Some things I need clearing up about the show.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

mastervampire
Adam

Some things I need clearing up about the show.

•      
  •      

Postby mastervampire » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:32 am

Im a huge evangelion fan, its my favourite anime but ive got a few quesitons that i need clearing up so i understand it better.

1. I know that angles and humans arnt supposed to live on the same planet togeather, but what would happend if humans developed space travel and went to a planet dominated by Angels to take a look?

2. Are the FAR who made the seads of life still alive themselves?

3. Before third impact, what happens to a person and their soul when they die? e.g goto "heaven" or back to liltih or something?

4. At the end of EoE is the whole world trashed? How would Shinji and Asuka survive?

5. When Shinji went on the huge mind trip near the end of the movie after he saw the naked Rei/kaworu was he actually still inside eva unit 1? or somewhere else?

6. When he went on that mind trip was he actually speaking to real people who got caught up in the instrumentality? e.g Asuka or miasto?

7. How does seele get a soul from adam or lilith and put in in a human body? i never understood that, its just floating around or they take it from their body or something?

8. Nerv HQ, is that actually inside liliths egg?

Thanks a lot :)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Some things i need clearing up about the show

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:07 am

1 -- incompatible ecosystems are incompatible.
2 -- insufficient data
3 -- insufficient data
4 -- IMHO, yes, and well...
5 -- It's not clear where his locus of consciousness was. Early scenarios for the movie have him re-embody in the entry plug.
6 -- yes (how else does he find out about Misato's sexathon).
7 -- advanced metabiological techniques as pioneered by Prof. Fuyutsuki and his star student Yui Ikari.
8 -- yes, the GeoFront is a FAR artefact, also known as the Black Moon.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

swamp147
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby swamp147 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:10 am

Good questions!

1. Not sure. They'd kill one another? I don't know if some huge catastrophe will happen if they made contact.

2. I don't think we've been given enough info to know for sure. Answer is probably "probably," since the FAR are pretty much ownage.

3. Where do souls go when someone dies? I don't know if NGE is specific on this since its universe isn't really associated with a certain religion or belief system.

4. http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4354&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
like that, maybe?

5. I think he was inside Shogouki until he got tanged and merged with everyone else.

6. I think he was communicating with them, yes, since their minds have merged.

7. Not sure. Adam was reduced to an embryo after the 2nd impact, but I'm not sure what happened to the soul. It might've been 'captured' or ripped from the embryo, or who knows. Fanwank?

8. I think so. The Black Moon.

Edit - Mr.Tines you're a quick one!

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:12 am

I can't guarentee accuracy, as you're asking the big unknowns.

1. The fact that the FAR weren't an interstellar empire implies that it's pretty much impossible, SoL or not.

2. Unknown.

3. Either the soul stays in the body for all time, or they eventually get recycled and become a new individual. Hard to say.

4. The whole world wasn't trashed. They woke up in a city that had been trashed by two N2 mines (at least), Ramiel, Israfel's explosion, Sahaquiel's explosion, and Armisael's explosion. The rest of the world would have looked quite normal. Also, we saw trees post-3I, implying that the ecosystem bounced back.

5. Dunno.

6. I think so, but I don't understand 3I.

7. They never did. Adam & Lilith came implanted with souls that they released. If they'd still had souls in them, they would have been in their Rooms of Guf (the vagina-like organs on their palms).

8. Basically, I think.

Hopefully Reichu will rescue us here.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:15 am

Legendary wrote:Also, we saw trees post-3I

There's something happening in the background.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

swamp147
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby swamp147 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:17 am

Mr. Tines wrote:well...

NO
That definitely will NOT happen.

!!!

Let the optimism flow please!

majlund
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby majlund » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:22 am

"Everytime someone mentions 3rd Impact, Mr.Tines will post 'his' picture."
Si vis Pacem para Bellum

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:54 am

Mr. Tines wrote:

OH NO NOT AGAIN :lol:

Didn't Reichu tell you to stop this or something?

oh right, you're both admins and admins can't boss each other around...

Personally I think you should read the epic geek fight in here before jumping to conclusions, mastervampire

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:29 am

mastervampire wrote:Im a huge evangelion fan, its my favourite anime but ive got a few quesitons that i need clearing up so i understand it better.

