WTF is with Kaworu and Asuka (shipping)?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

Re: So uh... WTF is with Kaworu and Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:08 am

I guess they sort look of interesting together in part because they have some outward similarities: both of them are light colored, lean and somewhat angular looking characters (at least when compared to Rei and Shin), and they both are sort of seen as seme type characters...but Asuka just isn't Kaworu's type though.
The Eva Monkey wrote: ...You've obviously never seen Death, or read Sadamoto's manga...
Uh, didn't Asuka sort of hate him in the Manga, and Kaworu didn't seem to care for her either (he was completely unsympathetic and making all sorts of sardonic comments when she was getting raped). I can't really see the manga coupling working out Kaworu didn't show any sort of affection towards her at all, in fact he seemed to resent the attention Shinji paid to the other pilots.

That said the old draft for episode 24 did have Asuka show definite attraction towards Kaworu so it turns out K/A isn't baseless at all. Of course she ends up hating him for taking away things(EVA/Puppy-kun) from her, and Kaworu's even more gay in those scripts so he only acts intimate with Shinji.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:26 am

DEMOLITION D+ wrote:prominent and often the pairing between those two is.
That is some strange new meaning of "prominent and often" with which I was previously unacquainted.

I can count the fics with this pairing that I've found on the fingers of one hand, and I've seen but one A/K doujin (as opposed to official spin-off stuff); and the fan-art is similarly thin on the ground. There are just two of us here with A/K avatars, which is a most ever.

When did Kaworu and Asuka even partly coincide with each other, other than the time he hijacked her mama?

In the majority of the fics (2 of them), A/K arises when Shinji is out of action at the equivalent of episode 24, and Asuka is left as the primary pilot -- leading necessarily to a different brief but tragic romance. The official print material instead takes bigger liberties with the anime storyline than the fics do.

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:37 am

DEMOLITION D+ wrote:I mean, if anything I could understand ReixKaworu fan fics popping up all over the place since AsukaxShinji are like the known duo and Rei's all by herself and they're both angelic and whatnot

No, no, no, donuts, no. If anything else, Shinji and Asuka will eventually kill each other in a bloody mess and Rei and Kaworu...well, Rei just doesn't plain like him, for reasons unknown.

@DatDude: So you're offended that the Gay Angel is all over your Asuka, huh? Maybe I'll write a fic where Kaworu holds a plasma gun to her face then?
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:45 am

Vegeta 20XX wrote:Maybe I'll write a fic where Kaworu holds a plasma gun to her face then?

:headscratch: Uh... is that some kind of twisted Sci-fi innuendo or something?

Anyway, I could of sworn there was a third person running around with that kind of avatar, thought you were starting your own guild or something... caused me to have horrid flashbacks to the Evamade "Neko army". :scared:
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:02 am

DEMOLITION D+ wrote:When did Kaworu and Asuka even partly coincide with each other, other than the time he hijacked her mama?

Other than the Sadamoto manga, D&R, the spin-offs, the Games, Draft 1 for ep.24, all of which have already been mentioned?

Why, in the drama from the Evangelion Addition CD!

I don't really ship them together (though her mild and conflicted infatuation(?) with him in Draft 1 is kind of cute...) but their interaction cr@cks me up! :lol:
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:35 am

LOL, shipping. the only instance in this universe where "but they look so pretty together!" is a politically correct argument. :chuckles: perhaps not very convincing and/or valid, but...

as far as K/A goes, though, i don't particularly think it's "prominent" O_o it seems like a rather small niche, actually. it's just that eva monkey-sama and tines-san are sort of omnipresent around here, so it seems that way ;) people do ship it though, for varied reasons...

1. the aforementioned "they look pretty together!" or "hot," or "sexy," or any variation of it (they do look pretty together, IMO. i don't ship them but i have to admit they have some gorgeous fanart :crush:).

