Your first viewing of "End Of Evangelion??"

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:04 am

SeanTucker wrote:Dude, Kyoko getting torn apart is nightmare fuel for grown men.

When I saw that part, I thought "Unit 02 sure has a lot of entrails. How's it all fit in there?"
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

Evangelion217
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelion217 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Zuggy wrote:You're wrong. There is no episode in the TV series that is like E.O.E., that is, where the characters are moved around in a very contrived way.

Actually you're wrong. "EoE" is no different from the second half of the series. You were just angry at the fact that none of the characters were given a happy ending. ;)

such as Elfen Lied (the intense violence comes off as horrifying to some and hilariously over-the-top to others).

Except the difference is that "Elfen Lied" is basically trash art, that doesn't touch upon anything new, or profound. And the violence is disturbing on a first viewing, but not with repeated viewings. And let's face it, it falls under about 90% of anime. Which mostly consists of gratuitous violence, and excessive nudity. Which might not be a bad thing, but it's one of the reasons to why many people do not take anime seriously.

I totally agree with Chrad. Thanks for that wonderful post. I also love both endings equally. And both of them brought me to tears.

Don't doublepost
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

"Komm Susser Todd" is the most up-lifting song about depression"- Evangelion217

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:06 pm

Except the difference is that "Elfen Lied" is basically trash art, that doesn't touch upon anything new, or profound. And the violence is disturbing on a first viewing, but not with repeated viewings. And let's face it, it falls under about 90% of anime. Which mostly consists of gratuitous violence, and excessive nudity. Which might not be a bad thing, but it's one of the reasons to why many people do not take anime seriously.

[URL=http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/3500/captureje2.jpg]*cough*[/URL]No*cough*

I speak as someone who for a long time disregarded anime for a multitude of reasons, and I know that they had nothing to do with shows like EL. It had more to do with shows like DBZ and other wank-fests.

That and the fans. Fans rarely help things. That should not be surprising.

Elfen Lied rocks :neener:

[/tangent]
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

HENRCAST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HENRCAST » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:35 pm

The first time I watched it I felt terribly offended, I got so mad that I didn't look into anything about EVA in two weeks.

I thought it was a horribly violent, grotesque and shocking movie. There were plenty of scenes in which I felt truly hurt. I'll make a list:

1. Shinji masturbating in front of Asuka: Before that scene I liked Shinji, I really did. Now, after he mastrubated in front of the character which is by far my favourite one I'm not sure. And DON'T say ohhh poor Shinji, he was devastated etc.... I DON'T CARE! Shinji was disgusting here.

But I do admit it's a brilliant way to start this movie. It fits perfectly.

2. Misato kissing Shinji: Uncomfortable, to say the least

3. Asuka's Death: Now, this one is the winner! OMG, look at the way they killed Asuka!! Why did it have to be so bloody and shocking? Why did they have to kill her in the first place?! (Ok, I do know why)

4. I need you: Kimochi Warui. End. Frist reaction: .......... WTF?

AND they kill every single character you love in the most brutal way possible. So to sumarize it, after watching EoE for the first time I felt very, very traumatized.

Now, after watching EoE a lot, I understand it a lot more, and I don't hate it that much anymore. Even though I still think the movie is way too pessimistic and frightening, and that it involves more mindfucking than the whole hole series, I understood it's message and it's ultimately a positive one. Plus, everyone can come back, right?

And, I think they succeded in creating a unforgetable and unique ending, one that won't please everyone, but Eva never pleased everyone, to begin with. It's an unique ending to an unique series.

That doesn't mean I like EoE though. But EVA couldn't have ended in other way.

In the end: 9/10 (not 10/10 because only Mega Man 9 is 10/10).
Last edited by HENRCAST on Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Iron Rooster
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Iron Rooster » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:40 pm

Oddly one thing that stuck out for some reason to me was when Gendo shoved his hand into Rei's chest and THEN moved it DOWNWARDS. Something about that made me cringe.

