How would you best describe Shinji Ikari?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Rock-Slash
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rock-Slash » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 pm

A depressed kid, a good cellist and a quitter.

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:00 pm

Shallow, Self-loathing, and a bitch....JUST MY TYPE! :woohoo:
Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:12 pm

A lonely kid who just has a lot issues and sometimes is scared of his own shadow.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:50 pm

oOoOoOo wrote:
Guyver Spawn wrote: He is almost bosnian but not on the Superman Prime level though.

Translate!

Read DC's Infinite Crisis. He was the sole remaining survivor of an entire universe, ridden with more angst than your average petulant teenager, convinced that nothing in the universe was ever his fault, and kryptonite had no effect on him. He ran around crying like a baby and dismembering people until the Flashes kicked his ass into the "SPEED FORCE!"

NickFury90’s right; compared to that dude, Shinji’s machismo incarnate.

But if I weren't comparing Shinji to Superboy Prime, I'd have to describe Shinji as a marginally dysfunctional adolescent with all the odds stacked against him who (for most of the series) lacked the willpower to act. He was given next to nothing to work with, had little incentive to use what he had, and expected to perform regardless of these obstacles because he was told that the human race depended on him. Oh, and he cracked under the strain of being unwillingly appointed the messiah when all he really wanted to do was get laid. As a hero, he's pathetic, because he's just too realistic.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:30 pm

The post above me sums thing just about right. At least Shinji does not go on a total emo rampage and kills half of the major people of the story line like SMP does. Shinji is Brock Sampson compare to him :tongue:.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:31 pm

I would describe Shinji as a fairly good representation of a normal teenage boy. Obviously not everyone is like him, but the state he was in is a pretty common state for a lot of teenagers. Most eventually move on with their lives, and I believe Shinji was able to as well.

i_Love_Asuka
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby i_Love_Asuka » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:01 am

whiny little prick... useless crybaby... runaway squirell... stupid gutless spineless waste... the greatest waste of flesh and bone in the last 500 years (cause he's anime i have to say "of paper and paint" but that sounds stupid ass)...
:pointup: that is my description of Shinji-faggot,

i hoped in every single episode that he would die.

and when he did the things he did (feel to lazy to make spoiler) to Asuka in EoE i didn't hope he would die anymore... i hoped I would get the chance to kill him personally! (i KNOW he's an anime character and that there are some problems accomplishing that but still...)
"My awesome awesomness is so awesome that no other awesome awesomness in the entire awesome universe of awesome awesomness is that awesome!" - the guy who said it (i was)
"when i ask my girlfriend to act and behave more like Asuka, and she slaps me in the face, does that mean she agrees?" - I_Love_Asuka
"I'm here to love my Asuka and kick ass! and i'm all out of ass..." - rip off of LittleKuriboh
"For someone called "i_Love_Asuka" your pretty hard core" - Defectron
"sorry, i prefer i_Love_Asuka, he's a real man!" - Soljer13

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:34 am

A self-deprecating and emotionally repressed young boy, his desperate approval-seeking behavior and egocentrism makes him capable of acting both in tremendous self-sacrifice and in wanton self-centeredness.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

eva0313777
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby eva0313777 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:42 am

the biggest waste of animated air since charlie brown(the character,not the entire peanuts gang)

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:53 am

i_Love_Asuka wrote:that is my description of Shinji-faggot
I do hope you're using "faggot" as a term of endearment, that I do. ;_;

Merridian wrote:...a bunch of stuff that doesn't explain how Shinji is Bosnian.

Guyver Spawn wrote:At least Shinji does not go on a total bosnian rampage and kills half of the major people of the story line like SMP does.

EDIT: It has recently been made clear to me that this forum is not full of idiots with no sense of history, but people who dislike e-m-o. ^^;

Dear forum administrators: I'll never forgive you!
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:12 am

oOoOoOo wrote:
Merridian wrote:...a bunch of stuff that doesn't explain how Shinji is Bosnian.

