Parts of Eva You Found Unintentionally Funny

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:41 am

Forgot one. That picture with the main cast when Shinji rejects instrumentality in EoE.

Rei is in it but her face is blocked off by Shinji infront of her. I'm sure there is a meaning in there somewhere.

And the Bridge Bunnies are present in it too. I never got that. I mean, they don't talk to Shinji at all. Shinji might not even know their names. The only time they talked to each other was when Toji was crippled.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:39 pm

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:"Um, did the S2 engine die? Are they having a staring contest or something? Are they remembering that awkward thing in the showers? OK, I'm too bored to care if the world ends, I'm gonna monitor the hospital for a while. At least I know that's going to be boring."

This.

They stood there for a minute and six seconds, staring lovingly into each others eyes... and then Shinji gave his squeeze some affection and popped his head clean off.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:26 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:This.

They stood there for a minute and six seconds, staring lovingly into each others eyes... and then Shinji gave his squeeze some affection and popped his head clean off.

You know, i am rather surprised at what scenes do people find hilarious.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:28 pm

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:your grandma watches Evangelion?

I will become a great grandfather twice over later this year, and I do.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:43 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:You know, i am rather surprised at what scenes do people find hilarious.

The wait was hilarious. The head-crunching was not.

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Huh, I never knew this show had such a periphery demographic. In fact, now that I think of it, the show doesn't really have ANY core audience in mind. It has young protagonists and a setup that wouldn't feel out of place in your standard shonen mecha show, yet it gets so dark towards the end that no one under the age of 15 or so should watch it.

Anyhow, back on topic. I love how Shinji is just able to casually mention that he's part of a top secret government agency and pilots the robot that he KNOWS caused massive collateral damage. Why didn't NERV immediately send in some black ops team to kill everyone else in that class?
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:24 pm

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:Anyhow, back on topic. I love how Shinji is just able to casually mention that he's part of a top secret government agency and pilots the robot that he KNOWS caused massive collateral damage. Why didn't NERV immediately send in some black ops team to kill everyone else in that class?

Because they're all potential pilots too.

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Yeah, but they could still take them all into captivity or something. Still, it seems pretty careless of the most important government organization in the world to not warn its pilots to not disclose their identities.

AGAIN back on topic, the "Dance Like You Want to Win" scene triggered a lot of laughs when I first saw it. I was always wondering just how many earthquakes and destroyed buildings resulted from the backflips alone. I need an animated GIF of that shot.
According to Seele, Tang is the ultimate form of life. I guess that means the astronauts are committing genocide all the time then.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:47 pm

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:Anyhow, back on topic. I love how Shinji is just able to casually mention that he's part of a top secret government agency and pilots the robot that he KNOWS caused massive collateral damage. Why didn't NERV immediately send in some black ops team to kill everyone else in that class?

I find it funny that he dose it and its never mention again. Sure there is Toji and Kensuke but he doesn't get a fangirl club or people who would give him lots of sympathy. I guess thats kinda funny in the odd sort of way though.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:33 pm

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:Why didn't NERV immediately send in some black ops team to kill everyone else in that class?

Because they're not the U.S. goverment.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:22 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Because they're not the U.S. goverment.

OH SNAP.

But no seriously, presumably the reason nothing happened is because all the children in that class were potential pilots. They were much too valuable to let anything happen to them.

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:15 pm

The whole thing where Shinji was freaking out about GNR and happy about GNK. It makes sense but people keep making jokes about Shinji being gay.

View Original PostDream wrote:Because they're not the U.S. goverment.

The Japanese goverment isn't any better in the show either, they're pretty trigger happy. The US probably wouldn't do it cause were in a recession

Kaworu06
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kaworu06 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:38 pm

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:Also, Kaworu06, your grandma watches Evangelion?

Yeah, she has watched NGE so much, me and her debate about some parts (IOW, Is Shinji a cry baby ETC)
I also go by:
Sylvi Jenni Annukka Lea Pentti.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:59 pm

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:Huh, I never knew this show had such a periphery demographic. In fact, now that I think of it, the show doesn't really have ANY core audience in mind. It has young protagonists and a setup that wouldn't feel out of place in your standard shonen mecha show, yet it gets so dark towards the end that no one under the age of 15 or so should watch it.

Actually, Anno said it was for elementary school children.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

EVAfacepalm
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EVAfacepalm » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:45 pm

I know Japan has totally different standards when it comes to what's appropriate for children but... that's insane. Someone must do some tests for science. Make a 10 year old watch the entire series and EoE, then secretly observe them for a year and see how much it traumatized them. It's alright because it's for SCIENCE!

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:02 pm

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:I know Japan has totally different standards when it comes to what's appropriate for children but... that's insane. Someone must do some tests for science. Make a 10 year old watch the entire series and EoE, then secretly observe them for a year and see how much it traumatized them. It's alright because it's for SCIENCE!

Hey, I think I turned out all right...

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:06 pm

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:The Japanese goverment isn't any better in the show either, they're pretty trigger happy. The US probably wouldn't do it cause were in a recession

Only trigger happy instance i can think of is the JSSDF in EoE, and that is a very particular (even world-ending) situation that can't be used for an useful instance of how they usually do things. But i have a hunch you have a different situation in mind.

View Original PostEVAfacepalm wrote:I know Japan has totally different standards when it comes to what's appropriate for children but... that's insane. Someone must do some tests for science. Make a 10 year old watch the entire series and EoE, then secretly observe them for a year and see how much it traumatized them. It's alright because it's for SCIENCE!

Yeah, Japan is so wacky... :sigh:

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:14 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Actually, Anno said it was for elementary school children.

Did he really? Source?

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:37 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Only trigger happy instance i can think of is the JSSDF in EoE, and that is a very particular (even world-ending) situation that can't be used for an useful instance of how they usually do things. But i have a hunch you have a different situation in mind.

I mean all the times the Japanese keep using their weapons agents the angels even though its clearly ineffectual. Even Nerv agrees they're wasting tax payers money
Last edited by SimplyMason0 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:41 pm

View Original PostSimplyMason0 wrote:I mean all the times the Japanese keep using their weapons agents the angels even though its clearly ineffectual. Even the Nerv agrees they're wasting tax payers money

Hmm, i see. If i recall correctly it was both a matter of pride/reminding NERV of their position, and the fact that it was effective to some degree with the earlier angels (It's true that Fuyutsuki says they're wasting money, but considering the context i don't think he meant that statement as 100% serious)

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”