Funny Misconceptions

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Sammaeloo
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Funny Misconceptions

•      
  •      

Postby Sammaeloo » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:53 pm

What are some funny misconceptions you used to have about things in the series?

For a while I didn't know that the nerve clips were built like headphones. I used to think that they just took the two things and punched them into the skin on their head. After they were done using them I thought they pulled them out of their head and kept them until they needed to be used again. I thought that was another one of the reasons why Shinji didn't like piloting. I was also confused as to why Asuka liked to walk around with what were basically scalp piercings.

Any others?
Seize the day.....by the throat....
I hate mcdonalds because their mascot is a creepy spooky clown who looks like he smells funny. Seriously every time I see ronald I think he's secretly some sort of rapist who turns people into hamburgers. Also their food sucks. -Defectron
Our plumbing is messed up and my dad will not call anybody because he's a cheap asshole. Fuck you old man, fucking call someone. Some of us want to stay sanitary. -backseatjesus

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:03 pm

That sounds like it would be... painful.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:28 pm

I remember someone got Misato's near-catatonic trauma post-Second Impact mixed up with Asuka's reaction to her mother's suicide. I wondered if the person who fudged this just *wished* that Asuka had shut up for two years. :: laughs::

Another Asuka-related one: until I actually *watched* the series, I always thought the A10 clips she's always wearing were just weird-looking barrettes.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:33 pm

I'm guessing my level of confusion while I was watching EoE for the first time would've been funny from someone else's perspective. I was soo confuddled!

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:40 pm

There was the one time that I thought that that Rei and Toji started dating in Ep. 18 (I think, correct me if I'm wrong, when Toji mentioned something about Shinji to her and she got all red).
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:28 pm

Since it was only vaguely referred to in the first episode, and that it was "frozen", I thought the EVAs themselves were in part some sort of "lost" technology, and that EVA-00 would turn out to be the most kickass Eva of them all.

... well, at least it had a decent paintjob. :smokin:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:32 pm

I thought those were put on like hair clips (That they were being firmly held on by the pilot's hair)
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:52 pm

The bit of crazy information that brought me to the monkey site for the first time back in the day was someone having on a web site that Kaji survived the series and lead the attack on the geofont in eoe.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

frogkun
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby frogkun » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:21 am

I think I was pretty much befuddled by the entire series, actually.
Every time those Gainax dudes officially release something, it contradicts with what they last said. Conclusion: I'd hate to be an Eva otaku.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:42 am

I use to think Unit one was made from Adam, just like the other evas.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:27 am

child of Lilith wrote:I use to think Unit one was made from Adam, just like the other evas.

It is, it's a composite of both that and Lilith, not sure which is the "majority" in that, I believe it was decided to be Adam considering "she" keeps the general shape of the other Evas. :smokin:
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:04 am

Alaska Slim wrote:It is, it's a composite of both that and Lilith, not sure which is the "majority" in that, I believe it was decided to be Adam considering "she" keeps the general shape of the other Evas. :smokin:

Never heard this one before, but that is incorrect. Unit-01 "was generated directly from the body of Lilith" (from the wiki). So, no Adam in Unit-01 that is known of.

Also theres these two pics, one from the show, and one a fan art based on the first pic, which show Unit-01 being grown from Lilith.
[URL=http://img35.imageshack.us/i/lilithunit01.jpg/]Image[/URL][URL=http://img20.imageshack.us/i/lilithandunit01.jpg/]Image[/URL]
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:02 am

MatrixRefugee wrote:Another Asuka-related one: until I actually *watched* the series, I always thought the A10 clips she's always wearing were just weird-looking barrettes.

haha, I thought that she had barrettes that looked just like A10 clips :lol:

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:20 am

Fazmotron wrote:Also theres these two pics, one from the show, and one a fan art based on the first pic, which show Unit-01 being grown from Lilith.
[URL=http://img35.imageshack.us/i/lilithunit01.jpg/]Image[/URL][URL=http://img20.imageshack.us/i/lilithandunit01.jpg/]Image[/URL]

Also, most of the body of EVA-01 is painted with the same tint of purple of Lilith's mask, as we see clearly in Episode 24.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:52 am

Fazmotron wrote:
Alaska Slim wrote:It is, it's a composite of both that and Lilith, not sure which is the "majority" in that, I believe it was decided to be Adam considering "she" keeps the general shape of the other Evas. :smokin:

Never heard this one before, but that is incorrect.

Read here, it's not nearly as straightforward as you claim, even the picture does not deter the theory.

The "wiki" also bears mention to this :coffee::

Like Adam, the Angels and all Evangelions, but unlike Lilith and Lilin, Eva-01 possesses a core containing the Eva's soul.

Eva-01 may be a genetic clone of Lilith with the body form and core of an Adam-based Eva.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:43 pm

Alaska Slim's right in regards to Eva-01 by the way. Lilith was just Eva-01's surrogate, it doesn't change the fact that it (the Eva itself) is from Adam like the other units and Angels are.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Fazmotron

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Righto, as I said I hadn't heard that one before. I thought it would be straightforward, Unit-01 from Lilith, the rest from Adam, but ofcourse I forgot that NOTHING IN EVA IS STRAIGHTFORWARD.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mongoosedog » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:25 pm

GasmaskAvenger wrote:I thought those were put on like hair clips (That they were being firmly held on by the pilot's hair)

yeah same

for a while i thought it was Misato that killed Kaji
I have no signature!

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:20 am

Xard wrote: haha, I thought that she had barrettes that looked just like A10 clips :lol:

Be careful what you wish for, Xard. Someone somewhere will produce fashion accessories in the shape of A10 clips.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:48 am

Sharaz Destler wrote:
Xard wrote: haha, I thought that she had barrettes that looked just like A10 clips :lol:

Be careful what you wish for, Xard. Someone somewhere will produce fashion accessories in the shape of A10 clips.

Too Late
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”