Random Hypothetical: Gender Bender?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:12 pm

Source was some Sadamoto interview but I just can't remember where to find it. Maybe the mailing board knows about it?

The thing that is most funny about the thing is only theme - I must not run away - was already present, heck, apart from that Anno yet had no intention to make it such a personal and...powerful work.

None of the characters were written yet.

So Anno DIDN'T do gender swap - there was no Asuka, Misato, Rei etc. before Shinji's/Shinjiko's gender decision - but on surface level it seems so and this tidbit makes the whole thing even more lulzy with its implications :lol:

pat457
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby pat457 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:05 pm

Reichu wrote:Image

Personally, I think this one is better (albeit not as funny):

We need a translation of what they're saying. (I figured out some of it once, sort of, but... yeah.)

Ikemen Misato and Ritsuko? :guffaw:

Incidentally, I like Shinko better with short hair. Shinji only really requires the fundamental "cosmetic alterations" to be a great kawaii ko. (Okay, one of these is a repost, but they're such great fanarts, and I wish I knew who did them.)

(snip)

Well, considering that Shinji had a girl's (Nadia's) eyes already, it wouldn't be too great a leap...:thumbsup:

HISASHIBURI DANA Shinji!!!

Did you also see the one with Misato? Much more disturbing than the one I posted...:bigeyes:

zimlord
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby zimlord » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:45 pm

Reichu wrote:Image

YAMAAZAAAAKIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:59 pm

You're in luck because I JUST (seriously) stumbled across the translation:

~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:30 pm

pat457 wrote:Ikemen Misato and Ritsuko? :guffaw:

That's a new word for me. :adds to dic:

Well, considering that Shinji had a girl's (Nadia's) eyes already, it wouldn't be too great a leap...:thumbsup:

His whole face is pretty much taken from Nadia, in fact.

Did you also see the one with Misato? Much more disturbing than the one I posted...:bigeyes:

I'll have to look around and put it into my private artillery...

SSD wrote:You're in luck because I JUST (seriously) stumbled across the translation:

Ah, thank you! Could use touch-up to make it sound natural. (E.g., "Youth really is something!")

:starts stacking books onto male!Rei's head:

Xard wrote: So Anno DIDN'T do gender swap - there was no Asuka, Misato, Rei etc. before Shinji's/Shinjiko's gender decision - but on surface level it seems so and this tidbit makes the whole thing even more lulzy with its implications

Not sure what you mean by "Anno DIDN'T do gender swap". There is a refreshing amount of gender-role subversion in the cast.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:49 pm

I'll contribute by summarizing what the episodes would look like, assuming things stuck in rough outline to the series. As a note, though, Angels 1, 2, 12, and 15-17 are the only ones with gender reversals (Adam and Lilith as they are explicitly female in the series, Leliel, Arael, and Armisael because they 'speak' with the Children, and Kaworu because 'she' takes on a human form). The others simply don't outwardly display their primary or secondary characteristics. ESPECIALLY in Shamshel's case.

Another important note is that when characters act within their stereotypical gender roles (Shinji flirting back w/ Misato in the car, Asuka's striking the gang), these reactions are flipped to match the expected reaction (in this case, Shinko doesn't flirt back, a bit disturbed by the attentions of a man 15 years her senior)

A BRIEF SUMMARY OF Shito, shūrai/Angel Attack:

Sachiel swims into Tokyo-3, and a state of emergency is declared when Shinko arrives. She wonders where Masato is, looking at a picture of him in a speedo. In the corner of her eye, she sees Rei, but birds distract her and she looks away as Sachiel meanders towards her. Masato arrives, smiling, and tells Shinko to get in the car, which she does.

The N2 mine strikes, with Masato protecting Shinko, and he asks her to help him push the car over. They also steal supplies to get the car working. Continuing the drive, Masato flirts slightly with Shinko, which causes her to become embarassed and argue that he isn't all that mature. On the car-train, Masato picks up the conversation again, this time about Shinko's mother Gen. Shinko knows little about her mother, except that she is working on something to benefit humanity. This conversation causes her to remember being left alone crying shortly after her father's death.

