What if Eva was a generic action robot show?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:22 pm

If it was a generic robot acton show, by now we would have "the most original anime anyone's ever done". Someone would have
done a psychological delve into the mind of a mech piloting introvert by now.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

Re: Gurren Lagann?

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:39 pm

Ornette wrote:Huh? It followed the generic super robot blue print pretty closely.
Um I supose it comes down to individual impressions, but TTGL really did seem to be a mash up of every high adventure and shonen archetype they could fit into a Gunbuster skeleton. I supose it's quite generic in that sence and since Gunbuster was one of Anno's formative works it might not be a totally invalid example.
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Re: Hey, if this was a more conventional Super Robot show...

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:45 pm

Synapsid wrote:
CyberXIII wrote:...and the Eva's could combine, what would the combined form look like?

Akebono Taro, Anno answered these questions long ago ;)

Bolded text means what?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:25 pm

It's Akebono of course :biii: (a Sumo if you don't want to look it up)
Unlike the Okita or Genji references there was an answer in the post: the textlink lead to a picsub for After the End, it's a satirical take on the cast trying to make EVA more palatable to mainstream audiences.
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

cress20
Embryo

Drama Track

•      
  •      

Postby cress20 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:56 am

Yep the Drama tracks good. If you listen to whoever doing the Unit 1 sounds....He was crazy.

On the Generic Mecha series
I'd a thought Pen Pen would get a bigger role I think, and possibly play some role in defeating an angel.

Gendo would be just like that power rangers leader... a head in a tube

Toji would become Love hina's Keitaro Urashima

Fuyutsuki would hang about the shadows in lower parts of the Geofront spiting conspiracies to wandering pilots and probably own is own mech to Peer up in some battle scene, willy nilly.

I liked the artwork so I'd probably still watch it....
Yah

Orphan Of Darkness
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Orphan Of Darkness » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:16 pm

If Eva was generic robot anime:
-I wouldnt have explored the anime industry as much as I have (probably for the better when I think about it)
-Hideaki Anno would spend more time on playgrounds doing hilarious hand motions
-Reichu would not have made that amazing/terrible Eva on Eva model and I wouldnt have fap'd while crying to it. I actually I just shook my head and laughed softly, but I did consider fap'ing and crying.
EvanGelion:GLIA @A fanfiction project in progress. ~Updated-Mar 15th/2011~ |DeviantArt

-
"Make good use of this money, Rei. I

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Hey, if this was a more conventional Super Robot show...

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:48 pm

Well, I always liked mecha/super robot shows...

So I guess I would have watched it anyway... well, once at least.

Hmmmm....

Synapsid wrote:
CyberXIII wrote:...and the Eva's could combine, what would the combined form look like?

Akebono Taro, Anno answered these questions long ago ;)

*high fives* :toothy:
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Duskbyday
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Duskbyday » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:27 pm

If Eva was a generic robot show weouldn't have this forum. :boingy:
(Your sig is kinda long. Maybe you could shorten it?)
"Mountain. Heavy are the mountains, something that changes through the ages. Sky. Blue sky. Something visible, something invisible. Sun. Something unique. Water. Something agreeable. Commander Ikari. Flowers. Many of them alike, many of them useless. Sky. Red, red sky. Red color. Red color that I hate. Water flow. Blood. The smell of blood. A woman that does not bleed. Made from the red soil are humans. Made by Man and Woman are humans. Town. Something that humans made. Eva. Something that humans made. Humans are what? Something that God made. Humans are things which humans made. The things I possess are my life and mind. The vessel of a mind. Entry plug, the throne of a soul.

Who is this? This is me. Who am I? What am I? What am I? What am I? What am I?

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:28 pm

Nasmoe wrote:I wouldn't still be fixated on it

This.

It was hearing about Anno's motivations behind making the series that got me interested in Eva in the first place. If it weren't for the psychological aspect, I probably would've been bored by the narrative and annoyed by the budget constraints. The psychological aspects made it my favorite anime I've seen thus far.

Evangelion__x
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion__x » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:44 am

Then I would have been, f-ck it.

Adekis
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Adekis » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:35 pm

Anyone who says that Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is generic is obviously in need of a dictionary. There is certainly a difference between "generic" and "deconstruction of angsty shonen heroes." GaoGaiGar (for example) is, first and foremost, a super robot show. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is, first and foremost, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, in much the same way that Neon Genesis Evangelion is, first and foremost, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Evangelion, is undoubtedly more psychological, but please refrain from calling Gurren Lagann generic just because it's heroes believe in themselves and point to heaven.