I actually didn't seem to think Asuka's death was that bad. If you know Eva's are biological in nature, then it ain't too bad. Also, I thought Unit 03's thorough shredding was actually worse than Unit 02's death. Unit 02's death just happened to be shown in more gruesome detail.
STROOPWAFELS!!!!!!!
Don't trust a prince on a white horse. He probably likes to rape dolls.
Dumbest thread I've ever started

HENRCAST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HENRCAST » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:45 pm

Iron Rooster wrote:Oddly one thing that stuck out for some reason to me was when Gendo shoved his hand into Rei's chest and THEN moved it DOWNWARDS. Something about that made me cringe.

Yes, that scene was truly weird. But I wouldn't expect less coming from Gendo.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:51 pm

@ the fapping scene: It's hard to feel to sorry for Asuka, seeing as how she demands a repeat performance later in the movie. ("Either jerk off in front of me, or go to hell!" is essentially what she tells him in the train car bit.) Hell, given he ueber-callousness in the kitchen scene, it's hard to feel sorry for her, period. I mean, Shinji finally confesses his feelings for her, and she responds by going on a rampage.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

HENRCAST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HENRCAST » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:03 pm

Lucretius wrote:@ the fapping scene: It's hard to feel to sorry for Asuka, seeing as how she demands a repeat performance later in the movie. ("Either jerk off in front of me, or go to hell!" is essentially what she tells him in the train car bit.) Hell, given he ueber-callousness in the kitchen scene, it's hard to feel sorry for her, period. I mean, Shinji finally confesses his feelings for her, and she responds by going on a rampage.

But that was only on Shinji's mind, wasn't it? Like I read somewhere, that was most likely Shinji's perception of Asuka and not Asuka herself. Plus, she wouldn't let Shinji just strangle her. Yes, for me, it is quite clear that this happened only on Shinji's mind.

Asuka would be a little more like: BAKA Shinji! Take your hands off me!

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:14 pm

It's most likely real. The sex scene between Misato and Kaji really happened. (Ritsuko said in episode 23 that Misat and Kaji spent a whole week getting it on.) And Asuka's facial expression in the kitchen scene mirrors exactly her facial expression in the "Shinji won't hold me!" scene in episode 22. Shinji wouldn't know that, but the viewer does. "Take your hands off me!" is the exact opposite of the sentiment she expresses in 22'...

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

HENRCAST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HENRCAST » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:54 am

I sense we will start an endless and useless discussion here
But I don't care! >.<

So, seriously, I fail to understand how that section could possibly be real. Along with all those other very weird scenes (like young Shinji playing with his doll-friends in that playground) that happened during Instrumentality, everything was in Shinji's mind.

How could he be with Asuka if she was dead?
How could they be in Misato's apartment?
Why would Asuka let Shinji just strangle her?
How could Pen-Pen be there if Misato sent him away along with Hikari?
How could Asuka know that Shinji masturbated in front of her if she was unconsious? Only Shinji knows what he did in that hospital.

Those scenes are very similar to EoTV scenes. They present most of Shinji's insecurities (like being hated by other people) but in a much, much darker way.

And they show his perception of the other characters. That scene was most likely what Shinji thought about Asuka. He cares a lot about her, but in his vision, she doesn't give a shit about him. And we know that is not true.

Lucretius wrote:"Take your hands off me!" is the exact opposite of the sentiment she expresses in 22'...

But Shinji wasn't strangling her XD. Also, Asuka would never go to Shinji and say: Ohh Shinji hug me, don't let me go off your arms! She never shows her feelings in such an open way.

Well, we probably won't get anywhere here, but one of the coolest things about Eva is being able to interpret a scene in a variety of ways. That's what keeps a forum about a 10 year old anime alive, discussions about each person's interpretation of the series.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:21 am

@HENRCAST:
The idea is not that that stuff is happening in physical reality (how can it be, since Shinji is a puddle of Tang, Rei is giant and naked, and Misato, Asuka, and Ritsuko are, um, dead...), but that it is a 'mental construct' where the character's involved are all actively participating and contributing; that is, it's a mind-trip that they're all having together. If you go back and watch the sequence, and bannish from your mind the notion that this is merely 'all in Shinji's head', and instead take what each character is saying and doing as originating from that character's mind and will, then it will all make about a million times more sense...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:33 pm

Really it's all in Shiji's mind -- just that everyone else is using it at the same time, like Gendo explained in episode 25:

Gendou wrote: No,
It's not that everything returns to nothingness.
It's nothing but returning everything to the beginning.
Nothing but returning things to the mother which
has long since been lost.
All the minds become one mind, obtaining peace forever.
Nothing but that.

and we know that the Transition Guide Rei-tachi go around collecting the freshly dead (in NGE physics you don't even have to worry about information-theoretic death, you just have to locate the soul) as well as the living.