The duo arrive at NERV, and Masato quickly gets lost, ultimately forced to call Ritsuo, who arrives and insults Masato for his incompetence. Ritsuo then leads Shinko and Masato to Shogouki, taking them past the frozen form of Zerogouki on the way there. Shinko is shocked when Shogouki looms out of the darkness, and even more so when Gen expects her to pilot it. When Shinko refuses, Gen tells Fuyutski to get Rei.

Rei is carted into the room by doctors, and attempts to get up but fails, collapsing onto the stretcher panting and groaning. An earthquake shakes the building, disconnecting him from the IV units and knocking him onto the floor. Shinko, a kind soul, rushes over to the stretcher to help him, nearly getting herself killed when several ceiling lights collapse. The only thing that saves her is Shogouki reaching his arm out and protecting her, much to the shock of Masato and Ritsuo.

Shinko attempts to pull Rei up into the stretcher, but can't lift him and only gets blood all over her hands. Not wanting this strange boy (who she thinks she's seen before) to die, she uncertainly volunteers to pilot Shogouki. The female technicians set everything up, and LCL floods into the Entry Plug, freaking her out. Masato disparagingly tells her that she's "a big girl now," and to stop whining.

Shogouki is launched near Sachiel's position, and the battle begins.

In short, this episode seems pretty similar, although Misato's abusive qualities and Gendo's pretty shitty parenting become even more noticable.

Up next, "Mishiranu, tenjō/The Beast."

EDITs: Fixed Shi/Sho thingymagummy, and edited one tiny detail to make it more close to the original series.
Last edited by Legendary on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:09 pm

Legendary wrote:The others simply don't outwardly display their primary or secondary characteristics. ESPECIALLY in Shamshel's case.

Ooo, ooo, I have it! Shamshel would undergo the smallest number of modifications possible to become less "HURR ITS A GIANT DICK" to "HOLY SHIT ITS A GIANT CLAM WITH A HEAD AND LEGS AND TENTACLES, AND SOMETHING ABOUT THAT RED 'PEARL' DOESN'T LOOK QUITE SFW".

Another important note is that when characters act within their stereotypical gender roles..., these reactions are flipped to match the expected reaction

I wonder if this is actually a good idea. The characters who regularly "act their genders" would become entirely unrecognizable.

Just FYI, it's "Shogouki". ("Shi" is one of the ways to say "four", as in ichi-ni-san-shi.)

Masato disparagingly tells her that she's "a big girl now," and to stop whining.

Nice to see you use this, BTW. ;)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

pat457
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby pat457 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:12 pm

Reichu wrote:
pat457 wrote:Ikemen Misato and Ritsuko? :guffaw:

That's a new word for me. :adds to dic:

Ikemen (イケメン) is Japanese slang for 'handsome guys who look rather effeminate'; kind of similar in meaning to bishounen/bidanshi (美男子); thus, in English, it means 'queer eye for the straight guy-ed men.' :grin:

The introduction of the Japanese wikipedia article tells us:

"Ikemen" (イケメン) is in Japanese a slang word referring to a handsome man (bidanshi, 美男子). There also appears in the 6th edition (published 2008) of the Koujien (広辞苑, a rather bulky single-volume Japanese dictionary first published by Iwanami Shoten in 1955; it is usually referred to as the most authoritative dictionary of the Japanese language by many native speakers) an entry for Ikemen (いけ面).
Last edited by pat457 on Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:20 pm

Reichu wrote:I wonder if this is actually a good idea. The characters who regularly "act their genders" would become entirely unrecognizable.

Oh whoops, I should have specified that it was just the few sorts of incidents I mentioned, when the feminine Shinji/masculine Asuka start acting like normal boys and girls. The bridge bunnies are all pretty similar, in my grand scheme.

