Eva Meta-science and Morals

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Eva Meta-science and Morals

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:08 pm

Topic was split from a currently locked thread since a cool-down period was given. Play nicely with this one, please. ~SSD

Ja Ayanami wrote:To all those that feel I have committed some sort of crime by starting this discussion, I apologize if I have committed some sort of forum faux pa (forgive the spelling) but I am fairly new to Evageeks and I just didn't think of starting a new thread.
No faux pa. This actually makes for an interesting (and really new) discussion. The complications in the NGE universe just makes an already subjective question even tougher to judge. How do you reconcile meta-science and the morality of incest?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:27 pm

Yojimbo wrote:How do you reconcile meta-science and the morality of incest?

Excellent question.

I honestly don't know myself, but I suppose that meta-science somehow makes this a non issue?

After all, it wouldn't be the first time that things related to science aren't exactly as they are in Eva...for instance, physics in Eva tend to be rather....yeah. :unsure:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:02 am

assuming this is about rei-shinji incest... societal aversion to incest, and its status as a taboo that crosses cultural lines, indicate that it is a behavior that is universally unfavored by evolution. the basis for this is in genetics, but behaviorally, individuals cannot always distinguish their relatives, for example, siblings separated at birth. The natural aversion to sex with a relative is based not on genetics, but rather on the societal relationship with that person.

in other words, Rei and Shinji weren't raised as brother/sister, so its AAAAWWWWWRIIIIIIIIGHT.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:14 am

This was split from that topic, but what I fail to understand is this:

Whether or not there is social stigma with incest, there's still the case that inbreeding really screws up the family's genepool. Children born from incest are not only of lesser intelligence (or some such thing), but they also have several health complications as a result.

How can anybody honestly think that THAT is alright?

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:44 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:How can anybody honestly think that THAT is alright?

The same way they think a girl raping another girl with a tanto scabbard is alright.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:46 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Whether or not there is social stigma with incest, there's still the case that inbreeding really screws up the family's genepool. Children born from incest are not only of lesser intelligence (or some such thing), but they also have several health complications as a result.

who said anything about them having kids? even if they do, its nothing a bit of amniocentesis and FALCON PUNCH can't cure.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:56 am

The problem here is assuming that Rei is *closely* related to Shinji, like brother/sister, cousin/cousin, but considering how the clone was made, Yui DNA with Angel DNA and whatever else they threw in to stablize the genome, I'd say its probably second or third cousins at best, beastiality at worst...

Oh god, I opened a whole 'nother can of worms...
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:00 am

slothen wrote:in other words, Rei and Shinji weren't raised as brother/sister, so its AAAAWWWWWRIIIIIIIIGHT.
Is that a Homestar Runner "AAAAWWWWWRIIIIIIIIGHT", or a Glen Quagmire "AAAAWWWWWRIIIIIIIIGHT"?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:03 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Whether or not there is social stigma with incest, there's still the case that inbreeding really screws up the family's genepool. Children born from incest are not only of lesser intelligence (or some such thing), but they also have several health complications as a result.

Long term? Yes, genetic anomalies pile up and you start getting weird birth defects or hightened suseptibilities to certain diseases.

Short term? Not that big a deal unless they both come from really bad stock.

Rei? We have no reason to think that she even could conceive a child with a human. 'Woman that does not bleed' remember? If if that problem were avoided, there's always the hybrid nature of her existence to likely prevent such pregnancies from being viable.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:14 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:How can anybody honestly think that THAT is alright?

It's not that cut and dry. Morality is a very murky subject in NGE. Certainly not even you would say what Shinji did in the hospital was in any way morally ok reguardless of what Asuka said about it. That's why arguements about the morality of pairings is stupid.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

PartyHard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PartyHard » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:35 am

How can anybody honestly think that THAT is alright?

Safe sex, abortion. No inbreeding, no problemo.
* Kederaji is now officially offended by the Red Cross.
<FraX> How much blood did they want today?
<Kederaji> Well, you know that questionnaire they ask you before they poke you with the needle?
<FraX> Yeah.
<Kederaji> Well, the guy took a look at me and started marking all the sex related questions as "No".
<Kederaji> Didn't even bother to ask me, just marked them "No."
<Kederaji> The bastard.
<FraX> Was he right?
<Kederaji> He was, but that's not the point!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:06 am

NAW-kun wrote:Is that a Homestar Runner "AAAAWWWWWRIIIIIIIIGHT", or a Glen Quagmire "AAAAWWWWWRIIIIIIIIGHT"?

The world my never know. I sorta hope it's the former. ^^;

NemZ wrote: 'Woman that does not bleed' remember?

That line doesn't necessarily refer to Rei, nothing is really side either way with that line and Rei. However, it's possible it's referring to Lilith (her body) since she bleeds LCL and not blood.

