Parts of Eva You Found Unintentionally Funny

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:22 am

View Original PostSeen wrote:I always thought it was Huga holding a rifle.

If that's the case, then judging by his expression he's about to go Columbine on everyone's ass.

Are Columbine jokes okay yet?
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:49 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:If that's the case, then judging by his expression he's about to go Columbine on everyone's ass.

probably Kaji. Columbine joke are far better the Virgina tech jokes.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:43 am

It's always the quiet ones, eh? :lol:

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Are Columbine jokes okay yet?

I'm okay with it. Nothing is off-limits or sacred when it comes to humor/parody. True story: I was expelled for making jokes about it too soon after. Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to have a dark sense of humor.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Xana
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Xana » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:46 am

Ep 26's cheap-looking animation (excluding the AU part) made it all seem like some cheesy kid's cartoon, especially the part with Shinji in that white, empty space where the characters talked to him off-screen. I was laughing my ass off the whole time.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:56 am

View Original PostXana wrote:Ep 26's cheap-looking animation (excluding the AU part) made it all seem like some cheesy kid's cartoon, especially the part with Shinji in that white, empty space where the characters talked to him off-screen. I was laughing my ass off the whole time.

Ya ran out of ink too, didn't ya? Ya bastards!
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:04 am

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:Ya ran out of ink too, didn't ya? Ya bastards!

yeah spike's rant was funny.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:27 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:yeah spike's rant was funny.

"Now, if I were to run away - let's analyze that! - where the FUCK would I go???"
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:58 am

I think the funniest part of the rant was "The movie better sure as Hell make up for this, I'm telling you."

Because End of Evangelion.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:38 am

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:I think the funniest part of the rant was "The movie better sure as Hell make up for this, I'm telling you."

poor bastard never saw it coming.:(

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:07 am

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:I think the funniest part of the rant was "The movie better sure as Hell make up for this, I'm telling you."

Did Spike record his rant before or after he'd done his VA work for EoE?

If it was after, he's winking at the audience. If before... It must have been like getting hit by a bus. "You want me to voice Shinji doing what?!"
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:52 am

'Does the bus run through here?'

I do recall on the platinum commentary it being mentioned that the original series hadnt finished in Japan when they were dubbing the early episodes.

Maybe it was just a good guess from ole Spike. Maybe they knew there was going to be a movie/OVA but ddidnt have any details

It must have been like getting hit by a bus. "You want me to voice Shinji doing what?!"

On the EoE dub this time I think - Spike's reaction was akin to 'well of course thats what hed do'

Finally, I remember hearing/reading that at a Con there was hints of a whole bunch of with Spike Spencer/Shinji outtakes but none have come to light besides the ep 26 one.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:20 pm

The dub, all of it.

Also, in Eoe, during Asuka's last stance, i love how it goes from one of the moments with Ritsuko/Gendo and instantly cuts to an harpy's top half just flying like a rocket, a few seconds later how she cuts the legs of the other one is so over the top it's hilarious, i love how he trips.

Hallelujah scene was also funny to me for the music choice.

In episode 24 i was just laughing during the Shinji/Kaworu scenes, specially when he blushes.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:05 pm

In the Zeruel batttle (episode 19) I found this part to be slightly amusing:
SPOILER: Show

The way Zeruel was using its arms was most likely what seemed funny in my eyes.
Also, Shinji's expression and the way he cried out when he and Unit one were in the process of being absorbed into Leliel:

And Fuyutsuki's little laugh during episode one, I cannot remember which part of the episode it was in. Perhaps it was just before Commander Ikari leaves the control room after he has agreed with the UN to launch an Evangelion. Or it could have been around the time that he says this:
"So, even the UN forces have retired. What are you going to do?"

I am also not sure if it was actually supposed to be humorous after all, maybe it was.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:56 pm

View Original PostReiAyanami25 wrote:In the Zeruel batttle (episode 19) I found this part to be slightly amusing:

I can just imagine Zeruel mocking Shinji with an affected British accent the whole time it's doing that. "Oh, you're going to go berserk, aren't you! I mustn't run away! I mustn't run away! Oh, you charged me into a wall, I'm so scared!"
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:07 pm

View Original PostReiAyanami25 wrote:Also, Shinji's expression and the way he cried out when he and Unit one were in the process of being absorbed into Leliel:

It's like the following has happened:
"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?! Asuka loves Mari? But she doesn't even exist in this universe!"
"She satisfies me more, baka..."

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:58 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I can just imagine Zeruel mocking Shinji with an affected British accent the whole time it's doing that. "Oh, you're going to go berserk, aren't you! I mustn't run away! I mustn't run away! Oh, you charged me into a wall, I'm so scared!"

:clap:
Very funny. I like it. Yes, Zeruel seems like the mocking type.
I also found it very funny when Leliel, (disguised as a younger version of Shinji) during episode 16, speaks to the present day Shinji, and he says something along the lines of this:
No one can justify their existence by linking their happiest memories into a kind of rosary. In particular, I cannot...

I do not know why I found it as amusing as I did.
Episode 16 is a funny episode. It actually happens to be one of my favourites, I only realised it after I re-watched it about a week ago.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:22 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I can just imagine Zeruel mocking Shinji with an affected British accent the whole time it's doing that. "Oh, you're going to go berserk, aren't you! I mustn't run away! I mustn't run away! Oh, you charged me into a wall, I'm so scared!"

"Call me a Stupid Core, will you?! Who's got the Stupid Core now? Who's got the Stupid Core now?! You do! I'm gonna unleash my RAGE CORE on your giant purple ass and when I'm through -"

*Very quietly, very slowly, GLaDoYui begins - to laugh.*

"Oh... no..."

---

Awesome-quality screengrab there from episode 16, Rei25. What DVD set is that from?
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:44 pm

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:Awesome-quality screengrab there from episode 16, Rei25. What DVD set is that from?

None. I obtained it from a download on the Evangelion Commentary Project website, which I expect most people here will be familiar with. if not, here is the link: http://www.evacommentary.org/index.html
It was on a download of some 'out-of-print CD-ROMs catering to the NGE hard-core geeks.' It contained hundreds of screenshots, all in the perfect quality that you have seen exhibited above, plus all the on-screen titles for the episodes in Japanese and English, and lots of screenshots from the Opening Sequence of NGE, which are all in perfect, unsoiled quality. Some of them are the pictures in the chorus, which flash by so fast that they are nearly impossable to get an accptable screenshots of.
If you wish to download this stuff, which is guess you probably will, you are going to need software that will unpack RAR files, such as Winzip or 7zip. Winzip costs money, so I suggest you download a free trial and then delete it after you have used it.
Here are some examples of screenshots that I got from the download:

And here are some screenshots from the Opening sequence:

And here is one of the episode titles:

I beleive that this download was supplied by Reichu, so I thank her, and I give her a round of applause for sharing such a fantastic thing with the Evangelion fan community. It helped to strengthen my screenshot collection, and I greatly enjoy browsing through them and admiring the exceptional quality.
Also, moderators, please do not get mad with me for going off topic...
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:34 pm

View Original PostReiAyanami25 wrote:In the Zeruel batttle (episode 19) I found this part to be slightly amusing:

When ever I see that scene I imagine Zeruel saying poke, poke, poke every time it strikes unit 01.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:34 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:When ever I see that scene I imagine Zeruel saying poke, poke, poke every time it strikes unit 01.

Yes! so do I.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”