Evangelion Bluray Re-release

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:29 am

Ornette wrote:The US individual release of the DC episodes came on 2 DVDs with 6 episodes each, the 2nd DVD has the DC and On-Air of 24, plus the Video/LD and On-Air of the last 2 episodes of the TV series.

Ah, so there are different versions for those... I was wondering. Do you know where I can find additional info on the differences between them?
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Evafan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Evafan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:20 am

We're not even talking about a potential blue ray release anymore.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:44 am

An evangelion blu-ray rerelease is just fine, reanimating it seems a bit redundant, wouldn't you say? as long as it has 1080p quality like This video.

And thanks oOoOoOo, my posting has been rather ignorant lately.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:40 am

^ 1080p rerelease of EoE would be shiny *3* (without reanimating it, I mean - even though I admit I would like to see the Final B animated as an extra... )

:EDIT:
To add confusion to confusion, it seems the Disc menu of my Japanese release of NGE has the double version episodes listed as On Air and Video -

On Air = polished TV version with bits lifted from DC

Video = DC!
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Lui
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lui » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:45 pm

I'd prefer it if they reanimated the entire thing, to be honest. It's a great series as it is, and with the animation of Rebuild 2 it could be the the best old series around.

If I watched the entire series of that my face would probably be stuck as :gendo_kimura: permanently.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 1000 character limit. Images, quotes, and code tags are not allowed in Signatures.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:15 pm

The animation of the original series is good as is. Death and Rebirth has re-animated scenes.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:28 pm

Just to be contrary, I hereby propose the entire series be reanimated in the style of the elevator scene. Maybe add some powerpoint slide transitions here and there for a more modern touch....though the cash-register sound fx accompanying some of them might could be a bit too honest :shinji_blush:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:01 am

What is wrong with people today?

No. Reanimating Neon Genesis from the ground up is a horrible idea. The hand made look, flaws and all, helps give Eva that unique look it holds to this day. Most likely you all fell in love with Eva not because it's the best animated show around (almost any anime released in the past 8 years can outperform Eva in the shiny visuals dept shot for shot) but because it told a great story. It doesn't need to be redone with shiny CG helicopters in the background to make it a worthwhile experience. I mean in 10 years you'd then have people wanting Neon Genesis to be redone with 2020 era flashy animation.

I mean does anyone like the Star Wars Special Editions? You look at those things and the newly added CG effects look just like what they are, out of place things spliced in there.

Reanimating Neon Genesis would be pointless cause so much of the show is based off of stillness. So I so BOO to anyone who wants to rob Neon Genesis of it's class.

Hell, you have Rebuild. You don't need a ReDraw of Neon Genesis.

I just shutter to think what Picasso work would look like if he kept updating it to make it fit modern times. Or if Scorsese redid Mean Streets, kept the same story, dialogue, etc but added in modern day CG, cell phones, and product placement.

Tlaloc
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tlaloc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:35 pm

I want A.

That is the remastered version with new scenes that came later.

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:30 pm

If they touched up the animation, but didn't outright redo much (if any) of it (think RoE 1.11 compared to 1.0, or the Death scenes compared to TV scenes) then I would be a happy man.

EoE is already beautiful, so it doesn't need any new bits for a BD release.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:21 am

SeanTucker wrote:EoE is already beautiful, so it doesn't need any new bits for a BD release.

What about replacing the abominable EGK with the real EVA-02? :toothy:

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:17 pm

ath wrote:
SeanTucker wrote:EoE is already beautiful, so it doesn't need any new bits for a BD release.

I think the redesigned EVA-02 fits better, really. One of the underlying themes of the MP Eva sequence is that Asuka is, frankly, no better than the MP Evas (and Angels, by extension) herself; they use the exact same berserker tactics and they're equally brutal and ruthless.

Having 02's design look more like the harpies makes a fair bit of sense when you take this into account. It would have been less jarring had they planned for this ahead and used the design in the series.
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:52 pm

ath wrote:

Huh. I never noticed the design change when I originally viewed EoE.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

BEsERk EVA01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby BEsERk EVA01 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:30 am

It would be nice to see a blu-ray "remastering" of the original Eva series...but I would be interested to see the effects of what Blu-ray can do to it.

720p is completely fine for me, I can't tell a difference between 1080p and 720p when I was watching HD channels at a friend's house.
>>My User Profile On EvaPedia<<
>>Per Ardua ad Astra, Through Struggle To The Stars<<
>>Nothing<<

Fredrick2003
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredrick2003 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:10 pm

I think the series is fine as it is, I don't think it needs any more cleaning up.

I will be buying the Rebuild movies on Blu Ray though, assuming they are any good, I still haven't gotten the chance to see 1.0 and 2.0. All the screenings are 6+ hours away (now, I love Eva, but I am lazy).

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Don't ask them to re-animate the original Eva. They might end up adding lots of "Brought to you by CostCO", "Brawndo" and "Buttfuckers" ads. (if you catch my reference).
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Fredrick2003
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredrick2003 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:18 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:Don't ask them to re-animate the original Eva. They might end up adding lots of "Brought to you by CostCO", "Brawndo" and "Buttfuckers" ads. (if you catch my reference).

Idiocracy was hilarious.

But I also heard that in Rebuild 1.0 there was an absurd amount of product placement. This was a random Internet fellow but was it really that bad?

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:28 pm

In all seriousness, I would be pretty excited if there was a reanimated version of the original series, keeping the storyline intact but overhauling the visuals.

I don't think Eva is a bad-looking show by any means, but Rebuild's gorgeous visuals really spoiled me. In addition to just how great it looks in general, there are also some things like (if I remember right) some cheap still-shot-silhouettes-with-voiceovers scenes from episode 6 being replaced by a scene that serves the same story purpose but with a more interesting setting and more visible onscreen motion.

And on the subject of episode 6, some of the facial expressions shown in it (particularly Shinji in the final scene) are absolutely painful to watch. IMO it would have been nice to have had those shots improved years ago when they did the New Production Cut stuff on some of the later episodes.

Does Eva need an animation overhaul to be watchable nowadays? Of course not, or else we wouldn't be here. That goes without saying. And yes, it'd likely not be worth the cost needed to essentially produce the same show again.

But I'd buy the hell out of it :P

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:43 pm

Actually, it will need a news transfer at least if we want to be able to watch it in decent quality. HD will end up taking over and playing the old DVDs would honestly look terrible. There should for sure be a new transfer for HD.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:53 pm

Dont some hd player scale normal stuff up?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”