1. I know that angles and humans arnt supposed to live on the same planet togeather, but what would happend if humans developed space travel and went to a planet dominated by Angels to take a look?

Presumably....that might be one of the reasons why the FAR created the Dead Sea Scrolls: so that if a Lilith-based sentient race developed spaceflight, and found an Angel planet, they'd know NOT to try poking around with that planet's Adam. As for the Angels.....I think they're bound to one planet. I mean they don't reproduce; this ties into the bigger question of "would Adam have kept making more Angels if she hadn't been interrupted, or were there always supposed to be only ~15 Angel-progeny? But even with space-borne Angels like Sahaquiel and Arael, I think they're bound to a planet.

Much like the Firstborn in "2001: A Space Odyssey", the race that built the Monoliths, who the FAR are directly based on....I'd say they've transcended the material plane and become the "Lords of the Galaxy" etc

3. Before third impact, what happens to a person and their soul when they die? e.g goto "heaven" or back to liltih or something?

"soul" in Evangelion is a loaded term with different meanings. I don't know about heaven in that metaphysical sense. But in the Eva sense of a "soul" is a live-form thing you need to animate flesh, I don't know if souls simply "die" or if they return to "Lilith", BUT I see no reason to assume they return to Lilith; they just DIE (where would all the calculators go!)

4. At the end of EoE is the whole world trashed? How would Shinji and Asuka survive?

The Geofront got physically picked out of the ground by Rei/Lilith. The Geofront is actually "Lilith's Black Moon" and is a sphere over 12 kilometers in diameter. Tokyo-3 got vaporized by the N2 bomb, but even Nerv HQ, and indeed, a good chunk of the surrounding countryside, was physically uprooted and then destroyed; there's just this miles'-wide crater in the ground, which I would assume will soon form a big expansion to Lake Ashino.

But as for what effects from "Third Impact" were felt on the planet even in other regions far away from the battle, like the USA....honestly I don't know, but I think the world is really empty; also imagine if all the people driving cars and flying planes suddenly got Tanged, and stuff would probably crash a lot. Still, its not as post-apocalyptic as you think based on EoE, where we see the devastation in the immediate area in Japan they are.

5. When Shinji went on the huge mind trip near the end of the movie after he saw the naked Rei/kaworu was he actually still inside eva unit 1? or somewhere else?

Although there are some that would argue with this, I do believe that "pre-3rd Impact" happened "in Shinji's mind", but was not merely a hallucination but was facillitated by Rei/Lilith; it was like a mind-meld.

6. When he went on that mind trip was he actually speaking to real people who got caught up in the instrumentality? e.g Asuka or miasto?

In the pre-3rd Impact scenes, no. That's just Shinji's internal perceptions of people coming back to haunt him; i.e. Shinji thinks that Asuka is mean and doesn't like him; the REAL Asuka we see is actually hurting inside because Shinji never opens up to her, and if Shinji actually said "Asuka I want to help you, and be with you, forever" the REAL Asuka's reaction would be VERY different. That's kind of what she always wanted, actually.

As for DURING 3rd Impact......I don't know. Maybe. But all individual "wills" have been lost at that point; Shinji still has some of his because he's in Eva-01 and is at "the center" of it all and Lilith/Rei wants to show him all the possibilities; but most "individual" people aren't there anymore; it's just that cacophony of images and voices.

7. How does seele get a soul from adam or lilith and put in in a human body? i never understood that, its just floating around or they take it from their body or something?

"Metaphysical biology" - the fictional branch of science which deals with "soul mechanics" and serves as the series' "Magic wand" for such events.