The strangling in the second apartment flashback, the coffee-pot scene makes the metaphorical slaying

episode 24' wrote:Asuka (OFF):
I don't want to hear any more of that garbage from you!
You're just stupid anyway, Shinji!

Shinji (OFF):
How many times do I have to tell you?! Kaji's gone!

whence she goes and takes a bath into a more literal one as they rehearse what they thought/felt.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:08 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Really it's all in Shiji's mind -- just that everyone else is using it at the same time, like Gendo explained in episode 25:

Interesting way of putting it. Although all the characters are "there" and are actively participating, Pre-Instrumentality seems to be very much a dreamscape originating from Shinji, and follows a sort of nightmare logic. I don't think it's any coincidence that Misato and Kaji's sexathon happened to surface; Shinji's probably still reeling from the "adult kiss." The other characters only seem to speak when Shinji directs his attention towards them. Asuka has the most lines, probably because she's the one Shinji most wants approbation from. Ritsuko only speaks once, probably because Shinji barely knows her. I think what we witness in 26' is vey much "The Case of Shinji Ikari." If EoTV and EoE are to be viewed as concurrent, then Misato and Asuka must have had a very different experience of P3II.

Sorry for rambling. Just felt up for some fruitless speculation.

HENRCAST
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby HENRCAST » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:47 am

Mr. Tines wrote:Really it's all in Shiji's mind -- just that everyone else is using it at the same time, like Gendo explained in episode 25:

Now, that makes so much more sense. OMG, how could I not have noticed it before?! Since all minds come together in Instrumentality, all that could be "real". And now it also makes sense that Asuka knows that Shinji masturbated on her and that Shinji knows about Misato and Kaji having sex. Since all minds are one, they would be able to "see" each other's memories, right?

thank you guys, now EoE makes THAT much more sense!

jenova7
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby jenova7 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:30 am

I had only seen the first dvd of eva before i saw the movie. I didn't sleep that night.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:02 pm

Have I mentioned in this thread that I watched EoE with my cousin the first time in Japanese without subtitles?

It was like :( :dejected: :frowny: :headscratch: :headbash: :blankie: :flamethrower: :butbutbut:

Just like that. The whole movie.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:30 pm

Holy crap! That must have been an experience!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Dramamine
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Dramamine » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:51 pm

My first viewing of EoE was an appalling experience. No, I'm not commenting on EoE itself, but the way I had to view it. For some reason, I don't know why, but I did... I used Youtube to try and view the entire film, now there were two versions out on youtube at that time. The english dubbed version cut up into nine parts, or the Japanese version cut up into 16 one minute parts, and the latter didn't seem logical. So I went with the dub...

I missed half the movie, I damn the person who put those nine parts up to the very bowels of hell! Everything was ruined for me, and nothing made sense even transitioned into another. (The Swingset scene was excluded as well.) I was practically bursting at the seams with indignation. Until. Until I came upon 'One More Final: I Need You' as I saw that perfect masterpiece roll on the screen, what I was just feeling dissipated, I was awed at how utterly beautiful Shinji and Asuka were on that LCL surrounded beach.

And after the legendary phrase, "How Disgusting" was uttered in the coldest voice possible... I bawled for what seemed an hour, I had never experienced anything quite like it, as though my life was changing, and I could actually feel the fiber of my soul accepting it...

I will never forget that first viewing.
"There is no dark side of the moon, really... as a matter of fact, it's all dark."

-Gerry O'Driscoll

Ramiel²
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel² » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:59 pm

Oh i have a good story to tell for you guys ;)

I watched Eva about 10 months ago.

It was ..wait a sec, i think 1 or two weeks till my 18th birthday.
It was actuall in my holydays ,and i was quite depressed.
I was like: well, you're getting 18 so what? You don't have/had a girlfried,you dont drink alcohol,party is not your thing, nobody special is to come,so wtf its just another birthday..

