I'm gonna be viewing NGE for the first time(Write-ups!)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:28 pm

NickFury90 wrote:
backseatjesus wrote:I still want you to review After The End.

"His suit color is the blue of depresson! A hardcore baka, the antisocial third Blue!"

"I mustn't run away."

Aha, so you have seen it! Best part is when the characters imitate the cicadas.

"Reereereereereereereeree"

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:42 pm

VoidEater wrote:It's not really a slap-fest, it's more a hug
Me = :huggles: = VoidEater

VoidEater wrote:(how many of those 200 from Shakespeare are understood by the common reader of today?)
I think people still intuitively recognize the devices even if they have no clue what the technical, Latin terms for them are. He's famous for his hendiadys, for example, and the Norton edition lists a good example of rhetorical devices in two lines from Othello:

"I think my wife be honest, and think she is not;
I think that thou art just, and think thou art not."

And while I'm guessing most couldn't technically explain what's going on, it's rather easy to see the symmetry and repetition at work. And, really, if you take just about any popular, pithy saying they're usually going to have some rhetorical device at work. Oscar Wilde was a more modern master of rhetoric, for example.

VoidEater wrote:It does some technical things really, really well. But I'd still be fascinated if it didn't.
I'm not sure if one can separate the two; we might as well say that the 'technical things' are how it says what it says. If we change that you essentially change the 'language' of the work; kinda like those No Fear Shakespeare books that translate the language into idiomatic and modern (my own hendiadys) English and it ceases to become the same work. Ideally, form and content SHOULD be inseparable.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:47 pm

^Hmm...shades of McLuhan. I'm not sure form and content are necessarily inherently bound. The medium should enhance the impact (the Hallelujah chirus underscoring Divine contact as rape - you do need an audio-visual medium to knock the socks off).

When you get to modern translations of something like Shakespeare, surely we've exceeded a change in form and have encroached into changing content?

Rebuild strikes me as entering this territory - the numbering of Angels is relatively minor, but exchanging the Handel for something like Amy Grant would hurt.

The delight of these reviews Nick is doing is the wonder if seeing the series without knowing what's next, without a predisposed notion of what I think the show is about. It's a delight to see the details that someone else sees that I didn't at first, and see that the questions I had are similar to the ones someone else had.

It's also a delight to have the more form and structure elements of the show brought into the picture. It gives me a fuller view of what is being said, and how it is being said.
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

NickFury90
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby NickFury90 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:20 pm

END OF EVANGELION IMPRESSIONS

Ok, this is gonna be an epic one. BRACE FOR IMPACT!

Shinji is afraid of pussy, and so he goes to the most manly girl he knows for help. 'Course, she's still fucked up so she doesn't answer. He shakes her rapidly and OH SNAP 14-YEAR OLD BREASTS! Pedobear get in here! God, Shinji even fails at masturbating! How do you get it all over your hands like that? Anta baka?

Macross Operators discuss things, hinting that NERV will probably be disbanded now that they are no longer useful. Misato brings the audience up to date with some useful exposition. SEELE wishes to blow shit up to start the next evolution, but Gendo is like "Suck a African-American brother dick, I'm done with ya'll."

Rei wakes up in the middle of the night to fetch a midnight snack. She has also destroyed Gendo's glasses, probably as a sign that she doesn't like being his little doll anymore.

Misato is hacking and being paranoid, when suddenly SEELE brings out TEH HAX. NERV's firewalls are elementary, I told ya'll niggas to get that AVAST. Five Magis on one? I like Fuyutsaki's face on here, he's like "WTF I'm a mod, why is the admin banning me?"

Misato does a nice "HBIC" walk down the hall. My wife Ritsuko comes to the rescue with her l33t haxxor skilz. SEELE is like "No these mofos didn't" and initiates the Angry Anime Army Assault!

Angry Anime Army Attacks! Battle stations! Batten down the hatches! Insert generic emergency phrase here!

Damn, stabbed that dude! Oh shit, SEELE aint playing games no more, they got an entire Awesome Angry Army of Alliteration! Hide the children, literally!

LOL @ putting Asuka in the Unit-02. I can just picture them dragging her out of bed, trying to put her in the plugsuit, etc. Course Shinji is off being a bitch. "Oh, Dear God" indeed.

LOL Gendo knows how to handle this. "Defeat is inevitable" "Well, I'm out this bitch. Take over for me, k?"

The Angry Anime Army are Apathetic Assassins. Dude stopped in the middle of the hallway and was like "Hey, free kill! *blam*" Misato uses...Kool-Aid attack? Thats your big secret weapon? LOL. Also, Shinji is still a bitch.

Misato does a badass "Weapon Up" sequence, and the Macross Operators prepare themselves to. Female Operator is scared, but its believable for her to be scared to kill another human, so this doesn't let you off the hook Shinji.

Naked Rei(14.95 at your local AnimeCon!) sees all her clones, when Gendo walks in. She does a look like "Oh, THIS African-American brother...". ARGH! Angry Anime Army Aren't Arresting Anyone! They just shot him in the face! Ardent Antagonists.

