Would you name your child(ren) after a EVA character?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Agentomega » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:16 am

I do say, I wish I had a more Japanese last name, but alas, as my dad is 100% Italian, I'm almost certain there's no *way* I can actually make an Eva name work with my last name... 'Course, I could pull a Gendo and take my wife's last name when I marry...
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Evangelion__x
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion__x » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:49 am

:lol: My aunt's name is Lilith.

Oh, and I would name my daughter Maya, too. That's a pretty normal name.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:38 am

Evangelion__x wrote:Oh, and I would name my daughter Maya, too. That's a pretty normal name.

I think that name is kinda gay. (lol)
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:11 am

Maya is practically an international name, since a girl could have that name in just about any part of the world. I know this for a fact.

Fazmotron wrote:I think that name is kinda gay. (lol)

:thumbsdown:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:46 pm

Bad taste?
Fair enough.
(twas only a joke)
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:53 am

Balls no. First of all, those Japanese names would contrast rather shockingly with their Western first and last names (I couldn't see myself allowing anything other than a middle name to be a direct reference to a TV show), plus it would imply that I'm a massive fanboy (which I'm really not...)

Although..."Rachel" is a nice name, and it would be a very subtle nod to NGE (though there's no way that I'd spell it Reichel, because that's just stupid).
Gamer_2k4

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Also known as Cowboy Dev.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:49 pm

Gamer_2k4 wrote:Although..."Rachel" is a nice name, and it would be a very subtle nod to NGE (though there's no way that I'd spell it Reichel, because that's just stupid).

Wait... What?

If I have a daughter, she gets to be Adam. Boy's names are gradually being neutered, so might as well strike at the heart. Might even start a trend!

Son gets to be "Sachiel" for the character-building perpetual torture of (A) having almost everyone who first sees his name in print pronounce it wrong, and then needing to correct them, and (B) having almost everyone who first hears his name not know how to spell it later, and then needing to correct them.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gamer_2k4
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:55 pm

So you're saying it's not pronounced Sa-chee-ul?
Gamer_2k4

Captain_Morgan
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Captain_Morgan » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:12 pm

My first child will be named Unit 00, the second will be Unit 01, and so on and so forth.

Oh wait, I'm not fucking crazy.

Hedphelym
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hedphelym » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:32 pm

Reichu wrote:Wait... What?

If I have a daughter, she gets to be Adam. Boy's names are gradually being neutered, so might as well strike at the heart. Might even start a trend!

Son gets to be "Sachiel" for the character-building perpetual torture of (A) having almost everyone who first sees his name in print pronounce it wrong, and then needing to correct them, and (B) having almost everyone who first hears his name not know how to spell it later, and then needing to correct them.

One of my sister's former students was this little kid named Zachiel (sometimes it's actually spelled with an "S"). It's a kinda decent name compared to the names I usually hear from that place.

As far as naming my kids (if I have any) after one of the characters, that's pretty much a no-go.
"Sir, there's a retarded dog carrying a bee's nest headed straight for us. What are your orders?

Uh, i dunno, kick it or something..."

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:48 pm

Reichu wrote:Son gets to be "Sachiel" for the character-building perpetual torture of (A) having almost everyone who first sees his name in print pronounce it wrong, and then needing to correct them, and (B) having almost everyone who first hears his name not know how to spell it later, and then needing to correct them.

Strangely, this has been the story of my life since I left primary education.

Captain_Morgan wrote:My first child will be named Unit 00, the second will be Unit 01, and so on and so forth.

As a mathematician, my first instinct is similar. Names proceed as "Alpha", "Beta", "Gamma" and so on. As an applied mathematician, I know I'm too short on letters as it is.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:52 am

Gamer_2k4 wrote:So you're saying it's not pronounced Sa-chee-ul?

Nope. It's Hebrew in origin and hasn't been popular enough, I assume, to get its pronunciation mangled by the masses (a la Michael, and even Adam). If you don't want to do that throaty "kh" thing, pronouncing the "ch" as a "k" will suffice. And, not, that last "e" isn't a schwa.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:05 am

Reichu wrote:
Gamer_2k4 wrote:So you're saying it's not pronounced Sa-chee-ul?

Nope. It's Hebrew in origin and hasn't been popular enough, I assume, to get its pronunciation mangled by the masses (a la Michael, and even Adam). If you don't want to do that throaty "kh" thing, pronouncing the "ch" as a "k" will suffice. And, not, that last "e" isn't a schwa.

It's spelled (almost) like this: Za-kee-el (the last E is read almost like the one in "end". Like "Eh?! You did what?")
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:10 am

Why do you suggest that the S would be pronounced like a Z? Hebrew has separate sounds for S and Z, doesn't it?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:12 am

As a mathematician, my first instinct is similar. Names proceed as "Alpha", "Beta", "Gamma" and so on. As an applied mathematician, I know I'm too short on letters as it is.

I wouldnt name a kid alpha, reminds me of that damned power rangers robot. Beta sounds like on ok name though, Gamma makes me think of frogs though.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Natsuka_Chie
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Natsuka_Chie » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:16 am

Reichu wrote:Why do you suggest that the S would be pronounced like a Z? Hebrew has separate sounds for S and Z, doesn't it?

Ups x.x my mistake (Z is too close to S on keyboard dammit).

it's Sa-kee-el

edit: I'd like to add, I read it Sa-kee-el, but depending on the hebrew letter used, it can be read as S or Z (or an in-between, like "dzud" or something like that). Most sites with angel names say that it is spelled like this: Sach-EE-El.

if you guys want to check: http://www.archangels-and-angels.com/aa_pages/correspondences/angel_planet/archangel_sachiel.html
Asuka's not a bitch, she just denies her innocence in a bitchy way.
Sites I'm in: Deviantart|XFire
Quotes:
"Yesterday, I had the most TERRIFYIN' experience! ...Last night, I was all alone in my room... when outta nowhere... CAME THE SMELL OF A FART THAT WASN'T MINE!"
"The things I possess are my life and soul. I'm a vessel for my heart"
"God isn't home. He's on vacation at Vegas."

"Don't forget. Always, somewhere, someone is fighting for you. As long as you remember them, you're not alone."

Adekis
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Adekis » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Always mispronounce Sachiel? I've always pronounced it correctly, though I didn't know that until right now...

I would not name my future children after Eva characters, even if it was considered not-weird, for a very simple reason. Naming kids after other people draws attention away from their namesake, for example, I wouldn't name my son Harry after my grandfather, because it would get to the point where thinking about Gramps reminds me of my son, but not the other way around. It would defeat the purpose of naming your child after someone else.

It might take longer with an anime character's name, but I don't want to even risk the name "Shinji" bringing to mind anybody except for a certain Eva pilot.
"Why do you foolish Lilin assume you can control me? 'Cause you can't control me!" - My take on the relationship between SEELE and Kaworu
"[Eva] is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little." - Hideaki Anno

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:00 pm

I wouldn't want to associate my own children with the traits of the characters in Eva.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:36 pm

Ambrosia wrote:I'd totally name a girl Eva, though.

And your son WALL-E?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”