.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue May 25, 2010 4:30 pm

^
|
|
Best.
Sig.
Ever.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Nightquest
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nightquest » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:49 pm

The scene where Shinji is holding his pillow and burst into tears. Really sad :P
"And extinguishing will now be the only way to diminish your sins,
This vortex can't be filled up again, a hole in space and time..."

Epica - "Blank Infinity"

IkariRei
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby IkariRei » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:24 am

Misato in ep.25 always gets me when she screams that the role she is playing in front of others is not her real self and she's always crying inside.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Rei has the universal appeal of a kicked puppy.

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:36 am

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:Thanks, Carla. Now I'm depressed.

glad to be of service. *tips hat off*

:wink:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

Eudon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eudon » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:25 pm

Asuka's confrontation with Arael. That really moved me

Yossarian
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yossarian » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:59 pm

The second time I watched the scene in EoE where Asuka finds out Unit-02 has the soul of her mother in it. As happy as she is (the happiest we ever see her) you know that not longer afterwards she is going to die in possibly the cruelest and most brutal way that any of the characters died.

Raiden
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Raiden » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:57 am

Rei's tears :boohoo:
Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis!

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:57 am

I looked over all the responses to the original question and I agree with just about everything that's been mentioned already. So much material from both the series and movies is so moving that it's difficult to zero in on just one scene that stands out as the most sad.

Nevertheless, I must admit I was somewhat surprised by how choked up I got during that brief flashback sequence (I think it was from episode 21, when SEELE kidnapped Fuyutsuki) where the audience gets to see Shinji as a small boy right before Yui is absorbed into Unit-01. I guess I couldn't help but think about what a cute, happy kid Shinji was right up until that point, as well as all the depression, confusion, loneliness, etc. that was awaiting him immediately following his mother's contact experiment.

Oddly, I had a similar reaction to seeing chibi-Rei for just a brief moment I think during episode 25. IIRC somewhere in the middle of teenage Rei's instrumentality monologue, a very small (perhaps Rei I) version of herself asks her why she just said what she did. As soon as that happened, I couldn't help but contemplate what a strange, sheltered and lonely existence young Rei must have had while growing up.

At first, I was a bit puzzled by my reaction to both of those moments. Perhaps it was simply because Shinji and Rei are the characters I relate to the most. The more I dwelled on it, however, I started to realize there might be something else going on.

Since I had spent the majority of my own adolescence in a fairly introverted state, dealing with bouts of depression and confusion about life in general, the teenage versions of Shinji and Rei didn't seem all that dysfunctional to me. On the other hand, the rather strong possibilty that they both were most likely neglected at a very young age, shown next to no affection from anyone and seldom experienced any social contact for years just doesn't sit right with me.

Sorry about the off topic tangent(s).

Eva 02
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 02 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:25 am

Kaji/Misato talk when they're drunk and walking home in "She longed for the kisses of others..." episode.
**Only in Japanese sub

Kaji's death (D&R)

When Gendou accepts his retribution for alienating Shinji (EoE)

Shinji kills Toji (manga/D&R/Series)
*Japanese version only

Rei rejects Gendou for Shinji (EoE)

Shinji opens Unit 00's plug simularly to Gendou and Shinji says "Just try smiling."

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:41 am

For me, it's when Misato listens to Kaji's last message. I get choked up every time, which is the norm when it comes to "listening to the last message" scenes, even of characters I know nothing about. I didn't even get choked up over Kaji's death itself, nor Misato's later, because of my belief that they'll resurrect. But you forget all that when you're in the moment. There's something about the grainy recorded voice of a loved one, saying something loving from beyond the grave, that tugs at my emotions.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:05 am

Monk-kun, I know what you mean! For me Misato's reaction scene, and especially Shinji watching and feeling powerless to do anything... that's the emotional gold. I find such scenes more effective than death scenes generally.

It is also very nicely animated, with a lot of movement.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:06 am

Kaji's death is kind of a funny situation in a way-- normally, death scenes are a lot more dramatic or harsh and elicit strong reactions out of me... but Kaji's death? Kaji's death was AWESOME. :chuckles: the dude redefined "going out in style"! i think i cheered. :tongue:

that's why i think the answering machine message was harder, at least for me. that's when it finally hit me: "oh man, he's really not coming back, is he? and he knew. he freakin' knew." ;_; and then Misato starts crying so desperately, and one doesn't even have time to rationalize what's going on before the sadness creeps up on you. :boohoo: and then we cut back to Shinji, too-- and i think what bothered me the most was that not only was he feeling impotent to help Misato, but Kaji was pretty much the closest thing to a male role model he had. it's all the more desperate because Misato's breakdown cuts down every hope he could've had for Kaji to be safe, and as such he can't find any way to comfort her. it's almost a vicious cycle of pain.

...and i'll shut up before i make myself cry, lol. :sweatdrop:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

pocketrocket
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby pocketrocket » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Saddest moment? It's a tossup between every time Shinji tried to get his father's attention and failed, and when he killed Kawaoru, or when his Eva maimed Touji with the Dummy Plug.

soda7777777
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby soda7777777 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:16 am

View Original PostBC Baron wrote:Since I had spent the majority of my own adolescence in a fairly introverted state, dealing with bouts of depression and confusion about life in general, the teenage versions of Shinji and Rei didn't seem all that dysfunctional to me. On the other hand, the rather strong possibilty that they both were most likely neglected at a very young age, shown next to no affection from anyone and seldom experienced any social contact for years just doesn't sit right with me.

Same thing for me. In fact, after watching EoE, I had another episode of my depression.
That whole movie made really depressed. I watched it over a few times right after I saw it, and the scene that made feel the most sad was the ending. I don't know about the rest of you, but I just feel like their is no hope at the end. I mean yes, people can come back. But it just would be impossible to go back to the way things once were.
"If, by groupie, you mean someone who follows the band around and hangs out at all the gigs, then I don't really have any of those. Being in a band that does well is almost like being a girl. " - Paul Banks

Radi
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Radi » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:01 pm

Seeing Asuka getting plummeted by the Lance of Longinus, seeing Rei II die..Seeing Akagi's mother strangle Rei to death. Seeing Misato being exploded. :(

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 pm

I lost it when Shinji had to go out back and shoot Pen pen.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”