And thanks for the Shogouki thing. I probably got messed up thanks to Shinko... My brain is messy like that.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:45 pm

Legendary wrote:I should have specified that it was just the few sorts of incidents I mentioned, when the feminine Shinji/masculine Asuka start acting like normal boys and girls.

Is there any particular reason for this, though? It's sort of like running an iron over the character, or, e.g.: "Now that the feminine Shinji has been turned into a girl, we must keep her from making any display of 'masculinity', hence behaviorally and psychologically restricting the character's options to one gender role when this wasn't true of the original."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:08 am

Looking over it, I suspect that the main reason is that I haven't slept well in so long that I don't remember the exact details of the scenes. Looking over the commentary pages, I'm beginning to see that the characters could keep acting in the same way and not seem really weird.

I'll fix this first episode one, and the Asuka's skirt scene will continue as close to the original as I can manage.

EDIT: And now:

A BRIEF SUMMARY OF Mishiranu, tenjō/The Beast:

Shogouki emerges, and Shinko gets a crash course (pun intended) in piloting an EVA. Sachiel latches onto her and delivers a beatdown, fracturing Shogouki's cranium. The scene then suddenly cuts to Shinko waking up in a hospital, where Rei is also being kept. Meanwhile, Gen meets with SEELE, a group of women (one of them a strange hybrid of Alice and Edith Roosevelt) with authority over NERV. They berate Gen for giving Shogouki to Shinko, and note that they will have to act quickly now that the EVAs are public knowledge.

Masato, Ritsuo, and Ibuki oversee the recollection of Shogouki, which has been decapitated. Masato and Ritsuo leave upon news of Shinko's recovery, and Masato meets her in the hospital. The two head for an elevator, where they run into Gen, who stares antagonistically at her daughter. Masato sees it all and thinks Shinko is running away again.

Later, Shinko's arrangements are planned, with Shinko planning on living alone. Masato however, arranges for Shinko to be stationed at his apartment building, much to Ritsuo's shock and horror, neither of which are eased by Masato's jokes. After a brief grocery run for standard bachelor fare, Masato takes Shinko to see the towers rise out of the ground. They then head to Masato's apartment, where Masato is horrified by the messes, beer, and car magazines, not to mention the sound from the refrigerator. She is also repulsed by Masato's heavy drinking and mood swings.

After divvying up the chores so that Shinko is responsible for 90% of the houskeeeping, Masato sends her to take a bath, where Shinko encounters her female roomate, Pen^2. Shinko freaks, and confronts Masato naked. He jokes about it, only furthering her discomfort. After her bath, Masato takes one and calls Ritsuo, who is frustrated with Masato's inability to handle Shinko for a day.

That night, Shinko remembers the battle, Shogouki tearing Sachiel to shreds, the explosion, Shogouki's eye regrowing, and her own terrible scream into the night. Masato, after his bath, tells her that she did a good thing, but Shinko is already so petrified that she doesn't respond.

In case you can't tell, these early action sequences don't really interest me, especially in this case, where nothing would change with Yui in there. Also, like the previous 'episode,' the most drastic changes are in Misato and Gendo, both of whom are... slightly more horrifying. In this gender-swap version, I suspect that Shinko is going to break a LOT more quickly.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:46 am

Legendary, I am really enjoying your versions of the stories. Of course the battles wouldn't change, just the characters. Top notch, IMOImage

I am interested to read what you do with Asuka's introduction. Don't know how wind will expose his tighty-whiteys, unless he wears a kilt.Image
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:58 am

Action_Bastard wrote:I am interested to read what you do with Asuka's introduction. Don't know how wind will expose his tighty-whiteys, unless he wears a kilt.Image

I've got a set-up for this one. However, it's moments like these that have made me decide I will do EoE instead of EoTV. I'd have no idea how to approach Shinko's masculine aggresiveness or her views of Rei's underwear.