CC wrote:assuming that Rei is *closely* related to Shinji, like brother/sister, cousin/cousin, but considering how the clone was made, Yui DNA with Angel DNA and whatever else they threw in to stablize the genome, I'd say its probably second or third cousins at best,

I've been meaning to ask something about this issue you brought up, or at least part of it.

Why exactly do some fans tend to think of Rei/Shinji as brother and sister, anyway? From what I understand, Reichu said something once how genes don't work that way and Rei would still be his mother (seeing as how her DNA is Yui's but her soul is Lilith's).

There's also this that should be taken into account:

Ayanami Rei -- Bandages. Mysteries. Indifference. An object of interest. Mother.
Soryu Asuka Langley -- Girl. Perplexing. Formidable. Indecipherable. Sex.
Katsuragi Misato -- Adult. Superior. Meddlesome. Soldier. Family.
Ikari Gendo -- Harsh. Commander. Hatred. Anger. Father. Father. Father.... ~Evangelion: Death & Rebirth (Special Edition) Theatrical Program Book

Shinji sees Rei as his mother. He even says things about that in the series. Not that he sees her as his sister or a friend or that creepy Angel or his uncle's cousin's wife's former room mate.

So uh, why do some fans think otherwise? Is it just because of their age (Shinji being older than the genetically created Rei), or do genes and such work that way??

AEF wrote:That's why arguments about the morality of pairings is stupid.

Uh, this isn't a thread about pairings/shipping though. It's more about morals and incest in regards to Shinji/Rei yeah, but the point of this thread doesn't have to do with whether or not you support the pairing.

Partyhard wrote:Safe sex, abortion. No inbreeding, no problemo.

1) Safer sex isn't always 100% foolproof though.

2) Not everybody is going to believe in choice, espeically those family members/partners/whoever that literally threaten to kill (or in some cases do) women who have an abortion. Also, there are states that have ALL abortions illegal or have certain restrictions on it...then what? Have the woman risk getting a dangerous back ally abortion or simply raise her inbreed child?

3) Something like adoption instead....I don't even see how that'd be allowed for the child because of how screwed up it would be.

4) There IS that problem society-wise of people being thrown in jail or what have you because of what the law states.

PartyHard
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PartyHard » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:48 am

^You were talking about the inbreeding issue, and I answered just on that. The points you make now are only based on acceptance of abortion and incest by others.

Also, relevant
Last edited by PartyHard on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
* Kederaji is now officially offended by the Red Cross.
<FraX> How much blood did they want today?
<Kederaji> Well, you know that questionnaire they ask you before they poke you with the needle?
<FraX> Yeah.
<Kederaji> Well, the guy took a look at me and started marking all the sex related questions as "No".
<Kederaji> Didn't even bother to ask me, just marked them "No."
<Kederaji> The bastard.
<FraX> Was he right?
<Kederaji> He was, but that's not the point!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:26 am

Okay... gut reaction this time?

Yeah, that's kinda skwicky.

Going into Fanfic Land, If Shinji and Rei managed to get together before that little bombshell got dropped It would still be acceptable to my mind, so long as they don't both just shrug and go back to business... especially so if the tragic misunderstanding is played for all potential drama.

See Oedipus Ikari for what I consider to be an excellent example of the latter.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:12 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Uh, this isn't a thread about pairings/shipping though. It's more about morals and incest in regards to Shinji/Rei yeah, but the point of this thread doesn't have to do with whether or not you support the pairing.

Last I checked R/S is a paring. One you're trying to say is immoral. My point is it doesn't matter what we think.
Oh, but God forbid any of these theories have any validity! After all, we are just brainwashing innocent people with Reichu's fanclub propaganda!--Trigger's Elysium sarcasm for the masses!

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:52 am

Why exactly do some fans tend to think of Rei/Shinji as brother and sister, anyway? From what I understand, Reichu said something once how genes don't work that way and Rei would still be his mother (seeing as how her DNA is Yui's but her soul is Lilith's).

I think it would be funny if Shinji walked up to Gendo and said "Dad I think I have an oedipus complex"

But genetically, wouldnt Rei be about as close to Shinji as a step sister? She shares the genetic material of his mother. But she also shares some angel genetic material, possibly from Lillith instead of material from his dad.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:10 pm

Shinji sees Rei as his mother. He even says things about that in the series.

Of course, there is also a big difference between a girl being his 'mother' and seeing a girl that will 'mother' him...
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:30 pm

My stance: If you wanna fuck your sister, it's not my business and I won't stop you. Just don't be surprised when I give you funny looks and keep a 5-foot distance from you.

Anonymous_Evafan
Minion
Minion

•      
  •      

Postby Anonymous_Evafan » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:59 pm

Defectron wrote:But genetically, wouldnt Rei be about as close to Shinji as a step sister?

I think the phrase you're looking for is half sister.

But she also shares some angel genetic material, possibly from Lillith instead of material from his dad.

Prove it. Yui is the only source given for Rei's genetics.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:22 pm

moralz

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”