You know ,back is was young i thought a different way, i thought that getting 18 means, to get finally an adult,but then i realized,that beeing adult ,doesnt have to do with anything due to your age.

So i played lot of online games (and looked sometimes Anime on stream sites).

Someday in that holiyday, i was really bored, nothing to do,one nonsense -day after another, i thought about looking up maybe an proper anime,that could distract me from thinking about life in sucha n odd way..( how ironic in remeber..).

Well i go through the list of what that side had and stopped an NGE.
I looked at the picture and sorta remebered something.
"Dude,you saw that somewhere allready,but where und more importent WHEN?"
After take a closer look i saw Rei, and it just kicked in my face.

At the age of i assume 12 or 13? dont know any more, i wished as a present for b-day an artbook (more like Something manga-ish ^^)
And i went too the shop with my father to decide.
Back then i remember our shop hat the artbook "der Mond" with Rei on top of it.
I was kinde well ashamed ( you know guys i hardly could imagine my father to bye me an artbook of something ,that has an alsmost naked girl on top of it ,in really fanservice like clothing[plug suite-well appeared like that to me back those days]).So i choosed the Dragon ball artbook..
Thinking of that goes like shit for today ,i've should said,"give me the money and i chose later"..i sure buy'ed the NGE artbook.
After soem time i wasnt really satisfied with the Dragonball artbook,but it was kind of " oh well don't care at all" in my mind.

So i remembered that moment , also i remember to heard that this manga was very good or at least known around the world,so i thought:
" Well i give it a try,nobody forces to look me all 26 ep."

The HELL! After watching the first ep i was addicted by 100% to it.
Just watched one ep after the other.

Due to the holidays my biorythm changed a bit from lay down to bed @3 o'clock and stand up at..2 p.m. ..
Well i thought " i use that to get me through the night to get more torn out ,that i could sleep easily when i go to bed the next day at 11 or so.

So for one point the show fullfilled the purpose, i looked the whole night+morning NGE + EoE at the and...

By one night...

I think you can imagine in what state i was wheni finished,the bad part was ,that i had to leave because ,i was invited to a Gaming round with xbox and so ,by my friend.

Man i was so fucked up..i thought the whole time of eva it fucked up my mind really hard.of course i couldn't explain what was going on to my friend,because i apperently plaexd really shity due to beeing fucked up..( lol synchro rate to ego shooters goes down after whatching NGE and beeing overvhelmed by that stuff).
I said i looked an anime that made me really feel weird,he asked what anime it was,so i said it to him:
Neon genesis evangelion

And he went like :" Ahhhhhhhh, i`ve heard of that...dude ,srsly i think it would be better if you take a rest, go home, we repeat this another time ;))

Well it taked about 2 weeks to get somehow out of that process of organize my mind back.

But i can tell you what changed after that.
My View of life changed very hard, its hard to explain how,but some people mentioned it before it is like getting opened your eyes on force.
I view many things different know, on a philosofical way and on an human social way, also my understandement of physics has grown massively(more interessts in sience att all).

To sum ep,my life changed and i think i will remember nge for ever because of this.

And as the cherry on top.

I got a wish to my parents, who kinde see me going through this process,they were really impressed of my developement,so my wish was to have this series+ Movie on DVD,so i can watch it everytime to remember .

And like this my 18th b-day changed to the at least untill most important birthday in my life ...

I think somehow it is a really nice story, and the fact that i remember those whole stuff today proves myself of beeing changed through Eva.
And im happy about it.

Regards Ramiel²

Recall
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Recall » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:46 pm

swamp147 wrote:Wow I'm glad I bothered watching all 26 episodes and Death (well, Death not really, but it was good to 'review') before watching EoE.

EoTV: I thought 'wtf?' That's it? Why are they even congratulating him? Is that all in his head? This makes no sense!!!

I love that...its like everyone just went, OMG I have to think!

"Its just a dream, you're using fantasy to escape reality"

The whole point of NGE no-one ever gets. It has nothing to do with Mecha its one giant dream.
[size=75][color=darkred]

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”