Apathetic Army Assassination Aborted! Badass shaky cam Misato ownage! "Nothing personal either!" OH SNAP SON! Misato tries to give Shinji some of her badassness, but Shinji's depressness is too strong.

"Gee I hope they don't use N2 min--OH SHIT ITS A N2 MINE!"

I like how they do half-second cuts to the things Misato talking about. Helps keep everything together.

Asuka is at the bottom of the lake, when suddenly, mine attack! What happens next is super duper epic, when Asuka's mom(who, appearenlty, is bonded to the Evas, which doesn't make much sense narrative wise, but who gives a fuck with the emotional power is so strong) wakes her up! Whee, Asuka is awesome again!

YEAH TANKER LIFT FTW! SCREW YOUR MISSILE LAUNCHERS, African-American brother! MATRIX DODGE! SILLY HELICOPTERS, YOUR WEAPONS CANNOT HARM ME! DON'T YOU KNOW WHO THE FUCK I AM? I AM Asuka! WOOT! AUSPICIOUSLY AIRY Asuka ANHILATES ANGRY ANIME ARMY ASSASSINS!

SEELE apparently has stole the world gross revenue of The Dark Knight, because they can afford to build a squad of creepy MP Evas.

LOL @ Misato. She is really trippin' thinking Shinji is gonna be useful in THIS movie.

"20 seconds each!" Thats the spirit baby! Oh shit, Asuka is DESTROYING these hos. Meanwhile, Shinji and Misato reach the alternate path to Eva Unit 01, and Angry Army Antagonists Aren't Accurate! They do shoot Misato though.

Misato gives Shinji a great speech about not giving up and life in general, and even KISSES him!? Of course, this just causes Shinji to be an even BIGGER bitch than before. Hey look its ReiEXPLOSION!

This movie is a 90-minute climax, so it goes by really fast and is full of awesome scenes. No need for exposition now, that was Act I and II stuff. So we got a lovely track playing as movie bounces around the various Eva characters. Ritsuko confronts Gendo with her "MWAHAHA, my l33t haxxor skillz set us up the bomb. We get signal." Too bad her mom out Zigged her with her own bomb. Gendo pulls out his gun/penis(it seems to have the same effect, everyone he touches with it dies), and whispers "All Your Base Are Belong to Us" and kills her.

Asuka is using her last seconds of badassness up pretty well, until the Spear of Destiny shows up for no reason and stabs her in the face.

Well I guess Asuka mom kinda ditched at the end, and no amount of Deus Ex Machina Mom Beserker Mode or Spiral Energy can wake it up. Also, those dead Evas that got killed? They aint dead. Seagull attack! God damn, these mothafuckas RUTHLESS, Asuka getting raped! She's pretty good at that. A bit too late for the Berserker mode now, thanks guys. Asuka is dead! OH NOES! Well at least we have Shinji, since he's such a great aw who am I kidding, he's sitting around making excuses for himself. This is probably the first film I've seen where the protagonist was a complete and utter FAILURE for the entire first half of the movie. "Ok, time to actually do something, oh wait the show's over?" Of course the episode ends with a completely girly ass scream, since he's been the biggest bitch in the entire movie so far.

Whee Double Helix Credits!

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS: Probably my favorite Evangelion ANYTHING, although its only improved on because the second half is just as good if not better. Again, because its basically a 90-minute final act, theres no worrying about setting things up, establishing characters, all the crazy little subplots, etc. Thats what the past 24 episodes were for. Now its time for the pure energy and complex conclusion.

Second Half coming soon!
Last edited by NickFury90 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can't agree with people who believe the mole under Ritsuko's eye represents her fear of inadequacy or some other crap"
Captain_Morgan, on Neon Genesis Evangelion

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:25 pm

VoidEater wrote:I'm not sure form and content are necessarily inherently bound. The medium should enhance the impact
Well, I said they SHOULD be bound in that manner. For me, any time you experience something in a medium that you simply couldn't in any other then that's usually when you're experiencing the best of what can be achieved through that medium; you mention the juxtaposition of music and image as something that can only be done in film (though music and drama can be done in musicals/opera). I remember one philosopher saying that's what made music the ultimate artistic medium; because in music the content is ALWAYS inextricably bound to form. If you change the form you radically change how the audience receives the content.

VoidEater wrote:When you get to modern translations of something like Shakespeare, surely we've exceeded a change in form and have encroached into changing content?
Depends on what you consider 'content'. There are so many ways to express any single idea, and I'd consider how it's said constitutes form while what's said is the content. In the case of translating Shakespeare you're essentially leaving what's said alone and simply changing how it's said, so I'd say that you're mostly changing form. There are exceptions, such as when puns and nuances are lost and then you're moving towards changing content as well; but that's true of any translation.