Of course, the hospital scene will have to reach new levels of WTF, but that's at least somewhat doable.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:03 am

Legendary wrote:I've got a set-up for this one. However, it's moments like these that have made me decide I will do EoE instead of EoTV. I'd have no idea how to approach Shinko's masculine aggresiveness or her views of Rei's underwear.

Oh darn... I was looking forward to another rousing episode of NGE: GB

Of course, the hospital scene will have to reach new levels of WTF, but that's at least somewhat doable.

Oh man, the anticipation......
MyAnimeList

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:18 am

Huh? Did I use the wrong abbreviation? I only meant I'll do End of Evangelion instead of 25 & 26. Episode three is right here:

A BRIEF SUMMARY OF Naranai, denwa/A Transfer:

The episode opens with Shinko's training sequence against Sachiel, and all the boring technical details like the fact that the EVA units can operate somewhere been 5 minutes and however long it takes for the awesome battle sequence to end without a power supply. Ritsuo and Masato discuss Shinko's submissive personality as Shinko shoots at Sachiel.

The next day, Shinko attempts to wake up Masato, who sends her away and asks her to take the garbage down. As soon as she leaves, Ritsuo calls and asks how well Shinko is assimilating. As no one has called Shinko, Masato assumes that she isn't doing very well. Their dialogue plays over scenes of Shinko's classmates; two girls having a conversation near a sleeping girl, a boy reading some comics, Hikaru talking to his best buds, two nerdy girls reading a comic, three guys playing with each other's hair, two girls listening to another play the guitar, and a couple of smiling boys sitting by the entrance. As Shinko comes in, she stares at Rei, who is looking out the window, still injured.

Keisuke plays with her model airplane and video camera until Hikaru interrupts, asking her where Toki is. Luckily for Keisuke, Toki walks through the door, explaining that her little brother was injured, and that she plans to teach a lesson to the unknown pilot of Shogouki. They discuss Shinko as a probable suspect, but before they can do anything, their aging teacher walks in and starts rambling about stuff that has no importance to the plot I'M discussing. Something about Antarctica or some such.

Shinko gets a call from two boys, asking her if she is the pilot, and she responds with 'Yes.' All the children except Keisuke, Hikaru, Toki, and Rei crowd around her, the boys quizzing her on how she got to be a pilot. Hikaru tries to bring everyone to order, Rei is oblivious, Keisuke takes notes on Shinko's answers, and Toki glares ominously.

Later, Toki punches Shinko, and Keisuke, being a smug little bitch, tells Shinko that it's basically all her fault she got beat up. (Wow, except for the method of punishment, this is exactly how 14-year old girls behave) When Shinko protests that it wasn't her choice, she gets punched again. After the beating, Rei comes up to Shinko and tells her there's an emergency, and that he'll go ahead to headquarters. Meanwhile, Shamshel approaches Tokyo-3.

At the shelter, Toki and Keisuke go to the bathroom together and hatch out their plan to get to see Shogouki, while Shinko is forced to pilot once again. Masato notes that Angels, appearing and making a scene whenever it's most inconvienent, are the kind men hate the most. Shogouki emerges near Shamshel, both of them deploying AT Fields and the like. Shinko, in her first REAL battle (the other time, she didn't really do anything), panics and conceals Shamshel, who emerges, and flings Shogouki to the hill that Toki and Keisuke are on.

With only minutes to spare, Shinko is ordered to get the duo into the Entry Plug and retreat. She disobeys the second half of the order, going berserk and charging down the hill. She stabs Shamshel's core with her Prog Knife, and, thirty seconds later, fully destroys the Angel. Toki and Keisuke are horrified by Shinko's show of force, and Toki resolves to apologize, but three days later, Shinko still hasn't come back to school...

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:08 am

Reichu wrote:
Xard wrote: So Anno DIDN'T do gender swap - there was no Asuka, Misato, Rei etc. before Shinji's/Shinjiko's gender decision - but on surface level it seems so and this tidbit makes the whole thing even more lulzy with its implications

Not sure what you mean by "Anno DIDN'T do gender swap". There is a refreshing amount of gender-role subversion in the cast.

