If you like Rei....why? (survey)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:39 am

I think I mostly like Rei because she seemed the best bet... I mean, in a series as good as Eva with so much fandom around it, there has to be some shipping, and I really couldn't see any concievable shipping of Shinji with other characters that might work. Shinji and Rei obviously have a thing going -- the same is true of Shinji and Misato, and Shinji and Asuka, but in the end a vague unprovable genetic resemblance that neither party knows about is less of an impediment than 10+ years or a pathologically abrasive and abusive personality. At least it seemed so at the time. Rewatching the series last week, I noticed for the first time that Asuka had any kind of soft side -- in the 6 or 7 previous viewings, I hadn't noticed it at all, and thought it was an invention of the fanfiction writers. I suppose in the end, all the shipping parties really just pick and choose their favourite bits -- there isn't much more series content supportive of a Shinji & Asuka pairing than a Shinji and Rei pairing. I think that perhaps there's the most of a Shinji & Misato pairing, just content-wise, but it's more of a doomed potential due to the age and rank differences, and the fact that Misato has a conscience. (If it were a female Gendou, she'd order Shinji to screw her, and wouldn't even be drunk.)

TemporalKnight
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TemporalKnight » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:01 am

Yeah another S/R shipper!

(If it were a female Gendou, she'd order Shinji to screw her, and wouldn't even be drunk.)

So true. Though I'm not sure whether I find this hilarious or disturbing...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

Dancemacabre
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dancemacabre » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:51 am

ROCK ON TEMPORALKNIGHT AND ENKI V.2!!!!!!!!!!!! Shinji x Rei FOREVER!
A moment of silence for Rei x Shinji forever...

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:01 am

I always thought Rei would be more quiet and comfortable. Asuka would be fun for a day or two... but here attitude would grate. I mean, how many fucking times could you listen to *that* voice snarking away belittling every little thing I do.

Rei is quiet, Rei is comfortable. Rei is nice and cool and peaceful. Sometimes, a little bit of peace and quiet is a nice thing.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:19 am

Dartz wrote:I always thought Rei would be more quiet and comfortable. Asuka would be fun for a day or two... but here attitude would grate. I mean, how many fucking times could you listen to *that* voice snarking away belittling every little thing I do.

Rei is quiet, Rei is comfortable. Rei is nice and cool and peaceful. Sometimes, a little bit of peace and quiet is a nice thing.

Amen. And Rei can actually be very precise in her wording at times (unlike some characterizations), so I don't think the quietness would really be as much of a turn off as it sometimes is when you are trying to get someone to say what they mean.

p06
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby p06 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:48 am

Dartz wrote:I always thought Rei would be more quiet and comfortable. Asuka would be fun for a day or two... but here attitude would grate. I mean, how many fucking times could you listen to *that* voice snarking away belittling every little thing I do.

And to think that Shinji chose the Asuka over Rei in EoE (killing Rei in the process) :( Her tragic end makes her all the more beautiful

*heavy offtopic fanwank*
To me this choice was reflective of human imperfection, and the human inability to accept perfection due to his own imperfection. Shinji was given the choice of a perfect union ("becoming one" should he have chosen instrumentality) versus an imperfect union (distance between the souls, friction between the individuals); between Rei (the iconic flawless character) and Asuka (character flaws scattered throughout series).
-=p06 51 3w=-
:+5134+063

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:17 pm

p06 wrote:And to think that Shinji chose the Asuka over Rei in EoE (killing Rei in the process) :( Her tragic end makes her all the more beautiful

I don't believe Shinji knew that choice involved killing her. It may have actually been entirely circumstantial to the fact, considering her neck slashed itself open before he even got an explanation as to what instrumentality was. When he choose to go back and see "them" (not just Asuka) Rei was also in the picture, so there's no evidence that he actually did intend to pick the redhead over her.
Last edited by NemZ on Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:52 pm

p06 wrote:And to think that Shinji chose the Asuka over Rei in EoE (killing Rei in the process)

Rei's looking in better shape there than Asuka's about to be.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:15 pm

Except 1) that's just Lilith's soul, not her body. 2) Shinji stops.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:28 pm

Except 1) that's just Lilith's soul, not her body.

Then how come she's clearly visible? That tends to tell me she was at least as solid and real as her messengers in Instrumentality.

Also, to be considered alive in Eva, you need a working and living soul. You admit she has one. Ergo, she is alive by your own statement.
[/opinion]
[size=75]My (fan-)fiction [color=blue]

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:30 pm

NemZ wrote:When he choose to go back and see "them" (not just Asuka) Rei was also in the picture, so there's no evidence that he actually did intend to pick the redhead over her.

Lol come on, you don't even see Rei's face in that picture. She is completely background.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:54 pm

Formless One wrote:Then how come she's clearly visible?

Same way she was clearly visible at the beginning of the very first episode, surely, and that was no Rei in the flesh.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:01 pm

Same way she was clearly visible at the beginning of the very first episode, surely, and that was no Rei in the flesh.

Well, the point was, if she can project such images (a la Lillths messengers) in the first place, it generally points to her being alive. That as the central point I was making.
[/opinion]

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Oh sure, but alive != right there in 3D with full screen anti-aliasing.

Formless One
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Formless One » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:13 pm

Semantics. Obviously she is ink on paper barring a QM multiverse ;). In-universe however...
[/opinion]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:18 pm

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Lol come on, you don't even see Rei's face in that picture. She is completely background.

...which is why I think it captures her quite well, actually. Very typical Rei behavior, or lack thereoff.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:27 pm

BobBQ wrote:Oh sure, but alive != right there in 3D with full screen anti-aliasing.

Or with bloody knee-socks floating off the ground.

And we all know why Shinji didn't pick Rei: HE IS A TOTAL MASOCHIST. This is also the only explanation for why he is both prude and continuously horny, and why he decides to tease only the psychotic redhead who can kick his ass and the drunken gaurdian who will hit on him to get back at him, and follows Rei after she totally ignores his presence around her nudity, ignores him on the street and train, grabs her card angrily, and slaps him.

StevieC
Embryo

For me,

•      
  •      

Postby StevieC » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:06 pm

When I look at Rei I see someone who wants to escape her suffering. She has tried to use death to escape, and it hasn't worked. I just imagine what it'd be like to have the chance to show her that life can be something other than pain. I also suspect that Rei has an IQ somewhere above 200.
Stevie-C,
Resident Character
Grand Rapids Community College
Michigan

"This is. Ma-Ma-Max Headroom."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:37 am

Anonymous_Evafan wrote:Lol come on, you don't even see Rei's face in that picture. She is completely background.

Rei is always very self-effacing. And from the pictorial evidence, Shinji is interested in getting into serious physical contact with someone other than the red-head. :devil:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:46 am

Right, I'm not taking you serious this week Tines.

NemZ wrote:...which is why I think it captures her quite well, actually. Very typical Rei behavior, or lack thereoff.

Uh huh, this has what to do with the fact that Shinji is rather oblivious to her presence as he is standing right in front of her like she doesn't exist?
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”