2. people think Shinji/Asuka would cause the world to implode and just to be contrary they decide to root for a pairing that seems even more contrary, in an "i'd ship anything before shipping S/A!" way.

3. people actually like the fact that the pairing seems to be rather contrary. opposites attract and all that?

personally, like i said above i don't ship them. i don't care much for kaworu and if i have to pair Asuka with anyone other than Shinji, i prefer kensuke or touji. aaaaand i generally can't imagine their direct interactions as anything other than kaworu finding it tremendously entertaining to psychoanalyze her and Asuka finding it tremendously entertaining to think of all the ways she can punch/slap/kick that annoying smile off his face...

however, i think it could be an interesting possibility given the fact that they have so much going against them. it's a challenge: you know, if one can write a decent fanfic where it seems at least plausible that they could end up together, it would be a major triumph for the author. :shrug:

@legendary-- haha, thanks for that digimon flashback! aahhh, those were the days. it was such a complicated fandom to ship in :lol: it was the one case where i was completely sure my main ship wouldn't ever happen in canon... and then it did. :rolleyes: lol, sometimes i think the TOEI people were bigger trolls than anno himself. :smirk:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:09 am

@ EvaMonkey

How can you be into this show for so long and not know what a creators bible is? Why am I the only one I've ever seen on this board that brings it up?

Deep breath

will not go into rage over that fucking videogame again grrrrrr!

Vegeta 20XX wrote:@DatDude: So you're offended that the Gay Angel is all over your Asuka, huh? Maybe I'll write a fic where Kaworu holds a plasma gun to her face then?

Go nuts I'm just being cheeky
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:12 am

While we are at it let's talk about Fuyutsuki/Asuka, Pen-Pen/Gendo, Shoryu/Shikinami, and Kaworu/Kitten.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:14 am

Joseph the PRPD wrote:While we are at it let's talk about Fuyutsuki/Asuka, Pen-Pen/Gendo, Shoryu/Shikinami, and Kaworu/Kitten.

Thread split please!

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:17 am

I was only kiddin'. There was a thread about batshit crazy pairings and it got locked.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:57 am

Ok back on topic

Kaworu meets Asuka

Asuka: " I smell by your sent that you are weak! "

The red head began tearing at this jugular with her teeth blood spurting everywhere as he spoke in confusion.

Kaworu: " But Shinji is meant to kill me in an act of divine sacrifice ! "

Asuka: " I talked to God on twitter, he said its me now! Killing an angel without an eva will do wonders for my lagging self confidence! "

Kaworu: " .. . . Ok then . . . . "

Kaworu dies and she eats his heart in an errie eva 1 like fashion.

And to all the children congratulations!

Then End

Adekis
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Adekis » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:03 pm

I'm sure Kaworu would buy that.
"God said it's me now"...
That's absurd.

I know he isn't that dumb. Naiive, perhaps, but not dumb.
"Why do you foolish Lilin assume you can control me? 'Cause you can't control me!" - My take on the relationship between SEELE and Kaworu
"[Eva] is a story where the main character witnesses many horrors with his own eyes, but still tries to stand up again.
It is a story of will; a story of moving forward, if only just a little." - Hideaki Anno

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Adekis wrote:...
I'm sure Kaworu would buy that.
"God said it's me now"...
That's absurd.

I know he isn't that dumb. Naiive, perhaps, but not dumb.

...here.

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:17 pm

Kaworu always reminded me of the Watcher Angels mentioned at the beginning of Genesis chapter 6: he's curious about human experience in all its forms, so left to his own devices, he'd probably charm/hit on anyone, Asuka included. I doubt she'd reciprocate, or at least, if she did, it would give Kaworu an understanding of this thing called "pain from getting hit where it hurts and slapped upside the head, as well as having a migraine from her screaming at him".
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:21 pm

carla wrote:if one can write a decent fanfic where it seems at least plausible that they could end up together

That's my cue... Chapter 10 is the episode 24 analog, only in this variation, Shinji is the one of the original three who is no longer piloting.

