Parts of Eva You Found Unintentionally Funny

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:43 am

The part in the dub where the military guy says "what's the status of the target!" always makes me smile. The guy sounds like he's tryingwayto hard.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:51 am

This is so off, but...
When Misato tries to turn Shinji on in the Japanese dub, his tone when he says, "STOP. NO, MISATO-SAN." made me laugh.
Last edited by AshPhoenix on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:11 pm

The “Every missile hit the target!” line in the dub, how nothing at Nerv every seems to work like its supposed to, Shamshel’s appearance, Asuka’s German skillz in the original, Misato throwing up in episode 15, and a carrier named Over the Rainbow now doubly hilarious after the repeal of the US Military’s “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” policy.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:00 pm

Plus 1 for the EVERY SINGLE MISSILE HIT THE TARGET! part.

The fact that the Youtube Poop guys haven't made that an worldwide meme yet saddens me.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

ShadowGT
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShadowGT » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:42 pm

View Original PostAshPhoenix wrote:This is so off, but...
When Misato tries to turn Shinji on in the Japanese dub, his tone when he says, "STOP. NO, MISATO-SAN." made me laugh.

What part where Misato tried to turn Shinji on? i don't remember that part?
PSN: ShadowGT-R
Steam: Fatpizza20

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:04 pm

ShadowGT wrote:What part where Misato tried to turn Shinji on? i don't remember that part?

In Episode 23, right after Rei II dies, Misato comes into Shinji's room and tries to grab his hand (sexual advance). Shinji kind of freaks out and falls onto his bed.
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:07 am

I'm pretty sure it was a New Production Cut.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:32 am

View Original PostShadowGT wrote:What part where Misato tried to turn Shinji on? i don't remember that part?
The incident referred to is in the On Air version -- however most normal people would take it as simple gesture of reassurance and consolation through physical contact in the context. You have to go deeply "LOL Freudian picture composition!" or to extra-textual sources to see any more in it than what remains of simple primate social grooming behaviour.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:02 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:The incident referred to is in the On Air version -- however most normal people would take it as simple gesture of reassurance and consolation through physical contact in the context. You have to go deeply "LOL Freudian picture composition!" or to extra-textual sources to see any more in it than what remains of simple primate social grooming behaviour.

THIS.
I guess it could go either way, depending on how you look at it.

Nightweaver20xx
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Nightweaver20xx » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:33 pm

I always wonder why people think that Tiffany Grant's German in the dub is so funny. I thought it sounded very believable and not really that hammy. MAYBE the convo on the phone (and yes I know to native German-speakers her accent and grammar are appalling). Nevertheless, within the context of the show, it was an admirable effort, and I never laughed at it, I found it instead kind of a turn-on there I said it.
"The tranquil angel's thesis has ended, so now it is beginning/ Clinging tightly to the life you protect/ You will receive an answer from that dream~
--Epilogue of Evangelion

The story is never over as long as humans can still love one another.

[url]http://www.furaffinity.net/user/Nightweaver20xx[/url]

xuefranklin
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xuefranklin » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:58 am

I thought that Aoba doing air guitar was sort of funny...

Number 44
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Number 44 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:38 am

Episode 19, Kagi and Shinji's calm conversation with the absolute chaos of the angel battle in the background. It's kinda like "Fancy meeting you here. Oh yeah, by the way, the world is about to end."
No matter how many times you watch your copy of End of Evangelion, the ending is not going to change.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:45 pm

View Original PostNumber 44 wrote:Episode 19, Kagi and Shinji's calm conversation with the absolute chaos of the angel battle in the background. It's kinda like "Fancy meeting you here. Oh yeah, by the way, the world is about to end."

Kaji is just that badass.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:58 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Kaji is just that badass.

yeah, those were my thoughts too when I first saw it.

"Goddamn best male in this series! Not that he has a lot of competition but..."

amplexicaule
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby amplexicaule » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:16 pm

The first time I saw sahaquiel I giggled madly, and I still can't tell if we're supposed to take him completely seriously or not. His character design is just so... silly, right?

Number 44 wrote:Episode 19, Kagi and Shinji's calm conversation with the absolute chaos of the angel battle in the background. It's kinda like "Fancy meeting you here. Oh yeah, by the way, the world is about to end."

Seconded. I can't manage to take any scene with Kaji and his melons entirely seriously.
On a related note, something about the way Shinji and Kaji sit as far away as possible while still being on the same bench in what I believe to be episode seventeen made me absolutely crack up.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:57 pm

View Original Postamplexicaule wrote:The first time I saw sahaquiel I giggled madly, and I still can't tell if we're supposed to take him completely seriously or not. His character design is just so... silly, right?

I think Matarael's design makes me giggle more than Sahaquiel. Sahaquiel looks like an abstract piece of art, while Matarael is a spider trying to be like Sahaquiel.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:59 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I think Matarael's design makes me giggle more than Sahaquiel.

Matarael is actually kind of effective for me for most of his existence, if only because eyes that ooze cheese whiz are gross as fuck. It's how he dies that gets me.

clunk
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

bigbadtyrant
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby bigbadtyrant » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:12 am

Seeing Shamshel the first time made me laugh like a madman......i will not describe my thoughts though :lol:
From the shadows i come!!!

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:53 am

View Original Postbigbadtyrant wrote:......i will not describe my thoughts though :lol:

That he looks like a dildo? It's okay, we all see it.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

kuwisdelu
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby kuwisdelu » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:01 am

I always thought it was amusing that NERV, despite being the humanity's only hope for survival, never has enough funds for anything.

Also that Evas sometimes get bandaged over their armor.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”