Bosnian, say what? I thought you wanted to know who Superboy Prime was. Shinji's Japanese. I don't understand how Eastern Europeans came into the picture to begin with, but seeing how the term's used, I assumed it was more bizarre internet jargon that stood for angst-ridden. Why it's "bosnian" and not "slovak" or "belarusian" or "inuit" I doubt I'll ever understand, though.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:16 am

Merridian wrote:Bosnian, say what? I thought you wanted to know who Superboy Prime was.
Haha. ^_^ I know that stuff. I just didn't understand why Shinji was being compared to "Bosnians", which isn't even an ethnic group. Of course, it turns out that anytime you type "e-m-o" (sans dashes) it gets turned into "bosnian" by the forum's filter.

Why it's "bosnian" and not "slovak" or "belarusian" or "inuit" I doubt I'll ever understand, though.
Arbitrary 4chan insanity. I'm usually too busy looking at naughty pictures to keep up with all the weird secret jokes. ^^;

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:10 pm

i_Love_Asuka wrote:whiny little prick... useless crybaby... runaway squirell... stupid gutless spineless waste...
:pointup: that is my description of Shinji-faggot,
i hoped in every single episode that he would die.
Poor Shin-chan, you don't need to look far to find someone calling him a fag...So why exactly do think so? Is it because he doesn't look or act "manly", or behave like how you'd want from a soldier or hero? He might be an emotionally crippled boy who looks (and socially acts) rather effeminate, but throughout the show he realy does every bit as well as could be expected from someone in his place.

oOoOoOo wrote:EDIT: It has recently been made clear to me that this forum is not full of idiots with no sense of history, but people who dislike e-m-o. ^^;
Dear forum administrators: I'll never forgive you!

Wait, they filter words here...I didn't know that, and you say E-M-O is filtered to emo? I guess I really should lurkmoar :sweatdrop:
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Fast Tony DeNiro
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fast Tony DeNiro » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:58 pm

emo. I can still beat the word filter.

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:43 pm

test:

emo EMO EEEMMMOOOO emos! damned emo damned emos

EDIT: e-m-o in caps and lowercase get turned to bosnian
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:36 pm

Ten magic "O-points" for whoever is first to start a thread about "emotional rock" subcultures in the Balkans.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:45 am

Synapsid wrote:Wait, they filter words here...I didn't know that, and you say E-M-O is filtered to bosnian? I guess I really should lurkmoar :sweatdrop:
That's LurkMore; and the idea is the people should be less lazy when describing Shinji. And it amuses me.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Duke
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Duke » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:37 am

My perception of Shinji is that he's a person who has been emotionally maimed by years of pain, sadness, and loneliness. From losing his mother to being abandoned by his father, then called upon when he's needed. Like a tool. A person who wants to do well but struggles with self confidence issues and other problems.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:40 am

Mr. Tines wrote:the idea is the people should be less lazy when describing Shinji
I actually appreciate the filter more. I didn't know it was a term that frequently applied to him... it really is a lazy way to describe him, though. I guess I haven't been spent enough time in Eva-related message boards. ^^; ("What, Shinji is Bosnian? What does that even mean?") I'll still never forgive you, Tines-san. For being so outrageous.

Oh, and incredibly somebody won the ten magic "O-points" (MOPS?), and they know who they are. I've become a monster.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:26 am

Mr. Tines wrote: That's LurkMore; and the idea is the people should be less lazy when describing Shinji. And it amuses me.
b... But I thought a lurkmoar was fine too :spout: ... And What else do they filter in EGF?
But I guess emo really is a poor way to describe Shinji, unless if we're going to start calling every PTSD kid that...besides it's a music genre, and Shinji isn't even into it.

oOoOoOo wrote: I'll still never forgive you, Tines-san. For being so outrageous.
But why exactly did it bother you so Onnesan, it wasn't just because it made everyone seem akward was it?

oOoOoOo wrote:Oh, and incredibly somebody won the ten magic "O-points" (MOPS?), and they know who they are. I've become a monster.
I think it's all hilarious, It's goten to the point where you could have half the forum do anything you want... ^_^
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”