Also Daughter of Elysium, which has a different route to having Shinji out of the frame come episode 24.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

DEMOLITION D+
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby DEMOLITION D+ » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:30 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
DEMOLITION D+ wrote:When did Kaworu and Asuka even partly coincide with each other, other than the time he hijacked her mama?

You've obviously never seen Death, or read Sadamoto's manga, or Girlfriend of Steel 2 manga, or Ikari Shinji Raising Project manga, or Gakuen Datenroku, or played Evangelion 2, or Girlfriend of Steel 2, or Shinji Ikari Raising Project. Not to mention Rebuild, or the original plot outline for the TV series.

Just because Asuka's doped up by the time Kaworu shows up in the TV anime, doesn't mean the coupling is completely invalid. Also, welcome to the internet and the power of fantasy.

They have a big ol' hotness force field together. It's sexy. Or... as sexy as fictional underage asian cartoons can be.

LMAO, right.

And those aren't canon, so those are just further showing off how odd it is for them to be together (if they ever do come together in any of those...) BTW, not sure why you even mentioned Rebuild. Kaworu has nothing to do with Asuka in RoE.

But alright, alright guys I see that my question shalt not be answered. No one knows why these pairings are showed so often. Some people just like it. End of discussion :/
The Fate of Destruction, is Also the Joy of Rebirth

Kaji has cute melons.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:06 pm

DEMOLITION D+ wrote:if they ever do come together in any of those...
They are on stage together in ALL of those; the anime is the odd one out here.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:13 pm

DatDude wrote:...

Kaworu dies and she eats his heart in an errie eva 1 like fashion.

Ah, I almost forgot but Kaworu and Asuka definitely do have an extremely intimate scene in canon: The Harpies from Air were all controlled by Kaworu's, and Asuka spent a good amount of time in close physical contact with them before they reversed the situation and jabbed their rather phallic rods into her, and then ripped her open and ate her piece by piece. I know that isn't exactly romantic material but the scene was very personal and did contain some sort of idea of violation, and those Harpies were all attached to Kaworu clones, so it really was K/A from a point of view. Actually it's rather interesting that Kaworu who's almost unnaturally beautiful was attached to disgusting monsters that look and act like they came out of /d/
Although I probably should note that as soon as Shin-chan came out and shreiked they all forgot about Asuka and turned their atention to Shin, and threw their phallic spears into his face. :shinji_boohoo:

And another less intimate but non creepy movie scene involves their concert: Asuka was the second chair violin and unlike what would normaly be expected from her she didn't complain about it, she was rather snarky about Kaworu's tardiness though.
Mr. Tines wrote:That's my cue... Chapter 10 is the episode 24 analog, only in this variation, Shinji is the one of the original three who is no longer piloting.

Also Daughter of Elysium, which has a different route to having Shinji out of the frame come episode 24.
I did like your version of 24 (especialy the bed allusion), it doesn't seem at all unlike the characters, and it sounds like what would have happened if Asuka were the protagonist (And Kaworu wasn't exclusively homosexual) .
(And it sort of did happen EVA2 actualy had a possible K/A version of 24 although Kaworu seemed more polite than anything else) But I wonder if this means that as soon as Kaworu's dead she might not try and make herself feel better by molesting Shinji, the infatuation paralell would still be around.

But exactly what happens to Shinji in Elysium? I'm to lazy to bother looking through it.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:03 am

Synapsid wrote:sounds like what would have happened if Asuka were the protagonist
In the context, she is.

But exactly what happens to Shinji in Elysium?
Arael happens, and he goes on to Asuka's route and vice versa (though that one then ignores anything after episode 24, i.e. the whole point of the exercise).

Rock-Slash
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rock-Slash » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:02 am

Its better to create a new relationship than to twist and mutate another one, if you know what I mean. :)

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”