I am not sure if they need physical contact to get a soul or can just "pluck it from the air"; certainly, all the contact experiments were needed to get human souls, but the thing is.....they always find the CORPSE of people they need to get the soul of; Adam they found some genetic material from, Rei 2 they found her BBQ'd remains, etc. So they could get "Adam's soul" maybe from his genetic material in the Antarctic? even Kaworu left a corpse.........but then again, how did his soul reunite with his embryo body? Could Gendo have done that on his own? I doubt it. Yeah....come to think of it, how did the soul of Adam from Kaworu get back to Adam in Gendo's hand? Gendo or just floating around?

er....long story short they can't just pluck the souls of humans from the air, they need to grab them from a person, but there is speculation as to whether or not they can use the soul of someone who is already dead (i.e. Naoko)

very much so. But the full "Black Moon" is actually much bigger than the GeoFront: the "GeoFront cavern" is just barely the "top edge" of a massive perfect sphere buried underground. The Geofront is about ~1 km tall in places and 6 km in diameter at the bottom; in contract, the entire, buried Geofront is over ~13 kilometers in diameter.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:02 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:There's something happening in the background.

A great pity the writers and animators promptly forgot about it.

V wrote:Presumably....that might be one of the reasons why the FAR created the Dead Sea Scrolls:

There is no evidence that the SDSS were directly written by the FAR, and the required logistics are - as has been said before many times - painful.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:05 pm

mastervampire wrote:Im a huge evangelion fan, its my favourite anime but ive got a few quesitons that i need clearing up so i understand it better.

Thanks a lot :)

1. I dunno lol.

2. Unknown.

3. No clue.

4. It's left open to interpretation.

5. Open to intepretation.

6. Yes.

7. SCIENCE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

8. I believe so.

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zerogoki » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:43 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:Image

:headbash: :headdesk: :gunmouth:

Re. questions:

1, 2, 3 and 7 = a whole heap of dunno!
For 4, see the threads already referred to and try not to look at Tines' Picture of DoomTM...
5. Umm, the answer is inside you...blowing in the wind...just around the corner...[insert cliche here]...
6. What Tines said.
8. Yes.

Evageeks - where all your questions are answered...sort of. :thumbsup:
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:58 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:

Lilith's falling over? She's not going to damage very much. Neither will the harpies, and she certainly isn't bleeding enough to smother every plant on Earth long enough for them to drown.

There's not enough velocity for the force of the impact to spread very far, really.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:45 pm

As far as the "Picture of epic doom" goes...

I expect that most of the world is more or less salvageable depending on the particular mix of people who come back there. Most of Japan, however, is going to be FUBAR. Yes, there are many happy little trees in the pic. You may also take note of the tidal wave (the first of several) that is looming higher than any of the pictured mountains.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Zerogoki
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Zerogoki » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:04 pm

:siren: Warning. Warning. :siren:
:hijacked:
This is not a drill!

Can I humbly suggest that to save us from yet another locked thread, discussion relating to question 4 be redirected to this thread that Xard posted? (Before Reichu arrives and rains damnation on us...)
zerogokiru theories make Zerogoki want to hit walls...
#I've got a soul,
But I'm not going to tell you whose...#

"It was originally Happy Magic Virtue Shield." NAveryW on the heap of odd that is the Enchanted Shield of Virtue...
Brikhaus: "I would use Eva-02 (because it's red) to deliver toys to all the good little girls and boys of the world on a single night. That night? September 19th, which is Talk Like a Pirate Day."

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:52 pm

why of course, Zerogoki: after all, being 10 months since any new Evangelion stuff and 6 months at least before Rebuild 2.0, we're currently facing a massive 4-5 new Evangelion discussion threads a month, and that's far, far too many.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:53 pm

V wrote:Presumably....that might be one of the reasons why the FAR created the Dead Sea Scrolls:

There is no evidence that the SDSS were directly written by the FAR, and the required logistics are - as has been said before many times - painful.

Classified Information files. Even Rachel will side with that.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:03 am

I thought most of the stuff in the first post had to do with the games...
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:21 am

NemZ wrote:I expect that most of the world is more or less salvageable depending on the particular mix of people who come back there. Most of Japan, however, is going to be FUBAR. Yes, there are many happy little trees in the pic. You may also take note of the tidal wave (the first of several) that is looming higher than any of the pictured mountains.

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:08 am

a fanfic thing I always kind of liked with the "anyone can come back" thing is a variation that Misato and Kaji could come back, as 14 year old teenagers like the Eva pilots (which would be kind of fun). However, I really think Kaji died too long before Third Impact to be resurrected.
Who is "Codename V"?....

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”