More to the point, Evangelion, if generic:
*The Angels would be called Xeno-threats or something
*The Evas would not be called Evas
*Asuka would be Kazuya
*Rei would be... Reiji? Is that a boy's name?
*Shinji would still be a boy. He would, in fact, be more awesome. This is not really a good thing for us, though it is definitely a good thing for him.
*Kaworu would not be romantically linked to Shinji. He might, however, survive the show with only a bruise from getting punched.
*Super-Advanced Robot Saviors: Neon Genesis Mega-Lion!
*I would like the ending. I realize, however, that I am a minority in my dislike for EoE.
Last edited by Adekis on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:53 pm

I wonder if the ATE plugsuits would have been common fare..
Adekis wrote:Anyone who says that Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is generic is obviously in need of a dictionary. There is certainly a difference between "generic" and "deconstruction of angsty shonen heroes." ...
Um, I'm sorry I certanly don't mean to offend, and I understand that words like "generic" are subjective, but from what I see TTGL very much follows Shonen viewers expectations, and it seems to strongly follow Bildungsroman and Shonen patterns: that is that the hero's mature, get stronger and ultimately triumph, that doesn't seem very novel to me. I suppose you could consider the fact that the show was Gunbuster with every sort of Shonen/action archetype thrown in to be novel, but I suppose that would sort of fall along the lines of weather you consider Lucas' analogue to be novel or not...sorry it's just my opinion :sweatdrop:
Yes, yes it is, and they've used it in some eva fics...And I really wouldn't like this macho Shinji at all, It's just my view though.

Adekis
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Adekis » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:08 pm

Synapsid wrote:...but from what I see TTGL very much follows Shonen viewers expectations...

Yes, and that's why it's a deconstruction. Because it starts out with Shinji Ikari, who goes way more emo than I think Shinji actually does (not that he should have. tch.) and then it could have turned into Eva part II: Gurren Lagann (now with even more depression!)... but Simon takes about two episodes, finds a girlfriend, and delivers the most awesome "He's Back" speech in history. Maybe I'm just really gullible, but I thought that was deconstructiong the "Shinji" archetype.
And I really wouldn't like this macho Shinji at all, It's just my view though.

Honestly? Me neither, 'cause he wouldn't be Shinji. He's be some other Robot Pilot. Like the Mazinger Z kid. And that's the point, it would be generic.

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:25 pm

Adekis wrote: but Simon takes about two episodes, finds a girlfriend, and delivers the most awesome "He's Back" speech in history. Maybe I'm just really gullible, but I thought that was deconstructing the "Shinji" archetype.
...I don't know, that's hopelessness and recovery is somewhat typical in bildungsroman type work, it's not quite deconstruction if it's been the norm...It's during a down it's less common that the heroes don't recover and get systematically picked apart(that slow death gives a good look inside though). I guess it could be novel in the mash up in archetypes though...don't pay much heed to what I say though art is what ever you think it is.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:27 am

Adekis wrote:More to the point, Evangelion, if generic:
*Asuka would be Kazuya
*Shinji would still be a boy. He would, in fact, be more awesome. This is not really a good thing for us, though it is definitely a good thing for him.
*Kaworu would not be romantically linked to Shinji. He might, however, survive the show with only a bruise from getting punched.
*Super-Advanced Robot Saviors: Neon Genesis Mega-G-Lion!
*I would like the ending. I realize, however, that I am a minority in my dislike for EoE.

I do think you need a token girl in there somewhere... Also, in the tradition of the honored Go Nagai Robot shows, I guess Rei could be the one who dies sacrificing his life in battle only to be replaced by an almost identical pilot... you could almost call him a clone... :lol:

Wait. Did NGE actually do just that? O.o
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

SeanTucker
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby SeanTucker » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:58 pm

LiLi wrote:
Adekis wrote:More to the point, Evangelion, if generic:
*Asuka would be Kazuya
*Super-Advanced Robot Saviors: Neon Genesis Mega-G-Lion!

I do think you need a token girl in there somewhere... Also, in the tradition of the honored Go Nagai Robot shows, I guess Rei could be the one who dies sacrificing his life in battle only to be replaced by an almost identical pilot... you could almost call him a clone... :lol:

Wait. Did NGE actually do just that? O.o

Yeah, I think Rei was a pretty deliberate deconstruction of Musashi's character.

(Benkei >>>> Musashi imo, though... may just be because I got into Getter Robo with the New Getter OVA.)
Timstuff wrote:If you live in a Gainax production and are allergic to melons, I imagine you'd be sneezing a lot...

Oh wait, did you mean the fruit?

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”