Do your friends like Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Do your friends like Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Do have any friends that are fans of the series? My friends are okay with it, but they aren't nearly as interested in it as I am.

What about you? (Sorry if someone already made this topic since I look four pages ago and I found nothing).

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:38 pm

Some of my friends might like select anime, but I haven't really met anybody in college that's into Eva. At least the forums help with meeting people with that interest.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:27 pm

My wife watched it, and couldn't understand the way I obsessed about it; one friend had seen the first 24 episodes on one of the satellite channels, and happily borrowed the last DVD and EoE, but just took it as good SFnal entertainment; and one I lent the first DVD and he thought it "just an excuse to have giant robot fights" (clearly episode 4 went whistling overhead).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:My wife watched it,...

That's better than I ever did.

I have a couple friends who have seen it but to tell you the truth when we get together we never talk about anime. My wife doesn't want to watch it because it isn't her thing, so that's a no go there too. She does like to watch Aria though so that's good.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:06 pm

Of all the people I know (outside of my family, only my lil sis likes some anime), I am the only one who likes anime. I have a friend that has watched only Cowboy Bebop, but that's it. I am alone in my anime hobby IRL. So no, none of my friends even know what Evangelion is.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:10 pm

My fiends all like it

girlfriend likes it due to the show being good and she sees Asuka in herself due to the family matters and such..Won't go there but you get the picture.

Best friends like it for the show, cosplay and I don't know..I guess the characters. My best friends girlfriend wishes to now borrow my boxset..Its like a virus, a good virus but still a virus.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:20 pm

A couple of my friends have seen it. No one likes it as much as me, in fact a friend of mine constantly trolls me about me liking it so much. He actually really likes the series but he has fun trolling.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:46 pm

My 13 year old sister likes it though since she just saw it like a few days ago. She has not seen End of Evangelion yet.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:13 pm

I've run into a few Eva fans in my time, though most people I know either don't know what Eva is or are too "out of it" regarding anime in general
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:33 pm

Simple. No. But I will make my girlfriend watch all of the episodes and the both movies sometime.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:43 pm

The few people I've introduced it to enjoyed it. One was an idiot and had no idea wtf he just watched, and the other wasn't but still needed it to be explained to him. I also tried getting my girlfriend to watch it, and I think she watched the first 3 episodes, said she liked it, but she never got around to finishing it. But now she's annoyed with me whenever I mention anything about Rei. All because I told her I had a single Rei figure in my room.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Deathmask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Deathmask » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:52 pm

My friends don't understand it. They just thought it was depressing.
<X> i dropped my book for this conversation
<ZapalacX> i dropped my pants for this conversation
<Anti> I wasn't serious.
<ZapalacX> i was
<ZapalacX> i'm not even joking
<ZapalacX> look at my face
<ZapalacX> :|

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:02 pm

That really sucks, I told my girlfriend that I want anything Asuka for my birthday, told her to check eBay. Maybe I'll have her watch one of the episodes this weekend...

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:15 pm

Just remember not to put Asuka in front of your real girlfriend. I mean sure we all wish we had a clone of that Red head but we can't all get what we want so love what you have.

I guess its good having friends who like it cause they can make references and such...Such as when one said my Ice tea looked like LCL and I said "is it in you".
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:54 pm

I don't have any friends that like Evangelion, they all thought it was annoying and most couldn't even finish the series. Not surprisingly, most of them have sat through plenty of other shows. My GF has watched dozens of anime with me (most recently, we finished both seasons of Honey and Clover), she thinks Eva is mindnumbingly boring. I have Asuka and Rei figures, lots of naked Ikki Tousen figures, my GF doesn't give a shit.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:58 pm

My girlfriend is interested in seeing it, but I really don't have enough time or patience to sit with her and watch it to helpfully explain what's going on in some scenes.

Most of the anime club in my college has seen it and has a healthy respect for it, even if they don't like it. Usually when we MST3K whatever show we're watching, we'll reference Eva every episode or two. I also knew a few fangirls (who had trouble with POWER LEVELS and would talk to me about anime in front of other people) who enjoyed the show.

Yeah, that's about it.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:01 am

That's the only reason I think showing my gf Eva will be annoying. She'll be asking what's he doing? or why are they doing that? literally every 2 minutes. I will respond with just be quiet and find out but she will continue to ask.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm a hermit who commutes to college; I don't have any friends. Well, maybe if I try hard I can recall the existence of some I don't see very often...

I have one buddy who'd been sufficiently into NGE (which he knew about before we met) to post rather prolifically at AnimeNations for a time ("HeWhoPostsStuff" -- funny guy). I've tried playing the show to three other buddies: one didn't like it at all; one finished it and seemed to enjoy it enough; and the other saw the first half and I haven't heard from him since (:chinscratch:).
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Annihilationscape
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilationscape » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:15 pm

I had invited a massive group of my friends over to watch Eva, a few days a week, to share the experience.

One friend in particular I was interested in discussing with. He's a bright guy, one of my best and oldest friends, and we have many good conversations... And while he was totally into Eva big time through the first 22 episodes... He is one of the disappointing few who felt there was not enough payoff at the end.

Turns out he's the kind of guy who likes to have things pretty clearly explained to him... I explained that it was all in there - that everything (well, ok, ALMOST everything) you need to know is right there in plain sight, you just have to actually look. Alas.

My wife liked it overall but has repeatedly said she liked it better when it was just a big robot monster of the week anime :P

But the best reaction was from my best friend after watching the series and the EoE... He's a Christian guy and oftentimes doesn't swear, but upon viewing EoE, right after the notorious "One More Final: I Need You." aired, and the credits started, he sat there for about 5 seconds, realized that was IT, the END, and just said,

"...Holy SHIT, that was the END?!"
:D
"I'll make you wish you hadn't burned our time before/ I'll live through this in a manner cursed at my own accord.

If my shame spills our worth across this floor/ Then tonight, goodnight... I'm burning Star IV."

-Claudio nukes creation because lolheartbreak, Coheed & Cambria

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:14 pm

I've watched it with my sister, my cousin, and a few people I'm not really friends with any more. My best friends aren't into anime at all.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”