How did Kaworu become so popular?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Tabris Ramiel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tabris Ramiel » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:35 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:It is considered quite the mystery how Kaworu Nagisa could become such a prominent part of the franchise, continuity and merchandise with his performance in just 13 minutes on screen in the mid-'90s. For comparison: Anthony Hopkins won Best Actor in '91 for his performance as Hannibal Lecter a character who's only on-screen for 16 minutes in the film he's from - despite the fact that he's neither the lead protagonist of lead antagonist (although I don't know how you qualify a 'Supporting Actor'). It still holds the record for highest award for shortest performance, I think. THAT guy got a whole franchise. Give Kaworu his due, I say.

It's usually the characters that don't get much screen time that are some of the most memorable, especially if they are charming and have wise words that stick. I agree completely o:

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:03 pm

I think it's because of how much he affected Shinji despite appearing for only 1 episode. He forms this very powerful bond with Shinji during a time where Shinji is almost completely broken, because of that the audience feels for Shinji and also grows to enjoy Kaworu.

It makes his death so much more powerful as well, as both the audience, not just Shinji, are broken.
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

StratoSakuya...AF
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby StratoSakuya...AF » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:21 am

View Original PostDIDDY wrote:Kaworu embodies unconditional love and acceptance. I don't know if that's what made him popular, but that's why I like him.

This. In a series where Shinji is pretty much reviled for being just a confused child, someone finally comes in and tries to reassure him.

Otherwise, Evangelion would be depressing. More than it currently is.
SO THERE I WAS BEING KUBO, WHEN THE EDITORS CAME IN AND WERE LIKE "YOU NEED TO DO MORE THAN PANELS OF WHITE PILLARS AND BLACKGROUNDS!" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" SO THEY WERE LIKE "WELL HOW ABOUT SOMEBODY DYING?" AND I WAS LIKE "FUCK YOU, I'M KUBO!" AND I MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF MONEY. I LOVE MY LIFE.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:05 am

View Original PostDream wrote:Such an insightful reply, sasuga EGF.

Best reply 2014. :wink:

Eva_Sam
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eva_Sam » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:38 am

He's just a very memorable for so many reasons. Like the charm in his smile and the way he talked. One of the big reasons I liked him was how big he had an impact on both Shinji and the series itself in only 1 episode and that death was definitely something. And yeah yaoi fan girls are also a huge contributor to his popularity just like any gay anime character.
"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire." - Rei Ayanami

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”