He didn't write Asuka, Rei, Shinji etc. in their opposite genders and then said "gender swap lol" and lifted his magic wand and bang, characters were as we now know them

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:07 am

About the gender flip eva-units... isn't that the MPs? Narrow shoulders and wide hips?

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:23 pm

A BRIEF SUMMARY OF Ame, nigedashita ato/Hedgehog's Dilemma:

Masato wakes on a rainy morning, goes through his morning routine, and attempts to check on Shinko, knocking on her door (with a pink heart on it that reads Shin-chan). When no one answers, he barges in, discovering it empty. Masato isn't surprised, and rushes to the door, hearing the doorbell ring. He thinks it's Shinko without a key, but discovers Toki and Keisuke, who are shocking by Masato's hunkiness. Toki immediately begins speaking, introducing the two, and Masato kindly greets them and gets them away from his front door as quickly as he can. After they leave, he loses his temper and kicks the front door.

That day, Shinko tours the town, riding the Loop Line until it closes, then going to the late night movie theater where she sees a guy with a ribbon in his hair and a girl with a cap on making out, much to her obvious disgust. She sleeps on a bench that night. The next morning, Shinko has some hallucinations, and runs away from them, whilst Masato once again inspects Shinko's empty room and calls her an idiot.

Shinko spends the next wandering from environ to environ, stopping at a suicide cliff, but not actually jumping. Rei is given another check-up that day, and Ritsuo asks Masato about Shinko's whereabouts. Masato remembers the confrontation between him and Shinko, yelling at her about obeying orders, becoming more and more frustrated as Shinko continues to smile through Masato's abuse.

Shinko runs into Keisuke, who is practicing war games, although Shinko doesn't initially recognize the game aspect. While they prepare dinner, Keisuke explains that Toki is sorry for what she did, as her little brother chewed her out about it. Keisuke is also very excited about Shinko's pilot status, and tells Shinko that she envies her for living with such a hot man. When Keisuke expresses interest in becoming a pilot, Shinko asks if her father would be concerned about it, but Keisuke says she doesn't have a father, and shows her knowledge about Shinko's family background.

The next morning, female security agents come to pick up Shinko and take her home. Toki is immensely frustrated about Shinko's 'capture,' and demands to know if Keisuke has any balls. The boys in the class are once again disgusted by Toki. Masato confronts Shinko again, and Shinko expresses her disgust about Masato's purely professional relationship with Shinko, not actually caring about her. Masato storms away, and Shogouki is prepared for Rei to pilot it.

Before leaving, Shinko asks to say goodbye to Masato, but isn't allowed to. At the train station, Shinko meets Toki and Keisuke, who say goodbye, and Toki apologizes, insisting that Shinko punch her back. Shinko reluctantly complies, but has to be told to not hold back. Shinko considers staying, but is dragged away by her female escorts.

Masato begins to regret his treatment of Shinko, and realizes that she pushes everyone away to avoid getting hurt (yeah, I know I took all the build-up for this out, but it wasn't gender-flippy), and rushes to the train station to say good-bye. She arrives almost too late, but Shinko didn't get onto the train, and says, "I'm home," when she sees Masato.
Last edited by Legendary on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:32 pm

Encore, encore!Image These are so fantastic that I might save them in a notepad file! Kudos to Legendary!
MyAnimeList

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:59 pm

Reichu wrote:Ah, thank you! Could use touch-up to make it sound natural. (E.g., "Youth really is something!")

Er, I'm not sure how to touch up something like this since somebody already edited it into English. I meant I just found it as in "JUST finding it online via Fuyutsuki's THAT BOARD MOAR! image gallery links". (Was in a rush with posting that because I had to get off the computer in a few minutes.)

I might be able to take a whack at my own translation of it sometime, but I'm so busy lately it won't be anytime soon. >_<
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”