Will be scarred for life in two days.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Midori
Embryo

Will be scarred for life in two days.

•      
  •      

Postby Midori » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:41 pm

Come monday morning, I will be viewing the infamous End of Evangelion. Iv'e seen small chunks of it, but never the whole thing in order.
Anyone have any tips on how to handle/understand/survive this sudden rush of insanity?
Ever find it a little ironic that the theme for Rebuild of Evangelion is "Beautiful World"?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:59 pm

Live on. And do your best to forget the scene in the hospital.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Midori
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Midori » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:18 pm

-headdesk- Haha, yeah, I already saw that. Needless to say, I still use it whenever I feel like sending my other Eva fan friend into a frenzy.

... It was quite "effed up" as Shinji likes to put it.
Ever find it a little ironic that the theme for Rebuild of Evangelion is "Beautiful World"?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:25 pm

Watched it subbed (although there are a few translation mistakes) and don't listen to Manga's stupid commentary. It'll just fill your head with misinformation or blatant BS. ("There's no word for "I" in Japanese?" :rolleyes: )
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Midori
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Midori » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Watched it subbed (although there are a few translation mistakes) and don't listen to Manga's stupid commentary. It'll just fill your head with misinformation or blatant BS. ("There's no word for "I" in Japanese?" :rolleyes: )

I'm generally not a big fan of dubs, so I'll make sure to do that. I assume EoE entails a lot of screaming, and since I despise Spike Spencer's screaming skills, I'll go for the jap audio even more.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:34 pm

If it's screaming you want, Shinji's Japanese VA won't leave you disappointed.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

jim_loves_randy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jim_loves_randy » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:55 pm

I'd say watch it a few more times if you can to try and get most of it.

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:59 pm

I know I'm going to be dubbed a masochist for admitting to this, but...

I watched EoE before I watched the rest of the series.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:12 am

Do acid before watching it and save yourself the time. Its a great movie though....lawl..Hospital scene.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Semisubtle
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Semisubtle » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:13 am

Same with me, and I was completely lost and confused, as can be expected. But hey, it didn't ruin the series for me, and that's what counts.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:53 am

When I watched it, I watched it twice, one to get the gist of what was going on, and again to look for the little stuff I might have missed. Except for the live action part, which gets a little murky with what was going on, the movie was fairly straightforward. To me, its not really a mindfuck, just brutal.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:59 am

Also, just a slight fyi: Before I saw the movie I read reviews saying it gave people nightmares. While it somehow didn't affect me, I felt I should let you know.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TheAyanamiOtaku
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby TheAyanamiOtaku » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:56 am

I was war whooping and applauding like madness at the end. My parents got mad at me.
Rei: I'm not your puppet.

The Allied States of Syraneen

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:30 am

Watch it in a dark room, with NO DISRUPTIONS. Have a blanket handy. Also, having crazy expectations that it'll make you hallucinate and freak out and have nightmares won't make it a good experience. Just watch it expecting to learn something about the story and the characters.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

jim_loves_randy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby jim_loves_randy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:49 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:it gave people nightmares.

Really? That's just silly.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:53 am

I don't like Eva (I think it's one of the worst series I've seen) but my girlfriend, Konata, likes it and she says this about it:

The secret of Evangelion is that they took super robot pilots and reversed their genders. If Rei was male, he’d be the awesomely silent/cool/calm guy. When he rushes that angel with an N2 mine under his arm sacrificing his life … that is the scene where MANLY TEARS flow for A MAN’S WAY OF LIFE AND DEATH. Asuka, if a man, would be an awesomely HOT BLOODED pilot. And pervy with his advances on Shinji, but a little tsundere. And Shinji, as a weak little girl, as a girl, puts it into context. You’d be fapping furiously to Shinjiko every night because of her shy demeanor. And with girl Kaworu, Shinji x Kaworu would be amazingly hot.
Shinjiko has been called to NERV by her estranged father, called to pilot the EVA. She is reluctant, lashes at her father and says why had she been abandoned. Gendo silently orders ManRei to resume piloting. Manrei comes out, arm in cast, bandage over face. He stoically lifts himself from the hospital bed, ready to fight on.

This is the part where your eyes moisten, for this MAN OF MEN will FIGHT TO DIE, Silent to Death, bound to duty. And yet... only a weak little girl abandoned by her father can face the killer angels in his place. And imagine the reaction to star HOT BLOODED pilot Mansuka, kicking ass and ass kicking angel killer, saving Shinjiko's ass here and there, but she's catching up. She's caught up. She's surpassed him. Out does him consistantly, leaves him behind. For a man who swore to be the best of best, to be second to none, swore on the death of his mother who never loved him... outdone by a timid weak little girl. That would drive him mad, frustrated, furious, psychotic.

That's the secret to understanding Evangelion according to her. I'd just not watch it. Pretentious and overrated.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Ramiel²
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel² » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:38 am

I think you should watch it once with dubs to get the content ,and once with original jap. dub to get the authentic feeling and the looking up for the details.

Allthough i've watchen it allready more then 10 times(with friends,familiy etc.) and i don't think i understand all of it.
So let it overwhelm you ,Only a few Storys/movies/anime had managed to get me this blown away feeling, therefore enjoy it as much as you can, it is worth it!

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:03 am

I watched EoE, said "Huh" and got on with my life.

Kids these days, no spine at all...

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:08 am

my one big tip: Shinji's opening scene at Asuka's bedside....a lot of people mistake that for part of the "actual movie"

it's really the creators raising a middle finger to the fapboy fans, as if to say "THIS is what you are! You didn't care about the wonderful story we creaeted! All you cared about was the hot girls! You didn't treat them as characters! You should be ashamed of yourselves! Screw you!"

but beyond that, it's pretty straightforward (Keep in mind, when I say its "straightforward" this is coming from a guy who read Arthur C. Clarke's "Childhood's End" ahead of time)
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:58 am

V wrote:but beyond that, it's pretty straightforward

Precisely -- if you've read enough SF, then the ground will be familiar. I put most of the miscomprehension that this movie spawns to a lack of suitable pre-reading.

That said, it is still one of the most emotionally raw pieces of cinema I have seen.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”