I liked Evangelion (a lot) so I should also see...?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:44 pm

You can't possibly watch ep1 of rahxephon and tell me with a straight face they weren't heavily influenced by eva. Yes it diverges quite a bit later but it never really escapes the feeling that you've seen this all before, especially when practically every character in rahxephon's too-large cast feels like a shallow imitation of an eva character.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:44 pm

Eva never occured to me when I first watched RahXephon. A lot of other things did, right off the bat, however, like Dancougar, Escaflowne, Raideen, Macross, Gundam, Ideon, or any of the other shows from the 80's and 90's that both RahXephon and Eva drew inspiration from. Maybe it was because I've watched these older shows before seeing both Eva and RahXephon. Regardless (there are other threads for comparing these 2 shows), RahXephon's story telling is a trainwreck, I wouldn't recommend it.

http://www.evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3821
http://www.evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4882
http://www.evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=50
http://www.evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5690

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:40 pm

Ideon is good too. Neon Genesis Evangelion series also ends in a similar fashion and a few ideas too. Not to mention the Mechas in the series are awesome since Ideon was able to destory like a Planet in one blast.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

AyrYntake
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby AyrYntake » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:38 pm

Has anyone mentioned Ergo Proxy yet? No mecha, but it's definitely similar in the philosophical themes it explores, as well as the religious symbolism involved.
It's also quite short, and some episodes can (like in Eva) be watched independently with no loss of awesomeness. Mindfuck scenes included in some, so be warned.
Cirrus, Socrates, particle, decibel, hurricane, dolphin, tulip

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:37 pm

My list is getting large...I'll have to frequent many libraries and have many birthdays...
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:23 am

I would recommend this because like Evangelion it to is a mind screw.

Oh and here is the trailer to what I mentioned.

The animation is amazing as well.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

xfactor30seconds
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xfactor30seconds » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:48 pm

NGE is by far my favorite anime but I really like Wolf's Rain it still has the apocalypse feel to it and it is beautifully drawn
http://myanimelist.net/profile/xfactor30seconds

my anime list :)

Evangelion Geeks GOOOOOOO
lol yeah

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:05 pm

Arise, ye!

Super Dimension Century Orguss is a pretty light-hearted mecha anime from 1983. It gets more serious towards the end though, and it has a seriously mind-fucking ending - more specifically, it is one of those mindfuck endings that manage to make quite a bit of sense once you start thinking about them (OR it might just be all in your head). In a sense, it reminded me of Big O's ending.

A legit release of the show exists, but it is impossible to find nowadays (I've tried), so if you want to watch it, you've gotta be a pirate.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Eye patch and parrot engaged...thank you!
"I would like to see a clown remake of 'Terms of Endearment' or 'The Thorn Birds.' Or maybe a big disaster movie, like 'Towering Inferno.' That's stuff I'd pay to see. Nothing says entertainment more than burning clowns."

HENRCAST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HENRCAST » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:59 pm

Ergo Proxy and Paranoia Agent. Maybe Ghost in The Shell SAC.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:02 pm

I don't think there's anything left that hasn't been recommended. Ornette's list is the best in the thread, so use that.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:57 am

So far, I've liked GitS SAC enough to collect all the episodes. This process has helped me understand why I like the anime I like, so far that seems to mostly (not always) be questions of existance, identity, what defines human, and how man struggles with defining a spiritual reality. The relationship of the individual to community (and the social constructions of a community) also come up.

This thread has been a great help, and I've only scratched the surface of the suggestions (RL has gotten in the way of tracking down material).

obama
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby obama » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:02 pm

do people really still think eva was inspired?

anyay gainax's work are the only things that come close to eva.
Saving the world!

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:11 pm

obama wrote:do people really still think eva was inspired?

Not sure what you mean exactly, but Eva sure wasn't created inside a bubble.

Evangelion217
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:01 pm

If you want something that isn't anime, check out Hideaki Anno's "Love and Pop." Looking at the cover, you'll think it's just another cute tween popper film. Something like a Miley Cyrus flick or something.

But it is SO MUCH MORE then that. It's the complete opposite of tender, sweet, cute, and Miley Cyrus. :)
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

"Komm Susser Todd" is the most up-lifting song about depression"- Evangelion217

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

Shinji-kun
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Shinji-kun » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:00 am

Gundam, for the mechas mainly.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:07 am

I'd suggest Darron Aronofsky's The Fountain. Yeah it's not an anime but its still a really interesting movie.

I'd describe it ya'll but I believe you have the power of :google:

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:32 am

^Yes, that was exactly what I had in mind with the thread. The Fountain was very trippy. You can curve it into a couple possible scenarios. Like NGE, it gives enough content for consideration, though avoids spoon feeding the audience (though this is always a two-edged sword).

Compared to NGE, the music was effective, but for different reasons - The Fountain had evocative music that meshed with the visuals, all moving toward a visceral experience; NGE often does the same thing, but with an added mental aspect of keying into cultural symbols (e.g., religion as religion with Handel) - we recognize a point being made, or at least a tool being used. Both can be mesmerizing, though NGE can tend toward exposition in a subtle way.

Newayz, loved The Fountain!

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:00 am

VoidEater wrote:Newayz, loved The Fountain!

If you liked The Fountain I'd recommend Aronofsky's other movies (Requiem for a Dream and Pi). I haven't seen The Wrestler yet so I really don't know what that's like.

Pi has some interesting stuff in it (a kind of obsession with spirals and finding meaning through mathematics). Requiem for a Dream however is one of the movies that you only need to see once or twice.

VoidEater
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby VoidEater » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:11 am

^I was kinda disappointed with Pi, partially by the continuity error with the written numbers (it's a major plot device, it should have received more attention) and partly from the ending (which seemed too open ended) - but a good reminder to go back. Requiem...I'll have to look that up, thanks!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”