VoidEater wrote:The delight of these reviews Nick is doing is the wonder if seeing the series without knowing what's next, without a predisposed notion of what I think the show is about. It's a delight to see the details that someone else sees that I didn't at first, and see that the questions I had are similar to the ones someone else had.
True. I've always loved hearing the impressions of new people who come to the series. As someone else said it's such a demanding series that it really forces the individual to make up their mind about every element, and it's always fun to see the process of someone, well, processing it all for the first time and what conclusions they come to.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

NickFury90
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby NickFury90 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:45 pm

backseatjesus wrote:
NickFury90 wrote:
backseatjesus wrote:I still want you to review After The End.

"His suit color is the blue of depresson! A hardcore baka, the antisocial third Blue!"

"I mustn't run away."

Aha, so you have seen it! Best part is when the characters imitate the cicadas.

"Reereereereereereereeree"

My favorite part was them singing the song. DAH DAH DAH DAH DAH DAH!
"I can't agree with people who believe the mole under Ritsuko's eye represents her fear of inadequacy or some other crap"

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:09 am

NickFury90 wrote:14-YEAR OLD

NickFury90 wrote:BREASTS!

NickFury90 wrote:Pedobear get in here!

Pedobear wrote:Too old.

NickFury90 wrote:How do you get it all over your hands like that?
For lack of anything else to catch with.

There is some discussion of his problem with concealing the evidence in this thread -- http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=137
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hoover 0818
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hoover 0818 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:15 pm

I really like the alliteration in your impressions. :thumbsup:
You know you are an evangelion fanatic when you learn all of the words to "A Cruel Angel's Thesis" in both Japanese and English.

NickFury90
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby NickFury90 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:02 pm

Aw man, I realize I never did a proper write-up for the second half of EoE! Well better late than never...tomorrow!

jangofett287
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jangofett287 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:46 pm

(lol, huge time gap!)

Incidently, anyone who want to see all 26 episodes in one convenient place
should go here: LINK REMOVED, you can watch in English subed or dubbed, and I'm fairly certain that the DC's are on there.

EDIT: Now, anyone know were I can find EoE
current process of watching NGE for first time: 26/26

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:52 pm

watching eva streamed.... boo

jangofett287
Embryo

?!?

•      
  •      

Postby jangofett287 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:15 pm

Just a question, why was my link removed? Its not illegal, its good, and if you have a problem with streaming this stuff, go back to page 12 and remove all the links to youtube, which works on the exact same technology, just presented in a different way. :complain: :complain: :complain: :complain:

I'm not annoyed, I just want to know. :complain:

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:51 pm

http://wiki.evageeks.org/EvaGeeks_Forum_Rules_and_Guidelines#Other
As a corollary of this policy, do not link to sites that sell bootlegs or that plagiarize materials from other sites.

I assume the linked site had to do with this part of the "other" section of the rules and/or it also had nsfw images and what not.

Either that and/or just telling people just where to watch it isn't allowed.
Do not ask for, or provide links to, sites illegally hosting copyrighted media. If you want to download the entire show, its soundtracks, and scans of the entire manga, fine -- but do it without involving the forum.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:43 pm

For this reason.

Do not ask for, or provide links to, sites illegally hosting copyrighted media. If you want to download the entire show, its soundtracks, and scans of the entire manga, fine -- but do it without involving the forum.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

jangofett287
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jangofett287 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:54 am

View Original Postjangofett287 wrote:Its not illegal

Read my entire post, not just the first sentence!!!!
animefreak.tv is NOT illegal or bootleged, if you have a problem with this go remove all the youtube links starting page 12, most of them are bootleged.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:59 am

View Original Postjangofett287 wrote:animefreak.tv is NOT illegal or bootleged
AnimeFreak Disclaimer wrote:AnimeFreak.TV doesn't host any content
All AnimeFreak.TV does is link or embed content that was uploaded to popular Online Video hosting sites

It's a host that links to uploaded content. That site itself is legal but the content being uploaded and linked to is not.
Similar to the site "Beemp3".
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=341856#341856
====
Da Rules wrote:If you want to download the entire show, its soundtracks, and scans of the entire manga, fine -- but do it without involving the forum.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:08 am

If people cannot Google this stuff for themselves, then that is their problem.

NickFury90
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby NickFury90 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:32 pm

*logs in for the first time in 2 and a half years*

Necro-bump, but I feel so bad for not doing that EoE write-up. I promise that once all these Rebuild movies come out, I'll watch them and do some write-ups on those. Kinda saving them until they're all out, than I can just marathon them.

So uh...yeah >_>

CaasiBoy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CaasiBoy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:28 pm

Holy fucking shit.

I just spend two hours reading this entire thread. It's one of the best things I've ever read on the internet, truly.

"Red Head Bitch: I'm like, totally cooler than you.

Rei: Bitch get the fuck out my face. "

I came.

Just wow. I love you all.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:35 pm

I#ve just read this thread, and I must say that it was very entertaining, it can allways be fullfilling to see things you like through someone else's eyes/perception, so you can enjoy the things you already "got used to" all over again.

WELLCOME TO THE FANDOM!

Don't forget the AWSUM Rebuild movies.

And don't worry, I won't bitch about the fact that you happen to like some other show a bit more when we already got you to place EVa about everything else on the planet.
Seriously!
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”