Who thought Eva was BS...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Before you saw EVA, did you think it was just another typical anime not worth worthing?

Yes, I did.
24%
No, not me. I already knew it would be good.
36%
What do mean? I didn't even know what it is until I saw it the first time.
40%

Total votes: 25

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Wed May 18, 2005 4:11 pm

I actually started watching it because I heard it was supposed to be mind blowing. Before Eva I had only watched a precious few "modern" animes--Akira and some Robotech--but was intrigued when I saw the shitty splice job on Cartoon Network. After some searching online I stumbled upon Eva, about which all I could read was praise. So I logged on to ebay and bought the Perfect Collection. I then preceded to watch the entire series and the movies over a 3 day period. Afterwards I did it again. Still blows my ming to this day...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 18, 2005 4:16 pm

Soluzar wrote:...but without EoE, I would never have become an NGE-geek. As it stood, the show just felt incomplete without EoE. I love the TV ending, but only as long as I know that EoE is there as well. I couldn't ever be happy with just the TV ending.

[AOL]Me too![/AOL]

Without doubt, EoE is the movie that has had the most prolonged effect on me. In terms of acute psychological effect, it's second only to Alien (which made night-time visits to the bathroom scary for a couple of nights).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Thu May 19, 2005 3:00 am

I learned of it from Hentai and fanfiction.........
Then I rented the first episodes from blockbuster and VOILA!
Instant Eva Geek in a bag :D
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Thu May 19, 2005 9:56 am

I saw a snippet of Unit 01 eating the Angel as a little kid and so I had no doubts it was a good show. About 8-9 years later and I got the chance to watch, so I alreayd knew it was going to be good. Heck, hype and anticipation didn't even register in my brain back in those days.....

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Thu May 19, 2005 10:17 pm

I did too. I thought, "What's so great about Eva?"

I watched it and I hated it. That was until I watched it again with my little sister. I fell in love with it and I'm still love it.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Thu May 19, 2005 10:41 pm

RubberSoul wrote:I watched it and I hated it. That was until I watched it again with my little sister. I fell in love with it and I'm still love it.

How does that work? Did you come back to it, like, years later?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Sventevith
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Sventevith » Fri May 20, 2005 4:16 am

I had a mate that had seen it before it, he said it was shit. So the first time I saw it, it was with that image in mind. I thought it would be shit, but I was positive surprised after I saw the whole thing (Except EoE which I didn't have at that time)... so I had to see it again, and so I did.
"Meglio soli che mal accompagnati."

JinKazama
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby JinKazama » Fri May 20, 2005 4:53 am

Would that a sequel or prequel to EVA has been made. If it can happen I'm sure this time ppl will rush to stores and no doubt I'll be one of them, just imagine how this whole thing will be like, and I'm sure too there's still plenty of room for them to make new episodes for EVA, even with the same old characters for those who like EVA still wont get bored of seeing them again, but anyway I think EVA really needs a prequel about something like how did the second impact happen and all sorts of misteries could be explained in it.
--== P.F.P. ==--
Philosophy of Freedom Project
.... If The Third Impact is an imagining of mankind in search for the ultimate freedom and individuality, it's clear that The Philosophy of Freedom Project will be the only solution in reality ....

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Fri May 20, 2005 8:54 am

JinKazama wrote:Would that a sequel or prequel to EVA has been made. If it can happen I'm sure this time ppl will rush to stores and no doubt I'll be one of them, just imagine how this whole thing will be like, and I'm sure too there's still plenty of room for them to make new episodes for EVA, even with the same old characters for those who like EVA still wont get bored of seeing them again, but anyway I think EVA really needs a prequel about something like how did the second impact happen and all sorts of misteries could be explained in it.

Sorry, but chances of that are nil. A big portion of EVA fans would be quite hesitant to grab something that doesn't have Hideaki Anno at the plate, considering he was a very heavy influence on the anime. He stopped Evangelion a loooong time ago, and quite frankly I don't think Evangelion needs a prequel of any kind...

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Fri May 20, 2005 9:12 am

Noooo, no 2I prequels... It would hardly be like watching Evangelion, considering that Eva is, first and foremost, about it's characters and their relation to each other.
Asuka > Rei

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri May 20, 2005 10:00 am

Considering that many popular anime of the 80's have been remade recently, if this trend continues I don't think its inconceivable to think that at some point in the future there'll be a sequal or remake of some sort despite anything Gainax may say right now.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri May 20, 2005 12:17 pm

Does Renewal count?

Seriously though, any retconning of Eva would suck. And there would be the obvious temptation to extend the series, new characters etc, etc. The feelings I have about any eva remakes are the same feelings I have about the intended movie.

They can only suck.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri May 20, 2005 12:23 pm

A remake that involved redoing crappy animation (Death-style) would be nice.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

RubberSoul
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RubberSoul » Sun May 22, 2005 4:16 pm

Dave wrote:
RubberSoul wrote:I watched it and I hated it. That was until I watched it again with my little sister. I fell in love with it and I'm still love it.

How does that work? Did you come back to it, like, years later?

I'm not sure, it was more like a couple months later.

rip3mwk
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby rip3mwk » Sun May 22, 2005 6:14 pm

Reichu wrote:A remake that involved redoing crappy animation (Death-style) would be nice.

I agree. I also wonder why they didn't plug in the reanimated parts of Death into Renewal (ex. Ep. 4 - Misato and Shinji / Ep. 6 - Shinji and Rei [necessary reanimation here because the origional sucked royally]).

Gazdakka Gizbang
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gazdakka Gizbang » Sun May 22, 2005 7:04 pm

A remake that involved redoing crappy animation (Death-style) would be nice.

I'm firmly supportive of that. Initial hearing of the Platinum Edition's release didn't seem to spark interest wiht me, but seeing the remastering for yourself works wonders. Also helps when all your friends complain about subpar animation and bad sound effects......

I agree. I also wonder why they didn't plug in the reanimated parts of Death into Renewal (ex. Ep. 4 - Misato and Shinji / Ep. 6 - Shinji and Rei [necessary reanimation here because the origional sucked royally]).

The reanimations looked soooo beautiful, *sniff* :cry:. I had really been hoping that they would have included those sections in the Platinum Edition...

Toilet Duck
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Toilet Duck » Mon May 23, 2005 3:06 am

the obsessive fanboys (is that redundant??) that this show seems to carry just about kept me away from eva forever.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon May 23, 2005 3:38 pm

the obsessive fanboys (is that redundant??) that this show seems to carry just about kept me away from eva forever.

I had the same issue with Donnie Darko. Those people make me so damn mad for some reason...

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”